PDA

View Full Version : Match Updates Partick Thistle 0 v 1 Hibernian

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Thecat23
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
?? Not sure where I said that. I am delighted with three points no matter how we got them. I still believe in incremental improvement. The nice football will come IMO. meanwhile, just win the 3 points. Sorry if that upsets the sensibilities of soccer purists. All I want, at the minute, is 3 points. I still disagree with the luck aspect. Thistle were incapable of scoring a goal, that isn't luck, it is because they were not good enough to do so. We did.

We're happy with 3 points as well but surely you can see why people are fed up? Last night I was glad of the 3 points but disappointed with the performance which is the same week in week out. He won't change it believe me because he has the players in now yet still setting up not to lose.

jonty
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
jeezo..if thats what you really think why bother kidding on you go to watch football? Coz thats definitely not on show at ER these days.

I didn't say it wasn't painful. or awful. I said I was glad we won 3 points away from home regardless of how we played.

Thecat23
08-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't worry, I wont. I also wont complain like **** when we win 3pts away from home because we played the one decent piece of football all night.

I'm not settling for this level of football - I'm not moaning my tits off like some, because we're not the finished article.

We can never be the finished article though, no team can. But we can improve to play well as well as win. Sadly there is zero evidence of this. That's why folk were unhappy and you honestly can't blame them. We're all happy with 3 points but I'm far from happy with how we played, as most weeks under Pat not just the odd game.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Has anyone said they weren't happy with the 3pts?

jonty
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
We can never be the finished article though, no team can. But we can improve to play well as well as win. Sadly there is zero evidence of this. That's why folk were unhappy and you honestly can't blame them. We're all happy with 3 points but I'm far from happy with how we played, as most weeks under Pat not just the odd game.

We've played better this season that we did most of last season. I'd say that's improvement.

If Fenlon wins the SC because he's setup teams not to lose, is that going to be a bad thing?

Sudds_1
08-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I didn't say it wasn't painful. or awful. I said I was glad we won 3 points away from home regardless of how we played.

guess we half agree then :wink:

jonty
08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Has anyone said they weren't happy with the 3pts?

Craig scores after super run from Zoubir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ffs

That kind of set the tone :greengrin

By implication, those who are moaning about the those of us who are happy with 3 points
Given that we were barely winning last season, those happy with 3pts are apparently glory hunters.

I dont get this.. we really dont care how we play as long as we win? Why not just play Fifa on Xbox Easy level? If it continues like this people will be bringing books along to Easter Rd.

Jesus, I'm sick of this attitude. It's exactly why we're stuck with the grim, soulless Fenball we have to watch every week. "Grinding out results" will not put bums on seats. People just won't pay the money to be bored ****less watching 0-0 draws and 1-0's. And if they don't pay the money, it's not there to improve the team or take the club forward.

It's incredibly simplistic and stupid to believe that there are only two choices in football - play attractively and lose, or play hapless hoofball and "grind out results". The best teams can play proper football and win games. This isn't Football Manager. People won't pay £60 odd to bring their kids to games to watch robotic dross. And if they don't the future is bleak.

People who advocate "winning ugly" aren't football fans, IMO - just gloryhunters

Thecat23
08-10-2013, 03:10 PM
We've played better this season that we did most of last season. I'd say that's improvement.

If Fenlon wins the SC because he's setup teams not to lose, is that going to be a bad thing?

Well it's not worked the 2 times before so I very much doubt it will this time. Course everyone would love a cup win. I don't think you understand what we're trying to say. The football I don't think has improved. Results prob have but that because we are rotten to play against. Not because we play any better.

JimBHibees
08-10-2013, 03:14 PM

I wish he had set us up not to lose in the two finals we might have had a chance, both playing 442 and being horsed in midfield.

Lucius Apuleius
08-10-2013, 03:20 PM
We're happy with 3 points as well but surely you can see why people are fed up? Last night I was glad of the 3 points but disappointed with the performance which is the same week in week out. He won't change it believe me because he has the players in now yet still setting up not to lose.

People are always going to be fed up mate. There is always something to take negatives from. I prefer to take the positives. As has been said we are sitting on the same points as a team who "has had a great start to the season". Our start was shocking no doubt about it. I do however think getting points on the board at the minute is the most important thing.

Thecat23
08-10-2013, 03:23 PM
People are always going to be fed up mate. There is always something to take negatives from. I prefer to take the positives. As has been said we are sitting on the same points as a team who "has had a great start to the season". Our start was shocking no doubt about it. I do however think getting points on the board at the minute is the most important thing.

I used to be the same mate, it's just run me into the ground watching that week in week out. There is a positive and that's our league position no one can argue that. Be nice if we could just add in some attacking football not 90 mins but have something to shout about. Will just have to wait and see what happens but I honestly don't think Pat will be kept on.

jonty
08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Well it's not worked the 2 times before so I very much doubt it will this time. Course everyone would love a cup win. I don't think you understand what we're trying to say. The football I don't think has improved. Results prob have but that because we are rotten to play against. Not because we play any better.

I wish he had set us up not to lose in the two finals we might have had a chance, both playing 442 and being horsed in midfield.

The point is we got there. We didnt bomb out in the first game. His tactics on the other hand.......

I'm accepting the fact that Hibs wont change overnight and IMO last nights result was an improvement on last season.

