PDA

View Full Version : NHC Tam Cowan on Women's Football

Pages : 1 [2]

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 12:49 PM
This thread is an absolute car crash. Embarrassing.

Expected response: Don't read it then.

1) You've answered you own question - it does seem somewhat straightforward to ignore something you're not interested in.
2) What is embarrassing about it?
3) What elements of it, in internet terms, make it a "car crash"?

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Wow! 9 pages and counting over Tam Cowan having a wee joke at the expense of women's football...and I've always been told you needed a sense of humour to support Hibs!

How about we have a wee joke about how them darkies don't play so well in winter cos its cold?

easty
30-09-2013, 12:53 PM
How about we have a wee joke about how them darkies don't play so well in winter cos its cold?

That would be untrue though, whereas to say womens football is ***** wouldnt.

allezsauzee
30-09-2013, 12:54 PM

on your own head be it, but i wouldnt expect a favourable response

Phil D. Rolls
30-09-2013, 12:56 PM
"I’ve often said I wouldn’t open the curtains if a women’s football match was being played in my back garden.

From now on, the curtains willprobably still remain shut."

He's not changing his views on women's football - he's just not shouting it from the rooftops or penning it for his column.

He's entitled to his views on women's football. What he wasn't entitled to do was to objectify women and speak about them in a patronising way, he apologised for that. I honestly think he did just about enough grovelling to make it clear he knew where he'd gone wrong.

--------
30-09-2013, 01:00 PM
his apology is absolutely worthless

I agree - it's not so much an apology as a snivelling exercise in self-justification, probably in hopes of saving his BBC job (and income).

He's basically saying what all unreconstructed morons say when they're caught out - "Haw, can nae o ye's take a joke?" And deflecting attention from his own obscene opinions to things other folks have said about him. That's not an apology.

The BBC shouldn't have suspended him.

They should have sacked him on the spot.

It occurred to me last night that way back in the 1870's Mr Cowan's great-great-great-grandfather could have written a similar "tongue-in-cheek" editorial about how appalling it was that Irish Catholic boys were being allowed to play on the hallowed turf of good Proddy football clubs when everyone knew that they weren't nearly as good as the Proddy boys.

And besides, in those days it was accepted that Catholics - especially Irish ones - shouldn't be ALLOWED to play football, period.

If some broader-minded, less bigoted souls hadn't persevered in the formation of a certain football club, dear Tam and his like might still be writing similar rubbish today.

This isn't a joke - it's even less funny, if that's possible, than what passes for 'humour' in Cowan's apology for a brain. Nor is it a storm in a teacup, or much ado about nothing.

The idea that human beings should be prevented from taking part in an organised sport on grounds of race, religion, or gender has no place in a free society.

And some of the posters on this thread should take a hard look at themselves and their attitudes.

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Wow it's only a wee joke at their expense based on outdated stereotypes from the seventies. And I thought you needed a sense of humour to support Hibs.

Brightside
30-09-2013, 01:06 PM
ever wonder why we dont have many "asians" playing football after youth level? A quick look on forums will tell you why. Still far to many backward human beings in our country that are scared of anything away from the norm.

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I agree - it's not so much an apology as a snivelling exercise in self-justification, probably in hopes of saving his BBC job (and income).

He's basically saying what all unreconstructed morons say when they're caught out - "Haw, can nae o ye's take a joke?" And deflecting attention from his own obscene opinions to things other folks have said about him. That's not an apology.

It occurred to me last night that way back in the 1870's Mr Cowan's great-great-great-grandfather could have written a similar "tongue-in-cheek" editorial about how appalling it was that Irish Catholic boys were being allowed to play on the hallowed turf of good Proddy football clubs when everyone knew that they weren't nearly as good as the Proddy boys.

And besides, in those days it was accepted that Catholics - especially Irish ones - shouldn't be ALLOWED to play football, period.

If some broader-minded, less bigoted souls hadn't persevered in the formation of a certain football club, dear Tam and his like might still be writing similar rubbish today.

This isn't a joke - it's even less funny, if that's possible, than what passes for 'humour' in Cowan's apology for a brain. Nor is it a storm in a teacup, or much ado about nothing.

The idea that human beings should be prevented from taking part in an organised sport on grounds of race, religion, or gender has no place in a free society.

And some of the posters on this thread should take a hard look at themselves and their attitudes.

Spot on Doddie.

--------
30-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Or Muslim players and their irritating habit of observing Ramadan during the football season? :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
30-09-2013, 01:27 PM

:aok:

I love sport - I don't love every sport - even if I had the opportunity I wouldn't submit a story to the national press slating a sport which is growing - improving - actively getting people involved and in a country full of many yobs and a drinking / unhealthy culture - why are we not encouraging girls to do sport and stay active / healthy.

Many posters on this thread still clearly show the ancient opinions about women and girls football and it's embarrassing.

Cowan is very ignorant about a subject he knows little about and I hope people don't buy the Record as it's a joke of a paper and it's not the first time it's published complete nonsense.

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 01:32 PM
If he meant it sincerely he wouldn't have got a wee dig in just at the end. How old is he?

which is more or less word for word what i had typed in my original reply to the poster at the top of this page doddie, but...i decided against wasting anymore typing ink and just 'moved on' instead :greengrin

Hibby D
30-09-2013, 01:35 PM

:agree:

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 01:35 PM
If he meant it sincerely he wouldn't have got a wee dig in just at the end. How old is he?

44, which converted in to inches is approx the width of his mouth :greengrin

Geo_1875
30-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Hang on. Am I reading this right?
On the assumption that women's football is poorer than mens, your problem is that women's game should not be allowed/promoted/backed/supported because it wouldn't fit easily within a mixed sex environment?

What a pointless point.

Splitting matches after u14 along gender lines is not artificial handicapping, its splitting along gender lines. If every sport was viewed in this way, then there would essentially be no women at the top of any sport - no-one is suggesting that the physical advantage men have over women, certainly at elite level, will pretty always mean they are the best/fastest/strongest.

No-one as far as I know is campaigning to introduce Glasgow City into the Juniors. It's a real strawman argument.

That's not my point and I think you knew that. Women are entitled to play football and any other sport but I can't believe that it should be held up as equal to the men's game. It is called women's football because it is a different sport. It may be entertaining to it's fans buy not to me.It's the same with women's basketball and women's cricket, they play to the same rules but not to the same standard. If you think that's sexist or denigrating to the participants then sorry but that doesn't make me wrong.

GreenCastle
30-09-2013, 01:52 PM
That's not my point and I think you knew that. Women are entitled to play football and any other sport but I can't believe that it should be held up as equal to the men's game. It is called women's football because it is a different sport. It may be entertaining to it's fans buy not to me.It's the same with women's basketball and women's cricket, they play to the same rules but not to the same standard. If you think that's sexist or denigrating to the participants then sorry but that doesn't make me wrong.

It's the same sport surely? 11v11 - 90 mins etc - only difference is men and women play in different teams / leagues?

Brightside
30-09-2013, 01:56 PM

I dont have an issue with that...apart from "same standard". As you rightly say they are different sports. With focus on different parts of the game. They therefore measure standard in a different manner. Ive no doubt that none of the top ladies team would manage to bring out the defensive boring mistake ridden football we watch most weeks at Easter Rd. But they are excellent at playing fast flowing, exciting football. If they played it the same way most Mens teams do I doubt anyone would ever play the game! :wink:

Brightside
30-09-2013, 01:59 PM
It's the same sport surely? 11v11 - 90 mins etc - only difference is men and women play in different teams / leagues?

played in a very different manner tho...

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 02:17 PM

To be honest I wasnt sure...

I've gone out of may way to say that mens football is "better" if by better you mean that a top mens team would beat a top womens team. Of course they would, for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

Its not sexist or denigrating in the slightest to not enjoy it on the basis of it being the same sport played differently if its not to your taste. Women's football is not as fast, its not as physical, but the definition of whether it's better or not not is actually largely philosophical. Is it better to watch Barca keep the ball or Chelsea play 10 behind the ball and deny creativity? You could argue that was better because it was more successful.

No-one, I dont think, is trying to hold it up to be the "equal" of the mens game. It is different. it's not a different sport as such - and to argue over this is just bandying semantics - its the same game with the same laws with the same equipment just played in a manner that suits female athletes better. If you like it, great. If you don't, no problem. The line is drawn at actively disparaging it on the basis of ignorance, prejudice, overt sexism all masked as a kind of blokey "lets-all-point-at-the-silly-girlies-trying-to-play-football" style joke.

However, while the physical barrier will always be there, the technical barrier won't be. Watch back some of the games in the Olympics - especially USA v Canada, and tell me that as football neutral, that wasn't a game on a comparison with the best mens game in terms of skill, pace, excitement and drama. As the game grows, the gap will close here too.

IanM
30-09-2013, 02:29 PM
when the womans european fitba was on the BBC presenters were asked for their 'highlight'. some ex england woman pro said her best moment was some Swedish striker scored in the semi final and it was a well taken goal and it would have been goal of the tournament........................................ ......... if it wasn't given as offside..

to me, if the highlight of the tournament is an offside goal then it's not worth a pish..

but that probably got more to do with the standard of bbc presenter than tournament... i think

IanM
30-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Today there are 29 million women and girls playing football worldwide.
Football is a sport for you too – come along with your friends and help us to grow this number!
The game is fun, easy and fair. If you are interested in keeping fit, healthy and cool then football is the sport for you.
Join a local team and who knows – maybe you will be representing your country at the next FIFA Women’s World Cup™ in Canada in 2015!

Taken from Fifa womens football site..

what a load of *****

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Football is a sport for you too – come along with your friends and help us to grow this number!
The game is fun, easy and fair. If you are interested in keeping fit, healthy and cool then football is the sport for you.
Join a local team and who knows – maybe you will be representing your country at the next FIFA Women’s World Cup™ in Canada in 2015!

what a load of *****

So, which is it then.

Cropley10
30-09-2013, 02:38 PM
All he said was, "that Halibut was fit for Jehova".

Precisely.

And as Strummer & Jones once put it, "You have the right to free speech as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it".

Part/Time Supporter
30-09-2013, 02:45 PM

what a load of *****

Which part?

Cowan's main objection to women's football seemed to be that it doesn't draw much of a crowd (in Scotland, at least). If the established Scottish (men's) clubs were just starting out and people hadn't gone to watch them for most of their lives, how many people do you think would go to watch them? Look at the struggle that ICT have had to build attendance, for example. And they at least had the history of the separate clubs before the merger and have the benefit of far greater coverage locally and nationally.

As for his "apology" today, it's your classic "I still think what I thought when I wrote it, but if you're so tightly wound up that you need an apology to make you feel better, I'll give you one".

--------
30-09-2013, 02:50 PM
To be honest I wasnt sure...

