PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvenating the League Cup

IanM
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
What can Scottish Football do about making the nations league cup more appealing? (this goes for English football as well)

The lure of European football back in the 90's was appealing however with dwindling crowd numbers, 'reserve' players included in early rounds and competing against the Scottish Cup/European ties/league games it does take 2nd, or even 4th precedence which has killed the spirit of the league cup in my opinion.

Unless it's a semi final/final or a tie against the neebors it doesn't really kick start until the visit to Hampden..

would any of these help get the fizz back into the league cup..

a- European place for winners- the winners would automatically be entered into Europe - just as before
b- £million(s) prize fund sponsored by the SFA, TV deal and sponsors to make winning the cup more lucrative
c- the winners of the Scottish, English, Irish and a choice few other countries playing in a pre season play off cup against each other with a different country hosting the event each year - generating income from sponsors/tv deals and a prize fund for overall finishing place
d- cheaper tickets agreed by all clubs to ensure a sell out each round (including kids tickets, tickets to schools, cup top up etc)
e- Sky/BBC/BT to revamp the coverage of all cup games to generate a bigger interest in the rounds
f - none of the above.. get back to work

lord bunberry
04-10-2013, 12:52 PM
What can Scottish Football do about making the nations league cup more appealing? (this goes for English football as well)

The lure of European football back in the 90's was appealing however with dwindling crowd numbers, 'reserve' players included in early rounds and competing against the Scottish Cup/European ties/league games it does take 2nd, or even 4th precedence which has killed the spirit of the league cup in my opinion.

Unless it's a semi final/final or a tie against the neebors it doesn't really kick start until the visit to Hampden..

a- European place for winners- the winners would automatically be entered into Europe - just as before
b- £million(s) prize fund sponsored by the SFA, TV deal and sponsors to make winning the cup more lucrative
c- the winners of the Scottish, English, Irish and a choice few other countries playing in a pre season play off cup against each other with a different country hosting the event each year - generating income from sponsors/tv deals and a prize fund for overall finishing place
d- cheaper tickets agreed by all clubs to ensure a sell out each round (including kids tickets, tickets to schools, cup top up etc)
e- Sky/BBC/BT to revamp the coverage of all cup games to generate a bigger interest in the rounds

I like the idea of playing against the winners of other league cup winners.

LancashireHibby
04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
No problem with popularity in the latter stages, and the same problems probably apply to the Scottish/FA Cup as well. Our cup competitions are certainly far more popular than the ones on the continent AFAIK.

Hibby Bairn
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I like the idea of playing against the winners of other league cup winners.

Anglo-Scottish Cup Winners Cup :aok: (Sponsored by Texaco :greengrin)

HappyHibby93
04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Always thought that the chance of European football for the winners would add a little more of an incentive to win the trophy. However, I also feel that clubs shouldn't need that push, think of the memories from beating Killie, and Dunfermline and Celtic for that matter.

HappyHibby93
04-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Also thought having a Community Shield type game would be good. Gets everyone excited for the start of the season, and could provide a much need cash boost for clubs. To make it a wee bit different you could use the winners of the League Cup and Scottish Cup. If the same team win both trophy's, use the runner-up from the Scottish Cup.

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
The league cup still has the same appeal to me as it it did years ago both here an in England. You start the domestic season with the target of winning the only three trophies available to you. If you manage to win any one of the three you have acheived something that season.

Hibernia Na Eir
04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Anglo-Scottish Cup Winners Cup :aok: (Sponsored by Texaco :greengrin)

bring back the old 80s group stages!

in fact, bring back Clydebank !

Andy74
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
The best way to rejuvinate it for me would be for Hibs to win it. No reason why we shoudn't this year.

clerriehibs
04-10-2013, 03:12 PM

I like it just as much as the scottish, and I think it's harder to win because of seeding. It does deserve euro place reward, but apparently the fact it doesn't is down to UEFA. Not sure why the english version gets a euro spot in that case.

LancashireHibby
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
apparently the fact it doesn't is down to UEFA. Not sure why the english version gets a euro spot in that case.
If memory serves me right, Scotland was losing a European place because of the poor coefficient (may have been when it dropped to one Champions League spot) so the SFA chose to lose the European spot from the League Cup rather than have one less qualifier from league placings.

frazeHFC
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I like the idea of playing winners from other countries, even if it was just the winners of the cup from the 4 UK countries.

The memories of 2007 are still the best I've had as a Hibee and I want more! Means a lot to me.

Noticed the bigger teams in England fielded stronger sides this year, obviously taking it more seriously.

Miguel
04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
The League Cup should be a quick fire knock out tournament with the final at the end of October and should, as a major honour, carry a Euro slot.
Don't think a Scottish Charity Shield would work - it would be the same teams most times and think a League Cup Winners Cup would be out because of scheduling problems.

Danielyma6
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
It definitely needs it's euro spot back and it would also help if people stopped referring to it as "the diddly cup".

Billy Whizz
04-10-2013, 07:30 PM
It definitely needs it's euro spot back and it would also help if people stopped referring to it as "the diddly cup".

I think it's a team who haven't won it for 50 years who refer to it as the Diddy Cup

LancashireHibby
04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Noticed the bigger teams in England fielded stronger sides this year, obviously taking it more seriously.
Think that's as much to do with there being so many teams with a wad of cash meaning it's becoming ever harder to qualify for Europe through the league.

Jonnyboy
04-10-2013, 08:02 PM

I think it's a team who haven't won it for 50 years who refer to it as the Diddy Cup

So the winners of the diddly cup could play the winners of the diddy cup

Sorted :wink:

eastterrace
04-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Also thought having a Community Shield type game would be good. Gets everyone excited for the start of the season, and could provide a much need cash boost for clubs. To make it a wee bit different you could use the winners of the League Cup and Scottish Cup. If the same team win both trophy's, use the runner-up from the Scottish Cup.

sowe win the league cup and say killie win the scottish cup and we have a winner takes all in july , were would you play it maybe fir park or even hampden, would you rush out to buy a ticket

oramhibee
05-10-2013, 08:16 AM
sowe win the league cup and say killie win the scottish cup and we have a winner takes all in july , were would you play it maybe fir park or even hampden, would you rush out to buy a ticket

Why would it be Fir Park? It's obviously got to be Hampden.

oramhibee
05-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Anyone know where this years League and Scottish Cup semis/ finals will be since Hampden is being used for the Commonwealth Games?

Billy Whizz
05-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Anyone know where this years League and Scottish Cup semis/ finals will be since Hampden is being used for the Commonwealth Games?

Semi's will be neutral venues, depending on who will be in. No final
Venue yet either.
Noticed the semis are now a weekend game, 1st/2nd Feb

Spike Mandela
05-10-2013, 08:43 AM
It can buy a manager a further six months without his team winning.:cb

eastterrace
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Why would it be Fir Park? It's obviously got to be Hampden.
cause fir park would be able to hold the total crowd that would be there. so what im saying nobody would be interested other than the total die hards who would go to the pre season friendlies anyway.

Phil D. Rolls
05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Simply have one draw. The first two teams out contest the final. Use of a hair dryer on the balls will ensure the match is the one the majority of supporters want to see.

That's pretty much how it worked in the old days IIRC.

steakbake
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Semi's will be neutral venues, depending on who will be in. No final
Venue yet either.
Noticed the semis are now a weekend game, 1st/2nd Feb

Wonder if Ibrox is being lined up for it?

Leithenhibby
07-10-2013, 01:23 PM

You could just play at a neutral venue, i think fans would go, everyone has that buzz to go to the football after a summer of no football. If it was something like hibs vs Killie, somewhere like tynie or fir park would probably be best.

jgl07
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
The League Cup should be a quick fire knock out tournament with the final at the end of October and should, as a major honour, carry a Euro slot.

It can't really be done unless it was played starting pre-season on Saturdays. There are very few midweek slots available without UEFA matches or Internationals being staged. To get five rounds matches plus a final played by then.

I did prefer the old format but the bloated UEFA Competitions ensure that will not happen.