I used to be the same mate, it's just run me into the ground watching that week in week out. There is a positive and that's our league position no one can argue that. Be nice if we could just add in some attacking football not 90 mins but have something to shout about. Will just have to wait and see what happens but I honestly don't think Pat will be kept on. Neither do I, but he'll leave the club on a higher league placing, and further on in cup competitions than we've been in some time.

Kato
08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
People who advocate "winning ugly" aren't football fans, IMO - just gloryhunters

One of the funniest things I've ever read on here.

Lucius Apuleius
08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I used to be the same mate, it's just run me into the ground watching that week in week out. There is a positive and that's our league position no one can argue that. Be nice if we could just add in some attacking football not 90 mins but have something to shout about. Will just have to wait and see what happens but I honestly don't think Pat will be kept on.

I know what you mean and I am not knocking it. I personally am just happy to be able to use my ST more than 3 or 4 times a season. I would love to see great football; until it comes, I'll take the 3 points and smile.

JimBHibees
08-10-2013, 03:38 PM
The point is we got there. We didnt bomb out in the first game. His tactics on the other hand.......

I'm accepting the fact that Hibs wont change overnight and IMO last nights result was an improvement on last season.

Neither do I, but he'll leave the club on a higher league placing, and further on in cup competitions than we've been in some time.

It is a great result no doubt which we all want however we need to start playing consistently better overall IMO.

Pete
08-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Where has this clamour for entertainment come from? too many armchair enthusiasts thinking we play in La Liga or the EPL. Maybe Blobby had a point. 3pts first, entertainment second.

I remember when football used to be a sport and was watched by supporters. Now it apparently entertainment and is watched by consumers demanding value for money. Funny you should mention the premiership as I think that definitely has something to do with it.

The opposite of accepting mediocrity is demanding excellence. All I demand for my money is a seat and the ability to cheer on my team.

Sorry, but lump me in with those who are responsible for the poor state of our game. Season ticket holders who support their team regardless...the disease infecting Scottish football. ;-)

Keith_M
08-10-2013, 06:26 PM

How's that possible? We didn't play Partick Thistle last season :greengrin

matty_f
08-10-2013, 06:29 PM
I remember when football used to be a sport and was watched by supporters. Now it apparently entertainment and is watched by consumers demanding value for money. Funny you should mention the premiership as I think that definitely has something to do with it.

The opposite of accepting mediocrity is demanding excellence. All I demand for my money is a seat and the ability to cheer on my team.

Sorry, but lump me in with those who are responsible for the poor state of our game. Season ticket holders who support their team regardless...the disease infecting Scottish football. ;-)
:top marks:

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 06:32 PM

:thumbsup: I think as a support weve had our big strop this season, and since then results have improved, if somewhat dull football wise. Im fed up with searching for the answer, and pointing fingers, I just want to yell and shout for the Hibees. Celtic up next is ideal.

Would help if the players mustered a few more shots though.. :rolleyes:

Andy74
08-10-2013, 06:35 PM

It's not the same every week though is it? We have had some good performances. Admitting it won't do you any harm. Most of is would admit last night wasn't good.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 07:21 PM

Times change, as do prices. Folk rightly or wrongly have more priorities these days, and ARE looking for value for their hard earned cash.

Beefster
08-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Season ticket holders who support their team regardless...the disease infecting Scottish football. ;-)

I'd imagine that most of us who think the football is soul-destroying are ST holders who have been sitting through it for a while now.

rcarter1
08-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Times change, as do prices. Folk rightly or wrongly have more priorities these days, and ARE looking for value for their hard earned cash.

Interesting to know what ticket prices were like compared to wages in say the 70s? £10 today is the same value as approximately £1 in 1973. Were tickets at that time, less than a couple of quid?

khib70
08-10-2013, 07:39 PM

God - someone else spouting this self-righteous nonsense.

Because something's a sport means it can't be entertaining? Being a "proper" supporter means settling for any old garbage provided we can scrape a win? Wanting a team that's entertaining to watch is "demanding excellence"?

We should go back to the "good old days" when football was a sport and was never under any circumstances "entertaining" as "demanded" by namby pamby "consumer" types.?

It may surprise you in your smug bubble that other people, including me, have season tickets. Some of us even have standards. If winning is all that counts, why bother going to the game at all. Just sit in your living room with Final Score on, because that's all that matters. Or maybe Teletext would be more to your liking. It'll be boring, but you don't want to be entertained, right?

Are you responsible for the poor state of our game? If the cap fits........

Pretty Boy
08-10-2013, 07:46 PM

So football fans wishing to be entertained is a new thing?

Makes me wonder why people get excited about Brazil of 1950 and not Arsenal of 1990 or why Hibs supporters weren't just as satisfied by the Miller years as the Tornadoes (they won the same number of national trophies remember).

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Interesting to know what ticket prices were like compared to wages in say the 70s? £10 today is the same value as approximately £1 in 1973. Were tickets at that time, less than a couple of quid?

You know you are getting old when you cant remember what it cost to go to Easter Road in 1970. :greengrin

I found this on google, although don't know how relevant it is in Scotland?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027320/Football-matchday-ticket-prices-soar-1-000-2-decades.html

Kato
08-10-2013, 08:18 PM
All I demand for my money is a seat and the ability to cheer on my team.

:flag:

carnoustiehibee
08-10-2013, 08:27 PM
:flag:

Ill charge you both £400 a season to sit in my shed and listen to sportsound if it's only results that matter.

Kato
08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Ill charge you both £400 a season to sit in my shed and listen to sportsound if it's only results that matter.

