PDA

View Full Version : NHC Tam Cowan on Women's Football

Pages : [1] 2

R'Albin
28-09-2013, 08:35 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-fir-park-should-2314034 - Sorry for the Daily Record link.

I get that, by posting this, I'm just feeding his attention whoring even more. I just can't quite round what a ****ing moron this man is.

IF I had my way, today’s Premiership fixture between Motherwell and Ross County would have been cancelled.

That’s because Fir Park should have been torched on Thursday in order to cleanse the stadium after it played host to women’s football. Why do they still persevere with this turgid spectacle? And why was it allowed anywhere near Motherwell’s hallowed turf?

Admittedly, I’ve not seen a lot of women’s football - just a few little snatches - and I’m not having a pop at the people taking part. Just the other week, I bumped into a couple of women footballers (I’ve still got the bruises to prove it) and they were honestly two of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met.

But no amount of politically correct claptrap could force me to say I enjoyed a single second of that guff at Fir Park on Thursday night. And those of you who disagree must be telling porkies. Quite frankly – and at the risk of getting a slap from my old pal – I found it about as aesthetically pleasing as Joan Burnie’s full frontal pic in yesterday’s paper.

BBC Alba must be scraping the bottom of the barrel if they’re now broadcasting this tosh live. Aye, give me an hour of some dreary Highlander reciting poems about the fishing industry – in Gaelic – any day of the week. Incredibly, the game was live on telly AND radio! I can only imagine they were looking for the pundits to swell the crowd (if "crowd" isn’t too strong a word).

I initially assumed it was a closed-doors game. I haven’t seen Fir Park so quiet since Harri Kampman was in the dugout. If women’s football is so good, where the hell are all the supporters? Surely even the most fervent fans must agree it’s time to chuck it? Face it, folks, nobody cares about women’s football. There was barely a thousand inside the ground, shocking for an international in ANY sport, and I guess putting the girlies head-to-head with Emmerdale and Eastenders was a bit daft.

For anyone remotely interested, Scotland won 7-0 and Bosnia-Herzegovina were utterly dire. I honestly think they’d struggle to take three or four goals off St Mirren. This was a Group 4 game and the Bosnian team looked as if they’d just arrived in one of their vans. Did you see their goalie? She put the baws into Bosnia (although on the off-chance she reads this, I hasten to add I’m only kidding).

All complaints to tam.cowan@dailyrecord.co.uk (but cc in webeditor@dailyrecord.co.uk so we can have a laugh at what you have to tell him...)

Part/Time Supporter
28-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Looks like the Hearts loving fud has wound his neck out too far this time.

By the way, how is his prediction that Hearts would overtake Hibs by October going?

On topic, arrant nonsense. The Scotland women's team will qualify for a tournament (and probably perform quite well when they do) long before the men's team does again. It will be interesting to see the level of coverage and interest when that happens.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2013, 09:30 AM
As predictable as it is pathetic.

ScottB
28-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Probably just bitter that he has bigger t*ts than most of the players...

easty
28-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't see any need for him to belittle it quite so much in a national newspaper, that's not going to encourage anyone to take part or take more notice of it.

But, it really is *****.

nonshinyfinish
28-09-2013, 09:37 AM
What a prick.

TowerHibs
28-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't see any need for him to belittle it quite so much in a national newspaper, that's not going to encourage anyone to take part or take more notice of it.

But, it really is *****.

i agree

why is it that so many people get so upset and enraged about nonsense. Guy is allowed an opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Liberal Hibby
28-09-2013, 09:40 AM
As predictable as it is pathetic.

Quite. Replace the word 'women' with 'black' and see how far he'd get.

cabbageandribs1875
28-09-2013, 09:42 AM
coincidentally i've just finished reading an article on the news about women in Saudi Arabia having to protest for the right to drive a car http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24296811 i reckon tam cowan would fit in nicely in that country, Medieval laws for the modern 21st century man, he will be flinging his shoes at the women next

Andy74
28-09-2013, 09:44 AM
No interest in women's football and I resent the suggestion that I should have. Totally different sports.

Leishy1995
28-09-2013, 09:45 AM
My little sister plays for Hibs ladies and I'd bloody love him to come along and tell the plasters his views when he can't hide away from them. Pathetic view, sexist aswell. He's barely watched the sport then he really shouldn't be judging it.

ScottB
28-09-2013, 09:45 AM
i agree

why is it that so many people get so upset and enraged about nonsense. Guy is allowed an opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Problem is he's not writing it because it's much of a genuine opinion, it's a piece of nonsense designed to get people to share the link, drive traffic to the site and increase ad revenue.

Of course he could be enough of an idiot to really believe that nonsense, but still.

nonshinyfinish
28-09-2013, 09:46 AM
i agree

If he just gave his opinion it would be fine.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Some of the e-mails he receives will be tremendously amusing, I cannae stand the guy, but, he is probably going to break the EU fishing quota rules judging by the number he has landed so far on here alone. He'll be sitting back on his polythene wrapped sofa pishing himself laughing.

Get over yourselves!

nonshinyfinish
28-09-2013, 09:48 AM
It's one thing to have no interest in it, that's your prerogative. But to ridicule a sport in a national newspaper, a sport which, by his own admission he knows nothing about, is bitter, ignorant and juvenile.

:agree:

MyJo
28-09-2013, 09:50 AM
And we wonder why gay football players choose not to come out publicly, when crap like that is allowed to be published in a national newspaper.

That little turd should be getting hauled over the coals for an article like that in times where a lot of energy is being directed towards stopping racism, homophobia & bigotry in the game.

TowerHibs
28-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Some of the e-mails he receives will be tremendously amusing, I cannae stand the guy, but, he is probably going to break the EU fishing quota rules judging by the number he has landed so far on here alone. He'll be sitting back on his polythene wrapped sofa pishing himself laughing.

Get over yourselves!

correct

hibby rae
28-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Is he mates with John Inverdale and Richard Keys?

johnrebus
28-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm just surprised this thread exists at all.

Does anyone on here really still buy or read the Daily Record?

Baffling.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Time for an acceptable list of newspapers for .net posters to read methinks.

Hainan Hibs
28-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I can't believe anyone would be outraged by what he says, he is spot on. It is time to spot fannying about with Women's football, it is beyond a joke how bad it is.

Best sticking to scoring the best deals at H&M and meat at Sainsburys for your man's tea instead of embarassing yersels on the football pitch:agree:

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2013, 10:09 AM
I have no interest in women's football, its just a circus act in my opinion. If i want to watch poor football at an even lower standard than kids under 12s, i will go and watch Hearts.

flash
28-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Splutter, froth, outrage etc.

How dare he have a pop at the fishing programme on BBC Alba!

_hucks_
28-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Aye the standard is poor - but that'd go for anything so woefully underfunded. I don't know for sure, but I assume that nearly all of them who played on Thursday aren't even full time footballers? Womens football, in terms of its development, is still in its infancy. Seeing this type of nonsense in the media does it only harm.
For those suggesting that the article is just a fishing trip - this may be so but that certainly doesn't excuse it. Using a widely read national newspaper to air these views, regardless of whether they're genuinely held or not, is unacceptable.

Austinho
28-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Some of the article is over the top, and completely needless, however I have to admit I agree with the overall sentiment. :duck:

My biggest gripe was at Wembley for the England v Scotland match, when they paraded Rachel Yankey as 'England's most capped player of all time'. No mention of her playing women's football – they made out that her achievement had surpassed the likes of Peter Shilton and Bobby Charlton – pretty disrespectful if you ask me. It's the same story at the Football Museum in Manchester. As far as I'm concerned, men and women's football are two different sports, and shouldn't be compared like for like.

The amount of coverage a game of football receives should be based on it's quality. I live in England, and women's football gets more coverage down here than the Scottish Premiership! Now, I have no problem at all with fans of the women's game being able to watch coverage of it, but not at the expense of superior games.

You could say 'if you don't like it, don't bloody watch it', but it is pretty hard to avoid – the women's Euro Championship had an advert on BBC every hour when it was on, and I've lost count the number of times I've clicked on a video on the BBC website along the lines of 'Arsenal put 3 past Everton', 'or Chelsea score wonder goal', only to discover it was actually ladies football (without any indication prior to that).

Leishy1995
28-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Some of the article is over the top, and completely needless, however I have to admit I agree with the overall sentiment. :duck:

My biggest gripe was at Wembley for the England v Scotland match, when they paraded Rachel Yankey as 'England's most capped player of all time'. No mention of her playing women's football – they made out that her achievement had surpassed the likes of Peter Shilton and Bobby Charlton – pretty disrespectful if you ask me. It's the same story at the Football Museum in Manchester. As far as I'm concerned, men and women's football are two different sports, and shouldn't be compared like for like.

The amount of coverage a game of football receives should be based on it's quality. I live in England, and women's football gets more coverage down here than the Scottish Premiership! Now, I have no problem at all with fans of the women's game being able to watch coverage of it, but not at the expense of superior games.

You could say 'if you don't like it, don't bloody watch it', but it is pretty hard to avoid – the women's Euro Championship had an advert on BBC every hour when it was on, and I've lost count the number of times I've clicked on a video on the BBC website along the lines of 'Arsenal put 3 past Everton', 'or Chelsea score wonder goal', only to discover it was actually ladies football (without any indication prior to that).

In all fairness they do take women's football seriously in England so it's no shock they show it over Scottish football.

Infact, Scottish football isn't exactly fantastic to watch.. Hard to say if I'd rather watch Glasgow Girls Vs Hibs ladies or St Mirren vs Ross County...

Drewster
28-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Splutter, froth, outrage etc.

How dare he have a pop at the fishing programme on BBC Alba!

Tam Cowan is an arse - this was probably the most skillful performance of high tempo, one and two touch, passing
football played at Fir Park for a long time.............they obviously have a foreign coach!!

Maybe Anna Signeul could give Pat a few tips on pass and move fitba!!!?

It was a real shame they only had a 1000 fans, but I'm sure that'll increase for the next game..........not sure if Fir Park
was the best choice of venue?

Sanger
28-09-2013, 10:24 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-fir-park-should-2314034 - Sorry for the Daily Record link.

I get that, by posting this, I'm just feeding his attention whoring even more. I just can't quite round what a ****ing moron this man is.

Best thing is to boycott his shows and let the BBC know why which is what I have done.

hibby rae
28-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Tam Cowan is an arse - this was probably the most skillful performance of high tempo, one and two touch, passing
football played at Fir Park for a long time.............they obviously have a foreign coach!!

It was a real shame they only had a 1000 fans, but I'm sure that'll increase for the next game..........not sure if Fir Park

Somewhere like Firhill would probably be better.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I don't understand why some people attack women's football. If you don't like it, then don't watch it. It's quite simple.

But there's no need to put the sport down. The people who do, have never actually taken the time to watch it.

flash
28-09-2013, 10:37 AM

That's the spirit. Get a wee pop in at Pat Fenlon.
Incidentally Motherwell do play good fitba so that's another pisspoor point as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-09-2013, 10:41 AM
IMO Tam Cowan can be quite funny off the cuff, but his written stuff is dire, and this stuff is like an annoying wee bairn, misbehaving to get attention. I remember Cowan having a go at Jonathon Watson because "Only an Excuse", is the same stuff re-hashed time and time again. For him to accuse someone else of that, is genuinely funny.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I find it quite amusing that Hibs and Scotlands mens teams are fair game on here, but, at the first sign of criticism of any aspect of the womens game then the pitchforks come out.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 10:48 AM
I find it quite amusing that Hibs and Scotlands mens teams are fair game on here, but, at the first sign of criticism of any aspect of the womens game then the pitchforks come out.

Who's beating down on mens football? Have you ever heard anybody say that men shouldn't play the game?!

500miles
28-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Women's football is pretty dire. I watch it on TV from time to time, when it was on BBC 3 etc., internationals mostly. It's got a smaller talent pool, and the physical restrictions of a woman's body. FWIW, there is probably a bit more interest because it is WOMEN playing which means other women might take interest, or people with female footballers for friends and family, but I think it's childish to suggest a St. Mirren v Ross County game is anything but of a astronomically higher quality.

GreenCastle
28-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Women's FOOTBALL is the same sport as Men's FOOTBALL - the clue is in the capital letters.

Is it the same as men's football - of course not - like Women's tennis and men's tennis the game differs.

Does that make it poor - of course not.

The Women's game in Scotland is on the rise massively - many youth girls clubs and senior clubs and even University Teams are growing all the time.

Scotland Women have done extremely well over the last few years - with limited resources.

The game on Thursday was well covered and even though there wasn't a huge crowd at the game - it was a positive result for Scotland.

As many have pointed out Scotland Women will qualify for a major tournament before the men so why not support them ?

The Daily Record is a crap paper and if you have half a brain you won't buy it.

Tam Cowan hasn't helped himself with this article - really poor taste and I don't see what he's trying to achieve ? I don't listen to his show or buy the paper and that won't change - and I urge others to do so also.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Women's football is pretty dire. I watch it on TV from time to time, when it was on BBC 3 etc., internationals mostly. It's got a smaller talent pool, and the physical restrictions of a woman's body. FWIW, there is probably a bit more interest because it is WOMEN playing which means other women might take interest, or people with female footballers for friends and family, but I think it's childish to suggest a St. Mirren v Ross County game is anything but of a astronomically higher quality.

Is it?

How is men thumping the ball up in the air back and forth any better than women doing the same thing?

That's all St Mirren do at the moment.

easty
28-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Is it?

How is men thumping the ball up in the air back and forth any better than women doing the same thing?

That's all St Mirren do at the moment.

Youre right, and yet St Mirrens men's team would put about 20 past any women's side!

hibsbollah
28-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Cowans a nasal-voiced, whiney west coast mafia irrelevance. Hes from the cultural dark ages. Id like to see my daughters school team take turns booting him up the erchie.

..and if you dont think womens football can be top quality, you must have missed Spain v France on tv the other week.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Youre right, and yet St Mirrens men's team would put about 20 past any women's side!

Only because of brute strength.

Women do the best they can considering their physical limitations compared to men. Women can however still be as good as men on a technical level. Meaning women's football can be just as entertaining.

hibsbollah
28-09-2013, 11:18 AM

:dunno: Noones saying its not 'acceptable' to read it, im sure you know that quite well. In my opinion, its a **** paper and youre not going to learn anything interesting by reading it.

hibsbollah
28-09-2013, 11:21 AM

Thats irrelevant. Serena couldnt beat Andy Murray at tennis, but you dont get many editorials in national papers mocking womens tennis on that basis.

flash
28-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Cowans a nasal-voiced, whiney west coast mafia irrelevance. Hes from the cultural dark ages. Id like to see my daughters school team take turns booting him up the erchie.

..and if you dont think womens football can be top quality, you must have missed Spain v France on tv the other week.

I meant to catch that game but it clashed with Pro Celebrity Paperclip flicking on Dave6.

500miles
28-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Only because of brute strength.

Women do the best they can considering their physical limitations compared to men. Women can however still be as good as men on a technical level. Meaning women's football can be just as entertaining.

Unless you can apply that technical ability in a game of competitive football, you are not a good footballer. There are loads of guys out there that can do some dazzling tricks, keepie uppies for hours, but never made it as footballers because they weren't good enough. They may have lacked pace, strength, or just the mentality that allowed them perform in high intensity competitive football, but those are the demands of top quality football, and those same demands are not apparent in women's football. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a sport. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be televised if there is enough interest. What I am saying is, it shouldn't be put on the same platform as the men's game.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Tam may think its a burd but the laugh's on him he's either a dinosaur or one of these...

PatHead
28-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Was at a dinner last year where Tam Cowan was the main speaker. He was probably the worst after dinner speaker I have heard. Just thought I would mention it.

TRC
28-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Women's FOOTBALL is the same sport as Men's FOOTBALL - the clue is in the capital letters.

Is it the same as men's football - of course not - like Women's tennis and men's tennis the game differs.

Does that make it poor - of course not.

The Women's game in Scotland is on the rise massively - many youth girls clubs and senior clubs and even University Teams are growing all the time.

Scotland Women have done extremely well over the last few years - with limited resources.

The game on Thursday was well covered and even though there wasn't a huge crowd at the game - it was a positive result for Scotland.

As many have pointed out Scotland Women will qualify for a major tournament before the men so why not support them ?

The Daily Record is a crap paper and if you have half a brain you won't buy it.

Tam Cowan hasn't helped himself with this article - really poor taste and I don't see what he's trying to achieve ? I don't listen to his show or buy the paper and that won't change - and I urge others to do so also.

if that was true then Diabetes type1 and type2 are the same condition which they aren't. however I agree that the women that play football should be treated with the same respect as the.men however the product on offer is somewhat limited. better analogy wood be you can buy food from mcdonalds however you can also buy food from the witchery. both food but I know which I'd rather have and it's not got gold m's outside.

Drewster
28-09-2013, 11:46 AM
That's the spirit. Get a wee pop in at Pat Fenlon.
Incidentally Motherwell do play good fitba so that's another pisspoor point as well.

Motherwell must have had an off day when they played Hibs at Easter Road on the opening day
this season then!!?

Wasn't really having a go at Pat - but the girls on Thursday had clearly been very well coached
and the movement off the ball was excellent!!

In my view our movement over the last few years is very poor.........it was much better for the
first 20 mins against St Mirren.

Andy74
28-09-2013, 11:58 AM
What do you think the women would be saying if men were doing synchronised swimming and the gymnastics with the balls and ribbons? It's just a light hearted piss take.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Unless you can apply that technical ability in a game of competitive football, you are not a good footballer. There are loads of guys out there that can do some dazzling tricks, keepie uppies for hours, but never made it as footballers because they weren't good enough. They may have lacked pace, strength, or just the mentality that allowed them perform in high intensity competitive football, but those are the demands of top quality football, and those same demands are not apparent in women's football. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a sport. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be televised if there is enough interest. What I am saying is, it shouldn't be put on the same platform as the men's game.

But it's woman playing against other woman, not women playing against men. So the physical limitations arent really limitations at all.

Dalianwanda
28-09-2013, 12:01 PM
And we wonder why gay football players choose not to come out publicly, when crap like that is allowed to be published in a national newspaper.

That little turd should be getting hauled over the coals for an article like that in times where a lot of energy is being directed towards stopping racism, homophobia & bigotry in the game.
Spot on

sesoim
28-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Going by the pc rubbish some people post on here, I'd say The Guardian is the only paper some people would want to read.

For the record, I though Tam was unfair, because he had one of the players on his radio show a few weeks ago, Kim Little I think, and she seemed very nice. A wee joke is ok, but a big rant is over the top.

There is nothing wrong with women's football on its own terms - as long as they don't expect to get the same wages as the male players. :wink: Mind you, the pc brigade will probably get onto that one eventually.

Sanger
28-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Spot on
Spir on. Campaign to get the bigot off publicly funded radio and TV?

hibbeedavid
28-09-2013, 12:08 PM
The article is OTT and totally wrong, the comparison another poster made between men's and woman's tennis, but it's just a fishing attempt to try and stir up argument and publicity and seems to be working judging by the reaction on here

Beefster
28-09-2013, 12:11 PM
There's some cavemen on here that I bet aren't as brave when the missus is around.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 12:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with women's football on its own terms - as long as they don't expect to get the same wages as the male players. :wink: Mind you, the pc brigade will probably get onto that one eventually.

I would argue that male players just shouldn't get the level of wages that they do. :wink:

Thecat23
28-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Cowan is a roaster. To be honest woman's football doesn't interest me at all. Doesn't mean I want it binned. They have every right to play as much as anyone else. I just wouldn't choose to watch it. No matter how good the players are how come the Keepers are always honking? Like drunks chasing a balloon when coming for a ball.

Part/Time Supporter
28-09-2013, 12:43 PM
No sign of him on Off the Ball today....

:hmmm:

Hibbyradge
28-09-2013, 12:47 PM
No matter how good the players are how come the Keepers are always honking? Like drunks chasing a balloon when coming for a ball.

Did you see Celtic's first goal today? :wink:

Spike Mandela
28-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Tam Cowan and the Daily Record both of them last relevant about 20 odd years ago. Totally out of touch the pair of them. I'm not the sort to throw my hands up in horrror at a one off sexist joke now and again but a full article like that shows lack of imagination,talent and is full of the usual cheap shots.

Looking forward to next week's column on why black players are rubbish or how protestant players are better than catholics.

Twa Cairpets
28-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I've read this thread through, then removed myself to calm down, then returned.

I'm quite heavily involved in girls football, have watched a lot of senior womens games, as well as involvement in male amateur and youth football so I hope I speak from a position of some knowledge.

1) Historically, girls football has been poorer than boys, as the opportunity, resource and facilities have been denied clubs and teams who wanted to get the girls/women's game moving forward. This is partly due to the attitudes of Cowan (whether real or deliberately inflammatory), which at root is puerile, outdated sexism. It's not funny, and is deeply irritating to those involved, as every negative, outdated view base don lack of knowledge sets the development of the game back. It re-inforces the attitudes of some posters on this board too.

2) The girls game is booming in Scotland and the South East in particular. I understand it is the faster growing sport in both absolute terms and percentage increase in participants, and I also read has recently overtaken rugby in terms of regular participants. The Regional set up to support elite players is superb, the co-operation between clubs to develop players is vastly superior to that in boys football.

3) The game on the pitch is football, regardless of the sex of the participants. To say otherwise is ludicrous. It is played a little differently insofar as the style of the game is different - the top level of girls football is noticeably more on the ground than most boys clubs. The technical capability is every bit as good.

4) Every domestic player is amateur. Virtually every club coach is unpaid, but the training regime at the top clubs is punishing and every bit as committed as elite, amateur men. The reason it needs defended from tripe like Cowans article is that it isn't a professional sport, people do it for the love of the game and to disparage it solely because the participants are women is pathetic and damaging.

5) If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like rugby. I don't watch it.

Hibby Gav
28-09-2013, 12:50 PM
No sign of him on Off the Ball today....

:hmmm:
I heard them say he was not on because he had to stay late at the DR to deal with the extra "correspondence "

hibsbollah
28-09-2013, 12:53 PM

I'm quite heavily involved in girls football, have watched a lot of senior womens games, as well as involvement in male amateur and youth football so I hope I speak from a position of some knowledge.

1) Historically, girls football has been poorer than boys, as the opportunity, resource and facilities have been denied clubs and teams who wanted to get the girls/women's game moving forward. This is partly due to the attitudes of Cowan (whether real or deliberately inflammatory), which at root is puerile, outdated sexism. It's not funny, and is deeply irritating to those involved, as every negative, outdated view base don lack of knowledge sets the development of the game back. It re-inforces the attitudes of some posters on this board too.

2) The girls game is booming in Scotland and the South East in particular. I understand it is the faster growing sport in both absolute terms and percentage increase in participants, and I also read has recently overtaken rugby in terms of regular participants. The Regional set up to support elite players is superb, the co-operation between clubs to develop players is vastly superior to that in boys football.

3) The game on the pitch is football, regardless of the sex of the participants. To say otherwise is ludicrous. It is played a little differently insofar as the style of the game is different - the top level of girls football is noticeably more on the ground than most boys clubs. The technical capability is every bit as good.

4) Every domestic player is amateur. Virtually every club coach is unpaid, but the training regime at the top clubs is punishing and every bit as committed as elite, amateur men. The reason it needs defended from tripe like Cowans article is that it isn't a professional sport, people do it for the love of the game and to disparage it solely because the participants are women is pathetic and damaging.

:top marks

hibbymick
28-09-2013, 01:00 PM

On the same token ...folk that dont like Tam Cowan shouldnt bother reading his articles.

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 01:03 PM
On the same token ...folk that dont like Tam Cowan shouldnt bother reading his articles.

Nobody then?

Hibbyradge
28-09-2013, 01:05 PM
I just emailed him this photo.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9059/kxf7.png

Thecat23
28-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Did you see Celtic's first goal today? :wink:

Haha I did, although 9/10 woman keepers are just terrible :D

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 01:09 PM

9/10 GKs we sign are quite terrible. Perhaps we've been signing woman GKs with shaved scalps? :wink:

blackpoolhibs
28-09-2013, 01:16 PM
9/10 GKs we sign are quite terrible. Perhaps we've been signing woman GKs with shaved scalps? :wink:

I like my women to be shaved.

Brightside
28-09-2013, 01:20 PM

He's a bellend. The paper should get sued for printing the hate. If he claimed Jews shouldnt play football, or blacks would that be ok? He's a proper fat useless dinosaur.

Brightside
28-09-2013, 01:21 PM
i agree

Free press is only free if its not offensive. No idea why some people find this tricky to understand.

Aldo
28-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Cowan is a grade A plum. Tell you what Hope Solo and Emma Byrne could keep me any day. (USA and Irish keepers)

Edit: agree with the comments that the man is a bellend.

Never has a good word to say bout us.

Beefster
28-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Free press is only free if its not offensive. No idea why some people find this tricky to understand.

Being blunt, folk find it difficult to understand because it's nonsense. Some folk find Richard Dawkins writing an article about how religion is bunkum offensive. It doesn't stop it being published.

I don't really like Cowan and I hate the Daily Record but they have the right to print anything they want as long as no laws are broken.

hibbymick
28-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Quite often you find that folk who are easily offended have a Frankie Boyle DVD in their collection. I think they call it selective offendism.:cb

Brightside
28-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Its not on the same platform. Just like tennis and almost every sport on the planet. Women will never be better than men at football. But no-one is claiming that. If you were a fan of swimming would you only watch mens swimming? Women's football is the fastest growing sport in the world. Scotland are improving year in year and are now pushing the Top 10 in the world. If you dont want to watch it thats fine...but don't have people in the press saying its Piyesh when they havent even watched it.

Beefster
28-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Quite often you find that folk who are easily offended have a Frankie Boyle DVD in their collection. I think they call it selective offendism.:cb

I've been to see Frankie Boyle live (he wasn't that good incidentally). I still find sexism/misogyny, racism, homophobia, sectarianism and lots of other stuff offensive though.

Hibbyradge
28-09-2013, 01:33 PM

You've done a lot of research into this, have you?

A little reseasrch?

Any at all?

:wink:

Brightside
28-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Being blunt, folk find it difficult to understand because it's nonsense. Some folk find Richard Dawkins writing an article about how religion is bunkum offensive. It doesn't stop it being published.

I don't really like Cowan and I hate the Daily Record but they have the right to print anything they want as long as no laws are broken.

Right lets open this up then. If he writes that article again and says because Jews played at Motherwell they should burn the club down....is that OK? Or Blacks... or Gays? Its hateful garbage and he shouldnt be allowed to print it.

Beefster
28-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Right lets open this up then. If he writes that article again and says because Jews played at Motherwell they should burn the club down....is that OK? Or Blacks... or Gays? Its hateful garbage and he shouldnt be allowed to print it.

Then he'd be inciting racial hatred, which is against the law.

hibbymick
28-09-2013, 01:37 PM
You've done a lot of research into this, have you?

A little reseasrch?

Any at all?

:wink:

Mair than you :wink:

Hibercelona
28-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Then he'd be inciting racial hatred, which is against the law.

Since when was sexism legal?

Brightside
28-09-2013, 01:44 PM

THIS ^ I cannot stand Rugby - but I wouldnt comment on it as I know zero about it. He admits to knowing nothing about the womens games yet still publishes an article in a national newspaper about it. #dick

Hibbyradge
28-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Mair than you :wink:

I'd venture we've done exactly the same amount. :greengrin

GreenCastle
28-09-2013, 01:53 PM
How he manages to get his article published when he start's with this statement is ridiculous.

"Admittedly, I’ve not seen a lot of women’s football"

Agree with many on here girls and women's football is a breath of fresh air right now in Scotland with all the negative press of the SPL / Rangers / Scotland National team and youth boys teams struggling.

Typical Scotland - someone does well and we try to knock them - no wonder the mens game has a losers mentality at times.

hibbymick
28-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I'd venture we've done exactly the same amount. :greengrin

:greengrin I just dont know why folk are getting all uptight about it. Thank ****** Les Dawsons no around anymore or he might be taken to task for his infamous mother in law jokes.

P.S just for the record........wimmens fitbaw is utter gash.......so ive heard.

Just Alf
28-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Many years ago I watch us against the oldco Huns at ER... It was fast, frenetic and exciting

I enjoyed it

The following week I was over seeing a mate in Dunfermline and we decided to amble round the corner and watch the game... This was when Dunfy were a firmly routed 1st division side (might've been 2nd at the time!), the game was slow, lots of passing and still exciting.

I enjoyed it

If we were going to go with Tams view of the world (and some on here :D ) maybe we should get rid of the lower divisions in the men's game as well?

Of course he might just have been doing a fantastic trolling job!

Jim44
28-09-2013, 02:03 PM
THIS ^ I cannot stand Rugby - but I wouldnt comment on it as I know zero about it. He admits to knowing nothing about the womens games yet still publishes an article in a national newspaper about it. #dick

My thoughts exactly. Let's not forget 'tho that he is not a sports journalist but merely a lightweight columnist looking for cheap laughs with schoolboy humour. Irrespective of what you think of ladies football as a sport or spectacle, people in his position should think twice about slagging off activities which, to a greater or lesser degree, serve to promote sporting interest and participation for the general public. The guy is a tool.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 02:13 PM
He'll get laughs of the same type of people who found Andy Gray and Richard Keys comments a few years ago funny.

I'm not some 'PC gone mad' type (how overused is that phrase by the way?) but joke about 'little snatches' and the like are just pathetic really and appeal to s******ing schoolboy types. A bit subtle humour mixed into a valid point might have worked but a childish rant full of bad puns is just attention seeking nonsense appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Keith_M
28-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm glad this article was posted on here. I stopped reading anything written by that twat ages ago purely because he wasn't funny. Reading that has saved me checking his articles to see if he has become any funnier in the meantime, he clearly hasn't.

Tam Cowan: People laughed when he said he was going to become a Comedian. Well, they're not laughing now! **

** Corny old jokes seem most appropriate considering the subject.

--------
28-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Totally agree, TC.

Cowan's article is offensive, sexist rubbish. Like you I had to go make a cuppa and calm down before I posted here.

I would assume that this is an opportunist piece to make a stir and draw attention to himself; the number of posters on this thread either agreeing with him or seeing no harm in him appals me.

As you say, football is football whoever's playing it, and most women's matches I've seen recently have been a lot more entertaining that anything I've seen played in the SPFL for a long time. There are a good number of girls in the village here who play for local clubs and some of them are very, very good. They don't have the attitude that they already know how to play the game so why bother to practice or train which I believe can be encountered among the boys; they apply themselves to practice work very hard.

The games I've seen, the ball tends to stay on the ground a lot more; the players work hard for one another and seem to have mastered the concept of 'pass and run', which, though fundamental to all good football teams, seems to have passed a number of the posters on this forum by entirely.

Lately I've come t the conclusion that the real problem with Scottish football is the impregnable ignorance and stupidity of so many of those (men) involved in the sport.

Of those - I was going to say dinosaurs but that wouldn't be at all fair to T Rex and his mates so I don't know what to call them other than morons - Tam Cowan must qualify as the Number One poster boy.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Pathetic article from an author who ironically, looks every inch the fat lesbian.

--------
28-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Pathetic article from an author who ironically, looks every inch the fat lesbian.

Georgie Foulkes' love-child more like. :greengrin

heretoday
28-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Tam Cowan will say anything to make a column. On this occasion he has caused real offence. Womens footy is ok and I have seen some good games and some bad ones. In Scotland we are hardly in a position to criticise other areas of football in terms of quality.

Twa Cairpets
28-09-2013, 04:22 PM

And have you seen 10 women's games to make a decent judgement? btw I agree the standard of keeping isn't as good as men, but that doesnt mean its terrible. Best performance I've seen this season at any level of the grassroots game was a 13 year old girl goalkeeper.

I can't believe anyone would be outraged by what he says, he is spot on. It is time to spot fannying about with Women's football, it is beyond a joke how bad it is.
Best sticking to scoring the best deals at H&M and meat at Sainsburys for your man's tea instead of embarassing yersels on the football pitch
Realise you may just be fishing, but if this is what you think away and have a word with yourself. Even if it is "a bit of a joke", I suspect it probably is what you think. Pathetic

I have no interest in women's football, its just a circus act in my opinion. If i want to watch poor football at an even lower standard than kids under 12s, i will go and watch Hearts.
Why do you think it is a circus act? People playing a game they enjoy somehow offends you? Why shouldn't the people involved in improving the game promote it and develop and take it out to an audience who are interested in it. Like I said, if you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. But don't slag it from a position of what I suspect is presuppositional ignorance.

