PDA

View Full Version : Bbc

Miguel
30-09-2013, 12:56 AM
I like the BBC. It's up there with the NHS as part of our national life that must be defended, and if you doubt that, imagine living in a country dominated by the likes of Sky and Fox.
But something has to be done about its Scottish operation. The news coverage is embarassing, but sport is a disaster area.
It's not my area of interest, but if I was into rugby, for example, I'd be dismayed at the coverage on offer.
After Cowan, it's time to empty Cosgrove, Chick, the Hearts buffoons, David Currie and all the other usual suspects.
For the resources it enjoys, BBC Scotland serves up an appalling service.
Go and look at somewhere like Central and learn a few things. Time for a change...

Velma Dinkley
30-09-2013, 01:01 AM
The quality of the media and journalism is awful. The newspapers, radio stations etc stopped caring about doing their jobs properly decades ago. They don't know how to survive. If it hadn't been for channel 4 maybe rangers would be top of the SPL today. That's how little the Scottish media cared.

yeezus.
30-09-2013, 07:14 AM
I think Reporting Scotland is absolutely awful. The only reason I watch it is because ITV's "local" news covers York and Newcastle - Stranraer never gets a mention.

Hibrandenburg
30-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I hate the "and other results from the Scottish Premiership" reporting. Gets on my goat every time. There's laws governing equal exposure for political parties, think we should push for the same for football clubs. :0)

number9dream
30-09-2013, 08:09 AM
The quality of the media and journalism is awful. The newspapers, radio stations etc stopped caring about doing their jobs properly decades ago. They don't know how to survive. If it hadn't been for channel 4 maybe rangers would be top of the SPL today. That's how little the Scottish media cared.

Agree that Reporting Scotland is a timid, tin pot show and the Open All Mics gang are terrible but BBC pretty much led from the front with Rangers reporting - although now maybe guilty of running scared after BBC Trust's bizarre ruling that the wee lambs at Ibrox had been treated unfairly.

MrSmith
30-09-2013, 08:22 AM
We do pay for the BBC so, maybe we should just stop paying! 12000 customers can't be wrong! :na na:

Ozyhibby
30-09-2013, 08:44 AM
They have a 73% Market share on news and guaranteed income through a poll tax.
Number of people taken to court each week for owing money to a) BBC? 3,500. b) Wonga? nil.
Why should they change anything.

JimBHibees
30-09-2013, 08:49 AM
The lack of coverage that the Scottish game gets here is shameful, please bin the Saturday night MOTD programme and show highlights of the Scottish league then. On another note I sometimes check the red button coverage on BBC and there is next to no coverage of Scottish football as usual dominated by the most overrated league in the world.

PatHead
30-09-2013, 09:46 AM
The lack of coverage that the Scottish game gets here is shameful, please bin the Saturday night MOTD programme and show highlights of the Scottish league then. On another note I sometimes check the red button coverage on BBC and there is next to no coverage of Scottish football as usual dominated by the most overrated league in the world.

What the Scottish First Division gets all the coverage???????

RecobasUncle
30-09-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24304418

This BBC?

The start is utterly hilarious. Also, here is a section, pretty much copied word for word from about 2:00 in the video.

"in England 6 out of 10 people describe themselves as English, in Wales a similar number"

"in both just 2 out of 10 they British only"

"Does this mean Britishness is dying?"

"I think the figures tell a very different story!"

clerriehibs
30-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Lineker paid £2million per year by the bbc. How much does it put into Scottish football again?

NAE NOOKIE
30-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Ye gods .... where do you start with the BBC's coverage of Scottish Football.

The highlights show on a Sunday night is drab, lacks any sort of dynamism and seems incapable of having guests on who have any personality ... Craig Gordon being a prime example.

The news section on breakfast telly sometimes mentions scores from the night before, but sometimes doesnt ... I dont get that at all.

There is next to no coverage of clubs outside of Celtic and The Rangers on Reporting Glasgow ( sorry Scotland )

The BBC text service is a total disgrace. I can read about a player going from Atletico Madrid to Barcelona, or the fact that some guy who plays for Forest Green Rovers is out for 3 months with a knee injury before I will see anything about any Scottish Club. As for the gossip section ... that apparently only applies to English, Spanish or German clubs ... mentions of any happenings in Scotland are rare as Hens teeth.

The radio coverage, which used to be pretty good is rubbish .... during the ICT v Hibs match on Saturday 70% of the time there was no discription of the play, just the commentator yaking on to Willie Miller who's monotone delivery would put a speed freak to sleep.

The super on line service which meant you could listen to your clubs game no matter who was playing has also sadly bitten the dust.

