PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson

Billychaotic182
07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Gets a lot of flack on here but he was outstanding tonight. Cool as you like even when he is not in his natural position

Think you all will agree this needed a thread on its own. Well done Lewis! 8 more games and he will hit the 200 mark for us

Andy74
07-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Perhaps we can be spared the nonsense the next time the team is announced!!

FromTheCapital
07-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Don't think he was outstanding but I think he done well and put in a good shift... Also, don't think he got a lot of help from Robertson ahead of him who seemed to be quite lazy?

B.H.F.C
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Disagree. Although we got a clean sheet there is no way anyone in that back 4 was outstanding.

Closes the game up as he has to come inside every time he has the ball. Certainly wasn't as bad as Nelson but nowhere near outstanding.

Aldo
07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Gets a lot of flack on here but he was outstanding tonight. Cool as you like even when he is not in his natural position Think you all will agree this needed a thread on its own. Well done Lewis! 8 more games and he will hit the 200 mark for us

Yip performed well but could see he never wanted to overlap but cut inside.

Stood up to challenge and never let team down.

PeterboroHibee
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
He was one of our more composed players on the ball. I like him and Im happy with him in the team, its amazing he is still seen as such an easy target when there are others who are actually not putting in the performances!

As has been suggested, hes 8 games off 200 appearances for us and iirc, 1 season (possibly 2) away from being due a testimonial? Hes been a good servant to Hibs in his time, and has never complained despite being shifted all around the pitch and having constant **** off the supporters

Speedway
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Lewis is not a good player for us in any position and is very hesitant in this play. Didn't see anything tonight to alter that.

Allant1981
07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Lewis is not a good player for us in any position and is very hesitant in this play. Didn't see anything tonight to alter that.

Eh? he has been playing really well recently

greenlex
07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Don't think he was outstanding but I think he done well and put in a good shift... Also, don't think he got a lot of help from Robertson ahead of him who seemed to be quite lazy?
I don't think that's one thing that can be labelled at Robertson. He did leave Stevenson exposed at times but I think it's more to do with being dragged out f position chasing lost causes if anything. He switches off easily too. But never lazy.

LancsHibs
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM
What??? Average at best, looked like a player playing out of position.

Billychaotic182
07-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Have to disagree mate. Feel like no matter how well he plays people on here will never be happy

Winston Ingram
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Crackin wee player. Love Lewis:agree:

Speedway
Have to disagree mate. Feel like no matter how well he plays people on here will never be happy

And why is that?

FromTheCapital
I don't think that's one thing that can be labelled at Robertson. He did leave Stevenson exposed at times but I think it's more to do with being dragged out f position chasing lost causes if anything. He switches off easily too. But never lazy.
Yeah probably a better way of putting it in hindsight, and I really don't think he is a RM. He chases everything which dragged him out of his position leaving Stevenson exposed (pretty much as you said)... :wink:

CB_NO3
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Done the basics ok. His body position is all wrong for a right back and his refusal to make over lapping runs gets us into bother at times. Still, its not his fault he is being asked to play out of position.

adhibs
07-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Done a job but would have even a pretty average natural right back ahead of him

kentao
07-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Another solid performance from Lewis. Really like him and feels he gets alot of undue stick. Cant remember the last time i thought he was the worst performer on the park. Hes not a world beater and wont do anything spectacular in the game but he's reliable, consistent, hard working and does the basic right.

inglisavhibs
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Gets a lot of flack on here but he was outstanding tonight. Cool as you like even when he is not in his natural position

Think you all will agree this needed a thread on its own. Well done Lewis! 8 more games and he will hit the 200 mark for us

He was awful tonight. Couldn't stop crosses, can't get forward. Posted missing at the back post near the end and was saved by Williams. Also gave away a stupid foul in last minute on edge of our box which could have cost us. You can't ever fault Stevenson for effort but he doesn't bring enough to the party for me. He certainly should not be playing right back.

jdships
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Why don't you come out and admit that you do not like LS.- full stop?
No matter how well the lad complains you are right in there tearing him to bits
He was given a job to do and for me he put in a 7/10

While your at it who is your " love child" in this squad - the one who can do no wrong ?

:wink::greengrin:rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Only Hibs player that was 'outstanding' tonight was Williams . Craig's goal was also outstanding play.

All this Stevenson stuff before and after games is getting boring. If he manages to stand on two legs and kick the ball forward he's "Outstanding, Superb, Man of the match" If the ball gets past him or he makes a mistake he's "dire, shouldn't be in team, worst player ever"

He is neither. He is an average player doing an average job for Hibs (sometimes above average, sometimes below average.) Seen better, seen worse. Let's change the record.

matty_f
07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Great to get a clean sheet this evening with Lewis at right back. :aok:

Tyler Durden
07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Outstanding! Keep them coming.

Thecat23
07-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Solid tonight, hope he's picked again next week. Really can't fault him for his work rate and effort.

Tyler Durden
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Great positioning at the back post when the guy volleyed at goal for the first of Williams double save.

Much like his ability to defend the back post for ICTs 2nd goal last week.

Add that to his great overlaps and it's outstanding stuff.

Agree with Spike - Lewis is a solid left back and squad player. He's not a right back, shouldn't be there but gets on with it very professionally.

CmoantheHibs
07-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I thought he put in a solid performance and did his job pretty well. He never let himself or his team-mates down and this is exactly why he is an asset to our squad. To progress as a team though we need more going forward from our full backs.

B.H.F.C
07-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Only Hibs player that was 'outstanding' tonight was Williams . Craig's goal was also outstanding play.

All this Stevenson stuff before and after games is getting boring. If he manages to stand on two legs and kick the ball forward he's "Outstanding, Superb, Man of the match" If the ball gets past him or he makes a mistake he's "dire, shouldn't be in team, worst player ever"

He is neither. He is an average player doing an average job for Hibs (sometimes above average, sometimes below average.) Seen better, seen worse. Let's change the record.

Spot on

Judas Iscariot
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Spot on

Frank Moon
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
If we want to be a good team he wouldn't be in it. Not saying he's the worst or anything but mediocre along with others and if we want to win things and get in to Europe regularly then he wouldn't be part of the team. Pretty limited all round with a big heart but that's not good enough I'm afraid.

erskine-hibby
07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Thought he played ok tonight, but then again, apart from Williams, so did everyone else. Not a right back though. Still, he always does his best wherever he is asked to play.

mmmmhibby
07-10-2013, 10:15 PM
He tries, but has too many mistakes in his locker. squad player at best.

Argylehibby
07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
And why is that?

Because some people don't like certain players and no matter how well they play they can't bring themselves to say yeah he played well. Lewis has been our best player on a couple of occasions this season already but unfortunately that's still not good enough for those posters who made their mind up long ago and wont change it. the opening post was that he played well tonight but some people can't look at tonight in isolation.

By the way I didn't think he was great this evening and would have said Hanlon was better. I will give it 5 posts before someone's on here telling us all how bad he is and how he missed a header etc. etc.

Stantons Angel
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Wow for a minute there i thought i was on the wrong teams forum?

Lewis getting plaudits from the Hibs support.............. Never?

Ive read all the comments and must say i am glad that you have seen Lewis for what he is to us. A reliable non spectacular player who has been played out of his natural position for too many games.

Unfortunately i was unable to make tonights game but watched on stream and had the teleprinter on view from the BBC Sport site. From the live report of the game Lewis was by no means the worst culprit in that defence tonight?

Its good to see him getting some praise on here and that will give his confidence a boost going into two hard home games over the next few weeks.

200 games for a club says a lot about the character of this lad and his staying power after all the slating he has been subjected to on here. No matter what we feel about him he is our longest serving player and deserves a wee bit respect for that alone. Not many players can say in these times they have played so many games for the one club.

Well done Lewis you deserve a bit of praise on here and i hope it helps you on the road to your 200th game in the green and white of Hibs. .............................!

Argylehibby
07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Wow for a minute there i thought i was on the wrong teams forum?

Lewis getting plaudits from the Hibs support.............. Never?

Ive read all the comments and must say i am glad that you have seen Lewis for what he is to us. A reliable non spectacular player who has been played out of his natural position for too many games.

