PDA

View Full Version : Standing areas

Jonnyboy
02-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I know this subject has come up on here a fair bit recently and over a number of threads. As I cannae be ersed looking for the appropriate thread, I thought I'd start this new one :greengrin

At the start of the 1989/90 season, the following was the position re seating at grounds. Of course everywhere is seated now but it's interesting to see the effect it's had on certain clubs

A study of available seating, at Scotland’s Premier Division grounds, offered up the following:-

Celtic had just 8,323 seats in a stadium with a capacity of 60,700.
Rangers could seat 35,000 of their 43,400 capacity
St. Mirren could seat only 2,000 of their 24,500 capacity.

The Edinburgh clubs differed quite dramatically

Hearts were able to seat 10,000 of their 28,755 capacity
Hibs could only seat 6,700 out of 22,300.

Only Aberdeen, in the top division, had an all seated stadium.

Wheat Hound
02-10-2013, 03:48 PM
That's interesting. I didn't think old Tynie had circa 6k more capacity than old ER as I always thought they were roughly the same size. I know the merricks had their benched terracing at the 'crazy corner' area that might account for their 10k worth of seating but the terracing at each stadium always looked similar sized?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-10-2013, 04:09 PM
The buddies pushed the boat out with Victor (nae neck) but I don't think they reached capacity did they? Did Gunni Torfasson* play for them or am I getting my Saints mixed up?

* who incidentally was at the Hands Off Hibs rally at the Usher Hall (the original)

Keith_M
02-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Meeting the 10,000 minimum, all seating requirement crippled quite a number of clubs and put others in serious debt.

Airdrie, for one, never recovered and were eventually liquidated (although brought back to life) and other clubs, such as Partick and Dunfermline, for instance, also struggled. Most clubs ended up millions or tens of milions in debt because of the requirements.

I'd have to say, though, that there was a plus side. The majority of clubs in Scotland were decades behind in regard to their stadia and most had no plans to change the situation. The requirement for seating is probably the only reason most clubs have modern stadia today.

Jonnyboy
02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
The buddies pushed the boat out with Victor (nae neck) but I don't think they reached capacity did they? Did Gunni Torfasson* play for them or am I getting my Saints mixed up?

* who incidentally was at the Hands Off Hibs rally at the Usher Hall (the original)

He did indeed. Gudmunder Torfason played for St Mirren and then on to St Johnstone hence the Saints confusion :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Odd thing about Tynie is that I have been in that ground when it felt like it was full and fit to bursting when we were standing in the traditional away end and it felt a whole lot safer than it does now.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-10-2013, 06:52 PM
He did indeed. Gudmunder Torfason played for St Mirren and then on to St Johnstone hence the Saints confusion :greengrin
Ah - thanks Jb

neilmartinrocks
03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I know this subject has come up on here a fair bit recently and over a number of threads. As I cannae be ersed looking for the appropriate thread, I thought I'd start this new one :greengrin

At the start of the 1989/90 season, the following was the position re seating at grounds. Of course everywhere is seated now but it's interesting to see the effect it's had on certain clubs

A study of available seating, at Scotland’s Premier Division grounds, offered up the following:-

Celtic had just 8,323 seats in a stadium with a capacity of 60,700.
Rangers could seat 35,000 of their 43,400 capacity
St. Mirren could seat only 2,000 of their 24,500 capacity.

The Edinburgh clubs differed quite dramatically

Hearts were able to seat 10,000 of their 28,755 capacity
Hibs could only seat 6,700 out of 22,300.

Only Aberdeen, in the top division, had an all seated stadium.

Would I be right in saying Mcdairmid was the first purpose built all seated football stadium in Scotland?

Iggy Pope
03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Meeting the 10,000 minimum, all seating requirement crippled quite a number of clubs and put others in serious debt.

Airdrie, for one, never recovered and were eventually liquidated (although brought back to life) and other clubs, such as Partick and Dunfermline, for instance, also struggled. Most clubs ended up millions or tens of milions in debt because of the requirements.

I'd have to say, though, that there was a plus side. The majority of clubs in Scotland were decades behind in regard to their stadia and most had no plans to change the situation. The requirement for seating is probably the only reason most clubs have modern stadia today.

Raith Rovers are another good example.
Take an atmospheric traditionally built football 'ground' (bits of which you can still see) and turn it into a big fifeish white elephant that nobody ever sits on.
I'm struggling to see the plus side for these clubs that did not need the change Keekaboo. It has worked well for some of us though.

Crossgates Hibs
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Odd thing about Tynie is that I have been in that ground when it felt like it was full and fit to bursting when we were standing in the traditional away end and it felt a whole lot safer than it does now.

You must be joking 8000 folk trying to get out that stinking tunnel the crush was horrendous I was only a teenager then but used to hate leaving that old away end always relieved when I got out.:agree:

Jonnyboy
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Would I be right in saying Mcdairmid was the first purpose built all seated football stadium in Scotland?

That's certainly what I'd say was the case :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
That's certainly what I'd say was the case :agree:
Kilbowie, the ground of the now defunct Clydebank FC was the first was it not?

Jonnyboy
03-10-2013, 06:56 PM

Was it? Don't know to be honest

Jonnyboy
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Don't know, as I said the first time you asked :greengrin

Mr White
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM

Mind he scored a cracking overhead kick (against Andy Goram)at Easter road that season.

Keith_M
04-10-2013, 10:46 AM

The question was first purpose built all seater. If so, McDiarmiad Park, as it was the first all seated stadium built from scratch.

Kilbowie became all-seated in 1977, one year before Pittodire. However, most of the stadium was uncovered so people stood up anyway, as sitting in the rain on a wooden bench (it always rains in Clydebank) is no fun at all :greengrin

p.s. THIS is what you call a Standing Area

jacomo
04-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Hibs could still be the first top-flight club in the UK to bring safe standing areas back.

Petrie get it sorted.

Andy74
04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I'd rather we left the infrastructure stuff until the team was competing regularly enough.

Waxy
04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Give us a standing area.

jacomo
04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I'd rather we left the infrastructure stuff until the team was competing regularly enough.

:greengrin

Pat 0-7
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
You must be joking 8000 folk trying to get out that stinking tunnel the crush was horrendous I was only a teenager then but used to hate leaving that old away end always relieved when I got out.:agree:

....with the p1sh dripping down onto your head from the guys that did a slash up at the back of the terracing.......
:jamboak:

jgl07
04-10-2013, 03:12 PM
The question was first purpose built all seater. If so, McDiarmiad Park, as it was the first all seated stadium built from scratch.

Kilbowie became all-seated in 1977, one year before Pittodire. However, most of the stadium was uncovered so people stood up anyway, as sitting in the rain on a wooden bench (it always rains in Clydebank) is no fun at all

The only reason it was made all-seater was because it was cheaper to install bench seats than put in new crash barriers.

It was the same with other grounds including behind one goal at Morton.

Coventry were the first English First Division club to go all-seater. Jimmy Hill closed the terraced areas!

neilmartinrocks
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
The only reason it was made all-seater was because it was cheaper to install bench seats than put in new crash barriers.

It was the same with other grounds including behind one goal at Morton.

Coventry were the first English First Division club to go all-seater. Jimmy Hill closed the terraced areas!

Jimmy Hill's a ****.

StevieC
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Jimmy Hill closed the terraced areas!

We know a song about him ... :wink: