PDA

View Full Version : Train to Firhill

Franck Le God
02-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Just had a gander at Google maps, seems to be a bit of a hike to the stadium from Partick station. Anyone done it before or is it definitely a taxi job?

dangermouse
02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Just had a gander at Google maps, seems to be a bit of a hike to the stadium from Partick station. Anyone done it before or is it definitely a taxi job?

There are supporters buses going, you could always go on one of them.

Keith_M
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Most people get the Subway to George's Cross Stn then straight up Maryhill Rd from there. It's actually not too far, bout 15 mins walk.

GlesgaeHibby
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Partick Thistle don't play in Partick anymore- they play near Maryhill. Best way would be to get a train to queen street then the subway to Kelvinbridge. It's about a 10/15 min walk from there.

Keith_M
02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
That's because Partick Thistle don't play in Partick anymore. They play in Maryhill. Best way would be to get a train to queen street then the subway to Kelvinbridge. It's about a 10/15 min walk from there.

Don't listen to him, Kelvinbridge is further away and is only for posh people.

Get off at George's Cross with us mere mortals :wink:

Franck Le God
02-10-2013, 12:58 PM
That's because Partick Thistle don't play in Partick anymore. They play in Maryhill. Best way would be to get a train to queen street then the subway to Kelvinbridge. It's about a 10/15 min walk from there.

My bad! Kelvinbridge it is, cheers for the help.

GlesgaeHibby
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Don't listen to him, Kelvinbridge is further away and is only for posh people.

Get off at George's Cross with us mere mortals :wink:

Crackin' wee chinese restaurant just round the corner from St George's cross. Well worth a trip- Asia Style.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Get the bus from Hope Street, just before Sauchiehall Street, IIRC its a no.61.

Dinnae say it was "my bad" if thats the wrong number, phrase gets right on my thrupennies! ;-)

bingo70
02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Not relevant to how to get there but is the game on sky or bt sports on Monday?

TheFamous1875
02-10-2013, 07:24 PM

BT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kris1875
02-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Bt sport mate .

nonshinyfinish
02-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Crackin' wee chinese restaurant just round the corner from St George's cross. Well worth a trip- Asia Style.

Subway to St George's Cross is the best bet, and a massive, massive +1 for Asia Style.

WHAM
02-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Asia Style is very decent.

But if you want proper authentic Chinese the wee basement chinese restaurant just round the corner on west princes st is brilliant.

No English menus in there.

hstn747
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM

But if you want proper authentic Chinese the wee basement chinese restaurant just round the corner on west princes st is brilliant.

Some excellent local knowledge there. My vote would be for the soft shell crab at Asia Style.

You can also get off the train at Charing Cross. It's not that much further to walk.

Zondervan
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Some excellent local knowledge there. My vote would be for the soft shell crab at Asia Style.

You can also get off the train at Charing Cross. It's not that much further to walk.

Charing Cross also links direct with Edinburgh if you take the service via Bathgate/Airdrie. Direct trains home at 2157 and 2227; or 2208 with connection at Queen Street.

NYHibby
03-10-2013, 01:14 PM

The best Chinese restaurant in Glasgow is See Woo, which is also not that far from Firhill. http://www.seewoorestaurant.com/contact

partickthistle
04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Guys,
Buchanan street underground is right next to Queen Street train station. St Georges Cross Underground is only 2 stops away and Firhill stadium is under 10 minutes walk from the underground.

Great to be playing Hibs again its been too long

monktonharp
04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Guys,
Buchanan street underground is right next to Queen Street train station. St Georges Cross Underground is only 2 stops away and Firhill stadium is under 10 minutes walk from the underground.

Great to be playing Hibs again its been too longhas been too long mate, we're gonna pump yez though:greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Guys,

Great to be playing Hibs again its been too long

was just having a look at the train times from Edinburgh to Glasgow (via Bathgate, with no need to get off at queen st) and the train stops at charing cross then partick, is charing cross nearer to the ground then yep ?

nonshinyfinish
04-10-2013, 09:26 PM
was just having a look at the train times from Edinburgh to Glasgow (via Bathgate, with no need to get off at queen st) and the train stops at charing cross then partick, is charing cross nearer to the ground then yep ?