Unfortunately i was unable to make tonights game but watched on stream and had the teleprinter on view from the BBC Sport site. From the live report of the game Lewis was by no means the worst culprit in that defence tonight?

Its good to see him getting some praise on here and that will give his confidence a boost going into two hard home games over the next few weeks.

200 games for a club says a lot about the character of this lad and his staying power after all the slating he has been subjected to on here. No matter what we feel about him he is our longest serving player and deserves a wee bit respect for that alone. Not many players can say in these times they have played so many games for the one club.

Well done Lewis you deserve a bit of praise on here and i hope it helps you on the road to your 200th game in the green and white of Hibs. .............................!

You do realise you have just tee'd it up for the detractors to say that's because nobody else wants him? I can't believe the stick he gets on here and when he is playing out of position to allow an international to play at left back who isn't half the player wee Lewis is just incredible.

SMAXXA
07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I thought McGivern was the hopeless one at the back tonight to be honest. Hanlon and Nelson did well at times couple of mistakes granted. Lewis done alright also, steady but clearly not natural as always wants to come inside onto his left.

no one else to criticise from tonight for me, thought Taiwo wasn't at the races tho so that's 2

B.H.F.C
07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I thought McGivern was the hopeless one at the back tonight to be honest. Hanlon and Nelson did well at times couple of mistakes granted. Lewis done alright also, steady but clearly not natural as always wants to come inside onto his left.

no one to slate from tonight for me, thought Taiwo wasn't at the races tho.

I thought it was Nelson that was by far the worst tonight. His distribution is as bad as I've seen from any centre half at Hibs. It's impossible for us to build anything when he just lumps the ball in whatever direction he happens to be facing.

That said, McGivern and Hanlon weren't far behind. I'm not a Stevenson fan but at the moment he'd be in my team at left back. I think him at right back really hinders us in possession. Having to come inside closes the game and allows teams to get their shape back. It's no coincidence for me that our best league performances have been with a proper right back at right back.

Fergus52
07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
He tries, but has too many mistakes in his locker. squad player at best.

Really?

even when he's not playing well he's always pretty solid, can't remember the last time he made a high profile mistake whilst playing at fullback

Stantons Angel
07-10-2013, 11:06 PM
You do realise you have just tee'd it up for the detractors to say that's because nobody else wants him? I can't believe the stick he gets on here and when he is playing out of position to allow an international to play at left back who isn't half the player wee Lewis is just incredible.

Yes i understand what you are saying but it wouldnt matter how well he played those "detractors" would still come on just for the fun of it to make him the scapegoat for anything they see fit.

Tonight we won, they have decided he wasnt to bad so they are giving him some credit and they should be.

Im just pleased that they are and i hope it makes Lewis feel a little more confident in his play whether its left or right back he is asked to play by his manager.

He wont let us down!

Dashing Bob S
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Well said. Stevenson has become some kind of a symbol for two sets of Hibs fans; a loyal hero for some who are desperate for him to succeed, and a whipping boy for others, for feel he consigns us to mediocrity. A bit of perspective is needed about his performances.

lucky
07-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Lewis is a steady Eddie player. Generally a 6/7 out of 10. I think he is a great squad player due to the number of positions he can play. But on present form I would play him before McGirven at left back.

Shrekko
07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Well said. Stevenson has become some kind of a symbol for two sets of Hibs fans; a loyal hero for some who are desperate for him to succeed, and a whipping boy for others, for feel he consigns us to mediocrity. A bit of perspective is needed about his performances.

It's true but there are also many fans who've been somewhat turned around by him in the past year or two.

I felt he was vastly over-rated by many in the past and had passed up several chances to nail down a place in the team. I still think that was the case, but his showings recently have been admirable and he has proved himself a worthy Hibs player. Ironically I think he's been shafted at the moment having to swap to right-back, as he's our best left-back.

The Baldmans Comb
08-10-2013, 03:40 AM
A very decent first half and two criminal bits of defending in the second half.

He completely lost his man at the back post when Williams saved with his feet for the first of the double saves and right at the death Stevenson was turned so very easily and gave away the free kick in a very dangerous position at the edge of the box.

In between all that he offers nothing going forward but does chip in with some nice thoughtful passing which links in the midfield.

I am not sure why he divides opinion so much as he is just a very ordinary player with many weaknesses and no great attributes other than longevity and a decent enough trier.

lapsedhibee
08-10-2013, 07:16 AM
A very decent first half and two criminal bits of defending in the second half.

He completely lost his man at the back post when Williams saved with his feet for the first of the double saves and right at the death Stevenson was turned so very easily and gave away the free kick in a very dangerous position at the edge of the box.

In between all that he offers nothing going forward but does chip in with some nice thoughtful passing which links in the midfield.

I am not sure why he divides opinion so much as he is just a very ordinary player with many weaknesses and no great attributes other than longevity and a decent enough trier.

IMO Lewis is just a figurehead in a debate which fundamentally polarises the support. The debate is whether being a reliable trier is a good enough reason to be included in a Hibs 1st XI. Those who believe it's not a good enough reason will mark Lewis down no matter how well he plays and those who believe it is a good enough reason will mark him up however poorly he plays. It's Lewis's misfortune to be the embodiment of this divide, and how he actually plays doesn't make that much difference to the general thinking about him.

Aldo
08-10-2013, 07:22 AM
As soon as Maybury or Clancy is fit then it should be McGivern dropping out with Lewis moved to LB.

McGivern was rank tonite and was all over the place.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Stevenson is a great squad player. He's not international class and is a much better LB or LM than he is a RB but he does a decent enough job when constantly played out of position by our crazy manager. As others have said he's a steady eddie type. Most teams in the league would love such a player.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
As soon as Maybury or Clancy is fit then it should be McGivern dropping out with Lewis moved to LB.

McGivern was rank tonite and was all over the place.

I must have watched a different match, i don't remember him doing anything wrong all night? :confused:

Brightside
08-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I must have watched a different match, i don't remember him doing anything wrong all night? :confused:

He had a shocker BH. Out of position all night...at one point further up the park than Heff (and it wasnt during a searching run up the wings) He really isnt a good LB.

calumhibee1
08-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Great positioning at the back post when the guy volleyed at goal for the first of Williams double save.

Much like his ability to defend the back post for ICTs 2nd goal last week.

Add that to his great overlaps and it's outstanding stuff.

Agree with Spike - Lewis is a solid left back and squad player. He's not a right back, shouldn't be there but gets on with it very professionally.

Agreed. Decent enough to have as a squad player to play left back or centre mid but never a right back in a million years. Can't fault his effort though.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 07:47 AM
He had a shocker BH. Out of position all night...at one point further up the park than Heff (and it wasnt during a searching run up the wings) He really isnt a good LB.

So he went on a forward run, this constitutes a shocker these days? Did he let anyone in on goal, or fall on his erse, ball watch and get bullied like others i could mention? :faf:

He did not have a shocker at all. :rolleyes:

Saorsa
08-10-2013, 07:48 AM

Think you all will agree this needed a thread on its own. Well done Lewis! 8 more games and he will hit the 200 mark for usI'm no one that has a go at Stevenson or any other player really, I think Lewis is okay and a good squad player but I wouldnae mind some of what you were on if you thought anything about last night other the Craig's finish and Williams's saves was outstanding. Everybody and everything else about that game ranged from poor at worst tae average at best and it was pretty grim (and that's being kind) viewing. Happy tae take the three points but we stole them, but for Thistle's poor finishing we would have taken nothing from yet another game that we set out no tae lose rather than tae win.

Onion
08-10-2013, 07:55 AM
IMO Lewis is just a figurehead in a debate which fundamentally polarises the support. The debate is whether being a reliable trier is a good enough reason to be included in a Hibs 1st XI. Those who believe it's not a good enough reason will mark Lewis down no matter how well he plays and those who believe it is a good enough reason will mark him up however poorly he plays. It's Lewis's misfortune to be the embodiment of this divide, and how he actually plays doesn't make that much difference to the general thinking about him.

Agreed. Lewis is the embodiment of 6 years of decline, underperformance, poor management and a weak accepting culture at Hibs. Nice lad but symbolises just how far this club has sunk .

dangermouse
08-10-2013, 08:00 AM
So he went on a forward run, this constitutes a shocker these days? Did he let anyone in on goal, or fall on his erse, ball watch and get bullied like others i could mention? :faf:

He might not have had a shocker but it certainly wasn't his finest hour in a Hibs shirt. He somehow seemed reluctant to push forward in the first half, maybe under instructions not to go forward :dunno: but then none of the team seemed to know how to attack until Williams saved the one on one in the second half. That seemed to spur them into action.

At the moment, I'd prefer Lewis as our left back and I think McGivern is a much better centre half than he is a full back

dangermouse
08-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm no one that has a go at Stevenson or any other player really, I think Lewis is okay and a good squad player but I wouldnae mind some of what you were on if you thought anything about last night other the Craig's finish and Williams's saves was outstanding. Everybody and everything else about that game ranged from poor at worst tae average at best and it was pretty grim (and that's being kind) viewing. Happy tae take the three points but we stole them, but for Thistle's poor finishing we would have taken nothing from yet another game that we set out no tae lose rather than tae win.

:top marks Watching the BBC "highlights" shows just how poor the team were last night. Overheard two Thistle fans after the game moaning that we only had one shot on target and scored from it.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Missed at least 3 tackles which were covered by Hanlon (thats not including the 2nd half when Hanlon asked Williams to come out for an over the top ball as Ryan was nowhere to be seen - luckily Hanlon was able to run back and make the tackle in time). Fell over the ball twice in midfield. Had 4 intercepted passes across the final 3rd to set up potential chances for Thistle.

SMAXXA
08-10-2013, 08:10 AM

Wouldnt say it was a shocker but he was poor IMO as he has been the majority of times since the later part of last season despite a great start to the season IMO. Since he got injured last season he's not been the same player for me.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Missed at least 3 tackles which were covered by Hanlon (thats not including the 2nd half when Hanlon asked Williams to come out for an over the top ball as Ryan was nowhere to be seen - luckily Hanlon was able to run back and make the tackle in time). Fell over the ball twice in midfield. Had 4 intercepted passes across the final 3rd to set up potential chances for Thistle.

Now you are just making things up. :faf:

The Sea-gull
08-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Lewis for me is the dictionary definition of average at SPL level. He can do an ok job in a few positions but not a good job in any. He has many good games as he has bad. He never does anything outstanding but never does anything terrible.

Solid, simple, unspectacytular - all word which desribe Lewis.

A player you are always happy to have in your squad but would never see as a certain first team starter if all were fit.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Now you are just making things up. :faf:

I'm not...and for once i honestly didnt see a single 1:1 that Hanlon was bullied on? There forward ended up on the deck everytime. For me if we had Maybury (or Clancy if ever fit) / Forster / Hanlon / Stevenson we would see a strong and consistent back 4. The current situation has players pulled all over the place to cover for others being caught out.

SMAXXA
08-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm not...and for once i honestly didnt see a single 1:1 that Hanlon was bullied on? There forward ended up on the deck everytime. For me if we had Maybury (or Clancy if ever fit) / Forster / Hanlon / Stevenson we would see a strong and consistent back 4. The current situation has players pulled all over the place to cover for others being caught out.

why do people keep thinking Foster is going to to be a first pick, mcPake will play In front of him every day.

Brightside
08-10-2013, 08:25 AM
why do people keep thinking Foster is going to to be a first pick, mcPake will play In front of him every day.

Why? McPake has played one game for the u20s and did nothing to suggest he should be near the first team. Forster played at the end of last season and hardly put a foot wrong. The onyl reason for picking McPake would be to get something back for the wages being paid.

Saorsa
08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
:top marks Watching the BBC "highlights" shows just how poor the team were last night. Overheard two Thistle fans after the game moaning that we only had one shot on target and scored from it.I should have added this tae my last post but missed it out, again nothing tae do with Stevenson but if Maybury was fit (and he was according tae BT sport news) why the **** was he no playing, he's easily been the best player in that position this season and gives better balance, we do look so lopsided when Stevenson is playing there. That's another one for Fenlon tae answer.