In fact the only thing which saves the BBC from total failure in the area of Scottish Football is the ALBA coverage, which makes an attempt on an obviously meagre budget to fill its half time slot with interviews and information about the history of the clubs on show.

Its no wonder that a lot of Scottish fans, myself included, can barely name more than a few players from the likes of Ross County, Partick Thistle, Motherwell etc.

What the BBC needs to come up with is a 45 minute or hour long magazine programme on Saturday morning which gives profiles on the clubs.

The clubs history.

Profiles on the players.

Whats happening behind the scenes ...... what are the grounds like, that sort of thing.

What are the fans thinking.

Nobody is going to pretend that the BBC's coverage of the SPFL is going to match up to the likes of Match of the Day ... we just dont have the number of big clubs or glamour players to be able to do that. But I would be willing to bet that they could do a hell of a lot better. I've seen funerals on the news made to look more colourful and exciting than the BBC's coverage of our game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
My complaint over the football coverage is that it comes over as very insular and I would wonder if the content would change much even if no one was listening. OAM is often just who can p*ss the highest.

hibIBZ
03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
The sport coverage from the bbc is appalling. Not just in terms of football. Professional rugby barely gets a mention. Pro basketball in Glasgow regularly attracts crowds of up 1000 people, with Scottish league games for some teams attracting 300. Pro netball in Glasgow is usually a sell out and is barely mentioned in the msm

bingo70
03-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Good thread.

It does my head in when hibs get a good result and I want to go home, get a few beers in and watch the highlights but instead its a foreign league that's on, why not put motd on after sportscene?

Not necessarily BBC's fault but we spend so much time promoting the English leagues and beating up our own leagues then complain nobody is interested in Scottish football! No bloody wonder, we should start trying to promote it and that should start by giving our highlights priority in this country instead of relegating them to Monday night or whenever it is they're on.

lapsedhibee
03-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Good thread.

It does my head in when hibs get a good result and I want to go home, get a few beers in and watch the highlights but instead its a foreign league that's on, why not put motd on after sportscene?

Not necessarily BBC's fault but we spend so much time promoting the English leagues and beating up our own leagues then complain nobody is interested in Scottish football! No bloody wonder, we should start trying to promote it and that should start by giving our highlights priority in this country instead of relegating them to Monday night or whenever it is they're on.

Don't think it's a matter of scheduling - rather a question of the programme being so full of crap it's not worth watching, whatever time it's on.

bingo70
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Don't think it's a matter of scheduling - rather a question of the programme being so full of crap it's not worth watching, whatever time it's on.

Or they could show it and focus on the positives and actually try to promote our game instead of basically encouraging folk to watch the premiership instead.

Bishop Hibee
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
In contrast I decided to watch Scotland Today and was pleasantly surprised. It used to be absosolutely dire but has revamped itself into something actually quite decent for news and sport coverage on a small budget.

BBC Scotland sport is dire and in need of a total overhall.

joe breezy
03-10-2013, 07:58 PM
I love the BBC and agree entirely with the OP

I live in London so don't see much of the Scottish fare - the prospect of losing the BBC it's the one thing that makes me question independence to be honest

That and the Scottish National police force and the backward ways of west central Scotland - so that's 3 things

blackpoolhibs
03-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Has anyone else been disappointed, that so far there's been no mention of big breasted chicks anywhere?

clerriehibs
03-10-2013, 09:05 PM

I live in London so don't see much of the Scottish fare - the prospect of losing the BBC it's the one thing that makes me question independence to be honest

That and the Scottish National police force and the backward ways of west central Scotland - so that's 3 things

Funny that; there's a World BBC Service, so nothing to worry about. The BBC is often as not described as the EBC up here. When Gary Lineker is paid more than is paid to cover Scottish football, something is wrong.

NAE NOOKIE
03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Having had my rant at the BBC .... The fact is that its not just them.

Look at any page on this years ( or any years ) Hibs calendar. You would think that a professional football club would want to present its players against a back drop of exited crowd scenes. I could take 12 pictures for a calendar for any Junior football club and manage to get more folk in the background.

Its all about presentation ..... and we suck at it.

davhibby
03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Sky and BT have some sort of deal that they can only show the games before a Sunday night, but even at that, they don't have their highlights shows untill midweek. The one thing I still don't understand is why we only get 2/3 minutes of highlights when everyone on motd can get about 10

Bronson
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
BBC is supposed to be impartial with it's reporting but it's anything but. Not a fan and sportsound on a saturday is unbareable with that piece of sh*t John Robertson.

seanshow
04-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Personally I haven't watched Sportscene since they were reduced to showing 3 min highlights of each game.......which is probably about 10 years.

