PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

jiggerman
28-09-2013, 06:00 PM
lets just get some folks!

bad day today no doubt, but can Pat be blamed for a defensive calamity like the one reported today? Its pretty hard for ANY team in the league to pick up points there with the way they are playing, so giving them a head start gives us a mountain to climb.

i think we had the second or third best defence before today. if Pat can get us a couple of results against Partick and Celtic, that's one defeat in nine.

admittedly, if we lose both and play horrendously I'll be gutted, but lets not lose the plot because we lost away to the league leaders!

erskine-hibby
28-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Nope, not good enough in any way for me. It's not just the fact that we lost (this game) it's the overall way we have been playing, and mostly losing, under Fenlon. That's it from my perspective.

Fergus52
28-09-2013, 06:11 PM

bad day today no doubt, but can Pat be blamed for a defensive calamity like the one reported today? Its pretty hard for ANY team in the league to pick up points there with the way they are playing, so giving them a head start gives us a mountain to climb.

i think we had the second or third best defence before today. if Pat can get us a couple of results against Partick and Celtic, that's one defeat in nine.

admittedly, if we lose both and play horrendously I'll be gutted, but lets not lose the plot because we lost away to the league leaders!

Stop with the logic.

We've just been beaten, you have to proclaim how bad all of our players are and how fenlon and Petrie are satan and the antichrist, until we next win when we are allowed to be happy/content again (for a week at least)

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 06:11 PM
We heard all the same excuses last season.

Every bad defeat was a 'bad day at the office'. It eventually became clear these 'bad days at the office' were happening with worrying frequency.

And this definitely happened because i was one of the most frequent users of said excuse.

Emerald
28-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Not one shot on target in 90 minutes! We are Hibs playing Inverness it wasn't Barcelona, that's my perspective. That statistic alone says everything about Fenlon for me. He brings in an exciting player who can obviously create chances and give a bit of entertainment but waits until we are 3 nil down before he gets on. I've no idea if it would have made any difference but you can tell he was thinking negative with this decision alone. He is scared to have Hibs impose themselves on a game because our defence is so poor it could be a barrow load if he did and got it wrong. 2 years on and we can't get a shot on target in 90 minutes, again perspective.

Hainan Hibs
28-09-2013, 06:16 PM
You really have to wonder what has went wrong when hardly any teams get points at Inverness. Deary me.

Hiber-nation
28-09-2013, 06:17 PM

We've shipped 6 goals in 2 games, 5 of which were completely avoidable by all accounts. Fenlon signed Michael Nelson so he is culpable.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 06:19 PM
It's not the losing that bothers me, as I really didn't expect us to get a result today. But it's the lack of spirit in the team. The team would have been as well just not turning up today, because they offered nothing, literally. And we always seem to lose games in the same fashion. Even when we get results, you still feel that something is clearly lacking throughout the team, something that's been a miss for quite a number of seasons now.

We sign players that are generally quite good on paper. But when put together, something just isn't right. Things just don't seem to come together in the way that we expect it to.

But it's the lack of spirit in these games that hurts the most.

jiggerman
28-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, none right or wrong.

I am hanging my hat on the fact that 1 defeat in 7 is a sign of improvement. I know we will lose games in the future but, in my view, if we win more than we lose (ultimately taking us to cup finals heaven forbid and competitive league position >4th) then I can't realistically be unhappy with that.

I am saying that Fenlon has us on a bit of run, why write-off 6 weeks good work due to one poor result? I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of weeks more.

I KNOW things have been dire prior to this, and I wanted Fenlon out and never saw an unbeaten an run coming (did anyone?) but it has come in the nick of time for him in my view.

I'll revisit my opinion in a few weeks from now as I don't think one defeat after a good run justifies rash reactions!

Just don't ask me after we have been beaten by the Jags and Celtic! :greengrin

eastterrace
28-09-2013, 06:22 PM
You really have to wonder what has went wrong when hardly any teams get points at Inverness. Deary me.

its not the losing its the way we lose , other teams go up there and get beat but they make a game of it, even hearts young warriors ( thats what they were called in the papers today ) made them work for there points

Beefster
28-09-2013, 06:23 PM
if Pat can get us a couple of results against Partick and Celtic, that's one defeat in nine.

For some reason that made me chuckle. If we go unbeaten until the end of the season, we might win the league and both cups.

Beefster
28-09-2013, 06:25 PM

I thought that, if Thomson was playing, you wanted Hibs to lose anyway?

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 06:27 PM
its not the losing its the way we lose

:agree:

I've said it myself countless times. Theres "losing" and theres "losing badly". When we lose, we always lose in the worst possible fashion.

Not because we were outclassed by a team that just happened to be better on the day, but because we just didn't turn up or look like we were up for the challenge.

Emerald
28-09-2013, 06:33 PM
its not the losing its the way we lose , other teams go up there and get beat but they make a game of it, even hearts young warriors ( thats what they were called in the papers today ) made them work for there points

I wasn't there so have only the radio commentary to go by and we all know how the BBC are with Hibs. However, if the reports are accurate then I agree with your points, there is getting beat whilst competing and trying to win and there is going through the motions hoping it may work out without trying to win it. Like the Celtic cup final where we were only there to make up the numbers and didn't compete, the same seems to be true of today. Too scared to have a go should never be the way for Hibs against Inverness, even if they are on a good run, its a 'match' between two teams who should be trying to win it. We try to bore them out of the points.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 06:35 PM
I see Derby have just sacked Nigel Clough.

That was a manager given a lot of time in the hope it might get better despite evidence to the contrary. Sometimes giving time in the hope it will be an Alex Ferguson situation is folly.

allmodcons
28-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Not one shot on target in 90 minutes! We are Hibs playing Inverness it wasn't Barcelona, that's my perspective. That statistic alone says everything about Fenlon for me. He brings in an exciting player who can obviously create chances and give a bit of entertainment but waits until we are 3 nil down before he gets on. I've no idea if it would have made any difference but you can tell he was thinking negative with this decision alone. He is scared to have Hibs impose themselves on a game because our defence is so poor it could be a barrow load if he did and got it wrong. 2 years on and we can't get a shot on target in 90 minutes, again perspective.

You obviously weren't at the match. It was 1v0 when PF asked Zoubir to get stripped. He was (genuinely) getting stripped when Inverness went up 2v0 and only made it on to the field of play when they went up 3v0. We were down 1v0 when PF asked Zoubir to get stripped. In complete contrast to what you say, PF was looking to make a positive change at 1v0.

allmodcons
28-09-2013, 06:40 PM
FWIW, this was a fairly even contest until ICT went up 2v0. First goal was a howler and second completely knocked stuffing out of us.

Diclonius
28-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Losing 3-0 to Inverness CT, under any circumstances, is not good enough for a club like Hibs.

Simple as that.

JimBHibees
28-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Bottom line is we shouldnt be losing 3-0 to any team in this league apart from Celtc. To go up there on the back of a decent run and meekly roll over isnt good enough. We continue to be a soft touch when it matters.

Jonnyboy
28-09-2013, 06:43 PM

That was a manager given a lot of time in the hope it might get better despite evidence to the contrary. Sometimes giving time in the hope it will be an Alex Ferguson situation is folly.

Must be their AGM this week :wink:

Beefster
28-09-2013, 06:45 PM

Aye but it worked once twenty four years ago.

Sudds_1
28-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Nope, not good enough in any way for me. It's not just the fact that we lost (this game) it's the overall way we have been playing, and mostly losing, under Fenlon. That's it from my perspective.

My view too.........trouble is, express that view too loudly on here and some round on you. :rolleyes:

GreenArmyyy!
28-09-2013, 06:47 PM

Every bad defeat was a 'bad day at the office'. It eventually became clear these 'bad days at the office' were happening with worrying frequency.

And this definitely happened because i was one of the most frequent users of said excuse.

1 in 7. I can deal with that over the course of a season.

Sudds_1
28-09-2013, 06:47 PM
You obviously weren't at the match. It was 1v0 when PF asked Zoubir to get stripped. He was (genuinely) getting stripped when Inverness went up 2v0 and only made it on to the field of play when they went up 3v0. We were down 1v0 when PF asked Zoubir to get stripped. In complete contrast to what you say, PF was looking to make a positive change at 1v0.

PF said in interview tonight the players showed no desire...............

........so. Why? Are they playing for the manager or not?

GreenArmyyy!
28-09-2013, 06:48 PM
PF said in interview tonight the players showed no desire...............

........so. Why? Are they playing for the manager or not?

Ridiculous question after the results and the way we've played in recent weeks.

Jonnyboy
28-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Ridiculous question after the results and the way we've played in recent weeks.

I disagree. It's valid because it relates to a particular game, not previous results

Beefster
28-09-2013, 06:49 PM

If it's over the course of a season, why are you only counting the last seven games? What about the four before that?

Sergey
28-09-2013, 06:50 PM
FFS - there's no amount of wrist-slitting about to take place after a customary defeat at ICT - a team who happen to sit atop of the league.

We're sitting 5th - eight points off the top of the league and a whopping 18 points ahead of the 'Poppy Thieves' - it's our first loss in six (and we were 3/1 to win today at the bookies) - I don't think it's time to hit the alarm bell quite yet.

Emerald
28-09-2013, 06:50 PM

My last game was Ross County so I've not seen the revival in the last two weeks as I've been away. I'm happy to eat humble pie on your comments though as I wasn't there today. It doesn't alter my thoughts though as they were struggling to create chances but waited ages to change it. Again it may have made no difference anyway but must have been worth trying before things got worse at an earlier stage than he did.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Lets remember 1 of those games was against a 2nd division side, 1 was a scrappy draw v Dundee United and 1 was up there with the worst performances i have ever seen v ross County.

There were certainly positive to take from the 6 games but it was hardly Barcelonaesque.

Sudds_1
28-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Ridiculous question after the results and the way we've played in recent weeks.#

Why is it ridiculous? unbeaten run........going up to ICT with at least some confidence.......then that happens and PF even acknowledges it.

So........his job to tee them up, get them ready for the fight. And they don't respond......no desire, Pats words not mine.

Why?

erin go bragh
28-09-2013, 07:06 PM
At the end of the day we have took 6pts from 3 tricky away games (Killie ,St Johnstone ,ICT ) we just seem to play single fish up in the highlands .
Lets try and get back to back wins at the Leith San Siro next saturday against Thistle ..

Ggtth

hibeerealist
28-09-2013, 07:18 PM
So we were "only 1 nil down" when PF decided to throw on Zouby but it was 3 0 nil just as he got on!!! WHATS WRONG WITH A HIBS MANAGER DECIDING TO DO THIS AT HALF TIME (ESPECIALLY AFTER THE FIST HALF PERFORMANCE) AND SHOW SOME DESIR TO WIN THE GAME AND GIVE THE OPPOSITION SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT????!!! Poor Pat has just been "unlucky again" - NO he has not, the job is beyond him and he is like a rabbit caught in the headlights when forced to make decisions during a match. We might just get another few results throughout the season BUT NOBODY CAN SURELY SAY THEY ARE CONFIDENT IN PF PRODUCING A WINNING (REGULARLY). STOP TRYING TO JUSTIFY HIS INABILITY TO DO THE JOB.

Bostonhibby
28-09-2013, 07:22 PM

:agree: Lines are well blurred between bad day at the office and business as usual. Its why we get so excited when we squeeze in the odd couple of wins in a row.

I am going to swing for someone if I hear the line about gelling and needing time to gel again - how long does it take FFS?, and why does it seem to take us forever, we keep wheeling it out, is there a magical moment when the jelly is set or will we forever be runny some days and blacmange like solid others?

Commentator today said Inverness had a few changes but they had gelled quicker - is it because its colder up there?

I actually think that there's a real risk this is how it's going to be in the league for a very long time. The others ain't going to wait for us to set. Aberdeen and Dundee utd have improved farther than us in a shorter space of time. We are soft touches for Inverness and Motherwell in recent years (bar 1 result at Motherwell) Ross County have acquired the same sort of status as Inverness as far as we are concerned.

St Johnstone might be somewhere around where we are at but if St Mirren and Killie weren't on the decline this season we'd be in a worse place, these are the teams we will tend to beat, until they improve.

The yam have the breaks against us and we really should be beating them more but we don't and there's always an excuse - the one that rammed it home to me was this year at tiny, there weren't many major game turning decisions for them, we should have won and were awful. A half arsed explanation was offered up, and we carried on.

The potential is there for us to go on another recurring slide now that we have had a wee burst against the "easier" teams and some harder games coming up. We have better players and fans than that so why is it?

It feels motivational and tactical to me, substitutions at a time where they are unlikley to make a difference, the Right back position, OTJ - what's happened.................I remain supportive of Fenlon and will be sticking with it until we have played all the sides once and I can see where we are but there are too many bad days at the office.

erskine-hibby
28-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I've heard it said by a few on here that Zouby is more of an impact player, so should be left on the bench and brought on later to give the team a lift. Normally I may agree with that, except the way we are playing would it not be better to try and get off to a flying start, rather than wait till the game is, to all intents and purposes, over?

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I've heard it said by a few on here that Zouby is more of an impact player, so should be left on the bench and brought on later to give the team a lift. Normally I may agree with that, except the way we are playing would it not be better to try and get off to a flying start, rather than wait till the game is, to all intents and purposes, over?

Its all down to grinding out results, we went a few games unbeaten by keeping everything tight and grinding out results.

Going for teams, attacking and making things happen is alien to the way Fenlon thinks. Its just not his way, and never will be.

Even today when he comes out and tells us we lacked desire, he waited until we were 1 down before he even thought about doing something about it.

erskine-hibby
28-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Its all down to grinding out results, we went a few games unbeaten by keeping everything tight and grinding out results.

Going for teams, attacking and making things happen is alien to the way Fenlon thinks. Its just not his way, and never will be.

Even today when he comes out and tells us we lacked desire, he waited until we were 1 down before he even thought about doing something about it.

Grinding out defeats more like.
What a cr@p philosophy.

weonlywon6-2
28-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Losing 3-0 to Inverness CT, under any circumstances, is not good enough for a club like Hibs.
Simple as that.

Id be careful.i tried to say this on another thread but was shot down cause caley are top of the league and playing well......yeah i know that but we should have done better

weonlywon6-2
28-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Simple as that.

Id be careful.i tried to say this on another thread but was shot down cause caley are top of the league and playing well......yeah i know that but we shoilf have done better

Baldy Foghorn
28-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Perspective? We were woeful Today, don't recall a shot on target, made ICT look good, gave away soft goals, and looked a yard off the pace.....Not a happy camper, and was really unhappy watching that..........

eastterrace
28-09-2013, 08:21 PM
At the end of the day we have took 6pts from 3 tricky away games (Killie ,St Johnstone ,ICT ) we just seem to play single fish up in the highlands .
Lets try and get back to back wins at the Leith San Siro next saturday against Thistle ..

Ggtth

we are away to thistle and its on the monday night

Andy74
28-09-2013, 08:27 PM

I can tell you haven't been to a game in a few weeks.

erin go bragh
28-09-2013, 09:10 PM
we are away to thistle and its on the monday night

Well lets make it 3 away wins out of 4 then .

Ggtth

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Perspective? We were woeful Today, don't recall a shot on target, made ICT look good, gave away soft goals, and looked a yard off the pace.....Not a happy camper, and was really unhappy watching that..........

Hats off to you for still going to away games.

Celtic away at the end of last season was enough for me. The i went to Tynecastle this season.......

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2013, 12:56 AM
I can tell you haven't been to a game in a few weeks.

And i wont be fora ****in long time eirther, but you will tell me just how fantastic we have plated and how we are the new Barcelona of the SPFL just as soon as you are back from the pub.

Nailrod
29-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Simple as that.Well we ought to be used to it by now. Over the past two season (11-12 and 12-13) we've won six games in 38 goes (including the two finals) against the teams who finished the season in the top 6.

Hibrandenburg
29-09-2013, 08:04 AM

Simple as that.

What an absolutely ridiculous post. ICT are top of the SPL and deservedly so. They're a good outfit who turned us over on their own turf.

Credit where credits due eh!

Saorsa
29-09-2013, 08:11 AM
What an absolutely ridiculous post. ICT are top of the SPL and deservedly so. They're a good outfit who turned us over on their own turf.

Credit where credits due eh!It's no really about how good they are, it's about how bad we are and how far we have fallen and who is responsible for it. They may well be top of the league on merit but you have tae ask yersel how a small club from the highlands with so much less than we have can achieve results/performances so much better than we do. In terms of Scottish fitba we are one of the bigger clubs yet for years we have been miles away from some of these small clubs in terms of results and performances and miles away from resembling anything like one of Scotland's bigger teams who apparently spend mair money than just about anybody else. If it isnae about money & resources then there's another serious problem at this club. Whatever it is, it simply isnae good enough.

HH81
29-09-2013, 08:23 AM
It's no really about how good they are, it's about how bad we are and how far we have fallen and who is responsible for it. They may well be top of the league on merit but you have tae ask yersel how a small club from the highlands with so much less than we have can achieve results/performances so much better than we do. In terms of Scottish fitba we are one of the bigger clubs yet for years we have been miles away from some of these small clubs in terms of results and performances and miles away from resembling anything like one of Scotland's bigger teams who apparently spend mair money than just about anybody else. If it isnae about money & resources then there's another serious problem at this club. Whatever it is, it simply isnae good enough.

Good post DD.

Captain Trips
29-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Perspective progress whatever, the manager has had 2yrs in the job and by this juncture we should be going to ICT and giving them a match regardless if they are in form. We don't really even have any form and never do under PF its a disjointed mess still.

ICT are certainly in form but the bottom line is it is ICT we should be in a position by now to give them a game even losing out by the odd goal but 3-0, no not for me.

J-C
29-09-2013, 08:42 AM
My perspective is we have a manager unable to set a team up or even motivate that said team, he seems incapable of realising our faults and then dealing with them. 2 years down the line we still look disjointed and unmotivated, big games we disappear once again, why?

Just_Jimmy
29-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Another big game. Another example of pat fenlon and hibs found wanting.

Not

Good

Enough!

GreenCastle
29-09-2013, 08:47 AM
It's no really about how good they are, it's about how bad we are and how far we have fallen and who is responsible for it. They may well be top of the league on merit but you have tae ask yersel how a small club from the highlands with so much less than we have can achieve results/performances so much better than we do. In terms of Scottish fitba we are one of the bigger clubs yet for years we have been miles away from some of these small clubs in terms of results and performances and miles away from resembling anything like one of Scotland's bigger teams who apparently spend mair money than just about anybody else. If it isnae about money & resources then there's another serious problem at this club. Whatever it is, it simply isnae good enough.

:aok:

The same old chat / cliches are rolled out after a poor performance....Lack of desire / slow start / lucky breaks / tried to keep it tight

We have been shocking now in many 1st half performances for a while now - this is a reoccurring theme.

As a coach / manager - you can set your team up to be tight and worry about the opposition or you can be a little adventurous and think about how you plan to WIN the game. As we know it seems Fenlon is constantly setting up to be tight and try nick a goal on the counter.

I would love to see the stats for how many shots on goal we have had in each game this season - must surely be one of the lowest in the SPL.

We don't need to over analyse this - it's quite simple - if you don't have proper defenders - you will concede goals. If you have a lack of creativity you will struggle to make opportunities. If you are so concerned about getting beat - you will forget how to go out and win - players mentalities will change and they will play with less freedom.

As Dan said above - there still lies a deeper problem - again simply why are other lower resourced teams achieving more than us right now - must surely be to do with the people running the show behind the scenes and those managing the players as they get the best out of what they have.

We don't....and haven't been for a while = VERY FRUSTRATED FANS...Jekyll and Hyde performances and HIBS.NET being hot and cold each week!

Hibby 2005
29-09-2013, 08:59 AM
If you look at our recent unbeaten run (before yesterday) we picked up points against bottom 6 teams. We know Fenlon can do this. What we also know is that against the top 6 teams Fenlon struggles. It's not rocket science and the next run of games against the likes of Aberdeen, Celtic etc. will see us back down the table where we'll stay until the likes of Killie and St. Mirren come along again.

Hibs7
29-09-2013, 09:03 AM
As I said after we shipped 3 goals against Stranraer ... Our defence is garbage and the keeper is not as good as some people make out... I also think he should not be captain it should be an outfield player.. As for perspective ... The Rangers beat Stranraer 8-0 yesterday . !!!!

GreenCastle
29-09-2013, 09:13 AM
As I said after we shipped 3 goals against Stranraer ... Our defence is garbage and the keeper is not as good as some people make out... I also think he should not be captain it should be an outfield player.. As for perspective ... The Rangers beat Stranraer 8-0 yesterday . !!!!

It was Stenhousemuir :wink:

A solid defense does help - I would like to see us having a natural right back - a natural left back and McGivern alongside Hanlon at CH.

Williams is our best keeper we have had for a while and isn't perfect (poor on crossed balls) but is much better than previous years - but we are now pinning our hopes on Maybury (who was given lots of abuse on here last year and would probably been released if he wasn't doing his UEFA A license - however has done very well this season) and McPake - can't remember the last good game he played?

If we are trying to play a tight game at least have a solid defence -since we don't we may as well go all out attack and at least the fans would come away from the game saying we gave it a go and were entertained.

Hibs7
29-09-2013, 09:16 AM
It was Stenhousemuir :wink:

A solid defense does help - I would like to see us having a natural right back - a natural left back and McGivern alongside Hanlon at CH.

Williams is our best keeper we have had for a while and isn't perfect (poor on crossed balls) but is much better than previous years - but we are now pinning our hopes on Maybury (who was given lots of abuse on here last year and would probably been released if he wasn't doing his UEFA A license - however has done very well this season) and McPake - can't remember the last good game he played?

If we are trying to play a tight game at least have a solid defence -since we don't we may as well go all out attack and at least the fans would come away from the game saying we gave it a go and were entertained.

Ooops still trying to focus after a hangover :-)

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2013, 09:55 AM
The only way to sum up Fenlon since day 1 of him arriving is he's too cautious. His teams are set up to scrape wins rather than go out and go for teams.

And in playing this way his teams rarely get the wins anyway.

Fenlons philosophy is boring, and lets be honest here he's not going to change it. You have to question why he was appointed in the first place, why someone who is so negative in his approach to the game was even given an interview is beyond me.

Although we all know who appointed him.:rolleyes:

Onion
29-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Yesterday and the previous 6 weeks changes nothing. A little unbeaten run against some very poor sides and many Hibs fans start to fink this is the start if something new. Sadly, Denlon and Petrie are still in charge, so we'll get more of the same until they are gone.

IndieHibby
29-09-2013, 10:02 AM
FFS - there's no amount of wrist-slitting about to take place after a customary defeat at ICT - a team who happen to sit atop of the league.