That's not giving the team support though.

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Ill charge you both £400 a season to sit in my shed and listen to sportsound if it's only results that matter.Its a fact that only results matter, results give you points, points win you leagues

Pretty Boy
08-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Its a fact that only results matter, results give you points, points win you leagues

Hibs overall trophy haul has been pitiful, as has most teams in Scotland outwith the bigot brothers.

Yet in the last 60 years our only league wins came whilst we had our best team ever and 2 of our other 3 cup wins came when we played good football and entertained.

Coincidence?

SaulGoodman
08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd like to see us play really well but get beat 2-0

Then see if people are still saying the same.

blackpoolhibs
08-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Maybe i'm mad, but i'd like us to play well and hopefully win? :confused: Or is this not an option these days?

SaulGoodman
08-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Maybe i'm mad, but i'd like us to play well and hopefully win? :confused: Or is this not an option these days?

No that's fair enough mate. We'd all love that!

I just think people that say they'd like to see us play well and get beat instead of playing bad and scraping a win would quickly change their mind :aok:

Pretty Boy
08-10-2013, 08:50 PM

If you play well you tend to win more than you lose. I'm not understanding this current argument that seems to be appearing that playing well means lots of noble defeats.

Under Mowbray we had some poor defeats (a couple of hammerings at Tynecastle and a 0-3 loss at home to Livi spring to mind) but we won more than we lost and defeats were somewhat easier to take when we played some great stuff and swaggered into Celtic Park and won 3-1 or Ibrox and won 3-0 (twice).

J-C
08-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Hibs overall trophy haul has been pitiful, as has most teams in Scotland outwith the bigot brothers.

Yet in the last 60 years our only league wins came whilst we had our best team ever and 2 of our other 3 cup wins came when we played good football and entertained.

Coincidence?

Also during the Tornadoes era 72-76 seasons, we had two 2nd's, two 3rd's, a Cup final and a league cup final, add in a a 4th ans a 5th place to that as well and if I remember rightly the football on offer was top class.

MWHIBBIES
08-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Also during the Tornadoes era 72-76 seasons, we had two 2nd's, two 3rd's, a Cup final and a league cup final, add in a a 4th ans a 5th place to that as well and if I remember rightly the football on offer was top class.Yes but even in the 70s you didn't get points for playing nice football, those things were achieved by winning more games than other teams.

J-C
09-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes but even in the 70s you didn't get points for playing nice football, those things were achieved by winning more games than other teams.

But the point being we did it while playing good entertaining football, my best memories of being a Hibs supporter ( 48 yrs now ) is during Turnbull's era, the football was good and we won a hell of a lot more than we lost, this could also be said for the famous 5 era too. We need to get away from accepting mediocrity is ok as long as we win enough to get a top 6 place, we need to aim higher with our points but likewise the style of football we play also. If Partick had a decent strike force, they would've won by 3 or 4 goals the other night, not only that they played us off the park in most areas of the pitch, this should not be allowed to happen but hey ho it's 3 points, crap hoofball and a win is a win no matter how we do it.

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2013, 12:23 AM
But the point being we did it while playing good entertaining football, my best memories of being a Hibs supporter ( 48 yrs now ) is during Turnbull's era, the football was good and we won a hell of a lot more than we lost, this could also be said for the famous 5 era too. We need to get away from accepting mediocrity is ok as long as we win enough to get a top 6 place, we need to aim higher with our points but likewise the style of football we play also. If Partick had a decent strike force, they would've won by 3 or 4 goals the other night, not only that they played us off the park in most areas of the pitch, this should not be allowed to happen but e say, hey ho it's 3 points, crap hoofball but a win is a win.You said it.

JeMeSouviens
09-10-2013, 07:51 AM
But the point being we did it while playing good entertaining football, my best memories of being a Hibs supporter ( 48 yrs now ) is during Turnbull's era, the football was good and we won a hell of a lot more than we lost, this could also be said for the famous 5 era too. We need to get away from accepting mediocrity is ok as long as we win enough to get a top 6 place, we need to aim higher with our points but likewise the style of football we play also. If Partick had a decent strike force, they would've won by 3 or 4 goals the other night, not only that they played us off the park in most areas of the pitch, this should not be allowed to happen but e say, hey ho it's 3 points, crap hoofball but a in is a win.

Exactly. We didn't get 3 points due to some defensive masterplan of ugly winning. We were utterly spawny. Big difference.

Andy74
09-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Exactly. We didn't get 3 points due to some defensive masterplan of ugly winning. We were utterly spawny. Big difference.

Yeah and we are allowed that now and again aren't we? We also have the quality to make these bits of difference whether it be the keeper or Craig's finish.

The way the chat has been over this game suggests other teams, and sucessful treams, just don't have these types of night, well they do, and if we come through them with three points then that's great.

Bigger picture is a very decent run of results and some good performances in there too. Not sure why so many want to deny that?

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah and we are allowed that now and again aren't we? We also have the quality to make these bits of difference whether it be the keeper or Craig's finish.

The way the chat has been over this game suggests other teams, and sucessful treams, just don't have these types of night, well they do, and if we come through them with three points then that's great.

Bigger picture is a very decent run of results and some good performances in there too. Not sure why so many want to deny that?

I can only speak for myself, and won't deny that i was bored ****less with what was on show, and i now watch Jeff Stelling on a Saturday.

What do you say to those like me who have been bored that much they would rather stay at home than bother their arse doing what they have done most of their lives, and go to the football each week?