It amazes me how some players have some folk in such a fankle with folk posting they were outstanding when they were average at best and other folk posting the same player was dire when they were not. Just seems tae me some folk cannae give an honest opinion on certain players they either love or hate. I'm a big fan of Taiwo, I think he's a great wee player but he was the poorest of the midfield four and I can be honest about that and I think his substitution for OTJ was correct as he was a bit better when he came on. Why can folk no give what seems like an honest opinion of Stevenson without trying tae make him out tae be something great or the worst player they've ever seen of which he is really neither. He's average and a good squad player, nothing mair, nothing less.

hibsbollah
08-10-2013, 08:46 AM
A week is not complete without a Stevenson thread :hilarious

jacomo
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Yup, and in no way is he the biggest issue for us to worry about.

A bigger question would be: why are our options at right-back an injured utility man (Clancy), a coach (Maybury), a rabbit in the headlights (Mullen), or a left back?

Stevenson offers decent cover at left back and left centre midfield, and now at right back too. He's been a good servant to this club and I am happy he's in the squad.

HibbyAndy
08-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Yep. Stevenson would be in my first 11 week in week out.

Unseen work
08-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Actually think mullen is getting unfair criticism, his only real mistake is diving in early and getting booked which makes him nervous with his tackles rest of the game. Discipline him a bit and I think we have a very good prospect

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 05:48 PM

Indeed you must. McGivern was poor and not for the first time either

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I should have added this tae my last post but missed it out, again nothing tae do with Stevenson but if Maybury was fit (and he was according tae BT sport news) why the **** was he no playing, he's easily been the best player in that position this season and gives better balance, we do look so lopsided when Stevenson is playing there. That's another one for Fenlon tae answer.

It amazes me how some players have some folk in such a fankle with folk posting they were outstanding when they were average at best and other folk posting the same player was dire when they were not. Just seems tae me some folk cannae give an honest opinion on certain players they either love or hate. I'm a big fan of Taiwo, I think he's a great wee player but he was the poorest of the midfield four and I can be honest about that and I think his substitution for OTJ was correct as he was a bit better when he came on. Why can folk no give what seems like an honest opinion of Stevenson without trying tae make him out tae be something great or the worst player they've ever seen of which he is really neither. He's average and a good squad player, nothing mair, nothing less.

Pat said before the game J, on Sportsound (spit) that AM was not quite fit enough and so he was left out of the team

Saorsa
08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Pat said before the game J, on Sportsound (spit) that AM was not quite fit enough and so he was left out of the teamThat's fair enough then John, if that's the case then I guess the choice was made for him as there's naebody else.

I wonder who then (if it wisnae Hibs) was responsible for telling BT Sport for their team news he was fit if PF is telling the BBC ****sound team that he wisnae fit, seems a bit odd.

BoltonHibee
08-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Indeed you must. McGivern was poor and not for the first time either

He was honking last night. Constantly out of position, distribution awful with the exception of a few channel balls. Poor in the air. He had a shocker of a game last night

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 08:33 PM
He was honking last night. Constantly out of position, distribution awful with the exception of a few channel balls. Poor in the air. He had a shocker of a game last night

You drunk again? :confused:

BoltonHibee
08-10-2013, 08:37 PM

**** knows what you were watching. If I remember correctly though you fell asleep after 20 minutes, so you missed it all :)

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 08:43 PM
**** knows what you were watching. If I remember correctly though you fell asleep after 20 minutes, so you missed it all :)

I recorded it, and have had it on constant loop all day.

He was majestic in the way he went forward with the ball and tackled like Baresi when called upon in defense.

Plus the way he covered for the inadequate 3 he was alongside was a lesson in football for young and old alike.

Argylehibby
08-10-2013, 08:45 PM

I think that question would be better aimed at McGivern last night. I'd add the header across his own 18 yard box to the Thistle forward late on to the list of his errors last night. The guy is a centre half not a full back and unlike Lewis isn't performing particularly well in his "wrong role".