What a load of tripe. Imagine a telly channel advertising a forthcoming event! I don't care about golf much but don't complain about them advertising coverage for The Open. Your post is pretty pathetic to be honest, if this is the best you can muster in defence of Cowan's article.

I've spent a fair chunk of today coaching girls football, and will do the same tomorrow. The commitment, ability and determination from the girls is exceptional, and the attitude streets ahead of boys of similar ages (from 8-13).
The drivel in the article and nudge nudge wink wink type comments form lazy posters on here with either real or trolling views has the genuine potential to eat away at the growing acceptance of girls football as a norm. The attitude of for example "its a circus" or "it's a joke" directly affects players who see it, coaches who are involved and the more dinosaur elements in some clubs who want any excuse to denigrate female football and starve them of access to pitches/funding at the expense of the boys/mens game. The comparison with "if he'd said jews/gays/blacks" is entirely valid - it is a nasty little article about a group of people who play the sport and are defined by something that is inate.

Cowan (who I have actually quite liked for the most part in the past) has every right not to like womens football. He should, in my opinion, think before he writes utter s***e that is damaging to real people.

Cropley10
28-09-2013, 05:07 PM
No interest in women's football and I resent the suggestion that I should have. Totally different sports.

Completely agree.

It's like the Paralympics. Fantastic for those taking part but not spectator sport, whichever way you try and cut it.

The Falcon
28-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Tam Cowan is as funny as root canal treatment.

Woman's football is bloody awful.

The end.

I watched some of the Womens EURO's this year and was pleasantly surprised at the standard of play as in it was better than i thought. Goalies are not that great as the size and physicality is missing and not sure how you overcome that but some of the passing, particularly at the semi final stage, was pretty slick. .

What did impress me was that when they were hit they got up and got on with it like men, whereas the men roll about with pretendy injuries whinging like wee girls

Twa Cairpets
28-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Completely agree.

It's like the Paralympics. Fantastic for those taking part but not spectator sport, whichever way you try and cut it.

It's not a spectator sport for you if you don't like it, sure. No-one is suggesting for an instant that you have to like it - that would be ludicrous.

I disagree completely that just because you happen to think "its not a spectator sport" then objectively, definitively it isn't. In the UK it has less spectators, in Germany and Scandinavia for example women's games draw significant gates. The standard is better and the players better as a result of the professionalism it has and the draw it has.

I can't understand anyone wanting to go and watch a grand prix or cricket - doesn't mean they're not spectator sports.

GreenCastle
28-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Tam Cowan is an anagram of Cat Woman :na na:

Guaranteed all the posters on this thread who say they don't like Women's Football are men. While there is nothing wrong with that. People need to stop stereotyping the game as it's developed hugely over the last few years and comparing it to men's football.

Maybe the men on here feel insecure that many of Women's players / coaches are better than they are at the game so keep knocking the game?? :confused:

The comments about the women's game and paralympics being poorly supported are also way out of touch! Very narrow minded if you think that - not only at the top level but it's one of the fastest growing sports at grassroots level in Scotland / UK plus the wide number that play in the USA for example!

Brightside
28-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Hibs are playing Glasgow City tomorrow. 2pm Albyn Park. For those that think its garbage i suggest you watch and learn.

Cropley10
28-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Rubbish. Tell that to the tens of thousands who show up to watch women's football at major tournaments like the world cup, euros and Olympics.

I don't think women's football is a spectator sport. I'm not interested in it. I don't watch it. I don't watch the Paralympics either.

I fully understand the huge effort made by everyone contributing.

I - personally - don't think its spectator sport. Many millions of people agree, certainly on the football side as comparatively few people watch it, even at the highest level. Stadiums are half full at best. Tournaments are staged at times when it doesn't compete with the men's game.

That might not fit with some people's egalitarian view of the world. However we live in a sports world dominated by TV. Who by definition have to fill our screens with something.

Hibby Bairn
28-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I watched the whole Scotland game and earlier this season watched Hibs Ladies play Aberdeen. Both were very entertaining and bothSScotland and Hibs looked very good.

The main issue is that most games lack competitiveness so whilst you see plenty goals it is often very one sided.

But the ability and skill levels are very high now compared with say 10 years ago.

Cropley10
28-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Hibs are playing Glasgow City tomorrow. 2pm Albyn Park. For those that think its garbage i suggest you watch and learn.

I've got a 2pm KO tomorrow, otherwise I might :devil:

What sorts of numbers will watch it btw?

NAE NOOKIE
28-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Tam Cowan has made me laugh before and TBH he doesnt really bother me .... until now.

If he wants to go fishing I suggest he buys a fishing rod and does it properly.

The crude 'joke' at the start of his article should be enough to damn his stupid rantings, but the rest of it doesnt do him any favours either.

If some of the guys I've seen play for Hibs and Scotland over the years had shown the commitmant, skill and effort I've seen in some womens games lately perhaps our football would be a hell of a lot better.

The man is a mysonigistic tool.

Cropley10
28-09-2013, 06:00 PM
It's not a spectator sport for you if you don't like it, sure. No-one is suggesting for an instant that you have to like it - that would be ludicrous.

I disagree completely that just because you happen to think "its not a spectator sport" then objectively, definitively it isn't. In the UK it has less spectators, in Germany and Scandinavia for example women's games draw significant gates. The standard is better and the players better as a result of the professionalism it has and the draw it has.

I can't understand anyone wanting to go and watch a grand prix or cricket - doesn't mean they're not spectator sports.

Quite obviously cricket and Grand Prix racing ARE spectator sports as events in these sports are often sell outs and are very well spectated. So you can argue they are genuine spectator sports.

I'm not being definitive, rather I'm offering my opinion. I don't think either are (great) spectator sports. Outside of the Paralympics the sport of the disabled could never be described as a spectacle, or attracting large numbers of spectators. Likewise with women's football, very few people actually watch it.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I salute women footballers and paralympians. I just don't and won't watch it. Probably because I've always got something else I should be doing.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't think women's football is a spectator sport. I'm not interested in it. I don't watch it. I don't watch the Paralympics either.

I - personally - don't think its spectator sport. Many millions of people agree, certainly on the football side as comparatively few people watch it, even at the highest level. Stadiums are half full at best. Tournaments are staged at times when it doesn't compete with the men's game.

That might not fit with some people's egalitarian view of the world. However we live in a sports world dominated by TV. Who by definition have to fill our screens with something.

It's surely possible to think it'a not a spectator sport without going out your way to savage it as Cowan has done in his article.

I'm not particularly interested in womens football but good luck to those who are involved, i'm not going to knock their efforts with cheap jibes and puns from the dark ages.

Twa Cairpets
28-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Quite obviously cricket and Grand Prix racing ARE spectator sports as events in these sports are often sell outs and are very well spectated. So you can argue they are genuine spectator sports.

I'm not being definitive, rather I'm offering my opinion. I don't think either are (great) spectator sports. Outside of the Paralympics the sport of the disabled could never be described as a spectacle, or attracting large numbers of spectators. Likewise with women's football, very few people actually watch it.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I salute women footballers and paralympians. I just don't and won't watch it. Probably because I've always got something else I should be doing.

County cricket games often have tiny crowds.
The Womens Euros were hugely well attended, and as I said league games are a major draw elsewhere in Europe.

East Stirling, for example, often have crowds of a few hundred. Do they play a game that isn't a spectator sport?

My point is valid - it isn't a spectator sport for you, it doesn't mean its not a spectator sport. Professional football in Scotland for people turning up to watch is only a spectator sport for what, 4-5% of the population?

Football is a massive draw on telly, and obviously the mens game has had the vast, vast majority of the coverage. As more women and girls play the game, it deserves to get more coverage. The more coverage it gets, the more it grows. The more it grows, the more it becomes mainstream and deserves to get coverage.

Why would you lump paralympians together with women footballers? Nobody wants to be pandered to with the patronising "aren't they incredible inspirational people" that the latter get. They just want to be accepted as having a right to play the sport without it being disparaged solely on the basis of their gender. Those who want to follow it will, those who don't, won't. But I promise you it will grow massively, so get used to it.

hibbymick
28-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Dishes ? Ironing ? :greengrin

Carheenlea
28-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I find Tam Cowan to be quite entertaining on the radio where he is without script and is pretty quick witted with some decent laughs in among some of his lamer gags. However I don`t think he has the same talent as a writer, with his columns poorly written and with little or no laughs to be had. The same goes for his painfully embarrassing "Offside" television show that was thankfully put out of it`s misery a long time ago. Reading from a script, one that he himself wrote, he is excruciating to listen to, and as another poster has suggested, his scripted after dinner speeches don`t work either.
I could imagine him being decent company in the boozer providing a few laughs, but his "Off the Ball" radio show will be as far as he can expect to go on the showbiz/entertainment ladder.

JimBHibees
28-09-2013, 06:51 PM

But, it really is *****.

The game was actually very good especially first half when Scotland played some great stuff. They played more football in that half than all of the Levein Scotland era. Pretty poor to right off what is an area that should be getting encouraged in this country. Kim Little for example is more talented than the vast majority of the SPFL players.

Brightside
28-09-2013, 07:03 PM
1999: The USA hosts the FIFA Women's World Cup which sees sell out stadia and over 90,000 at the Final.
The 2005 UEFA Women's Championship is played in England. The opening match attracts an unprecedented 29,092 spectators, with a further 2.9m people watching live on BBC Two, while the tournament overall entertains 115,816 fans in 15 matches.

Those pesky fans eh!

JimBHibees
28-09-2013, 07:12 PM
And have you seen 10 women's games to make a decent judgement? btw I agree the standard of keeping isn't as good as men, but that doesnt mean its terrible. Best performance I've seen this season at any level of the grassroots game was a 13 year old girl goalkeeper.

Realise you may just be fishing, but if this is what you think away and have a word with yourself. Even if it is "a bit of a joke", I suspect it probably is what you think. Pathetic

Why do you think it is a circus act? People playing a game they enjoy somehow offends you? Why shouldn't the people involved in improving the game promote it and develop and take it out to an audience who are interested in it. Like I said, if you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. But don't slag it from a position of what I suspect is presuppositional ignorance.

What a load of tripe. Imagine a telly channel advertising a forthcoming event! I don't care about golf much but don't complain about them advertising coverage for The Open. Your post is pretty pathetic to be honest, if this is the best you can muster in defence of Cowan's article.

I've spent a fair chunk of today coaching girls football, and will do the same tomorrow. The commitment, ability and determination from the girls is exceptional, and the attitude streets ahead of boys of similar ages (from 8-13).
The drivel in the article and nudge nudge wink wink type comments form lazy posters on here with either real or trolling views has the genuine potential to eat away at the growing acceptance of girls football as a norm. The attitude of for example "its a circus" or "it's a joke" directly affects players who see it, coaches who are involved and the more dinosaur elements in some clubs who want any excuse to denigrate female football and starve them of access to pitches/funding at the expense of the boys/mens game. The comparison with "if he'd said jews/gays/blacks" is entirely valid - it is a nasty little article about a group of people who play the sport and are defined by something that is inate.