Do you think they are doing it to make some kind of point, or because they want to punish themselves, or is it because they have just had enough of this pish negative crappy anti football?

Andy74
09-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I can only speak for myself, and won't deny that i was bored ****less with what was on show, and i now watch Jeff Stelling on a Saturday.

What do you say to those like me who have been bored that much they would rather stay at home than bother their arse doing what they have done most of their lives, and go to the football each week?

Do you think they are doing it to make some kind of point, or because they want to punish themselves, or is it because they have just had enough of this pish negative crappy anti football?

You haven't been at the games recently though so I guess you are judging from earlier in the season.

What would I say to people? Nothing - if sitting at home is better than going to the football then great. Even when we aren't playing well I still go to watch so each to their own.

cabbageandribs1875
09-10-2013, 08:58 AM
That's not giving the team support though.

but it would make them less nervous though

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
You haven't been at the games recently though so I guess you are judging from earlier in the season.

What would I say to people? Nothing - if sitting at home is better than going to the football then great. Even when we aren't playing well I still go to watch so each to their own.

Thats correct the last game i was actually at was Malmo at Home, i have watched the games that have been on the telly and the highlights, and from those there's been nothing to temp me back.

Sitting at home has become better for me than going, and its getting a lot easier now. I will still watch the highlights and live tv games, but this kind of football is and never will be for me.

J-C
09-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Whether it was at the start of this season or now, the football on show has been shocking, yes we've won a couple of games but we did it in an ugly fashion. We had 1 decent performance and then a good 1st half in the League cup(until we decided to go back to the usual dross). You and many more like you may be happy winning 34% of games with ugly negative football but it's no coincidence that when we played attractive football we also had winning teams. Hugh Shaw (famous 5) 51.49% win ratio, Eddie Turnbull 48.24%, Alex McLeish 46.95%, Tony Mowbray 48.15% and John Collins 42.59%.
My god even Miller and Williamson had better win ratio's than Fenlon, yet you still stick by him through thin and thin.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Whether it was at the start of this season or now, the football on show has been shocking, yes we've won a couple of games but we did it in an ugly fashion. We had 1 decent performance and then a good 1st half in the League cup(until we decided to go back to the usual dross). You and many more like you may be happy winning 34% of games with ugly negative football but it's no coincidence that when we played attractive football we also had winning teams. Hugh Shaw (famous 5) 51.49% win ratio, Eddie Turnbull 48.24%, Alex McLeish 46.95%, Tony Mowbray 48.15% and John Collins 42.59%.
My god even Miller and Williamson had better win ratio's than Fenlon, yet you still stick by him through thin and thin.

Re your last sentence, I find it utterly bizarre that someone should be given flak for backing a manager who has just won a match and is on a run of 1 defeat in 7 games (v the team who were at that point top of the league).

I didn't enjoy the game on Monday night. Neither team played good football. I'm delighted we won, much happier to come away with 3 points and a s#!t performance than I would have been if we'd passed them off the park and not won. At full time I was much happier than I imagine the Partick fans were.

Imho the team and the manager deserve more credit from the support than we're giving them. At the moment, even when they win they can't win.

wookie70
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Football is about emotions to me. Hibs won on Monday and I felt frustrated and disappointed. I was happy that I had changed my mind and watched on the TV rather than making the effort to go to the game. I am often happier and more content with the Team after a draw as long as we have played well and looked to win the game. One of my favourite Hibs games was the Athens game. We got knocked out but boy were we entertained. Yes we won on the night but it was ultimately a failure. How we play is very important to me and I wouldn't be keen to renew season tickets if that is the way we are going to play all season. Goals and Glory the song goes and I will be hoping for both.

If Pat's plan is to play like this away from home and open up a bit at Easter Road then I will be slightly happier. What does confuse me though is that we look better in all areas when we try to play the right way. The 10 mins after we scored we kept the ball really well and looked really comfortable. Movement was better and everyone looked to get on the ball. Why don't we try that from the start of games.

leggeto
09-10-2013, 10:11 AM
A sign of a good team when you play badly and still pick up 3 points,partick have been doing that to all the teams they play,under mowbery we played great stuff and still lost a lot of games

Nailrod
09-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I didn't enjoy the game on Monday night. Neither team played good football...Eh? You must have been watching a different game from me.

Partick Thistle were excellent. They were fast, fluid, confident and aggressive. I don't quite see how a team that had 16 attempts on goal, 6 of which were on target and about 10 of which were genuine goalscoring opportunities, could be said to have 'not played good football'.

Golden Bear
09-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Re your last sentence, I find it utterly bizarre that someone should be given flak for backing a manager who has just won a match and is on a run of 1 defeat in 7 games (v the team who were at that point top of the league).

I didn't enjoy the game on Monday night. Neither team played good football. I'm delighted we won, much happier to come away with 3 points and a s#!t performance than I would have been if we'd passed them off the park and not won. At full time I was much happier than I imagine the Partick fans were.

Imho the team and the manager deserve more credit from the support than we're giving them. At the moment, even when they win they can't win.

I beg to disagree! If Hibs even tried to play the game in the same fashion as Thistle then that would be an improvement for me.

Ok on this occasion the "non football" team prevailed but the actual performance didn't meet with much approval from fans, foes or even neutrals.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Eh? You must have been watching a different game from me.

Partick Thistle were excellent. They were fast, fluid, confident and aggressive. I don't quite see how a team that had 16 attempts on goal, 6 of which were on target and about 10 of which were genuine goalscoring opportunities, could be said to have 'not played good football'.

Opinions, eh?

Andy74
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM
I beg to disagree! If Hibs even tried to play the game in the same fashion as Thistle then that would be an improvement for me.

Ok on this occasion the "non football" team prevailed but the actual performance didn't meet with much approval from fans, foes or even neutrals.

We passed the ball and played better than Thistle did the other night when we played St Johnstone and also St Mirren.

So, we are capable of it.

The suggestion that we would be improved if we were in Partick's position though is a strange one.

In the days were we passed the ball about regardless and didn't win games we were dying for a Plan B.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Partick played nicer football than we did for most of the match but let's not pretend we never had moments where we brought the ball down and passed it as well.

And if Partick's performance was excellent then standards have fallen much lower than I thought. Partick had plenty hoofs up the park and stray passes as well. You'd think we'd played Barca, ffs.

Golden Bear
09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
We passed the ball and played better than Thistle did the other night when we played St Johnstone and also St Mirren.

So, we are capable of it.

The suggestion that we would be improved if we were in Partick's position though is a strange one.

In the days were we passed the ball about regardless and didn't win games we were dying for a Plan B.

That's not what I'm saying though is it?

I'm on about their style of play, the fluency of their football, and dare I say it - the occasional bit of excitement.

Andy74
09-10-2013, 10:52 AM

I'm on about their style of play, the fluency of their football, and dare I say it - the occasional bit of excitement.

I get quite excited when Hibs score goals and win games. I've been off my seat a few times in every game that Zoubir has played in as well.

Good luck looking for that too often with Thistle.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 10:53 AM

The occasional bit of excitement such as seeing the ball skelped inti the top corner?

Golden Bear
09-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I get quite excited when Hibs score goals and win games. I've been off my seat a few times in every game that Zoubir has played in as well.

Good luck looking for that too often with Thistle.

:agree:

However it remains to be seen whether or not PF will ever "risk" playing the guy from the start.

Nailrod
09-10-2013, 11:08 AM
In the days where we passed the ball about regardless and didn't win games we were dying for a Plan B. I've been watching Hibs for more than 50 years now, and I don't recall this mythical period you love to reference where we "passed the ball about regardless and didn't win games".

Did it happen some time in the 19th century?

Nailrod
09-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Opinions, eh?Look. In all the 9 SPL matches this season Hibs have had a total of 29 attempts on target. Thistle had at least ten genuine goalscoring opportunities on Monday alone.

But if it makes you any happier, they were all flukes and Thistle were rubbish.

Kato
09-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Eh? You must have been watching a different game from me.

Partick Thistle were excellent. They were fast, fluid, confident and aggressive.

Yeah, I must have been watching a different game as well.

They were decent in patches of the game and at other times were just as bad as us.

The best move of the game came from Hibs.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Look. In all the 9 SPL matches this season Hibs have had a total of 29 attempts on target. Thistle had at least ten genuine goalscoring opportunities on Monday alone.

I didn't say they were rubbish, I said they weren't excellent. Neither side were what I'd describe as 'good' on Monday night.

I take it Partick have scored a lot more than we have and are comfortably ahead of us in the league?

Nailrod
09-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I didn't say they were rubbish, I said they weren't excellent. Neither side were what I'd describe as 'good' on Monday night.
I take it Partick have scored a lot more than we have and are comfortably ahead of us in the league?What's that got to do with how well they played on Monday night? Are you lying about your age?

LeithBoozy
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I must have been watching a different game as well.

They were decent in patches of the game and at other times were just as bad as us.

The best move of the game came from Hibs.

Bang-on Kato, we needed the 3 points and picked up the 3 points, any win away in this league is a good result.

matty_f
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
What's that got to do with how well they played on Monday night? Are you lying about your age?

You brought in our season stats to the debate so I thought it was fair game to discuss Partick's.

As for my age, you might want to review your posts and your inability to respond to points without an arsey comment before slinging mud about other poster's immaturity.

JeMeSouviens
09-10-2013, 01:21 PM

It has been a good run of results and after the reports from St Johnstone and seeing the St Mirren game, I thought we had really turned a corner. If Monday night was just an off night when things didn't click then fair enough but my worry is that it was down to safety first tactics. I think Pat Fenlon's default position after a bad result is to go into the next game with a negative, park the bus mentality where the midfield are not allowed within 30 yards of the forwards and any passing moves are worked backwards to the goalie to hoof it up the park while everyone stays in a lovely compact shape.

Even that might be ok if it worked, and I think a lot of people on here are trying to suggest it did on Monday. I disagree, I think the evidence from the games on Monday and v Well, Hearts and Ross County shows that if we play negatively we will more than likely end up with nothing. If we play with a bit of freedom as vs the Sts Johnstone and Mirren, we will, over the piece, do better (and not bore the tits off everyone).

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 01:31 PM
It has been a good run of results and after the reports from St Johnstone and seeing the St Mirren game, I thought we had really turned a corner. If Monday night was just an off night when things didn't click then fair enough but my worry is that it was down to safety first tactics. I think Pat Fenlon's default position after a bad result is to go into the next game with a negative, park the bus mentality where the midfield are not allowed within 30 yards of the forwards and any passing moves are worked backwards to the goalie to hoof it up the park while everyone stays in a lovely compact shape.

Even that might be ok if it worked, and I think a lot of people on here are trying to suggest it did on Monday. I disagree, I think the evidence from the games on Monday and v Well, Hearts and Ross County shows that if we play negatively we will more than likely end up with nothing. If we play with a bit of freedom as vs the Sts Johnstone and Mirren, we will, over the piece, do better (and not bore the tits off everyone).

Good post, Folk who complained about the tactics are the ones who have seen us play this way in most games. Saints game we played some good stuff and happy to admit that. Yet the folk constantly bumming up Fenlon won't admit Hibs are rubbish to watch. they are have sly digs saying "we need to play like Brazil to make us happy" clearly all we want is a team that wins but with some football being played. They skip over valid points like the football we played when we last won a cup. you very rarely win with the hoofball style and sitting in hoping for a break. I don't mind having a good debate about it but some of the folk went so defensive you would think they were Pat himself.

Andy74
09-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Good post, Folk who complained about the tactics are the ones who have seen us play this way in most games. Saints game we played some good stuff and happy to admit that. Yet the folk constantly bumming up Fenlon won't admit Hibs are rubbish to watch. they are have sly digs saying "we need to play like Brazil to make us happy" clearly all we want is a team that wins but with some football being played. They skip over valid points like the football we played when we last won a cup. you very rarely win with the hoofball style and sitting in hoping for a break. I don't mind having a good debate about it but some of the folk went so defensive you would think they were Pat himself.

You don't mind debating but you are going to name call when people just have a different view?

There's lots of negative posts and some pretty personal abuse of Fenlon and others, I'm sure you can all handle the odd argument against.

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 02:02 PM
You don't mind debating but you are going to name call when people just have a different view?

There's lots of negative posts and some pretty personal abuse of Fenlon and others, I'm sure you can all handle the odd argument against.

I'm not name calling at all. Having a different view is what makes this interesting. It's when folk talk rubbish when others are trying to say valid points and stated valid points to be then shot down with sarcasm Andy. Now i'm sure you can understand my point?

I've agreed with many things you have said regarding Hibs. The results for a start lately have been good and i'm happy to collect 3 points. But when folk start saying "Fans won't be happy unless playing like Brazil" when clearly that isn't what anyone has said I'm sure you can expect someone to be pissed off.

I also don't agree with personal abuse of Fenlon and I haven't abused him in a personal way either. I questioned his tactics which are dull, boring and out of date.

Answer me this..

We won a cup playing football not hoofball. It's the basics of a game playing it along the grass to a team mate not hoofball. these are facts Andy not lies. It's harder for an opposing team to get the ball when they are made to work for it by us keeping it and using it well. These are all basic stuff that is why i'm losing patience watching Fenlons style of play. It's three years and it's not changed much has it? He has his own team and still is very negative in how narrow he plays the team. can you argue with any of this? If so i'll be happy to listen mate.

RSS Bot
09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Smash and grab victory

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10290~71424,00.html)

kentao
09-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Look. In all the 9 SPL matches this season Hibs have had a total of 29 attempts on target. Thistle had at least ten genuine goalscoring opportunities on Monday alone.

16 chances against a team that was setup to be hard to beat. if a teams getting 16 chances the tactics aint working. How many chances did we have ? 6 according to the bbc website.

With the quality we have we should be the team having the majority of the chances not feeding off scraps.

Lucius Apuleius
09-10-2013, 03:45 PM
16 chances against a team that was setup to be hard to beat. if a teams getting 16 chances the tactics aint working. How many chances did we have ? 6 according to the bbc website.

With the quality we have we should be the team having the majority of the chances not feeding off scraps.

16 chances or 16 shots on target? Pretty cr@p strikers huh?

kentao
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
16 chances or 16 shots on target? Pretty cr@p strikers huh?
6 on target but for a team to create 16 shooting opportunities against a team who are set up to limit the amount of chances the other team have isn't great.

marinello59
09-10-2013, 04:17 PM

16? Are you sure? I didn't count that many on target myself.
I am no fan of our manager and thought the stuff we played the other night was dreadful to watch. But as these threads go on it seems that the way Thistle played gets better and Hibs performance gets worse. If only we had managed to win the game instead of being hammered.

Hibby 2005
09-10-2013, 04:26 PM

A perfect summation of Pat Fenlon's Hibs.

Keith_M
09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Just a quick question.

Did we win on Monday or has the game been awarded to Partick in the two days since?

I'm beginning to wonder, given such a large number of negative comments.

marinello59
09-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Just a quick question.

Did we win on Monday or has the game been awarded to Partick in the two days since?

We are refusing to accept the win and demanding a replay. It's the right thing to do. :agree:

Andy74
09-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Just a quick question.

Mad, isn't it, and considering the 9 points from 12 and 1 loss in 8 games it's a bit more perpelxing just how much reaction there is to a win.

I do get the points made to some extent but we are hardly alone in having those type of performances away from home.

Two weeks of this to go as well, magic. I'm sure losing to Celtic will be the next sign that we are doomed.

Sudds_1
09-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Mad, isn't it, and considering the 9 points from 12 and 1 loss in 8 games it's a bit more perpelxing just how much reaction there is to a win.

I do get the points made to some extent but we are hardly alone in having those type of performances away from home.

Two weeks of this to go as well, magic. I'm sure losing to Celtic will be the next sign that we are doomed.

see this is what I think is being misunderstood here.........its NOT about the win. Its about the manner of the win and the way we're being set up to play.............:rolleyes:

Andy74
09-10-2013, 06:07 PM
see this is what I think is being misunderstood here.........its NOT about the win. Its about the manner of the win and the way we're being set up to play.............:rolleyes:

I get that.