Jonnyboy
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
As someone who actually thinks Lewis deserves his place in this current Hibs team can I attempt to redress the balance a wee bit in response to those criticising him for a couple of errors last night?

If you watched the game or indeed watched the highlights you'd see that when Nelson completely missed the through ball, that let Doolan through one on one with Ben, it was Lewis that bust a gut getting back to make a challenge. I'm convinced his presence was a factor in Doolan shooting to Ben's left and I think Ben sussed that too which is why he went down that way in saving the shot.

Just saying likes

eastterrace
08-10-2013, 09:02 PM
As someone who actually thinks Lewis deserves his place in this current Hibs team can I attempt to redress the balance a wee bit in response to those criticising him for a couple of errors last night?

If you watched the game or indeed watched the highlights you'd see that when Nelson completely missed the through ball, that let Doolan through one on one with Ben, it was Lewis that bust a gut getting back to make a challenge. I'm convinced his presence was a factor in Doolan shooting to Ben's left and I think Ben sussed that too which is why he went down that way in saving the shot.

Just saying likes
yes your spot on with lewis coming to the players left he could only shoot to the right which ben read, so if he hadnt chased back the the forward could have slotted it either side.

matty_f
08-10-2013, 09:03 PM
I thought McGivern was poor last night but I also think he needs games to get back to full form. On his game, he's by far and away the best left back at the club.

Speedway
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Why don't you come out and admit that you do not like LS.- full stop?
No matter how well the lad complains you are right in there tearing him to bits
He was given a job to do and for me he put in a 7/10

While your at it who is your " love child" in this squad - the one who can do no wrong ?

:wink::greengrin:rolleyes:

Nelson. Freakin' awful, slow and can't pass but I won't hear a word said against him.

Because some people don't like certain players and no matter how well they play they can't bring themselves to say yeah he played well. Lewis has been our best player on a couple of occasions this season already but unfortunately that's still not good enough for those posters who made their mind up long ago and wont change it. the opening post was that he played well tonight but some people can't look at tonight in isolation.

By the way I didn't think he was great this evening and would have said Hanlon was better. I will give it 5 posts before someone's on here telling us all how bad he is and how he missed a header etc. etc.

Look, Lewis Stevenson might for all I know, by the nicest human being ever born, he might donate his wage to Romanian Oprhans and he might cry like a baby every time we lose.

He may also try harder to stand out than a Skinhead at a Madness concert. None of these are substitutes for him being any good at football.

Look at the descriptors employed to describe him in this thread 'Steady Eddie' (= unspectacular), Tries Hard (= no natural ability), Good Squad Player (= Wouldn't have him in the first 11), etc.

When a 36 year old RB is fit enough to play, he won't be there. Now McGivern's back he won't go to left back either. He doesn't have the pace to play left mid well and he's far too wee and ineffectual to be trusted at Centre Mid, which I'm told he reckons is his preferred position.

Why are all these things the case? Because he's not very good.

When folk on here defended Rankin with things like 'Good Engine' and 'Quick Feet' I asked what he brought to the side that we can't get from anyone else and there was no-one who responded.

Therefore, what does Lewis bring to any of the positions he plays in, that we can't get from another player in the squad?

To finish, so as to ensure that this is not a scapegoat scenario, Hanlon is abysmal as well and on Monday, all outfield players played like amateurs. When the side would be improved if Vine were brought on, you know it's bad.

Argylehibby
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Nelson. Freakin' awful, slow and can't pass but I won't hear a word said against him.

Look, Lewis Stevenson might for all I know, by the nicest human being ever born, he might donate his wage to Romanian Oprhans and he might cry like a baby every time we lose.

He may also try harder to stand out than a Skinhead at a Madness concert. None of these are substitutes for him being any good at football.

Look at the descriptors employed to describe him in this thread 'Steady Eddie' (= unspectacular), Tries Hard (= no natural ability), Good Squad Player (= Wouldn't have him in the first 11), etc.

When a 36 year old RB is fit enough to play, he won't be there. Now McGivern's back he won't go to left back either. He doesn't have the pace to play left mid well and he's far too wee and ineffectual to be trusted at Centre Mid, which I'm told he reckons is his preferred position.