Cowan (who I have actually quite liked for the most part in the past) has every right not to like womens football. He should, in my opinion, think before he writes utter s***e that is damaging to real people.

Great post and well done for spending so much time in developing the game at grassroots level. For me the standard of womens football has really come on in terms of the top level and to me the good thing about it is the lack of the physical element and much more emphasis on the skill levels. I watched most of the game on Thursday and thought especially first half the standard was terrific by the Scottish players.

Sudds_1
28-09-2013, 07:14 PM
if that was true then Diabetes type1 and type2 are the same condition which they aren't. however I agree that the women that play football should be treated with the same respect as the.men however the product on offer is somewhat limited. better analogy wood be you can buy food from mcdonalds however you can also buy food from the witchery. both food but I know which I'd rather have and it's not got gold m's outside.

Chips at the Witchery are boggin.............:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
28-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Completely agree.

Bollox and incredibly offensive comment. The US and Canada Olympics semi final last year was simply one of the best games I watched all year.

Sir David Gray
28-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Completely agree.

Almost 3 million tickets were sold for the Paralympics last year. You might not be interested in it but there's a big difference between being interested in watching something and accepting that it's a spectator sport.

I have very little interest in either of the sports that you have mentioned in your second post there (Cricket and Formula One) but I accept that they're both spectator sports.

As for the orginal topic, I don't have any interest in women's football but I think Tam Cowan's article was a bit too much. He is entitled to his opinion though.

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 07:31 PM
We have a ex Scottish international (girl) who plays sometimes in an elevens league I play in (job related) - she isn't out of place one bit. Age ranges are different, we've all played at very decent levels - the only thing that girls lack is physical presence.

Good wee chassis on her too (nonsexistdinnaegivemegriefsmiley) !

Treadstone
28-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Hope the Record lose advertisers over this.
Cowans missus must be affronted.

Phil D. Rolls
28-09-2013, 08:16 PM

The man is a fool.

judas
28-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Agree with all of that. Woman's football is dire. Lets not get all sanctimonious and PC. It's single fish.

Twa Cairpets
28-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Agree with all of that. Woman's football is dire. Lets not get all sanctimonious and PC. It's single fish.

Sanctimonious and PC? Since when has responding to sexist, ill-informed gutter drivel been either sanctimonious or PC? - no evidence of it on this thread.

And frankly, even if it was - as you saw inelegantly suggest - "single fish", so what? What right do Cowan or the likes of you have to rubbish, insult, and denigrate people playing a sport at the peak of their ability, solely on the basis of their gender without the slightest clue what they are talking about?

It's ignorant, it's actively damaging to the development of the sport and it has no place in football. If this comes over as sanctimonious then I don't give a cr@p - you and your 1950's Motherwell buddy are utterly in the wrong.

Beefster
28-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Greater than 99% of the people who play sport, at whatever level, are pish when compared to those that earn a living from it. I'm not sure what your point is?

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Sanctimonious and PC? Since when has responding to sexist, ill-informed gutter drivel been either sanctimonious or PC? - no evidence of it on this thread.

And frankly, even if it was - as you saw inelegantly suggest - "single fish", so what? What right do Cowan or the likes of you have to rubbish, insult, and denigrate people playing a sport at the peak of their ability, solely on the basis of their gender without the slightest clue what they are talking about?

It's ignorant, it's actively damaging to the development of the sport and it has no place in football. If this comes over as sanctimonious then I don't give a cr@p - you and your 1950's Motherwell buddy are utterly in the wrong.

I agree with ya mate - and as I said I play sometimes with a girl who is a great little footballer. Also thankful that I play centre mid and she's a striker - makes my view even better when I'm looking for that slide rule pass and all I can see is her rear 😀

I watched an interesting programme about Liverpool and their ladies team are flying - the more professional their game becomes the better the skills.

I'm all for it - as for Cowan, he's a scotch egg on legs.

nonshinyfinish
28-09-2013, 09:08 PM

Sigh.

SkintHibby
28-09-2013, 09:58 PM
I like Tam Cowan but I think he's bang out of order on this one. :-(

Andy74
28-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Right. When are we getting those diet coke ads banned. Sexist nonsense.

oconnors_strip
28-09-2013, 10:02 PM
According to media sources Cowan was dropped from off the ball today because of his article

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/tam-cowan-dropped-by-bbc-scotland-after-sexist-newspaper-column.1380404388?_=9ee0df7c8a647ff45e95abfac028ef 5651be0ac5

FranckSuzy
28-09-2013, 10:18 PM
The biggest shock for me in all of this is that he's only 44. Must have had a hard paper round.

hibernator
28-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Here's the highlights from the game he is slating, I had watched it before I seen this and thought the Ladies had played some cracking "Football" with some great control and passing, I think most would agree he is doing the Ladies a disservice and deserves to be banned fro his efforts ! :cb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/24292909

grunt
28-09-2013, 10:35 PM

truehibernian
28-09-2013, 10:36 PM
The biggest shock for me in all of this is that he's only 44. Must have had a hard paper round.

Time for a real football forum backlash to get the fat 'Well chunt off the airwaves and telly - he's not funny, he's the stereotypical 'shortbread tin' pre 70's scottish comic and he knows diddly about football !

The fact he was made a food critic says it all !!!!

We and other clubs should start a 'Get Cowan Off The Airwaves'

He's an absolute grade 'A' twat !!! Cosgrove is a really knowledgable guy, Cowan beside him is just a disgrace.

Jonnyboy
28-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Completely agree.

Sorry Crops but that's just plain offensive to Paralympic athletes. As dedicated as able bodied sports men and women and if you don't watch it you're remarks make no sense

chrisski33
28-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Completely agree.

This has to be one of the most stupid uneducated posts on here ever! Have a word with yourself.

chrisski33
28-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Many millions dont watch Hibs play does that make hibs not worth watching?

chrisski33
28-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Aye cos the standard being played by our mens team is great! Im sure the hibs women team is attaining better results than the men!

chrisski33
28-09-2013, 11:31 PM
How? I cant be arsed with cricket or rugby but that doesnt make it not a spectator sport. The paralympics last proved it was a spectator sport.
Nothing to do with Political correctness. What tam cowan wrote was sexist, stupid and wrong.
The funny thing is that the women footballers out there will be better footballers than folk like you who say theres no place for them in football!

Baader
28-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Poor stuff from Cowan who just comes over as ignorant dismissing something he even claims not to know much about.

So people shouldn't take part in something they enjoy cause he doesn't like it? Theyre amateurs FFS and taking part in a sport because they enjoy it. Or are you not allowed to take part in a sport unless you're good at it?

Tam Cowan should know a thing or two about not being very good at something you do mind you...

chrisski33
28-09-2013, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=hibsbollah;3759166]Thats irrelevant. Serena couldnt beat Andy Murray at tennis, but you dont get many editorials in national papers mocking womens tennis on that basis.[/QUO

Lol how do you know? Andy hasnt played serena so your point is invalid! I actually thino serena would beat andy murray.

GraniteCityHibs
29-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Their really are some right dicks that post on this board.

Stonewall
29-09-2013, 06:04 AM
I'll put my head on the block - I agree with Cropley10. I can't be bothered watching it.

It's political correctness gone *******.

Well I can't be bothered watching Hibs at the moment. Not sure what that proves in the wider sense.

Slightly baffled as to the link between your first and second comments. Please explain.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 06:34 AM
I'll put my head on the block - I agree with Cropley10. I can't be bothered watching it.

It's political correctness gone *******.

Another bell end. Astounding to read such stuff on here. Hibs Class? Doubt it.

Aldo
29-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Suspended by the BBC for the sexist comments made in his Daily Record Column yesterday.

That's what happens when a complete walloper who isn't even funny try's to be funny.

Cheerio Tam

hibsbollah
29-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Why disability has been brought into this thread a number of times I have no idea. Unless its just a big vent of prejudices? Maybe we'll move onto 'Pakis' shortly :rolleyes:

H18sry
29-09-2013, 07:49 AM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/tam-cowan-dropped-by-bbc-scotland-after-sexist-newspaper-column.1380404388 :bye:

One Day
29-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Suspended by the BBC for the sexist comments made in his Daily Record Column yesterday.

That's what happens when a complete walloper who isn't even funny try's to be funny.

Cheerio Tam

I hope the Daily Record do likewise horrible litte man

Steve-O
29-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Why is it so many people overreact to these stories so massively these days?

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch women's football either? What's wrong with that exactly?

Geo_1875
29-09-2013, 08:04 AM
But it's woman playing against other woman, not women playing against men. So the physical limitations arent really limitations at all.

But the physical limitations are paramount or it would be a mixed sport like showjumping or poker.

green day
29-09-2013, 08:42 AM
For womens football, you could substitute tennis where lots of people say women's tennis is crap.

And I would wager all of them have never watched it live.

I have (Wimbledon and other top class tournaments), and its just as competitive as men's tennis, you would be astonished at how hard and accurately they hit it.

That physically they couldn't compete with Murray, Nadal etc is neither here nor there - the version they compete in is excellent, but fatso Cowan would never say that either.

Hibs7
29-09-2013, 09:13 AM
The Scotland women's team would beat Hibs at the moment and as for Cowan he is like dog ******* you get on your shoe ... Can't wait to get rid of it. !! He is a prime case for forced euthanasia..

TowerHibs
29-09-2013, 09:27 AM
The Scotland women's team would beat Hibs at the moment and as for Cowan he is like dog ******* you get on your shoe ... Can't wait to get rid of it. !! He is a prime case for forced euthanasia..

Well thats bollocks, i used to regularly play scotland womans teamwhen i was under 15s/16s and we'd take 5 or 6 off them. It wont ever get to the heights of good youth football and shouldnt demand the money or exposure to do so.

And to everyone getting all defensive about the womans game getting a kick in, take a look at any thread when scotland's men are playing. There is no support there and tue abuse is.OTT.

Not that hibs supply a lot of funding but there would be up roar if the club said the 1st team would receive less funding to develop the girls team. Good luck to those who are involved but trying to preach to those who are not interested is just as ignorant

The Voice Of Reason
29-09-2013, 10:32 AM

"The Scotland women's team would beat Hibs at the moment"

Congratulations !

In all the years I have been on hibs.net that statement really is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read !!!!!!! FAF!!!!!!

Keep them coming as I need a good laugh at the moment!!

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 10:32 AM

Calm down, you're getting a tad carried away now.

NAE NOOKIE
29-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Well thats bollocks, i used to regularly play scotland womans teamwhen i was under 15s/16s and we'd take 5 or 6 off them. It wont ever get to the heights of good youth football and shouldnt demand the money or exposure to do so.

And to everyone getting all defensive about the womans game getting a kick in, take a look at any thread when scotland's men are playing. There is no support there and tue abuse is.OTT.