Radio - Off the ball is entertaining sometimes and the sunday supplement also.

BBC Scotland never clarified why the stopped the individual game commentary online for the last 2 seasons? shame as open all mike's is dire.
(and they still own exclusive rights to the radio broadcasts, but don't use them) :confused:

I presume it was either -

A BBC money saving exercise.
B decision by the clubs to broadcast commentaries through there own channels.
C More than a coincidence that at the same time sevco were starting at the erse of scottish football.

brog
04-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Slightly off topic but the malaise at BBC Scotland is symptomatic of our whole approach to sport in general & football in particular. I went into the SFA & SPFL websites yesterday to get some info about under age teams & the lack of information is appalling, that is once you somehow manage to navigate to the correct page. Meanwhile as of yesterday our own website was showing our next game as away to ICT. Amateurish doesn't do it justice!

Phil MaGlass
04-10-2013, 08:25 AM

I live in London so don't see much of the Scottish fare - the prospect of losing the BBC it's the one thing that makes me question independence to be honestThat and the Scottish National police force and the backward ways of west central Scotland - so that's 3 things

why on earth do people insist we will lose the BBC in an independent Scotland, I live in Holland we pay for our TV packages, which is about the price of a TV licence in Britain but we get over 50 channels, German, French, Belgian, Spanish, Italian and sports channels and BBC is included, most countries in Europe have access to BBC, Mr Salmond wont do away with the BBC he will make it more accountable, the BBC are 5hitting it because of the amount of paying TV licences they will lose in Scotland as the BBC will have to be part of packages offered by companies like UPC, etc,,,, thats all, why do people insist everything is going to be doom and gloom is beyond me,5hit, if we really want to get into it, even an ex British prime Minister had said he lied to the Scottish people before the last rigged independence vote. He even said it was because of the oil and gas reserves we had, and still people believe the myth that we cant go it alone, beggars belief.

JimBHibees
04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Has anyone else been disappointed, that so far there's been no mention of big breasted chicks anywhere?

The annoying wee bald guy who says "hey, hey, hey". :greengrin

JimBHibees
04-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Good thread.

Completely agree with all of that, Get the Scottish highlights back where they should be and get MOTD after or on Sunday morning.

JimBHibees
04-10-2013, 08:35 AM
why on earth do people insist we will lose the BBC in an independent Scotland, I live in Holland we pay for our TV packages, which is about the price of a TV licence in Britain but we get over 50 channels, German, French, Belgian, Spanish, Italian and sports channels and BBC is included, most countries in Europe have access to BBC, Mr Salmond wont do away with the BBC he will make it more accountable, the BBC are 5hitting it because of the amount of paying TV licences they will lose in Scotland as the BBC will have to be part of packages offered by companies like UPC, etc,,,, thats all, why do people insist everything is going to be doom and gloom is beyond me,5hit, if we really want to get into it, even an ex British prime Minister had said he lied to the Scottish people before the last rigged independence vote. He even said it was because of the oil and gas reserves we had, and still people believe the myth that we cant go it alone, beggars belief.

Who was that as a matter of interest?

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Who was that as a matter of interest?

not a prime minister but an ex chancellor of the Exchequer

SUNDAY, 19 MAY 2013

Former Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer Denis Healey has sensationally admitted that his party hid the true worth of Scotland’s oil in the seventies in order to persuade Scots against voting for home rule.

Speaking to Holyrood magazine (http://www.holyrood.com/2013/05/still-raising-eyebrows/), the former Cabinet Minister said that the current UK government is "worried stiff" that Scots might vote Yes in the 2014 referendum which will mean Westminster losing billions in tax receipts from North Sea oil.

like we never knew that :rolleyes:

matty_f
04-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I wonder whether there's a case to be made that in spending so much on EPL games and showing so little of SPL games, the BBC are breaching competition rules (or something similar).

Since the inception of the EPL and the former SPL, televised games and the surrounding presentation of the games is huge business.

I think it could be argued that the BBC gives English clubs an unfair competitive advantage over their Scottish counterparts due to the disproportionate spend.

green glory
04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
In a couple of years after the latest round if cuts at the BBC, Match of the Day will have a higher budget that BBC Scotland as a whole.

That in a nutshell is the problem with the BBC, and an example of the South east indifference towards Scotland which makes the Union all but dead.

Hibs7
04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
And they have the audacity to put RUGBY ferkin LEAGUE on BBC Scotland on a Saturday afternoon. Either that or shinty.. Who gives two hoots about either of these garbage minority games !!

brog
04-10-2013, 10:26 AM
not a prime minister but an ex chancellor of the Exchequer

SUNDAY, 19 MAY 2013

Former Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer Denis Healey has sensationally admitted that his party hid the true worth of Scotland’s oil in the seventies in order to persuade Scots against voting for home rule.