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 06:25 PM

I fully expect a loss to Celtic no matter how we set up. So I don't think it's fair to hammer Pat for a defeat against the best team in Scotland.

So since you never gave me a "debate" on my previous post I'm assuming you agree with my points I made? Maybe now that I explained it and how I'm not moaning about a win but actually the style and how it would benefit all seeing a team that can win grinding results "now and then" not weekly. The fans would come back as even you can't deny the drop and Petrie would be happy... fans = money after all.

kentao
09-10-2013, 06:26 PM

The performance would have been fine if it was just a one off or against a difficult away team. We have played like this in all out games apart from 3. St Mirren home, St Johnstone and Killie away. The rest of the time its been garbage.

Beefster
09-10-2013, 06:55 PM

I think most folk are expecting a loss but the manner of any defeat matters. If we take another spanking without a shot on target or really stringing two passes together, you're right, some won't be happy.

Aldo
09-10-2013, 07:07 PM
I fully expect a loss to Celtic no matter how we set up. So I don't think it's fair to hammer Pat for a defeat against the best team in Scotland. So since you never gave me a "debate" on my previous post I'm assuming you agree with my points I made? Maybe now that I explained it and how I'm not moaning about a win but actually the style and how it would benefit all seeing a team that can win grinding results "now and then" not weekly. The fans would come back as even you can't deny the drop and Petrie would be happy... fans = money after all.

Tbh i remember during the Latapty/Sauzee era we played bad but won but we still didn't play as bad as we are at the moment.

It's not about winning or losing I think it's the manner in which we are winning or losing that folk are really miffed about.

Going thro a game hoping the back4 or keeper play blinders or don't make a mistake and hoping that if (and that's if) we get a chance we take it, just like Monday nite is becoming the norm.

That's not how we should be playing IMHO. We should be taking the game to the opposition.

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Tbh i remember during the Latapty/Sauzee era we played bad but won but we still didn't play as bad as we are at the moment.

It's not about winning or losing I think it's the manner in which we are winning or losing that folk are really miffed about.

Going thro a game hoping the back4 or keeper play blinders or don't make a mistake and hoping that if (and that's if) we get a chance we take it, just like Monday nite is becoming the norm.

That's not how we should be playing IMHO. We should be taking the game to the opposition.

There defo was games back then when we didn't play well. But we did play with width with that side and you knew it wasn't a weekly thing. Sadly it is now. Defo should be going out and expressing ourselves that is what football is.

Aldo
09-10-2013, 08:19 PM
There defo was games back then when we didn't play well. But we did play with width with that side and you knew it wasn't a weekly thing. Sadly it is now. Defo should be going out and expressing ourselves that is what football is.

Yip

The days of 3-5-2. Now there was a team. I will say outstanding and a real shame we played at the same time as an outstanding Smellic team.

Played bad yet win (but really didn't okay bad bad, if you get ma drift )

O for a team of that quality right now.

Emerald
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM

You are correct. The difference back then was we accepted bad performances because they were a blip and not the norm, we still attempted to do the right things. We now have a situation when a couple of good performances are the blip and the bad performances are the norm. People will accept that teams can't be great all the time if they at least try to win matches. :agree:

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Yip

The days of 3-5-2. Now there was a team. I will say outstanding and a real shame we played at the same time as an outstanding Smellic team.

Played bad yet win (but really didn't okay bad bad, if you get ma drift )

O for a team of that quality right now.

To watch that team again would be something else. I mind I was sat in the old boxes in the main stand with Zetelli. He had just signed and we played a high flying Dundee side that day. (Yes high flying) :)

We went a goal down but hammered them 5-2 or something with Agathe scoring one of my personal best goals at ER. Took on just about everyone while they were trying to boot him and scored. No idea what Zetelli was saying as I'm not French but him and his agent couldn't believe how good we were that day.

Aldo
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
To watch that team again would be something else. I mind I was sat in the old boxes in the main stand with Zetelli. He had just signed and we played a high flying Dundee side that day. (Yes high flying) :) We went a goal down but hammered them 5-2 or something with Agath scoring one of my personal best goals at ER. Took on just about everyone while they were trying to boot him and scored. No idea what Zetelli was saying as I'm not French but him and his agent couldn't believe how good we were that day.

Was at that game with wee bro. Had to sit in South upper as rest of ground sold old. Agathe was immense that day.

Cabrelllo etc for Dundee. Different class in those days mate

Thecat23
09-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Was at that game with wee bro. Had to sit in South upper as rest of ground sold old. Agathe was immense that day.

That's right, Dundee had a cracking game and they filled their away bit with Hibs fans right next to them. It was packed! Just shows when you do have a team that plays entertaining football and winning crowds will come back. Granted we don't have those players but it's not hard to move a ball forward and get the players moving into space. Stuff you will prob have learned at school mate to be honest or boys club.

Aldo
09-10-2013, 08:33 PM
That's right, Dundee had a cracking game and they filled their away bit with Hibs fans right next to them. It was packed! Just shows when you do have a team that plays entertaining football and winning crowds will come back. Granted we don't have those players but it's not hard to move a ball forward and get the players moving into space. Stuff you will prob have learned at school mate to be honest or boys club.

Yip. Attacked minded free flowing football with players who cared (or who played like they did anyway).

