PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to win the Champions League?

theonlywayisup
02-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Which team and why?

theonlywayisup
02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Which team and why?

For me, same team as last year. Think they will be the first team to retain the CL.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Bayern, they are just the best out there now.

bighairyfaeleith
02-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Bayern, you would be nuts to bet on anyone else.

nonshinyfinish
02-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Plenty of scope for upsets in the knock-out rounds, but Bayern are clear favourites.

GreenArmyyy!
02-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Hearts.

HibbyAndy
02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Real madrid.

Sir David Gray
02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Real Madrid.

Anyone with Cristiano Ronaldo in their team will never be far away.

Ozyhibby
02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Hearts.

Disappointed it took till post 6.
:-)

Pretty Boy
02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Bayern Munich.

Settled team. Solid at the back, frightening going forward.

AgentDaleCooper
02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
i reckon arsenal, because i think ozil is the player wenger has always wanted - someone who actually can and will create the perfect goal, time and time again.

McKenzie
02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
More votes for Dortmund than Barcelona at this stage, how times have changed

nonshinyfinish
02-10-2013, 10:35 PM
More votes for Dortmund than Barcelona at this stage, how times have changed

Sample size says that means f*** all.

weonlywon6-2
03-10-2013, 05:51 AM
For me, same team as last year. Think they will be the first team to retain the CL.

Yep,Bayern for me.They are the new Barcelona!

PeeJay
03-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Hate to say it, but can't see past Bayern at the moment - they made Man City look like training ground partners last night ...

Aldo
03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Bayern but think Real Madrid won't be too far behind.

Alex Trager
03-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Going to go with my heart and say dortmund. They've already beaten Bayern this season and I can't see why they can't again. Obviously they've gotten off to a difficult start but they played very very well against OM. I reckon tilt come down to who beats who between them and arse to see who wins the group

southfieldhibby
03-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Bayern and Real look the easy bet, got a cheeky wee gut feeling PSG might go very far.

Oscar T Grouch
03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I reckon Arsenal, I think they may just have the squad to do it now, also think they will be there or thereabout for the Premiership too.

If no Arsenal then probably Bayern again, they look good.

Ken
03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Can't see Arsenal winning it with their shan defence, although if they strengthen their defence in January they might have an chance of making the last 4. Can't see past Bayern, but think Barca will run them close.

Real Madrid won't win it.

weonlywon6-2
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Hearts.

Who are they ,never heard of them ???

IanM
03-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Bayern.. if ever a team looks like they're going to get better it's them.

everything about them looks the business.. you're not far wrong from picking the winner if you look outside England though.

All the English sides you can find a fault, there's zero not to like about Munich..

allezsauzee
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Gone for Dortmund to do what Bayern did and win it after being beaten finalists. As impressive as Bayern look, nobody has retained the champions league since Milan did it in the early 90s which shows how difficult it is.

Treadstone
03-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Gone for Dortmund to do what Bayern did and win it after being beaten finalists. As impressive as Bayern look, nobody has retained the champions league since Milan did it in the early 90s which shows how difficult it is.

Wasn't Champions League when Milan won it two years on spin.

allezsauzee
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Wasn't Champions League when Milan won it two years on spin.
ok then nobody has ever retained the Champions league. Europe's main cup competition hasn't been retained since 1990. I think that makes my point more valid :na na:

Treadstone
03-10-2013, 12:15 PM
ok then nobody has ever retained the Champions league. Europe's main cup competition hasn't been retained since 1990. I think that makes my point more valid :na na:

A bit pedantic of me but i think its valid. Champions League introduced a new format. Prior to that it was eight games to the final in an open draw every round (have a look at the routes of Malmo 1979 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978%E2%80%9379_European_Cup) and Steaua 1986 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985%E2%80%9386_European_Cup)). Although the format has changed a little from the early seasons of the Champions League when the knockout stage is reached its pretty much the cream of European football. Previously by virtue of fortunate draws inferior teams could make it to the last four without being outstanding.

offshorehibby
03-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Has to be Bayern

Iggy Pope
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Real Madrid.

Anyone with Cristiano Ronaldo in their team will never be far away.

Show pony. Not a team player. Never has been, never will be.
They've stayed pretty far away from winning it lots of times with him in the side.

frazeHFC
03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Bayern again, no explination needed, just class!

Hibercelona
03-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I think Barcelona will win it. They'll do what Chelsea did a couple of years back and weasel their way to the very end.

SteveHFC
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Dortmund :agree:

jacomo
03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Bayern but think Real Madrid won't be too far behind.

Bayern. They are utterly brilliant. Gotze can't get a start either, and he is also brilliant.

I think Perez has done it again, and upset the balance of the Madrid team by signing another Galactico, just like he did when he let Makelele go.

Fergus52
03-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Can't see Arsenal winning it with their shan defence, although if they strengthen their defence in January they might have an chance of making the last 4. Can't see past Bayern, but think Barca will run them close.

Real Madrid won't win it.

fancy elaborating on that?

I disagree, but I want to know why you think it's pish.

Frank Moon
03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
They've stayed pretty far away from winning it lots of times with him in the side.

Three semi finals isn't that far away!

Sir David Gray
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM

Since Ronaldo went to Madrid, this is their record in the Champions League;

2009-10 - Last 16 (Lost to Lyon who made the semi finals)
2010-11 - Semi finals (Lost to Barcelona who went on to win the trophy)
2011-12 - Semi finals (Lost to Bayern Munich who were the runners up)
2012-13 - Semi finals (Lost to Borussia Dortmund who were the runners up)

I would hardly say that 3 semi final appearances out of 4 is "pretty far away from winning" the Champions League.

As for him not being a team player, he's scored 212 goals in 208 appearances. I would say he's doing his fair share for the team!

I would love a show pony like him at Easter Road.

Unseen work
03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Would never class Ronaldo as a show pony now a days. At the start yes, not now. If you watch him now he rarely does a lot of skill most of the time he's direct and uses his speed and power with the off step over it chop to change direction.
Don't understand how he's not a team player also

Iggy Pope
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Since Ronaldo went to Madrid, this is their record in the Champions League;

2009-10 - Last 16 (Lost to Lyon who made the semi finals)
2010-11 - Semi finals (Lost to Barcelona who went on to win the trophy)
2011-12 - Semi finals (Lost to Bayern Munich who were the runners up)
2012-13 - Semi finals (Lost to Borussia Dortmund who were the runners up)

I would hardly say that 3 semi final appearances out of 4 is "pretty far away from winning" the Champions League.
As for him not being a team player, he's scored 212 goals in 208 appearances. I would say he's doing his fair share for the team!

I would love a show pony like him at Easter Road.

I would.
Genuinely never looked like winning it since his arrival and plays the game like its all about him.
Show pony.

theonlywayisup
05-10-2013, 01:46 PM
No-one tipping ManU yet! think they will qualify for the next stages, but will struggle against the better teams.

NAE NOOKIE
05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
The rich

05-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Hearts.

Walk in the park for the "big team"

theonlywayisup
27-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Champions League week. Any more thoughts on who is going to win it.

Frank Moon
27-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Still Real and they are getting better and more balanced as the season progresses.

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Can be entirely irrelevant in a knock-out tournament, but FC Hollywood still look like the most complete team by quite a distance.

yeezus.
27-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Champions League week. Any more thoughts on who is going to win it.

Voted for Real Madrid but I really fancy Bayern now, they looked outstanding against Man City and anyone who can go to the Etihad and get a result must be good.

weonlywon6-2
27-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Celtic,with supporters like theirs they deserve to win it

weonlywon6-2
27-11-2013, 07:51 PM

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Funnier the first time.

Glory Lurker
27-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Can't we have a "Don't care which luvvie club wins this bloated bore-fest" option? :cb

hibees 7062
27-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Hearts.

You never said why :greengrin

Bostonhibby
27-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Been watching all the Dr Who bollox this week, have we been transported back? is it 2008? If so this is the yams year isn't it? Believe.......

hibees 7062
27-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Hearts.

Na i think theyll be concentrating on the league , or trying to stay in it :greengrin

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:10 AM
The rich
100% this. No one else will ever have a look in as long as UEFA continue with their elitist attitude and ignore the fact they are leaving the rest behind. Creating non competitive leagues and unfair seeding principles. So who really gives a **** who wins this?

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 05:49 AM
Voted Man City, If they click and start having consistency and play the way they did against spurs i cant see anyone beating them in my opinion.

Steve20
28-11-2013, 08:49 AM
100% this. No one else will ever have a look in as long as UEFA continue with their elitist attitude and ignore the fact they are leaving the rest behind. Creating non competitive leagues and unfair seeding principles. So who really gives a **** who wins this?

I never understand why people come onto threads to just say 'who gives a ****?'. If you don't care about it, then just don't comment on it. Some people are interested in it.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 10:55 AM
I never understand why people come onto threads to just say 'who gives a ****?'. If you don't care about it, then just don't comment on it. Some people are interested in it.
It's usually because it's an opinion to a question that has been posed. Discussions can take many roads with differing opinions and the last time I looked, everyone has an entitlement to one.

Andy74
28-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Making the point that you don't care is a relevant point in itself.

I don't care anymore either in the format of current European competitions.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Regardless of the format or all this rich getting richer malarkey the competition produces some top notch football. and thats what we are all after being football fans is it not?

CorrieHibs
28-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I went with Atletico Madrid

Andy74
28-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Regardless of the format or all this rich getting richer malarkey the competition produces some top notch football. and thats what we are all after being football fans is it not?

You could see that in exhibition games.

As football fans do we not also want to a bit of the unexpected or some random interest?

I'd rather see the genuine champions from each league play each other again in an unstructured way instead of bending over backwards to see that we get the same bunch of clubs competing over and over again.

It's a bit like constantly playing FIFA and everyone going Barca, Bayern, Real Madrid etc. It just bores me for that reason.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 12:10 PM

As football fans do we not also want to a bit of the unexpected or some random interest?

I'd rather see the genuine champions from each league play each other again in an unstructured way instead of bending over backwards to see that we get the same bunch of clubs competing over and over again.

It's a bit like constantly playing FIFA and everyone going Barca, Bayern, Real Madrid etc. It just bores me for that reason.

Disagree with the part in bold completely.

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. I enjoyed the old format of the competition too.

But look at how disinterested people are in international football now, alot of that is down to the fact that alot of games are played in a qualifying format, alot of the time against teams so much weaker. so you would be ahppy watching the likes of real madrid taking 10+ goals off the champions of finland or belarus or malta?

The same teams that get to the group stages would always be the ones making it to the later stages of the tournament if it stayed in its old format, you would get the odd team making it from time to time. for instance, this season, look at austria vienna and Plzen (Granted Plzen have made it before) if these teams did achieve the impossible and make it to maybe the quarter final in the old format they would benefit from 2 legs of money spinning football rather than having 6 in the champions league which then benefits them more in the long run and enhances there chances of making it more often.

I know where football has gone now but being honest the champions league is exciting and produces great football.

Maybe the FIFA fair play regulations will change that but i doubt it as the major clubs have already found a loophole in it which apparantley manchester city are about to exploit when they sign messi in the summer. heard it here first :wink:

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 12:32 PM

I actually agree with you to a certain extent. I enjoyed the old format of the competition too.

But look at how disinterested people are in international football now, alot of that is down to the fact that alot of games are played in a qualifying format, alot of the time against teams so much weaker. so you would be ahppy watching the likes of real madrid taking 10+ goals off the champions of finland or belarus or malta?

The same teams that get to the group stages would always be the ones making it to the later stages of the tournament if it stayed in its old format, you would get the odd team making it from time to time. for instance, this season, look at austria vienna and Plzen (Granted Plzen have made it before) if these teams did achieve the impossible and make it to maybe the quarter final in the old format they would benefit from 2 legs of money spinning football rather than having 6 in the champions league which then benefits them more in the long run and enhances there chances of making it more often.

I know where football has gone now but being honest the champions league is exciting and produces great football.

Maybe the FIFA fair play regulations will change that but i doubt it as the major clubs have already found a loophole in it which apparantley manchester city are about to exploit when they sign messi in the summer. heard it here first :wink:
It's about evolution. As long as the current format continues the big clubs will just get bigger and bigger. Leaving behind the smaller countries and making competition weaker. Thus creating the score lines that you mention. Surely it's up to UEFA or FIFA to recognise the division that is being created with this and do something to redress the balance. The format that is there just now and the seeding principles ensures that there is absolutely no fair spread of wealth.

Andy74
28-11-2013, 12:50 PM

If you just had the winners from each country then no you wouldn't just get the same self perpetuating competition each year.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 12:50 PM
It's about evolution. As long as the current format continues the big clubs will just get bigger and bigger. Leaving behind the smaller countries and making competition weaker. Thus creating the score lines that you mention. Surely it's up to UEFA or FIFA to recognise the division that is being created with this and do something to redress the balance. The format that is there just now and the seeding principles ensures that there is absolutely no fair spread of wealth.

I dont believe that for a minute. There are always new teams appearing in the champions league. lets look at the last 100 years, Bayern, Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Juventus, Benfica etc etc all clubs that have dominated for decades and clubs that still do. No point getting nostalgic, the big clubs when the competition was in its old format are still the big clubs now.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 12:51 PM
If you just had the winners from each country then no you wouldn't just get the same self perpetuating competition each year.

But you would get the same, non competative pishy one sided games.

And you do get the winners from each country.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I dont believe that for a minute. There are always new teams appearing in the champions league. lets look at the last 100 years, Bayern, Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man United, Juventus, Benfica etc etc all clubs that have dominated for decades and clubs that still do. No point getting nostalgic, the big clubs when the competition was in its old format are still the big clubs now.
Hence the point that it is only the rich clubs that can win this. The seeding for the competition ensures this. Yes there is the token new club that crops up now and again. The gap between the English German Spanish and Italian leagues with the rest is growing year on year and for me UEFA have an obligation to all its members to share the wealth and increase competition.
We can't criticise the SFA or SPFL for their favouritism of the two big Glasgow clubs if we are accepting of it with UEFA. Smacks of double standards.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:15 PM
But you would get the same, non competative pishy one sided games.

And you do get the winners from each country.
No you don't. Most have to play one, two or even three qualifying rounds before they get a sniff of the big money integral up stages. Whereas the second best or even third best team of the favoured nations get free access.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:17 PM
No you don't. Most have to play one, two or even three qualifying rounds before they get a sniff of the big money integral up stages. Whereas the second best or even third best team of the favoured nations get free access.
That was supposed to read "in the group" stages

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:21 PM
That was supposed to read "in the group stages"

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Hence the point that it is only the rich clubs that can win this. The seeding for the competition ensures this. Yes there is the token new club that crops up now and again. The gap between the English German Spanish and Italian leagues with the rest is growing year on year and for me UEFA have an obligation to all its members to share the wealth and increase competition.
We can't criticise the SFA or SPFL for their favouritism of the two big Glasgow clubs if we are accepting of it with UEFA. Smacks of double standards.

I cant agree im affraid, There have been so called lesser clubs that have gone on good runs in the competition as it is just now. Its about competition for me. In my opinion the best clubs are the best clubs on merit. Obviously money helps them maintain this im not disputing that but for me if FIFA or UEFA "share the wealth" so to speak it wouldnt change a thing in my opinion.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 01:32 PM

They still have the chance to qualify for the group stages though. Which for them (smaller clubs) are the latter stages of the competition, and regardless of format a part of the competition they have never been able to reach.

As ive said, i dont particularly agree with the format either but i think for folk to say the tournament is rubbish and its name practically tarnished because effectively clubs that have never done well in it still arent is a wee bit crap.