Why are all these things the case? Because he's not very good.

When folk on here defended Rankin with things like 'Good Engine' and 'Quick Feet' I asked what he brought to the side that we can't get from anyone else and there was no-one who responded.

Therefore, what does Lewis bring to any of the positions he plays in, that we can't get from another player in the squad?

To finish, so as to ensure that this is not a scapegoat scenario, Hanlon is abysmal as well and on Monday, all outfield players played like amateurs. When the side would be improved if Vine were brought on, you know it's bad.

I really don't care whether Lewis is the nicest bloke on the planet or the worst, what I care about is his ability to play for HFC. To that end I could not disagree more with your opinion. Firstly I think he is the best left back we have at the club just now. Not the best I have seen and not the best in the league but better than anyone else who is contracted to Hibernian FC at this time that I have seen. As a full back his first priority is to defend and he is streets ahead of McGivern in that department. (For the avoidance of any doubt I am not having a go at RM, I believe he is better in central defence.) Take the derby as an example, first half Lewis was at left back and not 1 single cross of note came into the box from that side. Mullen was at right back and was torn to shreds and fortunate not to concede a penalty and get a 2nd yellow card. Half time comes and Lewis moves to right back Ryan comes on as left back. No crosses of note come in from Lewis's sifde of the pitch but they score from a cross put in while RM was turned inside out.

The teams performance on monday night was pretty dreadful but of the 14 on show, more than half performed worse than Lewis and RM was one of them. Could we get a better left back than LS? definately. Do we have a better left back than LS on the books now and able to play? No we don't and until we do he should be playing at left back and given the backing of the fans.

On Hanlon I really wonder what game you were watching on Monday. He made 1 albeit major error when he left a ball that he clearly thought was going through to the keeper but was never going to reach but that apart he won everything and was our best outfield defender on the night.

Seveno
09-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Just saying likes

Quite correct. I spotted that as well. Yet another example of someone who plays for the jersey.

Spike Mandela
09-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I really don't care whether Lewis is the nicest bloke on the planet or the worst, what I care about is his ability to play for HFC. To that end I could not disagree more with your opinion. Firstly I think he is the best left back we have at the club just now. Not the best I have seen and not the best in the league but better than anyone else who is contracted to Hibernian FC at this time that I have seen. As a full back his first priority is to defend and he is streets ahead of McGivern in that department. (For the avoidance of any doubt I am not having a go at RM, I believe he is better in central defence.) Take the derby as an example, first half Lewis was at left back and not 1 single cross of note came into the box from that side. Mullen was at right back and was torn to shreds and fortunate not to concede a penalty and get a 2nd yellow card. Half time comes and Lewis moves to right back Ryan comes on as left back. No crosses of note come in from Lewis's sifde of the pitch but they score from a cross put in while RM was turned inside out.

The teams performance on monday night was pretty dreadful but of the 14 on show, more than half performed worse than Lewis and RM was one of them. Could we get a better left back than LS? definately. Do we have a better left back than LS on the books now and able to play? No we don't and until we do he should be playing at left back and given the backing of the fans.

On Hanlon I really wonder what game you were watching on Monday. He made 1 albeit major error when he left a ball that he clearly thought was going through to the keeper but was never going to reach but that apart he won everything and was our best outfield defender on the night.

All about opinions eh.

I was at the derby at Tynie and thought Stevenson had one of the most abject performances on show that day. It was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Hearts team at Tynie yet they still beat us. Yes the cross in the second half came from RM's position but to suggest from this that somehow Lewis had snuffed them out in the first half is laughable. Hearts barely mustered an attack yet Lewis managed to give the ball away constantly, loads of missed passes and failed to attack at all up the wing. He couldn't even find a man with a throw in that day he was so bad(along with others I am not scapegoating him here)

The cross came in from McGivern's area because he had been trying to attack up the wing and I hold Nelson and William as equally at fault that day for failing to deal with Paterson when the cross came in.

Lewis went on to give some decent performances this season but on this particular day I thought he was woeful.

wick hibby
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM

:aok::aok:

HFCLEGENDS
09-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I think he is really good but he gets dogs abuse