Speaking to Holyrood magazine (http://www.holyrood.com/2013/05/still-raising-eyebrows/), the former Cabinet Minister said that the current UK government is "worried stiff" that Scots might vote Yes in the 2014 referendum which will mean Westminster losing billions in tax receipts from North Sea oil.

like we never knew that :rolleyes:

Well its hardly an earth shattering statement is it?

“I think we did underplay the value of the oil to the country because of the threat of nationalism but that was mainly down to Thatcher.

JimBHibees
04-10-2013, 10:34 AM

“I think we did underplay the value of the oil to the country because of the threat of nationalism but that was mainly down to Thatcher.

While not an earth shattering statement the implications are appalling IMO. What else are we being lied to about?

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM

i didn't say it was an earth shattering statement did i :confused: someone asked for a source etc

Phil MaGlass
04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
i didn't say it was an earth shattering statement did i :confused: someone asked for a source etc

ta for the source, knew it was somewhere, just couldnae mind who said it.
Knuts have been lying tae us for years and not telling the truth(whits new folk say) and still some folk swally everything thats said.

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
ta for the source, knew it was somewhere, just couldnae mind who said it.
Knuts have been lying tae us for years and not telling the truth(whits new folk say) and still some folk swally everything thats said.

forgot to put link up :)

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7408-labour-party-lied-over-true-worth-of-north-sea-oil-admits-former-chancellor

brog
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Sorry, my comment was intended for Phil MacGlass. I do not think the comment by an ex Chancellor ( not PM ) below is accurately represented by Phil's comment.

Healey comment - I think we did underplay the value of the oil to the country because of the threat of nationalism but that was mainly down to Thatcher.

Phil M comment - Even an ex British prime Minister had said he lied to the Scottish people before the last rigged independence vote.

IIRC after the 1979 vote ( for a devolved assembly, not independence ) was lost ( due to a backbench amendment ) the Nats took their ball away & as a result we had a vote of no confidence, Margaret Thatcher & 18 years of the Tories!
The first act of the incoming Blair government in 1997 was to set up the Scottish & Welsh assemblies. I'm fairly open minded re Independence but despite being born & bred in Edinburgh, as a resident of England I don't get a vote! However we should not rewrite history.
Apologies for going off topic a tad!

Fergus52
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
strongly dislike the BBC just now.

They're going more and more pro-right and are so far up the tories *****.

I've also noticed alot of subtle racism coming from them recently too, their reporting of the woolwich murders being the perfect example

Eyrie
04-10-2013, 06:42 PM
While not an earth shattering statement the implications are appalling IMO. What else are we being lied to about?

The BBC are quick to reassure us that everything will work out well for the Yams.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Thought this thread was going to be about Blackleys Baby Crew when I read the thread title! :-)

blackpoolhibs
04-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Thought this thread was going to be about Blackleys Baby Crew when I read the thread title! :-)

Just spat coffee all over my laptop. :wink:

jdships
04-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I like the BBC. It's up there with the NHS as part of our national life that must be defended, and if you doubt that, imagine living in a country dominated by the likes of Sky and Fox.
But something has to be done about its Scottish operation. The news coverage is embarassing, but sport is a disaster area.
It's not my area of interest, but if I was into rugby, for example, I'd be dismayed at the coverage on offer.
After Cowan, it's time to empty Cosgrove, Chick, the Hearts buffoons, David Currie and all the other usual suspects.
For the resources it enjoys, BBC Scotland serves up an appalling service.
Go and look at somewhere like Central and learn a few things. Time for a change...

Have you watched STV news programmes both local and national ?
They resemble the " Amateur Hour" and that is being unfair to the " Amateur Hour" !!
I find Reporting Scotland has been a lot better in the last year .
BBC on Channel 80 is value for money

Unfortunately the coverage of Scottish sport is abysmal by both channels and wouldn't waste money on SKY .

:aok:

cabbageandribs1875
04-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Sorry, my comment was intended for Phil MacGlass. I do not think the comment by an ex Chancellor ( not PM ) below is accurately represented by Phil's comment.

!

you were not abusive so no need to :greengrin

Glory Lurker
05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Watching Sportscene Results - what does the abbreviation "TSC" mean? Judging by the teams involved it must be the Scottish Cup, but what does the "T" stand for? I take it it's not "Tennents"?

Oh, and now that Wick are out, it's a diddy cup :boo hoo: