PDA

View Full Version : What after the 'Golden Generation'

TheFamous1875
03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Since the subject of JC and the GG and the Longniddrygate is all the rave on the boards just now, I thought it'd be fun to start a thread looking at each player, their role in the team, how much money was made from them, where they went and who would've been an adequate replacement at the time for their talent/style of play. Just a bit of fun since we're all still so hung up about how we disintegrated when we should have ascended, so here goes!

Steven Whittaker - RB, £2 Million (Rangers) 2007

David (nee 'Danny') Murphy - LB, £1.5 Million (Birmingham City) 2008 (wasn't homegrown but a big part of that youthful team)

Rob Jones - CB, Undisclosed (S****horpe United record-fee) 2009

Kevin Thomson - CM, £2 Million (Rangers) 2007

Scott Brown - CM/RW, £4.4 Million (Celtic) 2007

Derek Riordan - CF/LW, £170,000 (Celtic) 2006

Gary O'Connor - ST, £1.6 Million (Lokomotiv Moskow) 2006

Ian Murray - DF/MF, free transfer (Rangers) 2005

Gary Caldwell - CB, free transfer (Celtic) 2006

Steven Fletcher - ST, £3.5 Million (Burnley) 2009

Ivan Sproule - RW, £500,000 (Bristol City) 2007

Dean Shiels - Attacking Midfielder, £50,000 (Doncaster Rovers) 2009

fat freddy
03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
You could throw Stephen Dobbie in with that lot....He never fulfilled his potential at Hibs but he's gone on to make a good career for himself...arguably done better than a lot of the more illustrious names on the list.

who would replace those players?....you couldn't...we were blessed with a special group of players and it was inevitable that they would all leave to further their careers and who would deny them that opportunity?...we got a new stand, a training centre, a healthy bank balance and a lifetime of brilliant memories out of them and five have returned to Easter Rd after securing their futures. I think that number may rise as some of them wind down their careers...Broony back in midfield in 5 years anyone?

Jonnyboy
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Since the subject of JC and the GG and the Longniddrygate is all the rave on the boards just now, I thought it'd be fun to start a thread looking at each player, their role in the team, how much money was made from them, where they went and who would've been an adequate replacement at the time for their talent/style of play. Just a bit of fun since we're all still so hung up about how we disintegrated when we should have ascended, so here goes!

Danny Murphy - LB, £1.5 Million (Birmingham City) 2008 (wasn't homegrown but a big part of that youthful team)

You've missed out a goalie and Danny Murphy never played for Hibs :wink:

Glory Lurker
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
I still can't believe that we didn't get David Murphy in to replace Danny Murphy. Petrie! :grr:

:greengrin

3pm
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I wouldnae want Scott Brown back next week never mind in 5 years.

Diclonius
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I doubt Scott Brown will ever return to Hibs.

TheFamous1875
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Hahaha!! Who the ****'s DANNY Murphy?? Must be a lot more tired than I thought!! Priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jdawg
03-10-2013, 10:26 PM
I wouldnae want Scott Brown back next week never mind in 5 years. The same Scott Brown that ran the show in the cup final aye?

Jdawg
03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

David (nee 'Danny') Murphy - LB, £1.5 Million (Birmingham City) 2008 (wasn't homegrown but a big part of that youthful team)

Some fabulous players there, how we would love to see players of that quality just now.

Bronson
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I wouldnae want Scott Brown back next week never mind in 5 years.

Aye I can understand why you wouldn't fancy having the best player in the country in your team

Glory Lurker
03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Broonie! Gah! I am almost reconsidering my Jackson shout on the "One Match Only" thread. No, I'll stick with Jackson, but Broonie here is just amazing (taking nothing away from the boy who converted all the good work!):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ

Centre Hawf
03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
I really wouldn't mind having Dean Shiels back at Hibs, and i've always been told that Scott Brown intends on finishing his career at Hibs but we've all heard many things haven't we.

That generation of players was absolutely brilliant for the club as a whole like folk say, we got money for them as well as some brilliant performances and some of the best football we've seen in a while and not to mention a trophy, for me that generation was a perfect example of how a football club should be ran.

Number69
03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Those players were in the best Hibs team/s of my generation. Sad to think back to how good we used to be.

ScottB
04-10-2013, 08:41 AM
The aim is to be producing that sort of talent on a regular basis, other clubs manage it, but we've produced nothing on that level since. Sure Hanlon, Wotherspoon etc are solid enough at SPL level, but we need to be producing players that are better than that again...

TheFamous1875
04-10-2013, 09:55 AM
It's ****ing minging the amount of money we made, and how much of it had to go to debts/stadiums.. I hope they didn't think that the training centre would be enough to keep the talent coming through. I'm sure it's a good thing to have, but I think the clubs main focus should be scouting and developing the best talent in Scotland, easily transitioning them into the first team for a number of years and selling them to England for a large profit - something Petrie has previous for being very good at.

From there, you keep improving the youth development and it gets better and better, kids will WANT to come to us from all over the UK (and possibly beyond one day) and the money we make from selling players to big clubs can go into maintaining a high standard of the first team, increasing the wage bill, and maintaining and improving the youth academys standards over the years.

Sounds a doddle, eh?

TheFamous1875
04-10-2013, 09:56 AM
The aim is to be producing that sort of talent on a regular basis, other clubs manage it, but we've produced nothing on that level since. Sure Hanlon, Wotherspoon etc are solid enough at SPL level, but we need to be producing players that are better than that again...

I think if those two players were integrated into a solid and positive team when they broke through, they would've improved a lot more than they did. Same with Stevenson.

Leishy1995
04-10-2013, 10:02 AM
On the talk off youth players, Ryan Guald from United looks incredible, I seen in the sun *i know* that Real Madrid are watching him.

TheFamous1875
04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Would anyone be able to compare Harris' first impressions to that of the Golden Generation's? Because for me he looks like he could be superstar! I'm just wondering what the first few months of their careers were like for Brown, Riordan, O'Connor, Whittaker, etc

dangermouse
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
When Callum Booth first broke into the team I thought we had some one who would become as good as David Murphy. Sadly for him, and Hibs, it all went horribly wrong. Doubt his contract will be renewed if PF is still in charge although he could always recall him and try him out as a right back :wink:

hibees 7062
04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Aye I can understand why you wouldn't fancy having the best player in the country in your team

:agree::agree:

TheFamous1875
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
When Callum Booth first broke into the team I thought we had some one who would become as good as David Murphy. Sadly for him, and Hibs, it all went horribly wrong. Doubt his contract will be renewed if PF is still in charge although he could always recall him and try him out as a right back :wink:

It's very sad that these players show great potential and the club neglect to sustain and develop their talent further. We could potentially have lost up in millions because of this! If Fenlon is leaving at the end of the season (is he?) then maybe Booth'll be given a new chance by a new manager.

sambajustice
04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Biggest loss from the golden generation is possibly john park.

Is it any coincidence that celtic are getting in young, random, relatively unknown players and making a huge profit on them?

silverhibee
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM

Is it any coincidence that celtic are getting in young, random, relatively unknown players and making a huge profit on them?

Donald Park was a massive loss to the club as well.

Unseen work
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM

Was away to post this myself. He seemed a massive part of the youth players performing well in the first team and scouting players, Thomson came from Coventry if I'm not mistaken? And Andy McNeil from Southampton? Dobbie from rangers, shiels from arsenal? So aswell as getting our own youth through he was good at spotting players in England etc. Celtic have now done the same with boys such as Matthews etc

TheFamous1875
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Bill Hendry was his right hand man, if I'm not mistaken? Surely he has the same contacts and is able to utilise them as fruitfully as John Park does...

rcarter1
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Just realised we made about 16 million pounds in transfer fees, over about 3 years. Since then.....

The Sea-gull
04-10-2013, 12:50 PM
The same Scott Brown that ran the show in the cup final aye?

Are you referring to the 2013 cup final when Hibs didn't turn up and our midfield just stood around admiring him and watched him run the show. Easy for a good player to "run the show" if he isn't challenged.

He is a good player though and of course we would take him back.

In response to the person saying they wouldn't have him back now - yeah right, he'd toil to oust Taiwo from our midfield right enough.

patlowe
04-10-2013, 01:37 PM
I still feel like that team never really reached its potential over that couple of years - especially when you add players like Stewart, Boozy, Benji and Zemmama to the equation. The team was a joy to watch but frustratingly inconsistent. We also got our bums handed to us on a regular basis by the yams, particularly at Tynie, but I suppose there were extenuating circumstances there...

Actually, thinking back to 2005/6, can anyone remember Hibs and Hearts being as strong in the same season before? It strikes me that it's normally a bit of a see-saw in terms of our respective success but that season we both had undoubtedly good sides.

Persevere80
04-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Steven Whittaker - RB, £2 Million (Rangers) 2007 Great to watch him run foward.

David (nee 'Danny') Murphy - LB, £1.5 Million (Birmingham City) 2008 (wasn't homegrown but a big part of that youthful team) The most consistent LB i have seen at ER.

Rob Jones - CB, Undisclosed (S****horpe United record-fee) 2009 Will always be remebered for that first goal in the snow. A rock at the back.

Kevin Thomson - CM, £2 Million (Rangers) 2007 level headed, i can see why he was captin in this team.

Scott Brown - CM/RW, £4.4 Million (Celtic) 2007 Not afraid to take on his man.

Derek Riordan - CF/LW, £170,000 (Celtic) 2006 Quality goals, Hibs legend in my eyes.

Gary O'Connor - ST, £1.6 Million (Lokomotiv Moskow) 2006 Had his ups and downs.

Ian Murray - DF/MF, free transfer (Rangers) 2005 Useful veratile player.

Gary Caldwell - CB, free transfer (Celtic) 2006 Shame he went on a free, but was happy to see him get a regular place in the Scotland squad.

Steven Fletcher - ST, £3.5 Million (Burnley) 2009 A great replacement for deek/gaz.

Ivan Sproule - RW, £500,000 (Bristol City) 2007 Got me off my seat everytime. First seen him in a freindly against Hartlepool.

Dean Shiels - Attacking Midfielder, £50,000 (Doncaster Rovers) 2009[/QUOTE]
Great touch and controll.

Boozy in the engine room picking off passes and making it look so easy.

Jdawg
04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Are you referring to the 2013 cup final when Hibs didn't turn up and our midfield just stood around admiring him and watched him run the show. Easy for a good player to "run the show" if he isn't challenged.

He is a good player though and of course we would take him back.

In response to the person saying they wouldn't have him back now - yeah right, he'd toil to oust Taiwo from our midfield right enough. The very game, I will concede that the hibs team/midfield didn't turn up but he still played well. Celtic generally are far slicker when he plays though.