PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Hibs players in Scotland Squads

theonlywayisup
03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Not surprising, none in the Full Scottish team.

None in the U21s either, when a few years ago we would have had 2 or 3. As someone said at the AGM, pretty appalling!!

Scotland Under-21 squad:

Goalkeepers
Jordan Archer (Tottenham Hotspur)
Christopher Kettings (Blackpool) *

Defenders
Stuart Findlay (Celtic)
Jack Grimmer (Fulham)
Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)
Jordan McGhee (Heart of Midlothian)
Andrew Robertson (Dundee United)
Clark Robertson (Aberdeen)
Lewis Toshney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)
Fraser Fyvie (Wigan Athletic)
John Herron (Celtic)
Jason Holt (Heart of Midlothian)
Lewis Macleod (Rangers)
Dylan McGeouch (Celtic)

Forwards
Mark Beck (Carlisle United)
Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)
Stevie May (St Johnstone)
Callum McGregor (Celtic) **
Callum Paterson (Heart of Midlothian)

* on loan at York City
** on loan at Notts County

McKenzie
03-10-2013, 06:20 PM
In fairness, I do believe that if Harris and Handling were both fit and playing, then they would be in that U21 squad at least.

KeithTheHibby
03-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't have any complaints, none of our players are good enough to merit a place in the squad(s).

Harris and Handling possibly but injury has ruled them out.

Mr White
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Thomson Robertson and Craig could come into contention for Scotland if they produce the form they're capable of consistently.

Unseen work
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Like said I think Harris and handling would be in the squad if fit, also think Forster would be if he was stil playing every week

MrRobot
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't think Thomson will be far off getting in regularly. If Craig can keep up his form, he may get a call up too.

Centre Hawf
03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Sorry, but i can't see Craig, Robertson, Hanlon etc getting a call up. As poor as the Scotland team is at the moment i just don't see it. I was surprised when Thomson got a call up and he didn't even make the bench against Belgium.

Harris and Handling would probably be in the Under 21's if they were fit however.

Golden Bear
03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
The lack of representative players must surely have an adverse effect on our performance indicators.

Heads must roll I tell ye!!

:grr:

:greengrin

brog
04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Not surprising, none in the Full Scottish team.

None in the U21s either, when a few years ago we would have had 2 or 3. As someone said at the AGM, pretty appalling!!

Scotland Under-21 squad:

Goalkeepers
Jordan Archer (Tottenham Hotspur)
Christopher Kettings (Blackpool) *

Defenders
Stuart Findlay (Celtic)
Jack Grimmer (Fulham)
Ryan Jack (Aberdeen)
Jordan McGhee (Heart of Midlothian)
Andrew Robertson (Dundee United)
Clark Robertson (Aberdeen)
Lewis Toshney (Celtic)

Midfielders
Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United)
Fraser Fyvie (Wigan Athletic)
John Herron (Celtic)
Jason Holt (Heart of Midlothian)
Lewis Macleod (Rangers)
Dylan McGeouch (Celtic)

Forwards
Mark Beck (Carlisle United)
Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth)
Stevie May (St Johnstone)
Callum McGregor (Celtic) **
Callum Paterson (Heart of Midlothian)

* on loan at York City
** on loan at Notts County

Well at least the Yam content has been halved from 6 to 3. My biggest problem is there's always a high Celtc representation, a hangover from the schoolboy teams, when most of their players have never been near the first team. If Stanton was at either of the OF his name would be there. Incidentally, anyone know the U-19 squad? I tried unsuccessfully to find it on SFA site yesterday.
A separate question, were any of our golden generation capped at schoolboy level? I think Lewis was, at LB, but don't recall any of the more famous players.

Ritchie
04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Thomson Robertson and Craig could come into contention for Scotland if they produce the form they're capable of consistently.

Not a chance IMO, it would take a lot of injuries to a number of midfielders playing in england until anybody (bar Thomson) gets a look in.

There is only 3 Scottish based players in the latest squad, Mulgrew, Wallace & Brown.

Mark79
04-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Sorry, but i can't see Craig, Robertson, Hanlon etc getting a call up. As poor as the Scotland team is at the moment i just don't see it. I was surprised when Thomson got a call up and he didn't even make the bench against Belgium.

Harris and Handling would probably be in the Under 21's if they were fit however.

Can't see Hanlon being a full international. Too slow imho.

frazeHFC
04-10-2013, 08:11 AM
From what I've seen of Stanton, if he was playing more regularly he would make the U21s.

18Craig75
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
With the amount of championship/premiership players we have now, I think it's going to become increasingly difficult for anyone outside the old firm to be represented in the squads.

It's very disappointing that we don't have any players in the youth squads though, and worrying.

Finbar
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
The aim of the hibs youth system seems to be to produce players good enough for the first team. I think they should be aiming higher than that and trying to produce players who can play at international level. Hopefully it's something that is being looked at.