Not that hibs supply a lot of funding but there would be up roar if the club said the 1st team would receive less funding to develop the girls team. Good luck to those who are involved but trying to preach to those who are not interested is just as ignorant

Perhaps not ..... But Cowans rant wasnt just that, was it, he was more or less saying that women shouldnt be playing football at all. Take a look around Easter Road at any home game and you will see that Hibs actually have a decent sized female support. The biggest per head of support in the league I read somewhere a few years ago.

I would suggest that if they were all to turn round and go ' ye ken what, fitbas a load of bollocks, lets take up knitting instead' that Hibs would take a pretty fair sized financial hit. As far as I'm concerned the more females interested in football, playing or spectating, the better.

Its good for Hibs and good for football in general ..... The last thing we need is tools like Tam Cowan putting girls off the game.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Aye cos the standard being played by our mens team is great! Im sure the hibs women team is attaining better results than the men!

The mens team would beat the womens team each and every time, and by 20 goals probably more. Maybe if they blindfolded them it would be a little closer?

BarneyK
29-09-2013, 10:39 AM
For womens football, you could substitute tennis where lots of people say women's tennis is crap.

And I would wager all of them have never watched it live.

I have (Wimbledon and other top class tournaments), and its just as competitive as men's tennis, you would be astonished at how hard and accurately they hit it.

That physically they couldn't compete with Murray, Nadal etc is neither here nor there - the version they compete in is excellent, but fatso Cowan would never say that either.

:agree: Don't normally watch much of the women's game but I did take time out to watch one of Laura Robson's games at Wimbledon and the accuracy of her shots was absolutely astonishing. And she's far from being at the top of that game.

BarneyK
29-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Presumably all the boxing feather-weights should be calling it a day as well cos the heavyweights would batter them?

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Thats irrelevant. Serena couldnt beat Andy Murray at tennis, but you dont get many editorials in national papers mocking womens tennis on that basis.

Lol how do you know? Andy hasnt played serena so your point is invalid! I actually thino serena would beat andy murray.

You are getting carried away now, step back from the keyboard!

BarneyK
29-09-2013, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch women's football either? What's wrong with that exactly?

Nothing at all. Then again I'm not sure that's what he said in his column is it.

Hibercelona
29-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Nothing at all. Then again I'm not sure that's what he said in his column is it.

Basically what he said was. "I never watch womans football, but think it's rubbish anyway".

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 11:05 AM
"The Scotland women's team would beat Hibs at the moment"

Congratulations !

In all the years I have been on hibs.net that statement really is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read !!!!!!! FAF!!!!!!

Keep them coming as I need a good laugh at the moment!!

You only needed to wait a short time for the Serena would beat Andy Murray at Tennis post.

.net comedy gold!

The Voice Of Reason
29-09-2013, 11:19 AM
You only needed to wait a short time for the Serena would beat Andy Murray at Tennis post.

.net comedy gold!

I still think the "Scotland women's team would beat the current Hibs team" post by Hibs7 wins it by a country mile!

Some of the utter tripe that is posted on here really is scary! Even scarier is that Hibs7 sounded as if she (I have to presume that she is female) really meant it !!!!!!

:faf::faf:

BarneyK
29-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Basically what he said was. "I never watch womans football, but think it's rubbish anyway".

You forgot - they've all got bigger baws than me. I think he covered the whole - they're really men (and possibly lesbians) - angle splendidly. Keep up the good work Tam.

Hibercelona
29-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I still think the "Scotland women's team would beat the current Hibs team" post by Hibs7 wins it by a country mile!

Some of the utter tripe that is posted on here really is scary! Even scarier is that Hibs7 sounded as if she (I have to presume that she is female) really meant it !!!!!!

What has you so convinced that they couldn't beat us?

Anybody can beat a team that just doesn't turn up.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 11:22 AM
But the physical limitations are paramount or it would be a mixed sport like showjumping or poker.

Again this totally misses the point. Women would not beat men at football. To claim they would is daft...same with other sports like athletics etc. But the point is the womens game in Scotland is going places and they are rising in the rankings in the womens game. I couldnt give two if some people dont like the womens game but you should never ever say that someone shouldnt play a sport based on gender. Its an argument from the dark ages and we are supposed to have evolved since then. Plenty on here havent though and i really hope they dont have sisters or ddaughters or even a disabled daughter. Imagine if your disabled daughter started playing Tennis? Would they likes of Sergey tell her not to bother cause its #pish?

The Voice Of Reason
29-09-2013, 11:26 AM
What has you so convinced that they couldn't beat us?

Anybody can beat a team that just doesn't turn up.

Oh please, stop it !!!!!!!!

:faf:

I am fully aware of how ordinary we are just now, but to suggest that the Scotland women's team would beat us is nothing short of ludicrous!!!!!! :aok:

BarneyK
29-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Who cares if they'd beat their male equivalents? It doesn't matter. The point is they have a right to play the game, and if anyone wants to host it or to broadcast it they have the right to that as well. Just as anyone has the right not to give too hoots about it. Futhermore, Tam Cowan has the right to be a dick in his personal life, but not in his media capacity. I think that about covers it...

Hibercelona
29-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh please, stop it !!!!!!!!

:faf:

I am fully aware of how ordinary we are just now, but to suggest that the Scotland women's team would beat us is nothing short of ludicrous!!!!!! :aok:

Ordinary? We were a far way from ordinary yesterday. You have to be mediocre to be ordinary, we fell well below mediocrity. We simply weren't in the game. You can't win a game against anybody, if you just aren't in the game.

Geo_1875
29-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Again this totally misses the point. Women would not beat men at football. To claim they would is daft...same with other sports like athletics etc. But the point is the womens game in Scotland is going places and they are rising in the rankings in the womens game. I couldnt give two if some people dont like the womens game but you should never ever say that someone shouldnt play a sport based on gender. Its an argument from the dark ages and we are supposed to have evolved since then. Plenty on here havent though and i really hope they dont havor ddghters or even a disabled daughter. Imagine if your disabled daughter started playing Tennis? Would they likes of Sergey tell her not to bother cause its #pish?

My point is that it is a different game because there is no level playing field due to the physical differences between the genders. I've no axe to grind with people wanting to encourage participation in sport by people of all ages, genders, abilities or disabilities. But to claim that these sports should have an equal footing with top level professional sportsmen does both levels a disservice.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 12:16 PM
My point is that it is a different game because there is no level playing field due to the physical differences between the genders. I've no axe to grind with people wanting to encourage participation in sport by people of all ages, genders, abilities or disabilities. But to claim that these sports should have an equal footing with top level professional sportsmen does both levels a disservice.

Of course it should have an equal footing. Is the womens 50m freestyle swimming record not as worthwhile as the mens? Whoever is at the top of any sport should be celebrated for what they achieve. Its not about mens football V womens football. That is main thing that some people including that clown Cowan are confusing here.

hibsbollah
29-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I was reading that Liverpool ladies team now trains four times a week, theyve had over £1 million spent on their facilities, bought some of the best players in the world from the USA, Sweden and Germany, and have sports scientists, nutritionalists, psychologists and all those professional elements that the mens team have. It is top level, professional sport, by any definition.

Hibbyradge
29-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Women's football isn't a spectator sport?

People watch fat, middle aged, often drunk men throw small missiles at a small circle of fibre.

Sometimes it's televised and folk even bet on it. :faf:

I'm not joking.

blackpoolhibs
29-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Women's football isn't a spectator sport?

People watch fat, middle aged, often drunk men throw small missiles at a small circle of fibre.

Sometimes it's televised and folk even bet on it. :faf:

I'm not joking.

Have you seen some of the women that play that game? :jamboak:

Hibs7
29-09-2013, 01:07 PM

It was said tongue in cheek to show how bad I think Hibs are at the moment, but like everything posted on here it is taken as gospel... The only thing I meant seriously was what I stated about cockhead Cowan !!!

Geo_1875
29-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Of course it should have an equal footing. Is the womens 50m freestyle swimming record not as worthwhile as the mens? Whoever is at the top of any sport should be celebrated for what they achieve. Its not about mens football V womens football. That is main thing that some people including that clown Cowan are confusing here.

But there is no sport of 50 m freestyle swimming. It is broken down by gender and age. I'd probably do quite well in the 50m freestyle swimming for fat blokes over 50 who were born in January and whose motherwas called Irene, but it wouldn't be the most exciting spectator sport and I wouldn't expect the government to subsidise my training regime.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Exactly!!! WOMENS Football! WOMENS u19 Football WOMENS u17 Football etc... No one is claiming it should be mixed. BUT it is a sport. Oh and as for subsidy its gets next to nothing and the players get almost zero even at the highest level in this country. The sport should be encouraged for the good of the health of our country. I really dont care less about people who arent involved in the game saying its #pish etc. Ignorance is bliss. anyway i'm trying to watch a very good game here.. ;-) 0-2 to Glasgow City.

StevieT
29-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I referee quite a bit of women's football. In the earlier years of their game, U13 and U15, they tend to have a better first touch than boys of the same age but the boys tend to be faster and stronger. I have refereed a few boys v girls games and each game has been a very interesting, skill v speed and strength.

The one area I feel the girls game is lesser than the boys is in goalkeeping. Maybe the boys prefer to throw themselves around more than the girls.

I have been fortunate enough to referee Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk, East Fife, Forfar and many other girls teams and in general I find it to be of a reasonable standard. Forfar Farmington U15 and U17 teams are excellent in their respective leagues and I would recommend giving it a go. Go watch a game instead of a pub game and see for yourself.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Glasgow City beat Hibs 4-0 to wrap up the SWPL.

StevieT
29-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Glasgow City are doing well this season at U17 level too.

Hibby D
29-09-2013, 05:43 PM
You forgot - they've all got bigger baws than me. I think he covered the whole - they're really men (and possibly lesbians) - angle splendidly. Keep up the good work Tam.

Stereotyping, denigrating, vilifying and disrespecting, all to create a bit of (contrived) controversy.

Funny my big fat hairy ass. He's about as funny as an ingrown toenail.

Dick!

SurferRosa
29-09-2013, 06:22 PM

I wouldn`t go out of my way to watch it either but does that mean that women have no right to play the game? That was what Cowan was suggesting and why people have taken offense at his article. Womens football is a growing sport both financially and in popularity and regardless whether we would go to watch it or not, thousands of others do. He chose to mock their sport because he think he`s a hilarious, media bigshot who can get away with being "controversial". Thankfully, he`s found out today that he`s just an unfunny bigmouth who cant.

Deansy
29-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Tam Cowan suspended by BBC over football column

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/tam-cowan-suspended-by-bbc-over-football-column-1-3117456

No doubt his new-found pals at the PBS will arrange a benefit-night to show their support for him !!

GreenCastle
29-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Glasgow City cherry pick all the best players from other Scottish clubs as they have the carrot of Champions League Football - if they didn't win the league there would be a problem.

Sir David Gray
29-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Not that it's relevant to the general topic of this thread, but Serena Williams would be fortunate to win a game against Andy Murray in a best of three sets match.

LancashireHibby
29-09-2013, 07:37 PM
This thread has now roped me in to an argument with a girl I work with who has been to watch Liverpool Women's win their league today. There were only 2,500 on yet it was the top story on the BBC News earlier and is the third highest story on the BBC Football website. All seems a bit disproportionate to me.

