PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Eras Vesus "Stickability"

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Was wondering about the e "Stickability" of supporting the team and whether the era you started watching the Hibs made a difference. I figure a matrix would be needed to map if and where people started and stopped going regularly (most/all home games). So please use the comments for fleshing out the details.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
I started in 87 (Miller era) I was in London 94-2003 but attended regularly when I could.
Attendance faded away with the arrival of my son (missed the CIS Cup with his arrival) and found it more difficult to justify the cost. I started to bring him along in the Calderwood era ;( but infrequently (just as well!) but we now have STs and attend every home game.

PeeJay
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Was at ER regularly from the middle of the sixties to the end of the seventies - then I left the country, memories of those times make these times particularly difficult to accept ... now watch regularly through Hibs TV and the Internet (not the same, of course ...)

Falkirk Hibby
01-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Started to go regularly in the late 80's. Had a year away in New Zealand 2000-1 (first game I missed was the 6-2) and got a season ticket from 2002. Moved down to Cambridgeshire in 07, kept the season ticket for a couple of years, but family and cost meant I couldn't justify keeping it on. Now try to get up 4-5 times a season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Started attending regularly with a ST in the mid '80s, I stopped going so often when most of the folk I used to regularly attend with stopped going (around about the Calderwood era). Soccer Saturday had quite a major influence too in all honesty.

I prefer the foreign/down south pre-season/Euro trips these days along with Scotland away games.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Ps thought I'd made the selections public but it would appear that is not the case (to help tie folks selections together) - admins have I missed the boat on this ? Couldn't see an option (via my iPhone) to edit the poll I'm guessing once it's gone it's set in stone... Which is a pity at tying folks selections together was kind key :(

Sherlock Jones
01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Ps thought I'd made the selections public but it would appear that is not the case (to help tie folks selections together) - admins have I missed the boat on this ? Couldn't see an option (via my iPhone) to edit the poll I'm guessing once it's gone it's set in stone... Which is a pity at tying folks selections together was kind key :(

When you click the 'View Poll Results' button you can see who voted for what.

offshorehibby
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Started watching Hibs during the Tornadoes era.

I started travelling away from about 78 onward. Eased up on the away games sort of mid 90's. I probably make about 3/4 away games these days and have a season ticket making maybe about 10 home games due to work.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
When you click the 'View Poll Results' button you can see who voted for what.

Thx Salty I don't see a button - when I click on view poll results (in maroon ;( ) nothing happens. I'll try from a non-Apple device. Maybe just me being thick mind!

edit: got it now just needed to click on the number of votes then expanded.

Hiber-nation
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Whoops got carried away - can someone remove my vote for Famous 5? :doh:

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Whoops got carried away - can someone remove my vote for Famous 5? :doh:
Don't think I able to do that Think that's "aeons" (admins) job ;)

Jonnyboy
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Just learned a valuable lesson. Read the flippin thread title and OP before you vote

I took it that you had to vote for the era in which you first started watching Hibs on a regular basis

:doh:

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Just learned a valuable lesson. Read the flippin thread title and OP before you vote

I took it that you had to vote for the era in which you first started watching Hibs on a regular basis

:doh:

To be fair my grammars' terrible - possibly misled you (and only you ;) ) with the first word ;)

Golden Bear
01-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I started watching pre Tornado era but I suppose i became a regular attender (home and away) in the 1970's.

I'm a lucky guy to have witnessed the fabulous football that the Tornadoes produced and in true old foggy fashion I can definitely confirm that "the standard of fitba' now just ain't what it used to be be."

We're aw doomed I tell ye!

Stantons Angel
01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
I started watching the home games in the early 60's and took in the away games too by the end of 60's.

Never missed a game home or away throughout the Tornadoes era, well you used to go to these games wondering how many goals you were going to see from Hibs in those days.

Followed them through all the post Tornado eras, saw some really poor football with a few cup finals thrown in and have continued to watch them home, away and in Europe when we have qualified. I even went along to the Caribbean to see them play in Trinidad and Tobago!

I have had a season ticket for many years now and am still attending home and away games through the good and bad times.

I must be nuts i know but i support my team through good and bad and am certainly not in it for the glory!!!

Golden Bear
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I started watching the home games in the early 60's and took in the away games too by the end of 60's.

Never missed a game home or away throughout the Tornadoes era, well you used to go to these games wondering how many goals you were going to see from Hibs in those days.

Followed them through all the post Tornado eras, saw some really poor football with a few cup finals thrown in and have continued to watch them home, away and in Europe when we have qualified. I even went along to the Caribbean to see them play in Trinidad and Tobago!

I have had a season ticket for many years now and am still attending home and away games through the good and bad times.

I must be nuts i know but i support my team through good and bad and am certainly not in it for the glory!!!

:agree:

:not worth

I was a regular up until December last year but enough was enough for me and I've only been to a couple of games since then. Once the entertainment picks up I'll be back - over the years I've earned my right to be a bit more choosey.

eastterrace
01-10-2013, 06:18 PM
i started about middle sixties home and away, then through the 70s mostly home but still went to too a fair away games, then end of seventies kinda drifted away, would go to odd big game . then stated going again middle eighties till about early 90s then drifted away again till mcleish was the manager then got a family season ticket for a few years till williamson era then mowbray got me going again and been going ever since but its dreary stuff the now but im older so not much else to do on a saturday afternoon.

H113EE5
01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
'When I was young my daddy took me down to Easter Road and lifted me up high upon his shoulders' and over the turnstyle, in the mid-late 50s :agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

monktonharp
01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
when I started working(15yr old) was when I really got into HFC tornados. still went to loads of games after that, had periods in early 80's when getting overtime work was important, so that went before fitba' as we were bringing bairns up but even through some horrible fitba' times at ER I kept going. I still go and actually go to more aways than I have for years. mad eh? wife seems to think so and my best mates have dropped by the wayside.

Mon Dieu4
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Started watching in the mid to late 80s, basically went whenever my Dad would take me, in 1995 i got a season ticket and have had one ever since, have only missed 3 home games in all that time

down-the-slope
03-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Jonny - nah its just old codger itis.....listen or read half / hear or understand a 1/4 :greengrin

Was leaving out Mixu / Hughes deliberate? (Mixu was only time I stopped going - went to watch double winning u19's that season...the difference in level of entertainment was stark)

Viva_Palmeiras
03-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Jonny - nah its just old codger itis.....listen or read half / hear or understand a 1/4 :greengrin

Was leaving out Mixu / Hughes deliberate? (Mixu was only time I stopped going - went to watch double winning u19's that season...the difference in level of entertainment was stark)

In a word Crap! No.

I inadvertently re-wrote "Hibstory" just to make my stats look good - I didn't attend many games during that period.

Maybe the fact that you've only picked up thus far is either folks are being polite ;) or these eras were best erased. I'm miffed at myself for not including as I think that period is really where the wheels started to come off the cart

greenpaper55
03-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Early sixties until last year for me, even though there was decent ST sales this season i wonder how many fans are staying away, we could have many many more bums on seats.

Scouse Hibee
04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Started attending when we were pretty poor, still attending now and we are still pretty poor................go figure that!