PDA

View Full Version : Tery Butcher's Interview - "We've got a lot of pace in the team"

The Voice Of Reason
28-09-2013, 08:09 PM
In Butcher's interview he says "We've got a lot of pace in the team".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24185183

Have a look at our starting 11 today, we have NO pace anywhere !!!!!

01 Williams
03 McGivern
04 Hanlon
05 Nelson
16 Stevenson
08 Robertson
10 Craig
20 Taiwo
38 Thomson
14 Collins
24 Heffernan

I have said for long enough now that a lack of pace is our biggest problem - no surprise that a team with a lot of pace (and ability to be fair) give us a real doing !!!!!

Terrible result today (sadly, I think there will be more ahead). :boo hoo:

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 08:14 PM
Pat wouldn't know pace if it ran past him shouting 'beep beep' !

Calderwood never either to be fair, neither did Yogi.

Hibs just don't seem to scout searing pace footballers - don't know why.

The Voice Of Reason
28-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Pat wouldn't know pace if it ran past him shouting 'beep beep' !

Calderwood never either to be fair, neither did Yogi.

Spot on. :agree:

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 08:19 PM
With Thomson and Robertson as our wingers, we were never really going to trouble Inverness at any point. We could still be playing them right now and we'd still be waiting for our first serious chance of the game.

Fergus52
28-09-2013, 08:37 PM
With Thomson and Robertson as our wingers, we were never really going to trouble Inverness at any point. We could still be playing them right now and we'd still be waiting for our first serious chance of the game.

Surely it was Craig playing LM.

Alfred E Newman
28-09-2013, 09:17 PM
The only time we have played with any width since Fenlon came is when Harris came into the side. We will win some and lose some but it is hellish to watch.

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 09:45 PM
In January I'd love Pat to get Nigel Hasselbaink - he's raw, but has a few seasons in the league under his belt - but I really rate the lad, I just think a combination of youth and attitude has held him back - he's literally ripped every side on the SPL a new one though when played correctly.

I think he'd be a superb Hibs player and I think he'd thrive on a bigger fan base getting behind him.

IberianHibernian
28-09-2013, 09:48 PM
The only time we have played with any width since Fenlon came is when Harris came into the side. We will win some and lose some but it is hellish to watch.Matt Done may not have been a great success but his signing suggested PF did realice team lacked pace . Likewise with Zoubir .

Andy74
28-09-2013, 09:48 PM
In January I'd love Pat to get Nigel Hasselbaink - he's raw, but has a few seasons in the league under his belt - but I really rate the lad, I just think a combination of youth and attitude has held him back - he's literally ripped every side on the SPL a new one though when played correctly.

I think he'd be a superb Hibs player and I think he'd thrive on a bigger fan base getting behind him.

He was totally rank against us a few weeks about. Pace but not a footballer.

Andy74
28-09-2013, 09:49 PM
The only time we have played with any width since Fenlon came is when Harris came into the side. We will win some and lose some but it is hellish to watch.

Only the last few weeks haven't been hellish to watch have they ?

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 09:54 PM
He was totally rank against us a few weeks about. Pace but not a footballer.

You base things on one game and only v Hibs mate - my job means I see him more than you and against teams other than Hibs - nice try though Andy.

Andy74
28-09-2013, 09:57 PM
You base things on one game and only v Hibs mate - my job means I see him more than you and against teams other than Hibs - nice try though Andy.

I've seen plenty of him thanks. He's murder.

ballengeich
28-09-2013, 09:57 PM

You've forgotten Alan O'Brien.

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 10:12 PM
You've forgotten Alan O'Brien.

The word 'footballer' let AOB down.

There was a player today who Hibs could have got but didn't, young Aaron Doran - now he's a cracking wee player.

I spoke last year with an Oldham scout(used to play for Arsenal) and he said he'd never heard of Hibs scouting the lower English leagues 'properly' or indeed their reserve leagues - it cemented what I already knew. Our scouting is Lilian Gish.

Alfred E Newman
28-09-2013, 10:16 PM

As I said , we will win some and lose some but the style of play is awful. The first half at Perth was brutal yet we won the game. Just because we won doesn't make it any better to watch.

Love the Green
28-09-2013, 10:22 PM

I would like to see dear old PAT oot the ****in door best place for this nonentityt of a manager..no credentials to even let him near ER.He is taking us down even further than previos managers in the football world.

"ffs keep the faith"

ballengeich
28-09-2013, 10:24 PM

There was a player today who Hibs could have got but didn't, young Aaron Doran - now he's a cracking wee player.

I spoke last year with an Oldham scout(used to play for Arsenal) and he said he'd never heard of Hibs scouting the lower English leagues 'properly' or indeed their reserve leagues - it cemented what I already knew. Our scouting is Lilian Gish.

Your first line is a good response. I agree with you about Nigel Hasselbaink too.

Diclonius
28-09-2013, 11:07 PM

I agree that Hasselbaink would be a good signing but have my doubts that he would be a success, given the trend that players who play well against us for other teams either go on to be **** for us, or were **** for us before we sold them.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2013, 12:59 AM

Oh yes they have, unless you only want to talk about the last month where we have been ****in brilliant. :rolleyes:

Aldo
29-09-2013, 07:30 AM
The word 'footballer' let AOB down. There was a player today who Hibs could have got but didn't, young Aaron Doran - now he's a cracking wee player. I spoke last year with an Oldham scout(used to play for Arsenal) and he said he'd never heard of Hibs scouting the lower English leagues 'properly' or indeed their reserve leagues - it cemented what I already knew. Our scouting is Lilian Gish.

If this is true then we are missing out on some very good players. An example being Clayton Donaldson. Never given a chance and he's doing pretty well for himself.

There are also players in the conference that could prob do a job but cos he plays there he is dismissed. I am sure Sergey mentioned this about lower league players a while back.

Look at the ICT team... Mackay and a few others are from the lower leagues in England.

The Voice Of Reason
29-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I've seen plenty of him thanks. He's murder.

Says the man who saw plenty of Edwin De Graaf and still insisted that he was a good player right to the bitter end!

Hilarious!

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-09-2013, 10:24 AM
If you don't have pace, you need players comfortable on the ball who can pass it to each other, but that is almost a continental style of football where you have to make sure that you don't run out of energy in the heat. In this country, the game is all about tempo and playing at a high tempo.

NAE NOOKIE
29-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Pace is important and there is no doubt a lack of it is hurting us.

But some of the best players I have ever seen were slower than a wet week.

Ryan69
29-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Says the man who saw plenty of Edwin De Graaf and still insisted that he was a good player right to the bitter end!

Hilarious!

De Graaf was a strange one...as was very good in eredivisie when we signed him.
I asked enough Ajax fans and even ex playera...never had a bad report about him.

When he came to us though...he was murder.

rcarter1
29-09-2013, 11:06 AM
If you don't have pace, you need players comfortable on the ball who can pass it to each other, but that is almost a continental style of football where you have to make sure that you don't run out of energy in the heat. In this country, the game is all about tempo and playing at a high tempo.

Agree. Our only chance yesterday was to try and pass our way from defence. It needs a lot of movement and players looking for the ball. Any hoofing is just asking for them to recover the ball and put us under pressure, particularly as Collins and Heff are not going to win a lot of aerial battles. There has been signs that we are trying to pass more, I suspect the quality of ICT threw us a bit. Hence the reversion to hoofball.

The Voice Of Reason
29-09-2013, 11:09 AM
De Graaf was a strange one...as was very good in eredivisie when we signed him.
I asked enough Ajax fans and even ex playera...never had a bad report about him.

When he came to us though...he was murder.

Agreed, he was murder and everyone (apart from Andy74) could see that !!!!!

So when he says that Hasselbank is "murder" we can be forgiven for taking it with a massive pinch of salt! :aok:

Oh Andy..........

number9dream
29-09-2013, 02:04 PM

I repeatedly mentioned the availability of Doran towards the end of last season. A really smart player who was tied at the top of the assists chart with Commons. But Fenlon opted to expand his collection of central midfielders with OTJ instead.