That's not to say that I agree with Cowan in the least. He's clearly after a bit of a bite and a bit of attention, but there does seem to be an over-eagerness from the BBC in particular to over-promote women's football when there are bigger crowds to be had in non-league men's football.

judas
29-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Saw inelegantly suggest. Eh? Is that even English?

Anyway, woman's football is grossly inferior to men's. Sorry, it just is. If the best Woman's team in Scotland could beat decent boys club in Scotland I would be surprised.

It's good when critics speak freely and honestly, especially when they are right.

Hibby D
29-09-2013, 07:47 PM

Anyway, woman's football is grossly inferior to men's. Sorry, it just is. If the best Woman's team in Scotland could beat decent boys club in Scotland I would be surprised.

It's good when critics speak freely and honestly, especially when they are right.

Dearie me. The whole point has completely missed you.

And no, he wasn't right. And neither are you.

And criticising a fellow Hibby over an obvious typo is pretty low!

marinello59
29-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Stereotyping, denigrating, vilifying and disrespecting, all to create a bit of (contrived) controversy.

Funny my big fat hairy ass. He's about as funny as an ingrown toenail.

Dick!
Well said D.
Isn't it bizzare that people these days will generally keep their racist views to theselves yet in 2013 we still have men who think airing their sexist and misogynistic views is smart and funny.
For those who seem unwilling to comprehend Cowan has not been suspended for saying Women's Fitba is weaker than the men's game. Nobody would disagree with that. He has been suspended for suggesting that over 50% of the population have no right to play the game we all love n the first place.

judas
29-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Don't be simple.

The Scotland woman's team would be demolished by even the current Hibs team. The difference is staggering.

judas
29-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I was reading that Liverpool ladies team now trains four times a week, theyve had over £1 million spent on their facilities, bought some of the best players in the world from the USA, Sweden and Germany, and have sports scientists, nutritionalists, psychologists and all those professional elements that the mens team have. It is top level, professional sport, by any definition.

And they would be pumped by lesser teams than Hibs.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Ok, great. The point is not whether a women's team could beat a men's team, but rather whether they have the right to play without being subjected to vitriolic, patronising nonsense from no-marks like Tam Cowan.

judas
29-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Ok, great. The point is not whether a women's team could beat a men's team, but rather whether they have the right to play without being subjected to vitriolic, patronising nonsense from no-marks like Tam Cowan.

Cowans criticism was amusing and largely correct.

It's a sad day when such mild controversy evokes such a reaction. There are infinitely more dangerous reviews in the Opinion section of any decent broadsheet, I haven't seen any of the authors receiving bans.

Wipe you eyes girls.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2013, 08:13 PM

It's a sad day when such mild controversy evokes such a reaction. There are infinitely more dangerous reviews in the Opinion section of any decent broadsheet, I haven't seen any of the authors receiving bans.

Wipe you eyes girls.

Yes, yes, women footballers all look like men, etc.

And he said snatch LOL!

Grow up.

Brightside
29-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Are you really this stupid? You just don't get the debate do you? Its got nothing to do with Men v Women. You've either not read Cowans piece or you are too thick to pick up on his disdain for women in sport.

Phil D. Rolls
29-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Wipe you eyes girls.

The man tries too hard to be funny. It was childish, at the very least he needs to have it pointed out that he has missed the mark.

judas
29-09-2013, 08:19 PM
That is silly and disrespectful.

Aw. Bless.

Phil D. Rolls
29-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Aw. Bless.

No problem, welling up with tears of pride at your commitment to a lost cause. This thread will make you stronger. I'm sure you're very proud. Views like yours belong in Bulgaria.

The Falcon
29-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes, yes, women footballers all look like men, etc.

And he said snatch LOL!

Grow up.

If he was telling a young woman she looked like a man on Facebook would that be funny, or bullying?

Attitudes like his are why Scotland is a backwater.

judas
29-09-2013, 08:27 PM
The man tries too hard to be funny. It was childish, at the very least he needs to have it pointed out that he has missed the mark.

'Aye, give me an hour of some dreary Highlander reciting poems about the fishing industry – in Gaelic – any day of the week. Incredibly, the game was live on telly AND radio!'

Thought that was quite funny. TC also thought the game was a closed doors one. Thought that was amusing too. I guess humour is a subjective thing, with heavyweight intellectuals like you having the casting vote on what really fits the bill.

I feel that views should be expressed with a reasonable amount of freedom. Sorry but TC may not be everyone's cup of tea (and he has irritated me a few times), but this is hardly the Watergate scandal.

Again wipe yer eyes.

Hiber-nation
29-09-2013, 08:30 PM
'Aye, give me an hour of some dreary Highlander reciting poems about the fishing industry – in Gaelic – any day of the week. Incredibly, the game was live on telly AND radio!'

Thought that was quite funny. TC also thought the game was a closed doors one. Thought that was amusing too. I guess humour is a subjective thing, with heavyweight intellectuals like you having the casting vote on what really fits the bill.

I feel that views should be expressed with a reasonable amount of freedom. Sorry but TC may not be everyone's cup of tea (and he has irritated me a few times), but this is hardly the Watergate scandal.

Again wipe yer eyes.

I don't like watching women's football but you are slowly attracting me to it.

chrisski33
29-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Not that it's relevant to the general topic of this thread, but Serena Williams would be fortunate to win a game against Andy Murray in a best of three sets match.

You cant say that if they have never played each other can you! I beg to differ serena williams can win a game against murray. He aint that good

judas
29-09-2013, 08:33 PM
No problem, welling up with tears of pride at your commitment to a lost cause. This thread will make you stronger. I'm sure you're very proud. Views like yours belong in Bulgaria.

19507 posts. I would have expected more.

You can spend the night pontificating (see if you can make 20000).

I,m off

judas
29-09-2013, 08:34 PM
You cant say that if they have never played each other can you! I beg to differ serena williams can win a game against murray. He aint that good

Just one last s******.

Now I really am off. Enjoy.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Don't feed the troll!

hibsbollah
29-09-2013, 08:36 PM

:hilarious

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2013, 08:38 PM

:top marks

Hibby 2005
29-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I think Tam and Judas must be related.

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I think Tam and Judas must be related.

Sisters.

Twa Cairpets
29-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Apologies for the typo - should have read "so inelegantly suggest..."

Is the top level of women's football of a lower overall standard to the men's equivalent -yes, of course it is. it's played by bio-mechanically different humans who are on average considerably less fast or strong. Men's football has many more participants, greater coverage and history, and is of course professional. It rightly has more coverage. That is not the argument here and is not the source of the anger over Cowans column and some of the responses on this thread.

Your last statement of sneering dismissal is what the issue is. You speak I'm assuming from a position of almost total ignorance of the standard of the women's game, and whether or not your point is correct it doesn't matter a flying jolt. The analogy with women's tennis or golf or other single sex sport is entirely correct - no-one is asking for special treatment, just to be recognised without stupid, unfunny prejudice.

Hibby D. Teary eyed liberal do gooder.
Get aff yer pedestal

Wipe you eyes girls.

I assume you don't have a daughter? I further hope that you never have one, if that contemptuous drivel is truly your opinion and not just trolling.
What bit of the piece was correct? The bit about burning down the stadium to cleanse it of the contamination of female football? Maybe the funny bit about the Bosnian keeper having baws. Was it the line about him looking at a few snatches the thing that had you chortling?

It's much more of a sad day to my mind when views like Cowans, masquerading as humour (and he has previous by the way - if you want more of Cowan's great comedy look back for his opinion on Gretna women's team a few years back) are accepted without a peep as that means it is accepted as being a fair, mainstream view. There are those like you who agree, and that's fine, but the reaction show's me that it's the minority.

My daughter plays football to a high standard, training 3-4 times per week. She has played mixed football for 6 years as well as girls only. I showed her the article and she was fuming. She says its bad enough when she hear's this type of crap on a pitch like "haw wee man you just got beat by a lassie" (maybe it was you judas, i don't know) without seeing it in a newspaper.

The reason for the reaction, again, is that is has the reach and potential to re-inforce misogynistic views like yours, back up ignorance, and hold back the development of girls playing a game they love every bit as much as boys. You seem to think that just because they are female they shouldn't be allowed to even try to develop to the best they can, and that is a deeply dangerous stance.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Cowan won't be anywhere near a women's match - surely another great selling point!

What a divit - any fool can be controversial just ask Mikey Stewart. #LowestCommonDenominator

nonshinyfinish
29-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Is the top level of women's football of a lower overall standard to the men's equivalent -yes, of course it is. it's played by bio-mechanically different humans who are on average considerably less fast or strong. Men's football has many more participants, greater coverage and history, and is of course professional. It rightly has more coverage. That is not the argument here and is not the source of the anger over Cowans column and some of the responses on this thread.

Your last statement of sneering dismissal is what the issue is. You speak I'm assuming from a position of almost total ignorance of the standard of the women's game, and whether or not your point is correct it doesn't matter a flying jolt. The analogy with women's tennis or golf or other single sex sport is entirely correct - no-one is asking for special treatment, just to be recognised without stupid, unfunny prejudice.

I assume you don't have a daughter? I further hope that you never have one, if that contemptuous drivel is truly your opinion and not just trolling.
What bit of the piece was correct? The bit about burning down the stadium to cleanse it of the contamination of female football? Maybe the funny bit about the Bosnian keeper having baws. Was it the line about him looking at a few snatches the thing that had you chortling?

It's much more of a sad day to my mind when views like Cowans, masquerading as humour (and he has previous by the way - if you want more of Cowan's great comedy look back for his opinion on Gretna women's team a few years back) are accepted without a peep as that means it is accepted as being a fair, mainstream view. There are those like you who agree, and that's fine, but the reaction show's me that it's the minority.

My daughter plays football to a high standard, training 3-4 times per week. She has played mixed football for 6 years as well as girls only. I showed her the article and she was fuming. She says its bad enough when she hear's this type of crap on a pitch like "haw wee man you just got beat by a lassie" (maybe it was you judas, i don't know) without seeing it in a newspaper.

The reason for the reaction, again, is that is has the reach and potential to re-inforce misogynistic views like yours, back up ignorance, and hold back the development of girls playing a game they love every bit as much as boys. You seem to think that just because they are female they shouldn't be allowed to even try to develop to the best they can, and that is a deeply dangerous stance.

Out of the park, TC, out of the park.

weonlywon6-2
29-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Its just typical cowan,hes only trying to wind people up.......and he has succeeded

Sir David Gray
29-09-2013, 09:03 PM

Wow!

Genuinely speechless here.

Geo_1875
29-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Its just typical cowan,hes only trying to wind people up.......and he has succeeded

People like Cowan shouldn't have a public platform for his archaic opinions. If he thinks he's funny he should join the comedy circuit and see who laughs.

Phil D. Rolls
29-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Maybe he's overstepped the mark, like Jonathan Ross did? Someone coming out with nonsense like that makes you cringe.

Jonnyboy
29-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Wipe you eyes girls.

That'll be why the BBC booted him into touch. They clearly didn't get his 'jokes'

Hibbyradge
29-09-2013, 10:17 PM

Excellent.

:flag:

The Green Goblin
29-09-2013, 10:22 PM
The views in Cowan's article belong in the 70s or earlier. So out of date it was almost boring to read such backwards, desperate attempts to be "funny". Women's football is flourishing worldwide and rightly so.

Hibby D
29-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by judas
Hibby D. Teary eyed liberal do gooder.
Get aff yer pedestal

Ooh get under your skin just a bit did I?

No tears, no pedestal and certainly no liberal.

But I can spot a dickhead :wink:

Hibby D
29-09-2013, 10:35 PM
19507 posts.

I,m off

"I,m"

Is that even English? :greengrin

Leishy1995
30-09-2013, 12:00 AM
I get guys who played football with my sister in a boys side years ago telling me she's the best player they lined up beside. Some off those players are now on the books at our under 21s.

Velma Dinkley
30-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Some of the opinions on here are staggeringly stupid and it's no surprise that the people talking rubbish about women's football are the same people who talk rubbish on evert other thread. Men's football in scotland has been in decline for decades. Women's football is developing nicely. It would be nice if football fans would get behind the development of all football in scotland.

weonlywon6-2
30-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Maybe he's overstepped the mark, like Jonathan Ross did? Someone coming out with nonsense like that makes you cringe.

He does make me cringe but he has done it to get a reaction and attention

Still a fud all the same

Stonewall
30-09-2013, 06:01 AM

judas - It's obviously a typo and a real cheap shot.

In fact you've also made a mistake in your reply. ie "...beat a decent..."

I think your views have been demolished fairly effectively by other posters on this thread so I'll just confine myself to saying that if you are serious and not just on the wind-up then I think you have a problem. You are willfully missing the point which is not about relative standards but the right to respect that anyone who is serious about their sport deserves. Surely you can't argue that sport is a positive activity and people should be encouraged to participate irrespective of gender, race, disability etc.

I stopped listening to Off The Ball years ago because of Cowan's tiresome and unfunny, views and prejudices. The article doesn't really go any further than comments he has made before just removes the suspicion that he didn't really mean it and was after a cheap laugh.

On the other hand it's good to have the debate.

Geo_1875
30-09-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't think anybody has argued against everybody having the right to participate in their chosen sport. The debate has wandered into the relative merits of different levels of said sports. Personally, if I want to watch the best performances in any given sport I'd have to watch the men's version. That's not to say that watching women strive to achieve the best possible result in their own event can't be entertaining.

If the debate had stayed on whether Tam Cowan is a sexist dinosaur, as well as a boring dickhead, it would have been a short thread

Hibby D
30-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Tam Cowan has been cornered into apologising. It's as absurd an apology as the original article was.

And the last sentence beggars belief.

I don't actively watch women's football. Thanks to this thread I'll probably not by-pass it in future if I see it on the telly.

Phil MaGlass
30-09-2013, 10:00 AM

I agree with you 100%, But I think womens fitba is uninteresting, mainly inskilful and a waste of 90 minutes of my time, its not for everyone.
I would also like to add if the Hibs team had played anywhere near the same level as Hibs ladies, against Inverness at the weekend, we may well have came away with a point.

I did¶nt know that the Daily Record still existed or that someone was stupid enough to give Tam Cowan a job.

stu in nottingham
30-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Tam Cowan has been cornered into apologising. It's as absurd an apology as the original article was.

And the last sentence beggars belief.

The last sentence was an 'I'm right anyway and in spite of writing a ''retraction'' I'm still of the same opinion' statement.

It's a generally pathetic response and makes him look even more of a jerk, if that's possible.

Leishy1995
30-09-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-man-say-row-2322534

His little sister was a cracking player apparently

Julie Fleeting could play for the men, but he forgot it was him who said it.

He's sorry and will donate too the women's football funding

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 10:09 AM
his apology is absolutely worthless

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I would also like to add if the Hibs team had played anywhere near the same level as Hibs ladies, against Inverness at the weekend, we may well have came away with a point.

No we wouldn't.

SlickShoes
30-09-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't think anybody has argued against everybody having the right to participate in their chosen sport. The debate has wandered into the relative merits of different levels of said sports. Personally, if I want to watch the best performances in any given sport I'd have to watch the men's version. That's not to say that watching women strive to achieve the best possible result in their own event can't be entertaining.

If the debate had stayed on whether Tam Cowan is a sexist dinosaur, as well as a boring dickhead, it would have been a short thread

You just described watching hibs.

If I wanted to watch the best performers in the field of Football, I don't think I would be at Easter Road very often.

You don't simply watch sports to see the best in world compete all the time, it's impressive to see but 90% of the time I watch any sport the people involved aren't even the best in the city nevermind the best in the world.

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree with you 100%, But I think womens fitba is uninteresting, mainly inskilful and a waste of 90 minutes of my time, its not for everyone.

I did¶nt know that the Daily Record still existed or that someone was stupid enough to give Tam Cowan a job.

That's fair enough. While I want to promote it particularly at grassroots and youth level, if its not what people are interested in that's fine.

I would challenge the "unskilful" bit though. There are some sensational players coming through, and the technical aspects of the game are, generally, more to the fore than the physical ones in women's compared to men's football. Best game from a technical point of view I've refereed in the last 3 years or so was a Hibs Girls U17 game. Just superb stuff.

Brightside
30-09-2013, 10:33 AM
That's fair enough. While I want to promote it particularly at grassroots and youth level, if its not what people are interested in that's fine.

I would challenge the "unskilful" bit though. There are some sensational players coming through, and the technical aspects of the game are, generally, more to the fore than the physical ones in women's compared to men's football. Best game from a technical point of view I've refereed in the last 3 years or so was a Hibs Girls U17 game. Just superb stuff.

Totally agree and this is something people will only know if they watch the games. u17 and u15 is MORE skilfull than boys football. Boys will be stronger and faster but they are not more skilfull in the main.

BarneyK
30-09-2013, 10:34 AM
You just described watching hibs.

If I wanted to watch the best performers in the field of Football, I don't think I would be at Easter Road very often.

You don't simply watch sports to see the best in world compete all the time, it's impressive to see but 90% of the time I watch any sport the people involved aren't even the best in the city nevermind the best in the world.

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2013, 10:46 AM
He does make me cringe but he has done it to get a reaction and attention

Still a fud all the same

Which he has pretty much admitted in his apology.

He has a right to dislike watching women's football, but I think he was wrong to imply that women are inferior. I think his apology needs a bit more grovelling, but at least he has made one.

joe breezy
30-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Tam Cowan is a fat mess from another era - I think he's actually younger than me, scarily.

I know guys from Motherwell from the soul and casuals scene older than me far cooler than that doughnut.

He is one of these old before his time people. His views belong in the 60s when he wasn't even born - I like some aspects of his radio show with Stuart Cosgrove but if he is forced to retire because of this hard lines.

TowerHibs
30-09-2013, 10:51 AM

His apology is worthless but the original column isn't??????

So people have taken him seriously on saturday are now no longer on the monday???

If anything i think it shows he was taking the mic (albeit poorly) on sat when indeed he has previous statements contradicting everything he wrote on saturday. If u read his columns its always full of gash, he doesnt pretend that hes the funniest guy going. Think the personal abuse from some on here claiming to be insulted by TC is pathetic.

Move on

Geo_1875
30-09-2013, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=SlickShoes;3760851]You just described watching hibs.

You don't simply watch sports to see the best in world compete all the time, it's impressive to see but 90% of the time I watch any sport the people involved aren't even the best in the city nevermind the best in the world.[/Q

I don't support Hibs because I expect to see world cup stars and champions league football but that's a different argument. Football Is not played on a handicap basis, hence the league structures. Everybody finds their own level. I just don't see where women's teams would comfortably survive in that structure.

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't support Hibs because I expect to see world cup stars and champions league football but that's a different argument. Football Is not played on a handicap basis, hence the league structures. Everybody finds their own level. I just don't see where women's teams would comfortably survive in that structure.

Hang on. Am I reading this right?
On the assumption that women's football is poorer than mens, your problem is that women's game should not be allowed/promoted/backed/supported because it wouldn't fit easily within a mixed sex environment?

What a pointless point.

Splitting matches after u14 along gender lines is not artificial handicapping, its splitting along gender lines. If every sport was viewed in this way, then there would essentially be no women at the top of any sport - no-one is suggesting that the physical advantage men have over women, certainly at elite level, will pretty much always mean they are the best/fastest/strongest.

No-one as far as I know is campaigning to introduce Glasgow City into the Juniors. It's a real strawman argument.

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2013, 11:18 AM
All he said was, "that Halibut was fit for Jehova".

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 11:25 AM
His apology is worthless but the original column isn't??????

So people have taken him seriously on saturday are now no longer on the monday???

If anything i think it shows he was taking the mic (albeit poorly) on sat when indeed he has previous statements contradicting everything he wrote on saturday. If u read his columns its always full of gash, he doesnt pretend that hes the funniest guy going. Think the personal abuse from some on here claiming to be insulted by TC is pathetic.

Move on

awww ok boss, will do:boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras
30-09-2013, 11:53 AM

If he meant it sincerely he wouldn't have got a wee dig in just at the end. How old is he?

TowerHibs
30-09-2013, 12:11 PM
awww ok boss, will do:boo hoo:

as mature as the guy your slating

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 12:14 PM
as mature as the guy your slating

move on

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2013, 12:23 PM
If he meant it sincerely he wouldn't have got a wee dig in just at the end. How old is he?

I keep looking for this twist at the end of his apology. His line line was that he'd be keeping his mouth shut about women's football in future.

GraniteCityHibs
30-09-2013, 12:25 PM
This thread is an absolute car crash. Embarrassing.

Expected response: Don't read it then.

Brightside
30-09-2013, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=SlickShoes;3760851]You just described watching hibs.

You don't simply watch sports to see the best in world compete all the time, it's impressive to see but 90% of the time I watch any sport the people involved aren't even the best in the city nevermind the best in the world.[/Q

arghhhhhh. It wil survive on its own platform. They are not looking to share a platform with Mens Football. The leagues will never mix and never should.

allezsauzee
30-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Wow! 9 pages and counting over Tam Cowan having a wee joke at the expense of women's football...and I've always been told you needed a sense of humour to support Hibs!

CropleyWasGod
30-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Actual response......

I have never been embarrassed by a car crash.

GraniteCityHibs
30-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Actual response......

I have never been embarrassed by a car crash.

Not your best.

Hibbyradge
30-09-2013, 12:47 PM

What are you embarrassed about?

Viva_Palmeiras
30-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I keep looking for this twist at the end of his apology. His line line was that he'd be keeping his mouth shut about women's football in future.

"I’ve often said I wouldn’t open the curtains if a women’s football match was being played in my back garden.

From now on, the curtains willprobably still remain shut."

He's not changing his views on women's football - he's just not shouting it from the rooftops or penning it for his column.