Don't go to Partick - Firhill's not in Partick.

Charing Cross or St Georges Cross subway are not far from the ground.

NYHibby
04-10-2013, 09:29 PM

What is your aversion to changing at Queen Street? As people said above, taking the train to Queen Street via Falkirk High and then taking the subway is the easiest and fastest way, not counting taxis.

As someone who lives in Glasgow, I would not take the route you are thinking about. Charing Cross to the stadium has to be close to a 30 minute walk.

EDIT: I just saw you live in Bathgate. For you, walking from Charing Cross is probably only a couple minutes longer than changing to the subway.

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Don't go to Partick - Firhill's not in Partick.

Charing Cross or St Georges Cross subway are not far from the ground.

well they should be renamed firhill thistle, it confuses older folk :(

What is your aversion to changing at Queen Street? As people said above, taking the train to Queen Street via Falkirk High and taking the subway is the easiest and fastest way, not counting taxis.

As someone who lives in Glasgow, I would not take the route you are thinking about. Charing Cross to the stadium has to be close to a 30 minute walk.

sheer laziness :greengrin but anyway, the route from Bathgate-Glasgow doesn't go anywhere near Falkirk, so if(IF) i go i'l just go the way that has been suggested, although what's the correct walking distance ? you say 30 and someone earlier says 10 ? and one saying st.georges and another charing cross:dunno:

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
What is your aversion to changing at Queen Street? As people said above, taking the train to Queen Street via Falkirk High and then taking the subway is the easiest and fastest way, not counting taxis.

EDIT: I just saw you live in Bathgate. For you, walking from Charing Cross is probably only a couple minutes longer than changing to the subway.

that sounds more appealing ta :)

NYHibby
04-10-2013, 10:01 PM
well they should be renamed firhill thistle, it confuses older folk :(sheer laziness :greengrin but anyway, the route from Bathgate-Glasgow doesn't go anywhere near Falkirk, so if(IF) i go i'l just go the way that has been suggested, although what's the correct walking distance ? you say 30 and someone earlier says 10 ? and one saying st.georges and another charing cross:dunno:

St Georges is the closest subway station. It is not quite a 15 minute walk to the stadium.

Charing Cross is the closest train station for the train from Bathgate. It is about a 30 minute walk.

LancashireHibby
04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Any good boozers near the ground?

monktonharp
04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Munn's Vaults, according to some gadgie that's been roond every club in Scotland( link to PTFC site):rolleyes:

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-10-2013, 08:26 AM
The Edinburgh to Glasgow Central train (Scotrail or SPT) goes direct to Maryhill, about 15 quid return.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
The Edinburgh to Glasgow Central train (Scotrail or SPT) goes direct to Maryhill, about 15 quid return.

The one that goes via Slateford to Central doesnae go anywhere near Maryhill.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
The one that goes via Slateford to Central doesnae go anywhere near Maryhill.

Was at Waverley yesterday mate, board clearly showed Maryhill on the route to GC station.

Dashing Bob S
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Leave it. Jump on a Japanese bullet train to Raith and watch the mighty Rovers instead.

Andy74
05-10-2013, 01:23 PM

It certainly does not!

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Was at Waverley yesterday mate, board clearly showed Maryhill on the route to GC station.

Bellshill aye, Maryhill naw.

Good luck on your travels!

renato
06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
For us transport snobs, what's the best bet re parking near the ground? Our time in the 1st was so long ago I can't remember where I left the car, last time.

Cheers

Keith_M
06-10-2013, 07:34 AM
For us transport snobs, what's the best bet re parking near the ground? Our time in the 1st was so long ago I can't remember where I left the car, last time.

Cheers

Just pick any side street and a young gentleman in a shell suit, trainers and a large scar on his face will offer to watch your car for you.

No problem.

jodjam
06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Just pick any side street and a young gentleman in a shell suit, trainers and a large scar on his face will offer to watch your car for you.

No problem.

Or you can pre book thru their website at

Www.doesyerdugputoutfires.co.uk