I've gone out of may way to say that mens football is "better" if by better you mean that a top mens team would beat a top womens team. Of course they would, for all the reasons that have been mentioned.

Its not sexist or denigrating in the slightest to not enjoy it on the basis of it being the same sport played differently if its not to your taste. Women's football is not as fast, its not as physical, but the definition of whether it's better or not not is actually largely philosophical. Is it better to watch Barca keep the ball or Chelsea play 10 behind the ball and deny creativity? You could argue that was better because it was more successful.

No-one, I dont think, is trying to hold it up to be the "equal" of the mens game. It is different. it's not a different sport as such - and to argue over this is just bandying semantics - its the same game with the same laws with the same equipment just played in a manner that suits female athletes better. If you like it, great. If you don't, no problem. The line is drawn at actively disparaging it on the basis of ignorance, prejudice, overt sexism all masked as a kind of blokey "lets-all-point-at-the-silly-girlies-trying-to-play-football" style joke.

However, while the physical barrier will always be there, the technical barrier won't be. Watch back some of the games in the Olympics - especially USA v Canada, and tell me that as football neutral, that wasn't a game on a comparison with the best mens game in terms of skill, pace, excitement and drama. As the game grows, the gap will close here too.

I didn't watch a lot of the Olympics - swimming and athletics, male or female, sailing, rowing, weightlifting and so on don't interest me - but I did watch three sports fairly extensively - fencing (because I used to be a fencer), tennis, men's and women's, because I enjoy it, and football.

In the case of the football the standard of some of the men's games was such that I lost interest in them - the games didn't compare to European Championship, World Cup or Champions' League games. And I really couldn't have cared less about "Team GB", frankly.

The women's games, on the other hand, surprised me. This was the first time I had watched a tournament, following teams through successive rounds and getting to know individual players by name. The knock-out stages were, in my opinion, the best matches of all the Olympic football, male or female, and the strength, stamina and technique of the players easily bore comparison with high-level men's football.

The one thing I would say about those games was that the standard of goalkeeping was lower than in the men's game; however, since most male goalkeepers at any decent professional level tend to be 6'3" and upwards and built like brick s***houses, this could be accounted for simply by the fact that female goalkeepers aren't as tall or as muscular as their male counterparts.

In fencing, tennis and football I came to the conclusion that while the women's events were 'different' mainly because of the difference between male and female physique, there was no difference in the quality of play. You mention USA-Canada. I watched that match - it was a tremendous advertisement for the women's game. It was watched by a big crowd, men and women, and was as competitive as any match I've seen in a long. long time.

But then if the USA took on Canada in a spelling bee, blood would be shed.

Of course I would back a top European men's side like Arsenal or Barca or Bayern Munich to beat either of those sides; I wouldn't be too sure about any of the SPFL teams surviving, though. :wink:

I would seriously pay big bucks to watch Tam Cowan or any of those defending or excusing him trying to explain to the USA and Canada ladies' association football squads that they're wee girlies, probably lesbians, trespassing into a male domain.

Have you seen "Murderball"?

Maybe Tam should do explain to those guys why people in wheelchairs shouldn't play contact sports ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaT5dDiISw

Brightside
30-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Any of anti- on here want to hazard a guess on the current coach of the Scotland U19s ladies team.

JimBHibees
30-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Any of anti- on here want to hazard a guess on the current coach of the Scotland U19s ladies team.

Gareth Evans isnt it?

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Gareth Evans isnt it?

yup :agree:

JimBHibees
30-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I didn't watch a lot of the Olympics - swimming and athletics, male or female, sailing, rowing, weightlifting and so on don't interest me - but I did watch three sports fairly extensively - fencing (because I used to be a fencer), tennis, men's and women's, because I enjoy it, and football.

In the case of the football the standard of some of the men's games was such that I lost interest in them - the games didn't compare to European Championship, World Cup or Champions' League games. And I really couldn't have cared less about "Team GB", frankly.

The women's games, on the other hand, surprised me. This was the first time I had watched a tournament, following teams through successive rounds and getting to know individual players by name. The knock-out stages were, in my opinion, the best matches of all the Olympic football, male or female, and the strength, stamina and technique of the players easily bore comparison with high-level men's football.

The one thing I would say about those games was that the standard of goalkeeping was lower than in the men's game; however, since most male goalkeepers at any decent professional level tend to be 6'3" and upwards and built like brick s***houses, this could be accounted for simply by the fact that female goalkeepers aren't as tall or as muscular as their male counterparts.

In fencing, tennis and football I came to the conclusion that while the women's events were 'different' mainly because of the difference between male and female physique, there was no difference in the quality of play. You mention USA-Canada. I watched that match - it was a tremendous advertisement for the women's game. It was watched by a big crowd, men and women, and was as competitive as any match I've seen in a long. long time.

Of course I would back a top European men's side like Arsenal or Barca or Bayern Munich to beat either of those sides; I wouldn't be too sure about any of the SPFL teams surviving, though. :wink:

I would seriously pay big bucks to watch Tam Cowan or any of those defending or excusing him trying to explain to the USA and Canada ladies' association football squads that they're wee girlies, probably lesbians, trespassing into a male domain.

Maybe Tam should do explain to those guys why people in wheelchairs shouldn't play contact sports ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uybm74B20i8

Fabulous game of football only tarnished IMO by some inexplicable refereeing decisions which hugely favoured the US.

--------
30-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Fabulous game of football only tarnished IMO by some inexplicable refereeing decisions which hugely favoured the US.

Yup. Craigie Thomson himself couldn't have done worse.

And they're trying to tell us it isn't the same game as the men play.

Brightside
30-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Gareth Evans isnt it?

Indeed - cant imagine why the man would want to waste his time and his Uefa Pro License on this "pi$h"

--------
30-09-2013, 03:14 PM
when the womans european fitba was on the BBC presenters were asked for their 'highlight'. some ex england woman pro said her best moment was some Swedish striker scored in the semi final and it was a well taken goal and it would have been goal of the tournament........................................ ......... if it wasn't given as offside..

to me, if the highlight of the tournament is an offside goal then it's not worth a pish..

but that probably got more to do with the standard of bbc presenter than tournament... i think

You're right. Women shouldn't be involved in football in any way.

I mean, you never hear any male commentators/summarisers coming out with anything but sound intelligent good sense.

Andy Gray, Andy Townsend, Billy Dodds, Lawro and Tyldesley - come on down .....

And you're right - that comment had nothing to do with the quality of the tournament. The quality of the tournament was excellent.

But then she wasn't asked what her GOAL of the tournament was - she was asked what her best moment was, and she answered.

One of my most memorable moments of last season was Sparky's disallowed free-kick against Hearts. Disallowed or not, it was a cracking strike and stays in my memory. Does that mean I know nothing about the game?

(Think carefully before you answer that. :wink: )

cabbageandribs1875
30-09-2013, 03:21 PM
i fully expect tam cowan to be back at the off the ball table pretty soon, with stuart cosgrove and the odd guest making little references about this episode to cowan every now and then...just to raise a wee laugh likesey

GreenCastle
30-09-2013, 04:24 PM
played in a very different manner tho...

Doesn't matter if it's played in a different manner :confused:

Is Women's Tennis not tennis ? Is men's tennis not tennis ? Tennis is tennis...Football is football.

This nonsense about it being a different sport is ridiculous :yawn:

Gareth Evans is also doing very well and enjoying the experience and fresh approach the women's game currently has with the u19's.

Andy74
30-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Is Women's Tennis not tennis ? Is men's tennis not tennis ? Tennis is tennis...Football is football.

Gareth Evans is also doing very well and enjoying the experience and fresh approach the women's game currently has with the u19's.

It's the same sport in the same way that British Basketball is the same as the NBA.

I'm a football fan, would watch most games at most levels, but women's football doesn't interest me at all - it is played a different way with very different charcteristics.

I'm sure as I said above that if men were to take up synchronised swimming or netball it would naturally get some rections from women too. Perhaps the gymnastics with the ribbons and balls? Sure it would still be the same sport in name.

Anyhow, Cowan has admitted he was stupid and his comments were outdated. I think its fair enough. I think its also fair that he highlighted some stuff that is important that he has talked about previously but didn't receive any sort of comment or reaction so I think it's right that some of the response has been OTT.

Jonnyboy
30-09-2013, 04:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaT5dDiISw

Great post Doddie :agree: Re the bit in bold, I too used to be a fencer, captained my school team :greengrin

It's the same sport in the same way that British Basketball is the same as the NBA.

I'm a football fan, would watch most games at most levels, but women's football doesn't interest me at all - it is played a different way with very different charcteristics.

I'm sure as I said above that if men were to take up synchronised swimming or netball it would naturally get some rections from women too. Perhaps the gymnastics with the ribbons and balls? Sure it would still be the same sport in name.

Anyhow, Cowan has admitted he was stupid and his comments were outdated. I think its fair enough. I think its also fair that he highlighted some stuff that is important that he has talked about previously but didn't receive any sort of comment or reaction so I think it's right that some of the response has been OTT.

First bit in bold - a perfectly acceptable view to hold IMO. Sadly, Cowan took it down to neanderthal levels by offering his unfunny views on women and their place in his world. Equally sadly, there appears to be a few on here whose views could also be considered neanderthal

Second bit in bold - Only because he was made to by his Editor. He's been bumped from one job due to his column already and wouldn't want to risk two.

basehibby
30-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Cowan is an erse with a face like toad's scrotum. Suffice to say I would rather watch/listen/read about Women's football than be subjected to the inane pish that passes for thought processes in Cowan's self agrandising Yam-excuse-making excuse for a brain.

Golden Bear
30-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Ah but is that really fair? Both the Mens Champion and the Ladies Champion received £1,600,000 for winning their respective titles but I wouldn't ever bet on the Ladies Champion beating the Mens champion in a straight head to head contest.

:duck:

Jonnyboy
30-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Cowan is an erse with a face like toad's scrotum. Suffice to say I would rather watch/listen/read about Women's football than be subjected to the inane pish that passes for thought processes in Cowan's self agrandising Yam-excuse-making excuse for a brain.

Source?

:greengrin

Spike Mandela
30-09-2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tam-cowan-man-say-row-2322534

His little sister was a cracking player apparently

Julie Fleeting could play for the men, but he forgot it was him who said it.

He's sorry and will donate too the women's football funding

Crikey did you read some of the comments under that article? What a bunch of neanderthals read that bloody rag.

Brightside
30-09-2013, 05:38 PM

A football fan Andy? And A FENLON fan? Surely not?

PeeJay
30-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Not really surprised at some of the negative comments regarding women's football in the media and on here; not everything in it is good, but there have been some decent games in various competitions, so it is certainly not all bad. The women's game is definitely making progress, which is more than can be said for our team - the current German national team would be far too good for Fenlon's "defence" ...

