PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeeper

hiberactive
29-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Seen the goals from yesterday,Williams was shocking for the first two goals-Do we need a experienced back up goalie to give him competition,maybe he has it too easy??? would have liked us to sign Simonsen before he went to the huns,think it would have made Williams raise his game,as it stands,im not totally convinced.

GreenArmyyy!
29-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Seen the goals from yesterday,Williams was shocking for the first two goals-Do we need a experienced back up goalie to give him competition,maybe he has it too easy??? would have liked us to sign Simonsen before he went to the huns,think it would have made Williams raise his game,as it stands,im not totally convinced.

This place gets worse and worse.

Scouse Hibee
29-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Ben Williams is by far the best keeper we have had for a long time, we've already been through the scenario of having 3 experienced keepers on the books and look how that turned out. Happy to see him remain in the team.

eastterrace
29-09-2013, 02:23 PM

he is the best we have had for a long time ( not to hard considering the pish) but some guys on here have him up with leighton and goram no chance he is good but not much better. its about time we started to get a goalie coming through the ranks from the youth set up, think andy mcneil was the last and even he was average.

J-C
29-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Williams is a decent keeper but is pretty prone to the odd calamitous error every few games, is this due to his concentration or is he getting lackadaisical in his game play, maybe bringing another decent keeper to keep him on his toes would make him better, can't see much wrong with the original post tbh.

Onceinawhile
29-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Thought that was a fairly balanced op and I've thought the same for a wee while too. O certainly wouldn't drop him any time soon.

KeithTheHibby
29-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Sean Murdoch is there, think he has been around a bit and is by no means a youth player. Williams is the best keeper we have had in years. He's going to make mistakes, what keeper doesn't?

bigell
29-09-2013, 07:05 PM
its been said many times before, a midfielder makes a mistake, a def or fwd picks it up, a def makes a mistake a mid or keeper picks up, if a keeper makes a mistake the opposition scores, everyone will make mistakes, give him a break, he saves more than he lets in.

B.H.F.C
29-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Agree that Williams is the best goalie we've had for a while. However, we were talking about this on the way down the road yesterday and all agreed that he is too comfortable in his position. Yep, all goalies make mistakes but Williams knows he's going to be playing week in week out regardless.

erin go bragh
29-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Sean Murdoch is there, think he has been around a bit and is by no means a youth player. Williams is the best keeper we have had in years. He's going to make mistakes, what keeper doesn't?

Cant remember Goram making many mistakes tbh.
Agree that Williams is the best we have had in years , by a country mile .

Ggtth

Billy Whizz
29-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Agree that Williams is the best goalie we've had for a while. However, we were talking about this on the way down the road yesterday and all agreed that he is too comfortable in his position. Yep, all goalies make mistakes but Williams knows he's going to be playing week in week out regardless.

That's a great point, no pressure on his position and team captain as well. Don't think Fenlon has too much faith in Murdoch, as he hardly gets a look in at 1st team level. On the reverse where is the ambition from Murdoch. Is he happy to sit for 2 seasons in a row playing very little 1st team football.

PS has he played many games in the SPL/SPFL

OsloHibs
29-09-2013, 07:29 PM

:applause:

Viva_Palmeiras
29-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Zoff - no wait ...
Buffon - no wait ...
Czech - no wait ...
Zenga - no wait ...
Schmeicel - no wait ...
Leighton - no wait ...
Goram - no wait ...
if defence and keepers didn't make mistakes there wouldn't be the game we know...

B.H.F.C
29-09-2013, 07:41 PM
That's a great point, no pressure on his position and team captain as well. Don't think Fenlon has too much faith in Murdoch, as he hardly gets a look in at 1st team level. On the reverse where is the ambition from Murdoch. Is he happy to sit for 2 seasons in a row playing very little 1st team football.

Just had a quick look at Murdoch's stats and he's played just over 100 games by the age of 27. A fair chunk of them for Forfar.

When you even think of pre season I don't recall him getting much of a run. Might be wrong though

Viva_Palmeiras
29-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Ggtth
His punch-outs could be a bit hit and miss - Skol cup semi iirc... Fell nicely to Mickey ;)

sleeping giant
29-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Ggtth

Let in a 40 odd yarder against European opposition for Hibs . Can't remember what team though. I'm sure that goal stopped us progressing.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Maybe his ambition is to play only for Hibs. But for a broken ankle against Dundee I'd like to think Chris Reid would have got a better crack after waiting patiently for his chance for Hibs works at Heathrow last I heard.

cabbageandribs1875
29-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Let in a 40 odd yarder against European opposition for Hibs . Can't remember what team though. I'm sure that goal stopped us progressing.

FC liege, and no keeper in the history of goalkeeping would have saved it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHS_aIKHVw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHS_aIKHVw) :boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras

FC Liege? Or Anderlecht memory ain't what it used to be - plus the pear cider taking effect ... (Hic!)

Billy Whizz
Just had a quick look at Murdoch's stats and he's played just over 100 games by the age of 27. A fair chunk of them for Forfar.

When you even think of pre season I don't recall him getting much of a run. Might be wrong though

Thought he night have played against Stranraer through the week. Not much preparation for 1st team action if he's required

Iggy Pope
29-09-2013, 07:55 PM

:faf:
Let in?
It was FC Leige and it was a screamer!

Iggy Pope
29-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe his ambition is to play only for Hibs. But for a broken ankle against Dundee I'd like to think Chris Reid would have got a better crack after waiting patiently for his chance for Hibs works at Heathrow last I heard.

Chris Reid was bloody awful when he got his chance and fell to pieces.
A six goal mauling at Motherwell springs to mind.

The Green Goblin
29-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Williams has been great for us, but a little competition for the place in the team would only make him even better.

erin go bragh
29-09-2013, 09:29 PM

Aye right , a 40 yarder that flew in the top corner that No keeper in the world would have saved .

Ggtth

truehibernian
29-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Chris Reid was bloody awful when he got his chance and fell to pieces.
A six goal mauling at Motherwell springs to mind.

He was even worse at juvenile level with Hutchison Vale - he was in the same side as Paul Telfer IIRC and to be honest there were far better players in that side than those pair - however Paul worked his tail off and deserved success through sheer determination to make it.

jae
29-09-2013, 10:42 PM

Sure I watched Chris Reid playing for Scotland schoolboys against England schoolboys whilst getting Hibs Tattoo in Bill Hoopers.

Anybody any idea what year that was (I'm guessing about '84-'86).

Tat was the old crown and football crest. Changed to the "Belhaven" one not long after if I remember correctly

Alex Trager
30-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Just because people say he needs a challenge to up his game doesn't mean we dispute he's the best we've had for years. That's not what is being said. He did make two howlers on Saturday and I personally think he does need a suitable challenge to make him perform better

ronaldo7
30-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Maybe Sean should be allowed to come in and Park the (Venga) Bus:wink: