PDA

View Full Version : hibs eos 8 v 0 berwick reserves

oconnors_strip
05-10-2013, 04:19 PM
another great 3 points for the young lads today, they beat berwick reserves 8-0 in the league. thats 7 out of 7 wins in the league :thumbsup:

was a very enjoyable game to watch, scorers were mccaffrey with a hattrick, doyle 2, beaton, martin and todd

hhibs
05-10-2013, 05:42 PM
another great 3 points for the young lads today, they beat berwick reserves 8-0 in the league. thats 7 out of 7 wins in the league :thumbsup:

was a very enjoyable game to watch, scorers were mccaffrey with a hattrick, doyle 2, beaton, martin and todd

Many thanks for the update,sounds all very positive:top marks

Andy74
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Does this league seem like a bit of a waste of time? Wonder what the other teams are thinking of this too ?

oconnors_strip
05-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Does this league seem like a bit of a waste of time? Wonder what the other teams are thinking of this too ?

no way is it a waste of time! we entered a team so young players can play at least one game a week as some wouldnt feature much for the spfl under 20 league team. its all about getting the fitness and strength up, building the lads confidence and working on new ideas and skills.

even though we have had some high scoring games the players have had to dig deep to achieve these!

SMAXXA
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
May be a daft question given the score but how did the Berwick keeper do?

oconnors_strip
05-10-2013, 05:57 PM
May be a daft question given the score but how did the Berwick keeper do?

he done well at times, managed to keep the goals to single figures!

Golden Bear
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I think there could be yam influences in the E of S website as they continue to show the scoreline as 0 - 0. And not for the first time this season!

Bobo
05-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Wouldn't say it's a waste of time, Hibs couldn't start in the EOS Premier Division so had to start in the division below and seek promotion. They'll do this and have sterner opposition from next season when they can regularly play the better EOS teams.

Meantime, our U20's have the benefit of additional matches and game time against more physical opponents rather than just competing in their normal U20 league.

When you include the added interest these matches give to supporters, I think it's a good move all round.

Ceebs
05-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Went along with the daughter today again, excellent performance again, thought Berwick were a shade unfortunate to lose by as big a margin but in fsirness the young guys coped well, especially with one or two meaty challenges flying in.

Also agree that our involvement in this league helps big time in making these up and coming youngsters streetwise at an early age.

Definitely impressed with the set up at East mains and the work being carried out, long may it continue.

GGTTH

Andy74
05-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't say it's a waste of time, Hibs couldn't start in the EOS Premier Division so had to start in the division below and seek promotion. They'll do this and have sterner opposition from next season when they can regularly play the better EOS teams.

Meantime, our U20's have the benefit of additional matches and game time against more physical opponents rather than just competing in their normal U20 league.

When you include the added interest these matches give to supporters, I think it's a good move all round.

Fair enough.

Zazu62
05-10-2013, 06:11 PM
What was the full team? Any senior players?

oconnors_strip
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
What was the full team? Any senior players?

no senior players

team was- Perntreau, dunsmore, baptie, paul, wilson, gardiner, todd, martin, doyle, mccaffrey, beaton

Dunderhall
05-10-2013, 07:14 PM

8-0 and unbeaten, if we're not paying the coach at least £400K it's a disgrace. :wink:
Can only be a good thing for the lads.

jdships
05-10-2013, 09:06 PM

No waste of time this !!
These are young lads who are being given the chance to play against a good sprinkling of ex 1st/2nd /3rd Div players who know their way about a football park.
My two lads tell me thy are facing much harder contacts and tackles than they would playing in an age group league and are having to learn to adjust. This can only be good experience at their age .
This score was maybe a one off : remember they only beat Duns 2-1 last week !!

:flag:

Golden Bear
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
No waste of time this !!
These are young lads who are being given the chance to play against a good sprinkling of ex 1st/2nd /3rd Div players who know their way about a football park.
My two lads tell me thy are facing much harder contacts and tackles than they would playing in an age group league and are having to learn to adjust. This can only be good experience at their age .

Yip - from what I've seen there is a mixture of good football players and a fair sprinkling of totally unfit hammer throwers. I concur that this league will act as a good development experience for our younger players.

lord bunberry
05-10-2013, 09:23 PM

I'm sure I read on here that they couldn't be promoted as east mains wasn't suitable for the lowland premier?

.Sean.
05-10-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm sure I read on here that they couldn't be promoted as east mains wasn't suitable for the lowland premier?

Why's that?

Hibernia Na Eir
05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
I think there could be yam influences in the E of S website as they continue to show the scoreline as 0 - 0. And not for the first time this season!

im sure I was recently told that certain leagues (of little importance) do not print results of scorelines higher than 6 or 7-0 (?) I could be wrong.

Iggy Pope
05-10-2013, 09:46 PM
No waste of time this !!
These are young lads who are being given the chance to play against a good sprinkling of ex 1st/2nd /3rd Div players who know their way about a football park. My two lads tell me thy are facing much harder contacts and tackles than they would playing in an age group league and are having to learn to adjust. This can only be good experience at their age .

Not today. Berwick Rangers field their reserves and they had an equally young side out - the corresponding game at Sheilfield last month was only 1-0

It's also worth noting that the U-20 squad is getting a lot of games under their belts, as (with the exception of the odd first-teamer making appearances) they are competing in two leagues. James McDonagh would appear to be rotating things very well indeed.

The young man McCaffrey was excellent by the way. Hat-trick aside, he was tireless, quick, skilful and looks a very strong boy. Him and his wee mucker Mulhall (on the bench today) lend me a bit of hope that the scouting is beginning to work (in the ROI at least :wink:)

calumhibee1
06-10-2013, 12:04 AM

It's not up to the Lowland Premier they'd be promoted, it's the East of Scotland Premier.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Must ruin it a bit for the other teams Who now have next to no chance of winning the league

KeithTheHibby
06-10-2013, 10:18 AM
First team out, east of Scotland team in.

lord bunberry
06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
It's not up to the Lowland Premier they'd be promoted, it's the East of Scotland Premier.

I see, I thought that the eos premier was now the lowland league. Do the winners of the eos premier get into the lowland league?

Jonnyboy
06-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Good all round performance in which three players in particular caught my eye.

Ryan Baptie wore 3 and played left back. Looks good defensively but he's also excellent at breaking forward. Strong, pacy and a real handful for opponents

David Paul wore 4 and played in central midfield. Very good range of passing and a very impressive engine

Gareth McCaffrey wore 10 and seemed to spend his time equally between midfield and attack. Very quick and hard to take the ball off him. Hat trick confirms he's an eye for goal.

One last thing. All the goals were well made and taken but the fourth stood out for me. Four passes from keeper to scorer and if the ball left the grass it was by inches and no more. Great to see

Twiglet
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Good all round performance in which three players in particular caught my eye.

Ryan Baptie wore 3 and played left back. Looks good defensively but he's also excellent at breaking forward. Strong, pacy and a real handful for opponents

David Paul wore 4 and played in central midfield. Very good range of passing and a very impressive engine

Gareth McCaffrey wore 10 and seemed to spend his time equally between midfield and attack. Very quick and hard to take the ball off him. Hat trick confirms he's an eye for goal.

One last thing. All the goals were well made and taken but the fourth stood out for me. Four passes from keeper to scorer and if the ball left the grass it was by inches and no more. Great to see

Who played right back?

Jonnyboy
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Who played right back?

Pretty sure it was Aaron Dunsmore

Keith_M
06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm sure I read on here that they couldn't be promoted as east mains wasn't suitable for the (EOS) premier?

No problem, we could just rent Newtongrange's ground. I heard they previously had the reserves of another club as tenants but they didn't pay their bills so were chucked out. The name of the club in question escapes me....

oconnors_strip
06-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure it was Aaron Dunsmore

Yeah it was

lord bunberry
06-10-2013, 01:53 PM
No problem, we could just rent Newtongrange's ground. I heard they previously had the reserves of another club as tenants but they didn't pay their bills so were chucked out. The name of the club in question escapes me....

I've no idea who you mean but I did get a strange feeling of pride reading that.

KingFranck
06-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Due to work I wasn't there yesterday but I do think it's good experience for the young lads to be playing in this league. I watched one of the first matches at Meadowbank 3g against Leith Athletic cracking game finished 1-1 would encourage everyone to go along and watch at least one of their games.

offshorehibby
06-10-2013, 04:36 PM
If the likes of Preston Athletic have the facilities to play in the Lowland league i can't see it taking much for east mains up to scratch for the Lowland standards.

calumhibee1
07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I see, I thought that the eos premier was now the lowland league. Do the winners of the eos premier get into the lowland league?

I don think they do, completely different sets of leagues as far as I know!

Back Lounge
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
If the likes of Preston Athletic have the facilities to play in the Lowland league i can't see it taking much for east mains up to scratch for the Lowland standards.

One requirement is cover for 80 / 100 people - so rules out EM.

offshorehibby
07-10-2013, 09:49 AM
One requirement is cover for 80 / 100 people - so rules out EM.

It rules us out at the moment, i can't see it taking much to get us to the required standard.

Back Lounge
07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
It rules us out at the moment, i can't see it taking much to get us to the required standard.

Other than the cover, also need the pitch to be fully enclosed and the dressing rooms to be a lot nearer the pitch. I believe that part of the deal for EM was that there was to be no further buildings constructed.

There are probably another hundred and one reasons, but I think the Lowland League would be a step too far.

RSS Bot
07-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Hibernian EOS 8 Berwick R reserves 0

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131007/hibernian-eos-beat-berwick-8-0_2262950_3484507)

big-mo
07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
The EoS Div 1 games gives the lads a taste of competitive games against players of varying levels, only the Berwick Rangers side in that league are a true reserve side, in fact Paul Grant, (BoBo) is their number one keeper and BoBo was our U20 keeper from last season and he is on loan at Berwick Rangers until January 2014. So far the squad of U20's have played 28 games this season, 21 of them competitive. They have also scored a total of 93 goals, 4 of these own goals and only one from a senior player (Paul Cairney's penalty against Falkirk last week). We have three players in double figures, Jason Cummings 13, Max Todd 12, Cody Mulhall 10, Garath McCaffrey is also close on 9 goals. Having players scoring goals can only be possessive. In fact every one of the out-field players in the squad have already been on the score sheet this season.

The EoS league should also be a platform for some of the senior team getting a run-out after injury or if they have not had a game in a long time but are in contention for getting a start, however this is not the case, in the EoS and U20's we have only seen McPake, Cairney, Mullen, Maybury and Murdoch playing. We also have played some of the younger first team players in the side, Stanton, Fraser and Caldwell.

There has been some criticism of the academy because of the lack of recognition at international level, I don't think this down to players or our set-up but more down to the clowns at the SFA. The recent Scotland youth squad had something like 30 players listed but there was no-one from Hibs but were five from Motherwell, but that same group of Hibs players that were not good enough for call-up had beaten that Motherwell team 10-0 previously. Not being picked for Scotland does not make them bad players, How many caps did Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Alex Edwards, Jim Black etc get?

While I am at it, there is talk going around about raising money to get a 100 seater stand erected at HTC. (It would be classified as temporary so should not be constrained by planning constraints).

southsider
07-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Pat, Joe and a lot of other future First team players were played in Junior Football as kids to toughen them up.