Geo_1875
30-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Ah but is that really fair? Both the Mens Champion and the Ladies Champion received £1,600,000 for winning their respective titles but I wouldn't ever bet on the Ladies Champion beating the Mens champion in a straight head to head contest.

And would they play best of 3 or 5 sets? Or maybe meet in the middle and play best of 4. Different rules= different game.

--------
30-09-2013, 05:55 PM

So? Is the Centre Court at Wimbledon only half-full when the Women's Final's being played? Does the Women's Final in the US Open attract a smaller TV audience than the Men's? Does women's tennis have problems attracting sponsorship to fund their competitions?

I've heard this argument so often, and I still can't figure out the logic.

It isn't about whether Djokovic would beat Serena Williams head-to-head; in terms of world sport Williams is as big a name as Djokovic, people are willing to pay good money to watch her play, and the prize money in women's tennis is proportionate to the game's earning capacity.

Fairness (if the critics of women's sports are really interested in the concept) lies in people who attract the same level of interest and support (and thereby generating sponsorship and ticket-sales income for the sport) receiving similar returns for their effort.

I find it really difficult to understand why so many men are so unwilling to respect women who are only seeking to play a game they enjoy, and play it to the highest standard they can.

This whole issue wasn't about freedom of speech or expression. It was about a chronically scurrilous second-rate "journalist" publishing an obscene and quite vicious attack on one section of the population defined in this case by their gender.

If he had written in those terms about black footballers he would have been charged with inciting racial hatred. The same goes for a similar attack on Muslim footballers. But of course he wouldn't dare attack those groups - he's a big fat coward. he does what bullies do - goes after a soft target, one he thinks no one's going to stand up for.

It was a dreadful article, and his "apology" isn't very much better.

I say it again - he should have got what Andy Gray and Ron Atkinson got - the Record and the BBC should both have sacked him.

Opinions like those should not be allowed the oxygen of publicity.

judas
30-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Wow! 9 pages and counting over Tam Cowan having a wee joke at the expense of women's football...and I've always been told you needed a sense of humour to support Hibs!

Exactly.

marinello59
30-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Exactly.

The sweetly wife's are having a right greet.

I just don't see the enormous spectacle..

Your utter contempt for those that disagree with you really does you no favours. Maybe you could try debating the issue without resorting to constant insults.

judas
30-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Your utter contempt for those that disagree with you really does you no favours. Maybe you could try debating the issue without resorting to constant insults.

Maybe. It's just such a pain writing long posts on an ipad.

nonshinyfinish
30-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Maybe. It's just such a pain writing long posts on an ipad.

:hilarious

"M'lord, I invoke the Touchscreen Defence."

judas
30-09-2013, 06:43 PM
:hilarious

"M'lord, I invoke the Touchscreen Defence."

:wink:

weonlywon6-2
30-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Indeed - cant imagine why the man would want to waste his time and his Uefa Pro License on this "pi$h"

Full time in the big bath maybe ???

IanM
30-09-2013, 06:58 PM
You're right. Women shouldn't be involved in football in any way.

I mean, you never hear any male commentators/summarisers coming out with anything but sound intelligent good sense.

Andy Gray, Andy Townsend, Billy Dodds, Lawro and Tyldesley - come on down .....

And you're right - that comment had nothing to do with the quality of the tournament. The quality of the tournament was excellent.

But then she wasn't asked what her GOAL of the tournament was - she was asked what her best moment was, and she answered.

One of my most memorable moments of last season was Sparky's disallowed free-kick against Hearts. Disallowed or not, it was a cracking strike and stays in my memory. Does that mean I know nothing about the game?

(Think carefully before you answer that. :wink: )

Haha.. to be honest pal I couldn't give two hoots. I can't say I know much about football never mind woman's football! so I just posted the only thing I knew which was probably slightly childish. the only fact on these 11 pages is tam cowan is a fat **** and I ***** at pretending to be sexist..

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Exactly.

See when you edit a post to avoid making yourself looking even more of a complete tit, its probably an idea to check that no-one has quoted it already as it makes you look (a) even more stupid than you are doing rather well at demonstrating already, and (b) a bit of a coward.

I dont know if you're just on the wind up or are really an unreconstructed muppet, but either way, you're not winning much by way of any arguments.

judas
30-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Full time in the big bath maybe ???

:faf:

judas
30-09-2013, 07:02 PM
See when you edit a post to avoid making yourself looking even more of a complete tit, its probably an idea to check that no-one has quoted it already as it makes you look (a) even more stupid than you are doing rather well at demonstrating already, and (b) a bit of a coward.

I dont know if you're just on the wind up or are really an unreconstructed muppet, but either way, you're not winning much by way of any arguments.

It's no that big a deal pal.

I edited a post.

Chill.

Twa Cairpets
30-09-2013, 08:18 PM
It's no that big a deal pal.

I edited a post.

Chill.

Nah. I won't.

You spoke utter garbage on this thread yesterday, and today you've come on and done exactly the same again.

If you haven't got an opinion other than sad little digs and snide comments on a subject you claim to not care about, then maybe it might be an idea to post nothing, eh?

GreenCastle
30-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Is that really fair? It's nothing to do with being fair ??

I'm not arguing who is better at tennis - men or women - or who is better at football.

I'm making the point Women's football is the same sport as men's football! :aok:

Same sport played in different styles / ways!

Jonnyboy
30-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Nah. I won't.

You spoke utter garbage on this thread yesterday, and today you've come on and done exactly the same again.

If you haven't got an opinion other than sad little digs and snide comments on a subject you claim to not care about, then maybe it might be an idea to post nothing, eh?