Im looking at this in a footballing point of view not financially. i enjoy the football the tournament produces like most people regardless of how wealthy the club is.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 01:39 PM
I cant agree im affraid, There have been so called lesser clubs that have gone on good runs in the competition as it is just now. Its about competition for me. In my opinion the best clubs are the best clubs on merit. Obviously money helps them maintain this im not disputing that but for me if FIFA or UEFA "share the wealth" so to speak it wouldnt change a thing in my opinion.
Do you actually believe what you're saying? So if other clubs or countries were given the same opportunity and funds to grow there would be no change to the elitism we are witnessing just now?
How much of a force were Manchester City in European or indeed English football before they were given their cash injection a few years ago? Money talks and without a fairer distribution we will see the same 8 clubs dominate the latter stage of this competition for years to come.

brian6-2
28-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Do you actually believe what you're saying? So if other clubs or countries were given the same opportunity and funds to grow there would be no change to the elitism we are witnessing just now?
How much of a force were Manchester City in European or indeed English football before they were given their cash injection a few years ago? Money talks and without a fairer distribution we will see the same 8 clubs dominate the latter stage of this competition for years to come.

Yes, of course i do. i wouldnt say it otherwise.

Ok, let me put it like this. Lets pick 2 clubs who win thier leagues respectively each (most) season. say HJK Helsinki and FC Porto. HJK Helsinki, predomanantly made up of part time players playing in a smaller league set up where football isnt even the first choice sport. Then FC Porto, Full set up, packed with internationals. do you think giving them the same hand out from this pot of money your banging on about is going to make HJK a better side? Is it going to make them reach the group stages every year? no.

Now, granted ive no doubt the money would help them but these hand outs wouldnt change a thing. you would still see the same teams give or take a couple in the group stages of the champions league.

and give or take 1 or 2 the same 8 clubs have dominated the competition from the day it started.

you dont have to watch it!! watch something else if it pisses you off so much.

yekimevol
28-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Madrid, They have the right manager for the competition in ancelotti who knows how to win it.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Yes, of course i do. i wouldnt say it otherwise.

Ok, let me put it like this. Lets pick 2 clubs who win thier leagues respectively each (most) season. say HJK Helsinki and FC Porto. HJK Helsinki, predomanantly made up of part time players playing in a smaller league set up where football isnt even the first choice sport. Then FC Porto, Full set up, packed with internationals. do you think giving them the same hand out from this pot of money your banging on about is going to make HJK a better side? Is it going to make them reach the group stages every year? no.

Now, granted ive no doubt the money would help them but these hand outs wouldnt change a thing. you would still see the same teams give or take a couple in the group stages of the champions league.

and give or take 1 or 2 the same 8 clubs have dominated the competition from the day it started.

you dont have to watch it!! watch something else if it pisses you off so much.
What don't you get? More money might make HjK Helsinki become a full time club and help the game grow in Finland as a whole. No one is saying that they are going to win the champions league but you never know. As I said its about evolving the game as a whole. You say you think people are put off by one sided games yet you don't want to do anything to help eradicate them. Maybe your solution is just to invite these top teams into the quarter finals every year and forget the rest of it, then you would be guaranteed the football you want. Oh and while we are at it, when Rangers eventually get back into the Premiership lets just accept that they along with Celtic will get the majority of the war chest while the rest of us scramble about for whatever "hand out" they'll want to give us. Well let's face it we will never really have much chance of winning the league will we?
i don't need you telling me what I should and shouldn't watch just because my opinion differs from yours. I never once said the football was bad my criticism is of what I feel is the corrupt and elitist nature of the competition. My involvement in this thread was to agree with another post that stated it would be the rich that won it. If anyone thinks that it is fair in Europe but not fair here in respect of spreading the wealth then, in my opinion, those are double standards.

Andy74
28-11-2013, 02:27 PM
They still have the chance to qualify for the group stages though. Which for them (smaller clubs) are the latter stages of the competition, and regardless of format a part of the competition they have never been able to reach.

As ive said, i dont particularly agree with the format either but i think for folk to say the tournament is rubbish and its name practically tarnished because effectively clubs that have never done well in it still arent is a wee bit crap.

Im looking at this in a footballing point of view not financially. i enjoy the football the tournament produces like most people regardless of how wealthy the club is.

I think there have been about 40 different finalists in 50 years or so.

I'd bet that number shrinks significantly if it stays like this for the next 50.

RIP Bestie
28-11-2013, 02:39 PM

They can't reach it because they don't have the finances to compete at that level. Because of the finances of the elite they can go out and spend tens of millions of pounds on players and virtually buy themselves a place in the last eight. That's not competition. Unfortunately it us modern day football though and something needs to be done about it before we in Scotland become more of a backwater than we are at present.

