PDA

View Full Version : NHC Is it acceptable for players to smoke?

TRC
04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24400297

We all know of great players who have enjoyed a sly cig but in today's culture is it acceptable for a pro sports man/woman to be smoking?

Torto7062
04-10-2013, 05:06 PM

We all know of great players who have enjoyed a sly cig but in today's culture is it acceptable for a pro sports man/woman to be smoking?

who cares as long as they perform 100%
All the time

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm not bothered, but if he goes into the toilets at half time for a sneaky one i swear i will do time. :grr:

Bostonhibby
04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Is it just wenger mumping because he is more of a pipe man himself?

Always looks like he has got a pipe up his a***

Mr White
04-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Wee Russell smoked like a beagle and played into his 40's but I'd say he was an exception.

Bostonhibby
04-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Wee Russell smoked like a beagle and played into his 40's but I'd say he was an exception.

Agree, and never did big Nishy any harm, he could leap like a salmon with a giant cuban cigar in one hand and a cigar cutter in the other.

Tinned salmon it was mind but the smoking apparently made no difference to his game.

Jack
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Brian Clough said that if one of his players smoked and wanted one at half time he'd have it lit up ready for him coming off.

Not sure if he was referring to anyone in particular.

ancient hibee
04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Billy Bremner was a heavy smoker-didn't seem to do him any harm when he played but didn't do him a lot of good in later life.

Bostonhibby
04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Brian Clough said that if one of his players smoked and wanted one at half time he'd have it lit up ready for him coming off.

Not sure if he was referring to anyone in particular.

John Robertson, wonderful player.

silverhibee
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Wonder if Frazer Mullen likes a fag. :cb

carnoustiehibee
04-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Funny smoking seems to be acceptable but taking drugs and to some extent drinking is the work of the devil.

Biggie
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM
Wonder if Frazer Mullen likes a fag. :cb

:top marks

MWHIBBIES
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Personally, no, I dont think so, they are athletes and shouldn't do anything that could potentially harm their athletic ability until they are retired.

hibsbollah
04-10-2013, 06:20 PM
I would prefer they did. It makes you look cool and relaxes you. But if they decide not to, I wouldnt necessarily object.:cb

Viva_Palmeiras
04-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Not for the ones that bleat about it being a short career...

Mr White
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I would prefer they did. It makes you look cool and relaxes you. But if they decide not to, I wouldnt necessarily object.:cb

That's a good point. Given that smoking is also known to prevent unwanted pregnancy, maybe sparky should start on the tabs :cb

hibsbollah
04-10-2013, 06:31 PM
That's a good point. Given that smoking is also known to prevent unwanted pregnancy, maybe sparky should start on the tabs :cb

Good point. Zidane, Platini, Cruyff, Socrates and Latapy all liked a smoke, but to my knowledge none of them ever gave birth to an unwanted baby :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Good point. Zidane, Platini, Cruyff, Socrates and Latapy all liked a smoke, but to my knowledge none of them ever gave birth to an unwanted baby :agree:

All of the above were fantastic players with amazing ability and were at the top of their game in spite of the fags.

Zidane .. doing OK but still young.

Platini .. health seems OK but also still relatively young.

Cruyff .. had a heart attack and gave the fags up

Socratese ... dead .. mind you who knows what else he was taking .. the father Jack of world football.

Latapy ... without the fags who's to say he wouldnt have played for Man Utd or Real Madrid.

Its a free country ( well in theory ) but pro athletes would be better to bin the fags. Its all about pace and fitness these days unless you are a footballing genius and dont need to run about.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Hibs players don't smoke but that is largely down to the fact that they keep losing their matches.....

ScottB
04-10-2013, 10:03 PM
No way, they probably shouldn't be drinking either really, or eating junk.

They are paid large amounts of money to do their best for the club; smoking, drinking, eating junk food etc all has an adverse effect on their ability to do their best. Frankly it suggests that the player in question isn't taking things as seriously as they should be.

Far be it for the club to have to ban such things, any player who wants to smoke and drink to excess should be out the door anyway.

monktonharp
04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Funny smoking seems to be acceptable but taking drugs and to some extent drinking is the work of the devil.that depends who your God is. Dave Allen oftimes spoke about it:wink:

monktonharp
04-10-2013, 10:17 PM

They are paid large amounts of money to do their best for the club; smoking, drinking, eating junk food etc all has an adverse effect on their ability to do their best. Frankly it suggests that the player in question isn't taking things as seriously as they should be.

Far be it for the club to have to ban such things, any player who wants to smoke and drink to excess should be out the door anyway. I hardly think that the young lads are downing 8 pints a night, at the darts Monday, the doms Tuesday and out on the swally thus/frid with the occasional bender at the weekend. we've had some that just could not behave themselves fully but cant expect them all to be chewin' a stick o' celery all week can we?

steakbake
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
A serious professional athlete wouldn't smoke, drink or eat crap.