Sad to say TC but some folk haven't progressed much since living in caves.

GreenCastle
30-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Nah. I won't.

:aok:

Judas has contributed nothing except trolling and blaming his ipad :rolleyes:

judas
30-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Nah. I won't.

Here's what actually happened.

I expressed my view that TC's article was relatively inoffensive for an opinion piece.

Then I concurred with the central point of TC's article: that womens fitba was pants.

I did come unstuck when I had a go at a fellow Hibby for a spelling error. But I just thought it was funny, that he traduced me for being inelegant, when he had muffed the first sentence of his attack. This quite rightly backfired when i failed to control the iPad and released a flurry of faux pas.

Finally, i mocked some old women for being so easily offended. This brought the hibs net clique upon me fast.

no big deal mate. Just a wee spat.

FranckSuzy
30-09-2013, 08:39 PM

I expressed my view that TC's article was relatively inoffensive for an opinion piece.

Then I concurred with the central point of TC's article: that womens fitba was pants.

I did come unstuck when I had a go at a fellow Hibby for a spelling error. But I just thought it was funny, that he traduced me for being inelegant, when he had muffed the first sentence of his attack. This quite rightly backfired when i failed to control the iPad and released a flurry of faux pas.

Finally, i mocked some old women for being so easily offended. This brought the hibs net clique upon me fast.

Give it a rest, eh?

HNA12
30-09-2013, 08:45 PM

no big deal mate. Just a wee spat. Friendly warning, drop it now please.

Jonnyboy
30-09-2013, 08:47 PM

I'm reminded of a line from Billy Connolly's Crucifixion sketch

Hibby D
30-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm reminded of a line from Billy Connolly's Crucifixion sketch

Don't leave it there! :I'm waiti

Jonnyboy
30-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Don't leave it there! :I'm waiti

From BC's crucifixion sketch comes the immortal line ............

"See you Judas, you're gettin on ma t!ts"

Hibby D
30-09-2013, 09:18 PM
From BC's crucifixion sketch comes the immortal line ............

"See you Judas, you're gettin on ma t!ts"

:tee hee:

Hibbyradge
30-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Although not about women's football, I thought this was relevant.

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv?c=upw1

Leishy1995
01-10-2013, 12:08 AM

Those straws you're clutching at? Leave them. You're not benefiting the thread. You're actually just showing true colours. All this is though, is a screen you can put your horrid comments on and rarely suffer consequences.

Not worth the time I've wasted.

Cropley10
01-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I see Robbie Fowler accused Vertognen and Torres of behaving 'like a couple of girls' live on air during the Spurs Chelsea game.

Just to clarify though, he went on to apologise for his remark.

MWHIBBIES
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Article about the Fowler incident, embarrassing from the BBC really.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100238639/the-bbcs-humiliation-of-robbie-fowler-shows-that-football-is-fair-game-for-censorship/

ancient hibee
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
On a recent thread commentating on a horrendous tackle in a junior match I suggested that they were a lot of jessies.I would like to make it clear that I did not wish to cast aspersions at Jessies or indeed Jesses or intend to imply that the characteristics of the players reminded me of Jessies or Jesses and if indeed they did there is nothing wrong with being a Jessie or a Jesse.That should cover it .

Golden Bear
01-10-2013, 05:11 PM
On a recent thread commentating on a horrendous tackle in a junior match I suggested that they were a lot of jessies.I would like to make it clear that I did not wish to cast aspersions at Jessies or indeed Jesses or intend to imply that the characteristics of the players reminded me of Jessies or Jesses and if indeed they did there is nothing wrong with being a Jessie or a Jesse.That should cover it .

:tee hee:

SouthamptonHibs
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Best laugh I've had in a while, thought TC' s article was class. After getting beat three nil on Sat I thought.net would be quite negative but the article's cheered me up. "Put the Baws in Bosnia" haha

Brightside
01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
a result from Friday that i missed.... Hibs Girls u13s 14 - 1 Bonnyrigg Rose Boys u13s. Burds eh! (btw most of the girls team are 10 and 11)

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2013, 07:50 PM
a result from Friday that i missed.... Hibs Girls u13s 14 - 1 Bonnyrigg Rose Boys u13s. Burds eh! (btw most of the girls team are 10 and 11)

well done the lassies :greengrin

Hibby D
01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Discussion about Cowan's article coming up on SS1 in a moment or 2 :greengrin

Jonnyboy
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Best laugh I've had in a while, thought TC' s article was class. After getting beat three nil on Sat I thought.net would be quite negative but the article's cheered me up. "Put the Baws in Bosnia" haha

Please tell me you're on some contraption that doesn't let you use smilies.

Sir David Gray
01-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Article about the Fowler incident, embarrassing from the BBC really.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100238639/the-bbcs-humiliation-of-robbie-fowler-shows-that-football-is-fair-game-for-censorship/

Yep.

Absolutely ridiculous that he was made to make an apology for that comment. I thought it was a joke when I first heard about the story.