Diclonius
09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Can I be really dramatic and over the top and suggest that absolutely everything hinges on the result on the 30th October?

The Falcon
09-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Was the West demolished then as well hence the attendance of 12075?

kentao
09-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Can I be really dramatic and over the top and suggest that absolutely everything hinges on the result on the 30th October?

If fenlon sets the team up to put in the same gutless performance that we did at the PBS and the results the same I never want to see him anywhere near Easter Road again

Kato
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
If fenlon sets the team up to put in the same gutless performance that we did at the PBS and the results the same I never want to see him anywhere near Easter Road again

Tactics don't define the guts shown or the performance shown. It's up to the players to show some guts and perform.

There is an old football adage which was around long before Championship Manager, pundits dissecting games to show things that are in their imagination or even tactics themselves - "Once the players are over the white line there is nothing the manager can do".

I doubt very much any manager has ever set a team up to be gutless or prepared them not perform.

Some posts on here are getting very silly and convoluted in their attempts to drag the manager down.

Gatecrasher
10-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Fenlon is still in the bad books with me about the last performence against them so if we lose at the end of the month I will consider that to be yet another sackable offence he has commited.

I see the performance on Monday as worrying more than anything else. Yes we got the 3 points and thats great however for a team that has lost 1 in 7 we don't perform like one and just like last season when we were going through a similar string of results it caught up with us and with the run of fixtures that we coming up that will probably come sooner rather than later. All this talk about hard fought victory etc is just pish. We were dire on Monday leaking chances to Partick time after time and could hardly string 2 passes together and if we play like that against Celtic we could be in for a 3 or 4 nil hammering.

Northernhibee
10-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Fenlon is still in the bad books with me about the last performence against them so if we lose at the end of the month I will consider that to be yet another sackable offence he has commited.

I see the performance on Monday as worrying more than anything else. Yes we got the 3 points and thats great however for a team that has lost 1 in 7 we don't perform like one and just like last season when we were going through a similar string of results it caught up with us and with the run of fixtures that we coming up that will probably come sooner rather than later. All this talk about hard fought victory etc is just pish. We were dire on Monday leaking chances to Partick time after time and could hardly string 2 passes together and if we play like that against Celtic we could be in for a 3 or 4 nil hammering.

Bloody hell.

Gatecrasher
10-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Bloody hell.

care to expand on that? I just re-read what I posted and it reflects how I feel about our performance earlier this week quite well.

Northernhibee
10-10-2013, 06:53 AM
care to expand on that?

If that's you after a win I'd hate to see you after we've lost.

Gatecrasher
10-10-2013, 06:54 AM
If that's you after a win I'd hate to see you after we've lost.

to be honest I'm usually pretty upbeat about most things to do with Hibs but I don't see much to be upbeat about the way we play at the moment.

GlenrothesHibee
10-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Can we not just adopt the 'big team' mentality and call ourselves brave warriors or something? Being angry at 1-0 victories is a very 'wee team' thing to do is not?

spike220
10-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I am trying desperately to understand what his thread is about and I just cant figure it out.

ahibby
10-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I was pretty much fuming at times during the game, but there's nothing new there. Overall I thought the manager was canny. His substitutes worked and both were involved in our goal. Yes if Partick had taken their chances they would have won the game. We were not an attractive team to watch in the first half but gradually got better as the game went on. I thought going by performance that Hefferman should have been substituted and not Collins and yet Heffernan nearly knicked a goal after Collins went off, so what do I know. Our goalie is allowed to have a good game and he was more responsible for our win than the rest of the team although they all contributed. He was rightly the man of the match. However, Martin slipped allowing their forward through that's not bad team play that's bad luck. Okay they should have scored with the header in the firs half, but they didn't even get it on target. Their cross to the back post in the second half was a good in but it's easy to drop it in there when our right back is small, most crosses will go over his head. Who is to say that if Partick had scored it wouldn't have fired us in to life and made us score two? Not pretty I agree but we played like a big team having another off night. They say football is a lot about confidence and maybe winning three games away from home will start to give them just that. Our team is also unsettled McGivern coming back Zoubir being introduced and Stevenson being played out of position. I don't think I'll ever be entirely satisfied with our standard of play under current management, but who knows? Most of you by the sounds of it.

Hibee87
10-10-2013, 07:37 PM
FFS this thread still going........at the end of the day we got 3 points, if we played like that every game and won 1 -0 we would be the league champions, would anyone moan then?

if we play that bad and are not picking up points then fine, have a moan. if were getting the points then great who cares in which mannor? being a hibby has been ***** the last 4-5 year just be happy were getting points and sitting ok for the moment. its as if most folk are moaning about something so if/when things go tits up they can be all smug and say 'told you so'

HibbyAndy
10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
My dad sais hibs have been shight since the 70's

Billy Whizz
10-10-2013, 07:45 PM
FFS this thread still going........at the end of the day we got 3 points, if we played like that every game and won 1 -0 we would be the league champions, would anyone moan then?

if we play that bad and are not picking up points then fine, have a moan. if were getting the points then great who cares in which mannor? being a hibby has been ***** the last 4-5 year just be happy were getting points and sitting ok for the moment. its as if most folk are moaning about something so if/when things go tits up they can be all smug and say 'told you so'

3 points goes a long way

Carheenlea
18-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Tactical analysis on the game - http://terracepodcast.net/scottish-premiership/2013/10/8/tactical-analysis-partick-thistle-v-hibernian