Andy74
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM

Two strikers. One cup.

Sir David Gray
04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Anyone who is dedicated to being the best in their chosen sport would not smoke.

Dalianwanda
04-10-2013, 10:42 PM

This.....folk say as long as they give 100% they are happy...well there's 100% with a healthy set of lungs and 100% with a ****ed pair...,these players of old are no comparison as the dangers weren't as known..now image rights are important (especially in the larger leagues), setting the right example to youngsters should be part of this..in days of old they could get away with it, now with social media etc they can't...

ScottB
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I hardly think that the young lads are downing 8 pints a night, at the darts Monday, the doms Tuesday and out on the swally thus/frid with the occasional bender at the weekend. we've had some that just could not behave themselves fully but cant expect them all to be chewin' a stick o' celery all week can we?

I would. Some of them are getting a grand or two a week. The club forks out that money for them to perform at their best, and lifestyle has a big factor.

The odd drink is fine, but regular heavy nights out and the like, no chance. We should have players who want to go as far as possible in the game. Besides, if someone wanted to pay me a few grand week to essentially kick a ball about and stay fit I'd be more than happy to go teetotal.

jeffers
04-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Two strikers. One cup.

Aaw naaw, please don't. I saw that recently for the first time. I don't think I'll ever eat a Mr Whippy again.

steakbake
05-10-2013, 02:34 AM
I remember reading once about Andy Murray. The guy is so dedicated to his sport that he will literally do anything to improve even if it's by 1%.

Famously, pizza is his weakness and he very occasionally used to have a bit of a blow out only every now and then: a few times a year sort of thing. When he took on his new coaching team, Lendl's nutritionist told him that if he ditched the occasional pizza he'd Probably notice a slight improvement in the long term. So he did.

So if the player is serious, then they conduct everything towards their fitness.

Steve-O
05-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Agree, and never did big Nishy any harm, he could leap like a salmon with a giant cuban cigar in one hand and a cigar cutter in the other.

Tinned salmon it was mind but the smoking apparently made no difference to his game.

How do you know it never made a difference?

Steve-O
05-10-2013, 03:58 AM
I hardly think that the young lads are downing 8 pints a night, at the darts Monday, the doms Tuesday and out on the swally thus/frid with the occasional bender at the weekend. we've had some that just could not behave themselves fully but cant expect them all to be chewin' a stick o' celery all week can we?

Is it acceptable for them, during the season, to be out on the randan every weekend after a game though?

In days gone by many of them also used to have a Wednesday out as well. 2 nights bevvying a week for me is enough and I'm not paid to be as fit as I can be.

Hank Schrader
05-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Robert Prosinecki was another who liked a cigarette or two. Classy footballer he was too.

Weststandwanab
05-10-2013, 05:27 AM

Tinned salmon it was mind but the smoking apparently made no difference to his game.Nish never had a game

Billy Bremner was a heavy smoker-didn't seem to do him any harm when he played but didn't do him a lot of good in later life. BB would not get in any EPL first team these days

lapsedhibee
05-10-2013, 07:40 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-star-jack-wilshere-told-not-to-let-career-go-up-in-smoke-after-midfielder-pictured-with-cigarette-outside-london-nightclub-8860027.html

Wilshere’s agent insisted yesterday that the images which appeared in The Sun yesterday were a part of a “prank” and that the midfielder does not smoke.

“Jack was with team-mates and friends. One dared Jack, who does not smoke, to momentarily hold the cigarette as part of a prank. Jack absolutely didn’t smoke the cigarette, and nor does he condone smoking. Jack is utterly committed to fitness and a healthy lifestyle,” he said. :fibber:

Bostonhibby
05-10-2013, 08:46 AM
How do you know it never made a difference?

I liked Nish but for many he couldn't do anything right, hence my tongue in cheek suggestion that whether he smoked or not it apparently made no difference as he was useless.

I don't know if it would have made a differnce if he leapt like a real slamon rather than a tin of salmon though as he did have a habit of not leaping that well and falling down a lot:wink:

Bostonhibby
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-star-jack-wilshere-told-not-to-let-career-go-up-in-smoke-after-midfielder-pictured-with-cigarette-outside-london-nightclub-8860027.html

Wilshere’s agent insisted yesterday that the images which appeared in The Sun yesterday were a part of a “prank” and that the midfielder does not smoke.

“Jack was with team-mates and friends. One dared Jack, who does not smoke, to momentarily hold the cigarette as part of a prank. Jack absolutely didn’t smoke the cigarette, and nor does he condone smoking. Jack is utterly committed to fitness and a healthy lifestyle,” he said. :fibber:

Ah, the old "big boys made him do it then ran away" defence. Doesn't seem to be working over in yamland and might not be the best defence here either:greengrin

Jack
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM

Far be it for the club to have to ban such things, any player who wants to smoke and drink to excess should be out the door anyway.