Scouse Hibee
28-11-2013, 03:25 PM
When the champions league was the old european cup format with Champions only there was a massive difference as players didn't really move abroad as much as they do nowadays as most teams paid roughly the same level of money. This meant that many good players were quite happy to stay in their home country thus making some of the lesser teams a higher standard of oponent. There were of course some notable exceptions who did move abroad. Evidence would suggest it was an easier trophy to win if you look at how often it was retained. As for this year I'll go for a Spanish team.

CalgaryHibs
28-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Which team and why?

Easy Barça t'he Besòs Vamos Barça!

Jonnyboy
28-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Agree with this 100% but doubt it will ever return to that format. In the meantime I pick and choose which matches to watch :greengrin

Ronniekirk
28-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Real Madrid Why in a word Ronaldo he deserves it

fatbloke
28-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Celtic or Rangers surely, best fans in the world, most Loyal supporters, world superstars Samaras and Black it's a no-brainer isn't it?:greengrin

Eyrie
28-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Celtic or Rangers surely, best fans in the world, most Loyal supporters, world superstars Samaras and Black it's a no-brainer isn't it?:greengrin

Two examples of no-brains there, right enough :thumbsup:

DC_Hibs
30-11-2013, 12:31 PM
The Europa league is where its at oder? - 12,000 Frankfurters marching on Bordeaux

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/dc_hibs/Bordeaux_zps9faff89f.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wqsEKRpEH9E

theonlywayisup
11-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Voted Man City, If they click and start having consistency and play the way they did against spurs i cant see anyone beating them in my opinion.

Anyone else fancy Man City after last night's fightback against Bayern - the top tip for most fans? Suppose, it depends who they get in the last sixteen.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Real Madrid for me, Cristiano Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Di Maria etc...

Bayern and Barca wont be far away though.

HibbyAndy
11-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Real madrid but i hope Arsenal.

pacorosssco
11-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I used to watch CL all the time, cant be bothered now and even the final I have missed in recent years. Football has become a shame.

jacomo
11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm in the camp that hankers for the old European Cup. Champions of each country in a straight knock out competition... It's pure and beautiful.

The other point is that the modern Champions League has killed the other European competitions - Cup Winners Cup has gone, the old UEFA Cup went and became the Europa League which no one gives a **** about.

Anyhow, I go for Bayern despite their defeat to Man City. So much strength in depth and will probably have an easy time of it in the Bundesliga so will be fresh for the knock out stages too.

theonlywayisup
11-12-2013, 11:34 PM
​Group Winners:

Manchester United
Real Madrid
Paris St-Germain
Bayern Munich
Chelsea
Borussia Dortmund
Atletico Madrid
Barcelona

​Runners-up:

Bayer Leverkusen
Galatasaray
Olympiakos
Manchester City
Schalke
Arsenal
Zenit St Petersburg
Milan

monktonharp
11-12-2013, 11:44 PM
got to be Barcelona. any team that can put 6 past a team (with ease) that recently beat a big team from Edinburgh ,scoring 7 goals (with ease) must now be favourites.:cb my original fancy was Bayern Munchen I must add.

theonlywayisup
12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
​Group Winners:

Manchester United
Real Madrid
Paris St-Germain
Bayern Munich
Chelsea
Borussia Dortmund
Atletico Madrid
Barcelona

​Runners-up:

Bayer Leverkusen
Galatasaray
Olympiakos
Manchester City
Schalke
Arsenal
Zenit St Petersburg
Milan

The draw for the last 16 is on Monday. Looks an easier draw for Man U and Chelsea. Could be tricky for Man City and Arsenal. This is who the English teams may play:

Manchester United will play either:
Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Schalke, Zenit St Petersburg or Milan

Chelsea will play either:
Bayer Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Zenit St Petersburg or Milan

Manchester City will play either:
Real Madrid, PSG, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona

Arsenal will play either:
Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona

hibees 7062
12-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Man City

Flanny boy
12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
B.munich

theonlywayisup
18-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Good to see the Champions League back. The majority thought Bayern Munich will win it. Are they still best bets to win it, or will an outsider will it. Maybe PSG?

NOLA
18-02-2014, 07:35 PM
im sticking with Bayern, clearly the best team still in the competion

nonshinyfinish
18-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I would say Bayern are still favourites. They've continued absolutely battering the Bundesliga while the CL has been off - yet to lose a game, 9 goals conceded in 21 games.

theonlywayisup
18-02-2014, 07:48 PM
I would say Bayern are still favourites. They've continued absolutely battering the Bundesliga while the CL has been off - yet to lose a game, 9 goals conceded in 21 games.

So you see them getting past Arsenal?

nonshinyfinish
18-02-2014, 07:49 PM
So you see them getting past Arsenal?

Comfortably, if they play close to their best.

nonshinyfinish
18-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I would add, however, that Bayern's defensive record in the Bundesliga owes a lot to Barca-style dominance of games - if they have a weakness at CL-level, it's central defence. If Arsenal are in good attacking form then it could well be high-scoring.

Scouse Hibee
18-02-2014, 08:32 PM
Not Man City :greengrin

lugz
18-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Either 17 people support Arsenal or are being silly. Not a hope!!

Hibercelona
19-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Still sticking with Barcelona. They just have something about them that other teams don't.

Eyrie
19-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Still sticking with Barcelona. They just have something about them that other teams don't.

The ball?

Pity that they're too busy passing it five yards to actually create much in the way of opportunities. Last night was the same old story - I initially enjoy watching their technical skills but ultimately get bored by the lack of action.

Not advocating hoofball, but a few shots would be nice.

emerald green
19-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Hearts.

Haw haw.:greengrin

Smiggy 7-0
19-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Barcelona

theonlywayisup
19-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Looks like two of the English four are out. Will the other two fare any better next week?

NOLA
19-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Looks like two of the English four are out. Will the other two fare any better next week?
chelsea and who else? im guessing man u but was sure they got knocked out.

Dunbar Hibee
19-02-2014, 09:46 PM
chelsea and who else? im guessing man u but was sure they got knocked out.

Chelsea and Utd. Both will go through I think.

hfc rd
19-02-2014, 10:29 PM
At the start before the group stage kicked off, I predicted FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid & PSG would be the semi finalists.

HibeeLR
19-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Will be a Real Madrid v Bayern final

Flo1898
20-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Psg-bayern i guess

3pm
20-02-2014, 07:06 AM
I like watching some games in the English Premier Greed but they are miles behind the top teams.

Chelsea might do some damage as the mouthpiece rarely comes up 2nd best in a tactical battle. Still a bit light up front to win it this year but they will have a chance next year IMO.

theonlywayisup
19-03-2014, 07:08 PM
So that is:

Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Chelsea

already into the quarters. Who will join them?

Borussia Dortmund and Man United would give us a high quality last eight.

Alex Trager
20-03-2014, 07:34 AM
So that is:

Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid
PSG
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Chelsea

already into the quarters. Who will join them?

Borussia Dortmund and Man United would give us a high quality last eight.

There's your high qualify last eight.

As a BVB fan I hope for UTD

Keith_M
20-03-2014, 07:39 AM
I just voted for Celtc.

Surely our new establishment club can overcome such a minor hurdle as not actually being in the competition any more

:greengrin

jacomo
20-03-2014, 11:28 AM
David Moyes reckons Man U can win it.

:faf:

Definitely drowning not waving, that man.

oramhibee
21-03-2014, 07:59 PM
I thought Hearts were going to win it?

Dashing Bob S
21-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm sticking with Hearts. Yes, they are having troubled times, but you can never write off a club of that size, and with that kind of pedigree. They always seem to be able to be pull out that little bit of extra in the CL knock-out stages.

theonlywayisup
21-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm sticking with Hearts. Yes, they are having troubled times, but you can never write off a club of that size, and with that kind of pedigree. They always seem to be able to be pull out that little bit of extra in the CL knock-out stages.

They probably has as good a chance as Man United.

silverhibee
21-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Red :devil:s

Swedish hibee
22-03-2014, 12:11 AM
PSG - gotta love the Zlatan!