PDA

View Full Version : As good as Any of the rest, but how much do we want it?

MB62
27-09-2013, 01:29 PM
The team has settled in to what is looking a very good one, certainly as good as any other team in the SPFL maybe outside the 'dodgers' and I reckon it could be a very interesting battle for 2nd spot this year. Ourselves, Motherwell, Inverness, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd all look a handy outfit, with St. Johnstone not a million miles off that either. The others will be good enough to take points off the previously mentioned and I think this is going to be a very tight league this season.
Tomorrow's game against Inverness is one of those games where, ability wise, there may be little to choose between the teams, although I think we are better, but the winners will come from the team that wants it the most, the team that has the dedication, desire and mental as well as physical toughness.

I was greatly impressed by the effort the lads put in against St. Mirren, the tireless running and covering for team mates. Apparently though against Stranraer there was times when we let ourselves down a bit on that front and in the bigger games, this could just be the difference.

I think this seasons league could be the most competitive for many a year and there's no reason why we can't finish best of the rest. As mentioned though, it could all come down to WHO WANTS IT MOST!

jacomo
27-09-2013, 01:37 PM
There's an opportunity here, no doubt about it. The Huns are out of the picture, the Diet Huns have crippled themselves, and we have invested.

The League Cup is now an obvious opportunity, and we are one of the strongest squads in the SPFL. Mon the Hibs!

JimBHibees
27-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Personally think it is way too early to say we have as strong a team as others. Our next few games both league and cup will give us an indication though.

frazeHFC
27-09-2013, 01:40 PM
With Inverness atm looking really good unfortunately I think at home we'd beat them, but away we will have a tough time of it. We have the players to go there and win though so hopefully we can do it! If we can keep our squad fit and not have a bad slump mid-season then I don't see any reason why we won't make top 4, and challenge for 2nd. It's about time we did!

jacomo
27-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Personally think it is way too early to say we have as strong a team as others. Our next few games both league and cup will give us an indication though.

I agree but we undoubtedly have the squad in place. It's now up to Pat and the boys.

Andy74
27-09-2013, 01:53 PM
With Inverness atm looking really good unfortunately I think at home we'd beat them, but away we will have a tough time of it. We have the players to go there and win though so hopefully we can do it! If we can keep our squad fit and not have a bad slump mid-season then I don't see any reason why we won't make top 4, and challenge for 2nd. It's about time we did!

Inverness have played with the same line up for 7 games in a row. That won't last and I think they will have their tough times too.

If we win up there we are just a couple of points behind them after our poor start and their great one - it should be seen as a great opportunity.

hibsbollah
27-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Threads like this are evidence of how two weeks are an eternity in football:greengrin

Its only that long ago since we'd just come off a very poor 0-0 at home against Ross County, Fenlons still an idiot and the yams are picking up points, and talk is of 'can we win an all Edinburgh relegation battle'?

nonshinyfinish
27-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Threads like this are evidence of how two weeks are an eternity in football:greengrin

Its only that long ago since we'd just come off a very poor 0-0 at home against Ross County, Fenlons still an idiot and the yams are picking up points, and talk is of 'can we win an all Edinburgh relegation battle'?

Irrational, fickle, yet hilariously loyal.

Football fans are a unique breed.

MB62
27-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Things have changed since that game though, and quite a lot.
The Heff is now partnering Collins up front, Zoubee Zoubee Doo is looking the part, we have rid ourselves of the horrible 4-2-3-1 system and now changed to one that obviously suits the players.

Yes we will suffer defeats, maybe even on Saturday, but we now have guys in the team who can score goals and THAT IS THE BIG DIFFERENCE.

sesoim
28-09-2013, 12:17 PM
We are a bit better now that the players have settled, and signing Heffernan is vital. It has been obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that the one man upfront system Fenlon had been using since late last year hasn't worked and has ultimately cost us a great deal over that time.

Some fans are getting excited, but in reality, we have only really had one good result this season (away to St Johnstone). Things should get intersting now because our fixture list over the next half dozen games is almost entirely against teams above us. Given our budget, and the general strength of the squad, we SHOULD be going for 2nd, and its possible we will get there, but in my opinion if we do it will be in spite of Fenlon rather than because of. I just don't think he is good enough tactics-wise and it may take Nicholl's know-how to keep him in the job beyond this season.

One way or another, the next few weeks will give us a good indicator in terms of where we are going under Fenlon. But then again, we were in a good position in November last year, so who knows?

MB62
28-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Celtic will win the league, probably by miles again. The battle for 2nd spot is on and I have to ask those that are doubters at the moment, who do you see of the rest that is so much better than us that we should not be up there battling it out with them?
Inverness will be a test, Motherwell beat us at Easter Road and were possibly the better team, but that we are a better side now than we were at that time. Aberdeen are looking better and Dundee United look handy, but are they really all that much better that we can't be expected to beat them? I don't think so.
As I said originally, I think there are a few teams who will be up there fighting it out and I now don't see any reason why we can't be one of them, especially given our depth of squad. We may not be world beaters but we certainly can and SHOULD be up there with the rest of them.

PeeJay
28-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Celtic will win the league, probably by miles again. The battle for 2nd spot is on and I have to ask those that are doubters at the moment, who do you see of the rest that is so much better than us that we should not be up there battling it out with them?
Inverness will be a test, Motherwell beat us at Easter Road and were possibly the better team, but that we are a better side now than we were at that time. Aberdeen are looking better and Dundee United look handy, but are they really all that much better that we can't be expected to beat them? I don't think so.
As I said originally, I think there are a few teams who will be up there fighting it out and I now don't see any reason why we can't be one of them, especially given our debt of squad. We may not be world beaters but we certainly can and SHOULD be up there with the rest of them.

Well for me, Celtic, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Inverness, DU and IC I feel are better than us - Perhaps we'll see just how much things have "changed" or "progressed" today (Sat.) Fenlon has consistently failed to produce the goods against better teams - if we are making any "progress" at all then it has to be evidenced against the top 6 teams and on a consistent basis ... looking forward to seeing how this one pans out, personally I expect Fenlon to to fail to convince yet again

MB62
30-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Me and my big mouth eh! :greengrin

"Tomorrow's game against Inverness is one of those games where, ability wise, there may be little to choose between the teams, although I think we are better, but the winners will come from the team that wants it the most, the team that has the dedication, desire and mental as well as physical toughness"

You get out of games what you put in and by the looks of the highlights and reports, that's exactly what happened to us. :boo hoo:

inglisavhibs
30-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Well for me, Celtic, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Inverness, DU and IC I feel are better than us - Perhaps we'll see just how much things have "changed" or "progressed" today (Sat.) Fenlon has consistently failed to produce the goods against better teams - if we are making any "progress" at all then it has to be evidenced against the top 6 teams and on a consistent basis ... looking forward to seeing how this one pans out, personally I expect Fenlon to to fail to convince yet again

Yet again, a team with considerably less resources, and put together in the close season make us look second rate. Fenlon continues to put out teams with no shape, no pace, players out of position and no idea how to get forward.

Gatecrasher
30-09-2013, 11:48 AM
The team has settled in to what is looking a very good one, certainly as good as any other team in the SPFL maybe outside the 'dodgers' and I reckon it could be a very interesting battle for 2nd spot this year. Ourselves, Motherwell, Inverness, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd all look a handy outfit, with St. Johnstone not a million miles off that either. The others will be good enough to take points off the previously mentioned and I think this is going to be a very tight league this season.
Tomorrow's game against Inverness is one of those games where, ability wise, there may be little to choose between the teams, although I think we are better, but the winners will come from the team that wants it the most, the team that has the dedication, desire and mental as well as physical toughness.

I was greatly impressed by the effort the lads put in against St. Mirren, the tireless running and covering for team mates. Apparently though against Stranraer there was times when we let ourselves down a bit on that front and in the bigger games, this could just be the difference.

I think this seasons league could be the most competitive for many a year and there's no reason why we can't finish best of the rest. As mentioned though, it could all come down to WHO WANTS IT MOST!
I do realise this was posted before the weekend but no way will we be in the hunt for 2nd. 5th at best IMO

Golden Bear
30-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Yet again, a team with considerably less resources, and put together in the close season make us look second rate. Fenlon continues to put out teams with no shape, no pace, players out of position and no idea how to get forward.

You'll get slaughtered for that sentence by some of PF's ever diminishing band of supporters but it happens to be spot on.

inglisavhibs
30-09-2013, 06:12 PM
You'll get slaughtered for that sentence by some of PF's ever diminishing band of supporters but it happens to be spot on.
Too old to be worried about getting slaughtered by others. The truth is that it hurts me a lot to see Hibs struggle along when for once we should be at least competing near the top of the table. I could understand if there were signs that were encouraging but unfortunately i don't see them. Sure we will win a few more games than last season but our standing in the game is a lot lower than it should be when a lot of our rivals are struggling financially.

Gustavo Fring
30-09-2013, 06:17 PM
inverness pretty well proved they are far superior to us . i can see aberdeen doin the same when we play them