Undoubtedly the young guys as they come through our system will have the facts laid out for them and strongly discouraged from smoking.

If we go out and acquire a player should he be judged on his ability or his tab free lifestyle?

bandylegs_jLeighton
05-10-2013, 09:05 AM
If your striving to be the best you can possibly be at football, I don't think you should smoke or regularly drink. The best for your body/fitness culture doesn't seem to exist in football though.

As pointed out previously, Andy Murray goes the extra mile - that's why he is world class at his sport. There's no way he would be at that level if he got takeaways, beers and smoked fags.

http://food.uk.msn.com/food/andy-murray-wimbledon-winning-diet-revealed

HFCLEGENDS
05-10-2013, 10:14 AM

No

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 2

Jones28
05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Is it really that big a deal? Some of the reaction on SSN has been ridiculous

Pedantic_Hibee
05-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I used to have a fag at half-time when I played. Funnily enough I acquired the moniker "Prosinecki" for my actions.

hibsbollah
05-10-2013, 11:06 AM
I remember reading he very occasionally used to have a bit of blow every now and then: a few times a year.

:shocked:
Murray in drug shock

NAE NOOKIE
05-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Hibs players don't smoke but that is largely down to the fact that they keep losing their matches.....

:faf:

hail1875hail
05-10-2013, 12:00 PM

brilliant haha;)

KdyHby
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Was strange seeing the Duns manager smoking a cig during the EOS match last Sat.

silverhibee
05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Was there a drink/smoking culture at Hibs in 1875.

steakbake
05-10-2013, 12:34 PM
:shocked:
Murray in drug shock

Ha - the Hibs way...

SonOfDavidFrancey
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Ha - the Hibs way...

Gerson, the little baldy in the brazil side of 1970, always liked to smoke two fags at half time but there wasn't time so the trainer used to have one
lit for him in the tunnel when he came off.

ekhibee
05-10-2013, 01:16 PM
I think that the culture is different nowadays as regards smoking, and for that reason I would say footballers shouldn't be smoking. I smoke myself, and fully understand the different points of view about it, but I've smoked for over 37 years. When I first started smoking, and for many years after it, it was still socially acceptable to smoke, but not nowadays.

basehibby
05-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Footballers that smoke are plainly being very foolish indeed as they are chipping away at their own fitness and hence their effectiveness on the pitch.

Fact is though that football is full of flawed and colourful characters and football talent does not in any way guarantee any degree of self discipline.

So - if you were asking me "is it acceptable for 20 a day Russel Latapy to play for Hibs" I'd say "YES - you bet your bottom dollar it is!" If you were asking me if it was ADVISABLE for Russel or any other footballer to smoke then an equally emphatic NO would be the no-brainer response.

Bishop Hibee
05-10-2013, 03:41 PM
No, unless it's large cigars after a Hibs cup final win.

Keith_M
06-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I was expelled from High School just because the guy that sat next to me in class was smoking.

To be fair, though, it was me that set him on fire.

I'll get my coat. :greengrin

Islington Hibs
06-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Smoking is a matter of personal choice but to my mind it says a lot about a sportsman if he does smoke or drink heavily- it says he is not that committed to excellence. It seems to me elite athletes take care of themselves (fellow Hibby Andy Murray is perhaps the best example) so poor show if any Hibs players smoke in my view and if I was Fenlon I would stamp it out. It's about culture.

hibby rae
06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I remember reading once about Andy Murray. The guy is so dedicated to his sport that he will literally do anything to improve even if it's by 1%.

Famously, pizza is his weakness and he very occasionally used to have a bit of a blow out only every now and then: a few times a year sort of thing. When he took on his new coaching team, Lendl's nutritionist told him that if he ditched the occasional pizza he'd Probably notice a slight improvement in the long term. So he did.

So if the player is serious, then they conduct everything towards their fitness.

Another good example would be John Collins. From the beginning he conducted himself properly and when he eventually retired he was still playing at the highest level. I wouldn't be surprised if he was still able to play in the SPFL.

CRAZYHIBBY
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
As mentioned latapy was a chain smoker but utterly fantastic. .... if only he never signed that pre contact with the huns before his drink driving carry on

Hibercelona
06-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Footballers generally have a short career. For the millions that professional footballers get paid in that time, I don't see why they shouldn't lay off the fags and the booze.

They can always enjoy that stuff in their mid 30s after they've had a healthy successful career.

Hibercelona
06-10-2013, 10:35 AM
As mentioned latapy was a chain smoker but utterly fantastic. .... if only he never signed that pre contact with the huns before his drink driving carry on

It begs the question of where Latapy would have been, had he not been a chain smoker. It certainly wouldn't have been in Scottish football.