FranckSuzy
01-10-2013, 10:01 PM

Jonnyboy
01-10-2013, 10:02 PM

It's an age thing :greengrin

FranckSuzy
01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
It's an age thing :greengrin

:greengrin Bet you've still got a wireless :agree: :devil:

Jonnyboy
01-10-2013, 10:10 PM
:greengrin Bet you've still got a wireless :agree: :devil:

Too right, and a record player :faf:

cabbageandribs1875
01-10-2013, 10:11 PM

one of these

http://www.sunshinecoasthealthcentre.ca/images/drug-paraphernalia.jpg

:hmmm:

--------
03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.scottishreview.net/KennethRoy122c.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-303884-Why+BBC+Scotland+should+fire+its+star+presenter

Fair bit of sense in here, I think.

hibsbollah
03-10-2013, 10:30 AM
http://www.scottishreview.net/KennethRoy122c.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-303884-Why+BBC+Scotland+should+fire+its+star+presenter

Very good article :agree: 'part of a scottish culture that excuses itself through self deprecation'. Indeed.

I think its bizarre the Cowan apologists are using the defence that 'traditional Scots working class humour is being destroyed by modern liberal PC gone mad'. I'm the same age and have a similar background to Cowan and I cant remember that wearing stupidity as a badge of honour and bullying lassies were considered traditional values. Quite the opposite.

Jonnyboy
03-10-2013, 02:47 PM

Excellent although I fear his fan club on here may disagree :wink:

paul_hfc3
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Go back to being a food critic you fat specky *******

The Hibee Harp
03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Interesting views from Hibs Ladies boss Willie Kirk here -> http://terracepodcast.net/misc/2013/10/3/audio-willie-kirk-interview

--------
04-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Very good article :agree: 'part of a scottish culture that excuses itself through self deprecation'. Indeed.

I think its bizarre the Cowan apologists are using the defence that 'traditional Scots working class humour is being destroyed by modern liberal PC gone mad'. I'm the same age and have a similar background to Cowan and I cant remember that wearing stupidity as a badge of honour and bullying lassies were considered traditional values. Quite the opposite.

Cowan has little or nothing in common with traditional Scottish working-class humour. For one thing, traditional Scottish working-class humour is FUNNY. Tam Cowan certainly is not.

The two outstanding examples of Scottish working-class humour that come to my mind are Billy Connolly (whom everyone on ths board will have heard of) and Bud Neill (whom not so many may know about, but who was quite simply one of the best British cartoonists of the 20th century. Neither of them made a living out of insulting and bad-mouthing women - Connolly can be about as irreverent as any one could be, but as the article suggests he has a very strong claim to being the funniest man to walk the stage in living memory. Contemporary stand-up comics pale into insignificance in comparison.

And Bud Neill made humour about women - GI brides, clippies, and wee Glesca women on the rampage round the shops - but I defy anyone to discover a grain of misogyny in any of the Lobey Dosser strips. "Hey Chief, who's that squaw wearing the tartan skirt? Oh, that's Pawnee Mary O' Argyll". Sorry, I'll get the polis myself. :greengrin

Not even Rank Bajin would have insulted the GI bride.

And then, of course there was the late, great Matt McGinn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Z1V5cSWU4

Pete
04-10-2013, 04:58 AM
Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball. They could, for example, have tighter shorts.

Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball.

That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?

--------
04-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball. They could, for example, have tighter shorts.

Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball.

That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?

Are you Sepp Blatter in disguise? :confused:

Keith_M
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM

How about re-creating Lingerie Football, like they do in the US. I'm sure Blatter and the Olympics Comittee will have thought about all of those ideas as well.

Leishy1995
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Interesting views from Hibs Ladies boss Willie Kirk here -> http://terracepodcast.net/misc/2013/10/3/audio-willie-kirk-interview

Actually a very good podcast. Willie Kirk highlights the women's games differences well.

Interesting to know he coached "7 or 8" of the Hibs men youth players now coming through.

neilmartinrocks
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Just watched flog it and a bit on it said that a WOMAN is the only scottish world cup medal winner!!!
never got all the info but she's fae Ayrshire and played in the Italian womens team.
Anybody ken any mair on this?

MSK
04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Just watched flog it and a bit on it said that a WOMAN is the only scottish world cup medal winner!!!
never got all the info but she's fae Ayrshire and played in the Italian womens team.
Anybody ken any mair on this?Rose Reilly from Kilmarnock ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Reilly

Andy74
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Anybody ken any mair on this?

Should you not also stick WOMEN'S in big letters before World Cup?

neilmartinrocks
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Should you not also stick WOMEN'S in big letters before World Cup?

and why would i do that?
I know there is a womans world cup.
Just didnt know that the only scottish holder of a winners medal was a WOMAN, (denotes surprise )

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Scotland have won The Homeless World Cup, so, not strictly true. ;-)

neilmartinrocks
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Scotland have won The Homeless World Cup, so, not strictly true. ;-)

Is that a real (recognised by fifa) compitition?
Honestly never heard of it but thats two footie facts I've learned the day.:nerd:

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Couldnae tell you, I'm just trying to encourage the faux seethe on the thread along for a while.

neilmartinrocks
04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Couldnae tell you, I'm just trying to encourage the faux seethe on the thread along for a while.

christ mate the faux seethe on here needs nae encouraging. IMO hope am proved wrong etc.:greengrin

hibbymick
04-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Arsenal ladies on BT Sport just now, I can see Nobbs scoring.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
So is he being struck off or not?

Andy74
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
and why would i do that?
I know there is a womans world cup.
Just didnt know that the only scottish holder of a winners medal was a WOMAN, (denotes surprise )

Was there likely to be a MAN with a winning medal from the WOMEN'S World Cup?

Dunderhall
04-10-2013, 08:16 PM
So is he being struck off or not?
Suspended for a 2nd week by the BBC.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/home-news/tam-cowan-remains-suspended-by-bbc-after-sexist-column-row.1380905449?_=96e4ffe10a111021957f4e07c7a30f0d6 0226a75

brianmc
04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I've just finished watching the arsenal ladies v Lincoln ladies cup final on BT sports and I have to say the level of fitba on show far surpassed my expectations (and I've watched women's games before). Great pace, shape and first touch about the game-they even knew what to do with throw ins!!

*up the arse!

eastterrace
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
theres a thread on keekback saying get tam cowan back on as he is really funny as with the other pundits on his programe, personally i dont think he is funny. nuf said that lot want him back on, pure pish.

hibbymick
05-10-2013, 06:08 AM
I've just finished watching the arsenal ladies v Lincoln ladies cup final on BT sports and I have to say the level of fitba on show far surpassed my expectations (and I've watched women's games before). Great pace, shape and first touch about the game-they even knew what to do with throw ins!!

*up the arse!

I agree, that was no a bad game.......... Dont think they are too far away now from judging the bounce o the baw :devil:

Hank Schrader
05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
theres a thread on keekback saying get tam cowan back on as he is really funny as with the other pundits on his programe, personally i dont think he is funny. nuf said that lot want him back on, pure pish.

He's really funny in the same way that the Ebola virus is really funny. It's typical those mutants over the road would find him amusing. Fandans.

Lozmoz21
05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Was listening to Off The Ball in the car earlier where one of the guests, some comedian, dropped the bombshell that he was doing a gig at Saughton and discovered that inmates are given colour coded sweatshirts depending on their crime. And what colour do the sex offenders get given, maroon!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h4mdk0.jpg

Sanger
05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Was listening to Off The Ball in the car earlier where one of the guests, some comedian, dropped the bombshell that he was doing a gig at Saughton and discovered that inmates are given colour coded sweatshirts depending on their crime. And what colour do the sex offenders get given, maroon!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h4mdk0.jpg
It's in his stage show when he's Bob Doolally - funny but not true.

Lozmoz21
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM

ach well, funny while it lasted.

Hibby D
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM

If you mean the story about the colour of their uniforms, then it is true. The SO's do indeed wear maroon :shhhsh!:

(A family member is a prison officer up at Saughton :agree: )

GlenrothesHibee
09-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Cowan's been trying too hard for years. OTB is far better without the yam sympathising welt

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Turning into a bit of a saga - oh the irony he's probably offended the sextagenarians in his time too...

the question if who is going to fill the void that was Tam Cowan?

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Turning into a bit of a saga - oh the irony he's probably offended the sextagenarians in his time too...

the question if who is going to fill the void that was Tam Cowan?

Was that the one when a pensioner slagged him off and Tam said, "here's hoping for a hard winter"?

Cops grove immediately said, "this man is a radio psychopath, and has nothing to do with me".

Phil D. Rolls
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
If you mean the story about the colour of their uniforms, then it is true. The SO's do indeed wear maroon :shhhsh!:

(A family member is a prison officer up at Saughton :agree: )

I can confirm that. A family member of mine is a SO. (That's a joke, he's not been caught yet).

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Was that the one when a pensioner slagged him off and Tam said, "here's hoping for a hard winter"?

Cops grove immediately said, "this man is a radio psychopath, and has nothing to do with me".

What a flump. I take it this suspension is just due process whilst the case is made and defended and he negotiates severance. There's probably a conflict here in that TC works for the tabloids and has a standup 'career' that requires an adjustment in tone for pre-watershed radio. He's seemingly incapable of adapting.

I do think Radio Scotland needs to take a look at it's hiring policy.

For example is it right that football agents be given a platform with the potential to promote their clients? It may be ok for a commercial Broadcaster but a public broadcaster?

the agents I'm aware of that have been hired
Gordon Smith
Biscuits

this must be a thing of the past according to this list...

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Documents/PlayerAgents/01%20NEW%20Current%20Licensed%20SFA%20Players%20Ag ent%20Sept%202013.pdf

Andy74
10-10-2013, 03:07 PM
What a flump. I take it this suspension is just due process whilst the case is made and defended and he negotiates severance. There's probably a conflict here in that TC works for the tabloids and has a standup 'career' that requires an adjustment in tone for pre-watershed radio. He's seemingly incapable of adapting.

I do think Radio Scotland needs to take a look at it's hiring policy.

For example is it right that football agents be given a platform with the potential to promote their clients? It may be ok for a commercial Broadcaster but a public broadcaster?

the agents I'm aware of that have been hired
Gordon Smith
Biscuits

this must be a thing of the past according to this list...

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/Documents/PlayerAgents/01%20NEW%20Current%20Licensed%20SFA%20Players%20Ag ent%20Sept%202013.pdf

Ah, the fun you can have with Willie McKay's mobile number. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
10-10-2013, 03:55 PM

In some ways Its a bit nuts for any organisation to publish what the SFA have just done and quite possibly against the data protection act if it is without permission and good reason.
But that is perhaps just a tiny microcosm of transparency (or someone stuffed up on the access privileges)

JimBHibees
11-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Indeed, 'Arry ere want to gift :faf: me a new race'orse. :greengrin

Onion
11-10-2013, 08:36 AM

*up the arse!

The gap between women's football and Hibs football has closed massively in the last few years. Wonder if the German women would beat a Fenlon XI ? Think we should get it on !

Brightside
11-10-2013, 09:55 AM
The gap between women's football and Hibs football has closed massively in the last few years. Wonder if the German women would beat a Fenlon XI ? Think we should get it on !

Kim Little is the creative midfielder we are crying out for! :greengrin