We're sitting 5th - eight points off the top of the league and a whopping 18 points ahead of the 'Poppy Thieves' - it's our first loss in six (and we were 3/1 to win today at the bookies) - I don't think it's time to hit the alarm bell quite yet.

Bump

offshorehibby
29-09-2013, 10:34 AM
This unbeaten run is a bit of a smoke screen, honestly we've not relay been that great on this 'unbeaten run'. A couple of decent second halves that's about it. Yesterday should have been a test to see if we have improved. ICT are rightly so top of the league and i wasn't honestly expecting a win up there. If you had given me a draw before the game i would have bit your hand off.

If we'd competed and put in a performance and got beat i could have accepted that but we lost in usual lack lustre way.

As said previously i think we have brought in some decent players but something still isn't right.

Hibercelona
29-09-2013, 10:41 AM
This unbeaten run is a bit of a smoke screen, honestly we've not relay been that great on this 'unbeaten run'. A couple of decent second halves that's about it. Yesterday should have been a test to see if we have improved. ICT are rightly so top of the league and i wasn't honestly expecting a win up there. If you had given me a draw before the game i would have bit your hand off.

If we'd competed and put in a performance and got beat i could have accepted that but we lost in usual lack lustre way.

As said previously i think we have brought in some decent players but something still isn't right.

:agree:

Even although ICT have a solid defence, they didn't need bother playing their defenders yesterday, as they really had nothing to defend.

As for their 3 goals, we'd have been as well scoring them for them, because that's how easy they came.

For those saying ICT won yesterday because of their league position. No they never. Because they didn't need to play like a top of the league team yesterday.

rcarter1
29-09-2013, 11:23 AM

For sure, against any team with strong running and a bit of pace we are very vulnerable. Hence Malmo and ICT results. We just cant keep up with their running, and not surprising revert to lumping up the park. Its a shame, as most of our players are top 6 standard, but need a few nippy guys in amongst them to play off. Good sides often have a few slow coaches in the team but they are able to stroll about and release your fast guys down the channels of over the top. Till we get a few of those we are toothless against sides that outrun us. But I think it would only take a couple of players to give us this outlet, and drastically improve things.

Keith_M
29-09-2013, 11:40 AM

There's lies, damned lies then there are statistics. I can quite happily agree with the rest of your points but the truth is that we've accumulated three points more than Hearts have so far this season.

I'm not knocking that in any way but this thread is titled 'perspective'.

Hibby 2005
29-09-2013, 12:02 PM
For sure, against any team with strong running and a bit of pace we are very vulnerable. Hence Malmo and ICT results. We just cant keep up with their running, and not surprising revert to lumping up the park. Its a shame, as most of our players are top 6 standard, but need a few nippy guys in amongst them to play off. Good sides often have a few slow coaches in the team but they are able to stroll about and release your fast guys down the channels of over the top. Till we get a few of those we are toothless against sides that outrun us. But I think it would only take a couple of players to give us this outlet, and drastically improve things.

You're assuming of course that Fenlon would play the "nippy" guys if he had them. Then, assuming he did have them and played them you would also have to assume they would be played in their correct positions with instructions to hit the byeline, something alien to Fenlon's general approach.

Liberal Hibby
29-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Aach let's bring back Calderwood at least he knew how to beat Inverness.

rcarter1
29-09-2013, 03:06 PM
You're assuming of course that Fenlon would play the "nippy" guys if he had them. Then, assuming he did have them and played them you would also have to assume they would be played in their correct positions with instructions to hit the byeline, something alien to Fenlon's general approach.

I agree that Pat hasn't shown much inclination to build pace into the squad. Perhaps he has tried, but failed to bring these types of players in. Maybe he doesn't think pace is necessary. In this league, I cant see us doing any better than 5th (at the very best), without some nippiness. The next 5 league games could see us pick up very few points, and its a long time before the transfer window..... :sairhead: