PDA

View Full Version : Monday night fixture - has the move from Saturday to Monday affected whether you go?

Carheenlea
05-10-2013, 12:57 PM
How has todays fixture change for TV affected your plans?

We had penciled this one in as an attractive Saturday away day out, short trip through to Glasgow, beers and a visit to Firhill for the game. We are still going to be going on Monday night, but I suspect that the numbers will be down quite considerably had the game been played today. I would have thought a travelling support in the numbers we see at Fir Park, maybe more, had it been this afternoon.

Be interesting to see how this has affected fellow fans desire to see this game.

Wheat Hound
05-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Aye I would definitely have gone but am working Monday night. Was looking forward to a day in ra weedge without having to put up with the pash of either OF.

Pretty Boy
05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Working until 6.30 Monday so can't go.

Would almost definitely have gone had it been today as this was one of the away days i was most looking forward to.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Wouldnae have gone today, but, nae Soccer Saturday distractions on Mon, so will now be going!

LancashireHibby
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Wouldn't have gone if it was today, but planning to go on Monday.

Makaveli
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Would have probably went today but Monday night is more difficult. I could make it but can't really justify shifting other things.

Andy74
05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Wouldnae have gone today, but, nae Soccer Saturday distractions on Mon, so will now be going!

Talk me through that one! Do you prefer Soccer Saturday than actually going to a game ?

SunshineOnLeith
05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Not a poll option but if the game had been Friday night I'd have gone as well. Not going on a Monday though.

lucky
05-10-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm in London on Monday, so I can't make it. I hate Saturdays without Hibs

Purehibee_MYB
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Me and a couple of the MYB were gonna go today have a bit of a day out in glasgow... but monday is just much more difficult so we're gonna go to a different away game

SwanseaHibs
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I am at a meeting in Newcastle on Tuesday afternoon so it works nicely for me as I can travel as normal on Monday, go to the game at night then get to Newcastle on Tuesday morning.

I am saving some brownie points to go to the cup derby so wouldn't have been going had the game been today.

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Would have gone today, would have gone if it had been the Fri night. Can't make Monday. Monday is a terrible day for going to football

monktonharp
05-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I go on Saturdays unless a big job comes up, I will be going on Monday though. not been to Firhill in years. looks even more attractive with the plight of them lot! hope we get a decent amount, to encourage our boys to get more distance between us and them. prices for under 16s are excellent btw, which makes taking the kids to a game very attractive. get your kids off the xbox, switch your tv off and get out there!

Sir David Gray
05-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally, it wouldn't have made any difference to me what day it had been played as I was due to finish at 3pm today and 9pm on Monday.

I still finish at 9pm on Monday but I finished at 1pm today so I could maybe have gone through to the game, although it would have been touch and go.

I definitely had no chance of going on Monday.

Hibercelona
05-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Would have gone today. But no chance of getting to the game on Monday, due to family commitments.

The free BT won't do our figures any favours either.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Would have went today, will probably go on Monday thanks to unexpectedly not being required to work, and mood being lifted by the news from Tynecastle this afternoon.

marinello59
05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
This was one of my definite away games if it had been played on a Saturday or Sunday. It is just too far too travel on a Monday night.

The Voice Of Reason
05-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Talk me through that one! Do you prefer Soccer Saturday than actually going to a game ?

Aye, a bit of a strange one to be fair !!!!!

jodjam
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Couldn't make today but will be there on Monday

Bristolhibby
05-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Had penciled in coming up this weekend, as I fancied the away game in the Weedge not playing the OF.

Obviously not coming up. Doesn't really matter though as my wife is away this weekend anyway and I'm left with the kids.

J

DaveF
05-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I was a certain attendee if it was today. Cannot do Monday evening.

KdyHby
05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Was planning on going through today, followed by a night out in Byers Road. Shall not be through Monday.

StarMan10
05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Wonder what the results would have been had the game been Friday night rather than Monday night? Personally think a Friday night fixture is much more appealing to away fans than Monday.

erskine-hibby
05-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Monday suits me to a t. That, and it's not far to travel for me.
Going.

cabbageandribs1875
05-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Would have gone today. But no chance of getting to the game on Monday, due to family commitments.

The free BT won't do our figures any favours either.

it's certainly got me having 2nd thoughts about going now :hmmm: what a horrible night to have a game of football, friday nights would be quite appealing(for me anyway)

saltandsauce
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I'll be there

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Aye.

If Pat and Jeff Stelling swapped jobs I'd probably go to more games.

blackpoolhibs
06-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Aye.

If Pat and Jeff Stelling swapped jobs I'd probably go to more games.

:faf: Nearly spat coffee over my screen. :wink:

Scott Allan Key
06-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Was really looking forward to game, used to live next to Firhill and know area well, was going to take kids along then have a meal in Glasgow, not possible now, they're too young to be up late and my work commitments clash. The weekend finishes on Sunday AFAIC and bar fixture congestion, poor weather, see no reason to have games other than Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Would prefer Saturday 3pm every game but hey-ho.:rolleyes:

monktonharp
06-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Was really looking forward to game, used to live next to Firhill and know area well, was going to take kids along then have a meal in Glasgow, not possible now, they're too young to be up late and my work commitments clash. The weekend finishes on Sunday AFAIC and bar fixture congestion, poor weather, see no reason to have games other than Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Would prefer Saturday 3pm every game but hey-ho.:rolleyes:I understand and totally agree with all you mention. my situation is a lot different from yours as my kids have all grown up, but I cant listen to someone who says: I was going, but it's on the telly so i'm not:confused:

wookie70
06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
The Monday is an issue for me as it is a rush after work and I would have to head back from Edinburgh to Newtongrange to get the kids. I then have to consider what time they get back with it being a school night. I would probably still have went as it is cheap for kids but the fact Thistle kids get in free and ours have to pay a fiver annoyed me a bit. I was however edging towards going until I heard it was going to be on Freeview and Sky. The Monday is an issue but it is the TV which was the deciding factor for me. Watching at home means the kids get to bed at a reasonable hour and I don't have to run about like crazy picking them up.

With the meagre amount of money realised by the TV deals these days I think back to Scotsport and Sportscene showing only highlights and all games on a Saturday may be a sensible option. If the players have to earn a wee bit less then so be it. The wage level is dictated by the TV deal in some ways so it would eventually self regulate. The ugly sisters wouldn't be happy but who cares about that.

jgl07
07-10-2013, 12:04 AM
I was in Manchester on Saturday and couldn't have gone.

I work in Glasgow, less than 30 minutes walk from Firhill, so I will certainly be going on Monday.

Scott Allan Key
07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
I understand and totally agree with all you mention. my situation is a lot different from yours as my kids have all grown up, but I cant listen to someone who says: I was going, but it's on the telly so i'm not:confused:

I'd like my kids to see Scotland and what better way than away days. Even East of Scotland league will give excuse to get around Borders. That Chinese at the Panda Inn on the Clyde will have to wait for a wee while.

Crossgates Hibs
07-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I understand and totally agree with all you mention. my situation is a lot different from yours as my kids have all grown up, but I cant listen to someone who says: I was going, but it's on the telly so i'm not:confused:

I finish at 7 Edinburgh west would love to go but just can't see me making it without missing 20 mins by time I park the car. I can go home crack open a beer put my feet up and watch the game and miss nothing. Telly for me I'm afraid unless somebody can tell me I can park outside the stadium no probs.

dangermouse
07-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I have been persuaded to go and will wear my lucky top which has enjoyed trips to Perth and Kilmarnock :greengrin

frazeHFC
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM
I was home for the weekend, if it was Saturday I would have really enjoyed the trip through, train, pub for a bit etc. But now i'm back up in Dundee and in class until after 5 so no chance i'd make it especially as I don't have a car up here. TV in the union for me!

yeezus.
07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Can't get back to Stranraer at that time on a Monday night unfortunately :rolleyes:

Golden Bear
07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Does anyone remember this game? I've copied the quote from a poster on the Jags forum.

"On a more sobering note, Mon-05-May-1980 sticks out like a sore thumb - Hibs 0 Partick Thistle 1 in the Premier League. Only 1,191 paid in to a ghostly Easter Road - and it was reported that "a good number of them were from Glasgow".

monktonharp
07-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Does anyone remember this game? I've copied the quote from a poster on the Jags forum.

"On a more sobering note, Mon-05-May-1980 sticks out like a sore thumb - Hibs 0 Partick Thistle 1 in the Premier League. Only 1,191 paid in to a ghostly Easter Road - and it was reported that "a good number of them were from Glasgow". I doubt very much that those figures are correct. was it not reported very recently with the lowest ever spl attendance? possibly St.Johnstone or Ross co. where's jonnyboy?

jgl07
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM

"On a more sobering note, Mon-05-May-1980 sticks out like a sore thumb - Hibs 0 Partick Thistle 1 in the Premier League. Only 1,191 paid in to a ghostly Easter Road - and it was reported that "a good number of them were from Glasgow".

Aye the good old days when standing was permitted, there were no live TV matches and most were held on a Saturday at 3:00PM or Tuesday/Wednesday at 7:30PM.

The match quoted was presumably played as part of a Saturday-Monday-Wednesday schedule to get fixtures completed before the end of the season.

Golden Bear
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I doubt very much that those figures are correct. was it not reported very recently with the lowest ever spl attendance? possibly St.Johnstone or Ross co. where's jonnyboy?

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=48150

It's difficult to believe but it looks like it's true.

monktonharp
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
on a more upbeat note, so to speak. I think there may be 800-1000 hobbies there tonight.

Jonnyboy
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Sad but true. Not sure who the other 1,090 were mind you :greengrin

I doubt very much that those figures are correct. was it not reported very recently with the lowest ever spl attendance? possibly St.Johnstone or Ross co. where's jonnyboy?

Was pre SPL and just PL in those days :wink:

monktonharp
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=48150

It's difficult to believe but it looks like it's true.

so the starting line up, whatever that means, has made the exact number.....as the attendance? that's a coincidence eh?

silverhibee
07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Is it junction 18 you come of on the M8 for Maryhill.

Golden Bear
07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
so the starting line up, whatever that means, has made the exact number.....as the attendance? that's a coincidence eh?

It just goes to show that they Hibs statistical gadgies cannae be trusted

:greengrin

jgl07
07-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Is it junction 18 you come of on the M8 for Maryhill.

I would take Junction 16 follow the A804 (parallel with the M8) and then turn right under the A8 to the A81 (Garscube Road). That will take you right to the ground.

My_Wife_Camille
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
The move as affected me... I work Saturday nights so wouldn't have made it but now I can! Happy days, mon the silly kick off times!

mutley
07-10-2013, 03:30 PM
work away and only home at weekends, so it'll be telly for me tonight, better than nothing.GGTTH

IberianHibernian
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM

"On a more sobering note, Mon-05-May-1980 sticks out like a sore thumb - Hibs 0 Partick Thistle 1 in the Premier League. Only 1,191 paid in to a ghostly Easter Road - and it was reported that "a good number of them were from Glasgow". I remember the match . We were already mathematically relegated and had played at home ( Aberdeen clinching league with 5 v 0 win ) just 2 days before . Tiny crowd and only cheer of night was halftime announcement that hostages in Iranian Embassy had been freed .

clerriehibs
07-10-2013, 03:56 PM
I remember the match . We were already mathematically relegated and had played at home ( Aberdeen clinching league with 5 v 0 win ) just 2 days before . Tiny crowd and only cheer of night was halftime announcement that hostages in Iranian Embassy had been freed .

I was at the 0-5, would have been at the thistle game, but cannot for the life of me remember it.

Maybe I just stayed at home to watch the SAS on the telly.

silverhibee
07-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I would take Junction 16 follow the A804 (parallel with the M8) and then turn right under the A8 to the A81 (Garscube Road). That will take you right to the ground.

:aok:

Piqué
07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Happened to be down in Glasgow for the weekend so I had to go and see Celtic instead:jamboak:. Back in Orkney now so it'll be the TV for me tonight.