PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: Flashback: Peter Marinello

RSS Bot
02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
The story of 'Nello's Hibernian career

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131002/flashback-peter-marinello_2262950_3478784)

Golden Bear
02-10-2013, 04:11 PM
The story of 'Nello's Hibernian career

More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20131002/flashback-peter-marinello_2262950_3478784)

'Nello was a fantastic player and although the article doesn't mention it, I'm sure that he was the first player to be involved in a six figure transfer fee (£100,000) between a Scottish Club and an English Club. I first seen him play in a Hibs jersey at Whitestone Park Peebles when he played for a Hibs Colts team that competed in the East of Scotland League.

I don't honestly recall that he was blessed with "lightening pace" but he was definitely a player who was worth paying the admission money just to watch his fantastic array of skills.

Keith_M
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
'Nello was a fantastic player and although the article doesn't mention it, I'm sure that he was the first player to be involved in a six figure transfer fee (£100,000) between a Scottish Club and an English Club. I first seen him play in a Hibs jersey at Whitestone Park Peebles when he played for a Hibs Colts team that competed in the East of Scotland League.

I don't honestly recall that he was blessed with "lightening pace" but he was definitely a player who was worth paying the admission money just to watch his fantastic array of skills.

Are you maybe getting mixed up with Colin Stein?

:dunno:

Stein was the first 6 figure transfer between two Scottish clubs.

Golden Bear
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Are you maybe getting mixed up with Colin Stein?

:dunno:

Stein was the first 6 figure transfer between two Scottish clubs.

Don't think so ---------- and yes your are right about Colin Stein

WindyMiller
02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Fantastic player, whilst at Hibs, but succumbed to the "bright lights".

erin go bragh
02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Always thought Des Bremmer was the first at 150.000 ( which was a record at the time)
To Villa from Hibs .

Ggtth

eastterrace
02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
mind first time i saw him was through at raith rovers im sure we were 2-0 and he came on in the second half and changed the game as we got a 2-2 draw out of it. also his finest moment was at ibrox in a 3-1 win hibs and marinello were fantastic that day.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Always thought Des Bremmer was the first at 150.000 ( which was a record at the time)
To Villa from Hibs .

Ggtth

The fee was £149,999, they charged us a penny for Joe Ward, we were vastly overcharged.

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm sure Tommy Craig went from Aberdeen to NewcStle for 100k before Nello.
Both were teenagers.

Ray_
02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
To Villa from Hibs .

Ggtth

Think that one was 270K, 50 of which was Joe Ward. Tommy Craig joined Sheffield Wednesday from the sheep for 100k in 1968, at the time it was a record for a teenager in the UK.

Too late, sorry

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Ps I think Des Bremner was £325,000 including Joe Ward.
Also without checking I think maybe Jim Baxter was sold to either Sunderland or Notts Forest for £100k before Craig.

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry Ray. You are right it was Sheff Wed. Memories playing tricks again.

Ray_
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Ps I think Des Bremner was £325,000 including Joe Ward.
Also without checking I think maybe Jim Baxter was sold to either Sunderland or Notts Forest for £100k before Craig.

Think Baxter was just under 75K, he went from Sunderland to Forest for 100K.

Tom Hart RIP
02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Correct again. Cheers

Ray_
02-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry Ray. You are right it was Sheff Wed. Memories playing tricks again.

I never noticed your deliberate mistake :greengrin, although Newcastle bought Tony Green around 1971 for 150K from Blackpool, what a sickener that was, crocked by Palace's Mel Blyth, with a horror tackle early in season 72/3 and that was his career gone.

Ray_
02-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Correct again. Cheers

If only I could remember what I was doing a couple of hours ago...........:confused:

stu in nottingham
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Think Baxter was just under 75K, he went from Sunderland to Forest for 100K.

About fifty games for Forest then free-transferred back to Rangers, Ray! Not a great piece of business for the Reds but he provided a few thrills, if intermittently.

IberianHibernian
02-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Marinello was a fantastic player for us . I remember when we beat both OF teams in Glasgow within about a month in 1969 ? Interesting that Marinello ( Canonmills ) and Cormack (Logie Green ) grew up so near at about the same time .

stu in nottingham
02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I never noticed your deliberate mistake :greengrin, although Newcastle bought Tony Green around 1971 for 150K from Blackpool, what a sickener that was, crocked by Palace's Mel Blyth, with a horror tackle early in season 72/3 and that was his career gone.

Thoght Tony Green was a terrific player - very skilful - a shame what happened to him. Just read the below on a Newcastle forum:

'For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play. I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining. Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down. The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss. Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal. The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally. The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up. One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.'

Ray_
03-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Thoght Tony Green was a terrific player - very skilful - a shame what happened to him. Just read the below on a Newcastle forum:

'For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play. I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining. Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down. The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss. Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal. The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally. The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up. One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.'

A great read, I remember him being our only bright spark in a Wembley defeat, most likely 1971 & to think poor Albion Rovers only got about 13k for him, a great spot for the Blackpool scout.

HIBERNIAN-0762
03-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Marinello was a fantastic player for us . I remember when we beat both OF teams in Glasgow within about a month in 1969 ? Interesting that Marinello ( Canonmills ) and Cormack (Logie Green ) grew up so near at about the same time .

Both Hearts fans as well at that time.

:rolleyes:

But they saw sense.

:agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
03-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Anyone know where abouts in Cannonmills - I lived in Brandon Terrace as a lad.

Tom Hart RIP
03-10-2013, 10:45 AM
He stayed in Stenhouse just along the road from the Souness family and was pally with Billy. The Marinellos moved to Cannonmills when he was 10 but he continued to go to school at St Joseph's.
He claimed in his book that he only supported Hearts because everyone else in his class did but when he passed his 11 plus he went to St Anthony's and became a Hibs fan for the same reason.

Iggy Pope
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
To Villa from Hibs .

Ggtth

Joe Harper Everton to Hibs for £120k preceded this. Don't tell Doddie though.

Widely reported as a record at the time!

And I quite liked him.

CyberSauzee
03-10-2013, 02:34 PM
He turned up to one of our London Hibs Burns Nights in the William Wallace in Aybrook Street. I'm guessing it was 1999, although the memories are hazy. I do remember Sergey starting a chorus of "Peter Mar-i-nello, what a ****** fellow, nah, nah, nah..."

He wasn't even the guest of honour. Perhaps @Brog can remember who was that year? If I've got the year right?

ancient hibee
03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Willie McFarlane was a customer where I worked.I remember him coming in looking very pleased with himself.When I asked him what was up he said that he had just got Arsenal to pay £100K for Marinello."They're nuts" he said.Turned out he was right.

Ray_
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Willie McFarlane was a customer where I worked.I remember him coming in looking very pleased with himself.When I asked him what was up he said that he had just got Arsenal to pay £100K for Marinello."They're nuts" he said.Turned out he was right.

They got the £100k back from Portsmouth.

Ray_
03-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Joe Harper Everton to Hibs for £120k preceded this. Don't tell Doddie though.

Widely reported as a record at the time!

And I quite liked him.

Tom Hart was interviewed soon afterwards about the fee and he said that the Everton chairman said to him "how do you want to pay" [meaning installments] and Tom hart said he joked "in ten pence pieces", he then said that he then wrote the cheque out for the fill amount, £132,000, he pointed out that the additional 12k was the tax that Hibs were due to pay on the deal.