PDA

View Full Version : Sparky Considered Suicide

Speedway
27-09-2013, 08:33 AM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/241078-leigh-griffiths-contemplated-committing-suicide-after-online-abuse/?

2 interesting things to note:

1. How deeply online bullying affects people

2. Note on Pat Fenlon's management abilities.

Don't think that the only abuse that affects players comes from opposing sets of fans.

Liam89
27-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I did try to imagine myself in his shoes back when he was getting abused constantly, I would of snapped. He's a strong character our Leigh. Glad he's away from most of that ***** now.

Andy74
27-09-2013, 08:46 AM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/hibernian/241078-leigh-griffiths-contemplated-committing-suicide-after-online-abuse/?

Don't think that the only abuse that affects players comes from opposing sets of fans.

On number 2 I think Pat's role with Leigh hasn't really been recognised. Most of us would have got rid pretty early on in his Hibs career when he was spending more time in the stands than on the pitch and not really scoring too often either.

I think he obviously had the talent and ability and he had already got his move but I think the staff here have given him the support and the platform to be able to make use of all that now.

Hopefully Wolves also take care of that side of things for him, and being out of sight of the Jambo lowlifes that used to hound him daily will also help.

27-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Rivalry and banter is all part and parcel of the game and everyone enjoys a bit of stick between rival fans and players but some of the abuse Leigh was given on twitter for example was way way way beyond a bit of stick and banter - it was absolutely VILE to say the very least. The abuse he had to put up with was just horrendous and completely disturbing, some really really terrible stuff - threatening his kids, wishing him and his family dead etc etc. I'm not surprised he snapped sometimes - who wouldn't?! If you had to suffer deep deep personal abuse, death threats, threats on your children, abuse to your children/girlfriend/family etc day after day are you telling me that at some point you would snap back at them. I agree that Leigh is a professional and has to behave that way and i'm not condoning some of the things he done but you have to look at the bigger picture. He suffered all of that yet the moment he said one thing back there was a huge uproar.

Absolute cowards, hiding behind a computer screen giving it large to him thinking their a big man!

We love you Leigh :flag:

weecounty hibby
27-09-2013, 08:50 AM
It shows how dangerous these modern media things such a twitter, facebook etc are. The world was a better place when you only had three tv channels, every phone had a chord attached and the only webs we knew of had spiders in them.
LG has been a bit stupid at times on twitter but it does allow any nutcase access to your life/family/friends etc and they can almost say anything they like.
I am not on facebook or twitter and cant for the life of me understand why people want to share everything from when they've had a dump to their family photos with total strangers.

27-09-2013, 08:59 AM
It shows how dangerous these modern media things such a twitter, facebook etc are. The world was a better place when you only had three tv channels, every phone had a chord attached and the only webs we knew of had spiders in them.
LG has been a bit stupid at times on twitter but it does allow any nutcase access to your life/family/friends etc and they can almost say anything they like.
I am not on facebook or twitter and cant for the life of me understand why people want to share everything from when they've had a dump to their family photos with total strangers.

For professional football players, i agree, social media can be a complete bear trap for them. Rival fans winding them up with the hope of getting a reaction so they can blacken the players name in the media and get them into bother. Sometimes it can be great, letting fans communicate with players and theres usually quite a good bit of harmless, good humoured banter between rivals (players and fans) but of course as we have seen, there can be a very nasty side to it all. I was truly sickened and disturbed seeing some of the things hearts fans were writing to Leigh on twitter - utter utter low lifes!

Everyone at the football has shouted something at a rival player at some point, thats kind of part of the game but these guys are still human beings with feelings and abusing them to that scale and abusing and threatening them and their familes is completely over the top and out of order!

GreenArmyyy!
27-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Some low-life excuse for a human being has just tweeted Leigh saying 'it's a pity you didn't commit suicide you horrible thumb ****. These people should be charged for that kind of thing.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Some low-life brain dead excuse for a human being has just tweeted Leigh saying 'it's a pity you didn't commit suicide you horrible thumb ****. These people should be charged for that kind of thing.

What about calling someone "brain dead"? What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

GreenArmyyy!
27-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Maybe not the best choice of words I apologise if I have offended anyone, that just wound me up.

Andy74
27-09-2013, 09:47 AM
What about calling someone "brain dead"? What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Perhaps if he randomly tweeted that to a stranger, yes, it would be uncalled for.

In response to someone who has just wished suicide on someone, I think it's fair comment.

jacomo
27-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Perhaps if he randonly tweeted that to a stranger, yes, it would be uncalled for.

In response to someone who has just wished suicide on someone, I think it's fair comment.

:agree:

matty_f
27-09-2013, 09:51 AM
The ironic thing is the press hounded Sparkie for it as well. Very rarely did they report the vile tweets and abuse Leigh was getting, but if Leigh did so much as fart it was in the papers.
If Leigh was feeling suicidal then the papers need to have a good look at their own role in it.
Bawbags.

GreenArmyyy!
27-09-2013, 09:51 AM
The ironic thing is the press hounded Sparkie for it as well. Very rarely did they report the vile tweets and abuse Leigh was getting, but if Leigh did so much as fart it was in the papers.
If Leigh was feeling suicidal then the papers need to have a good look at their own role in it.
Bawbags.

Correct

Pedantic_Hibee
27-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I've considered this as well in light of the amount of abuse I've had from JKB the past week. That said, I've encouraged it by pointing out home truths to them. Keep hating bitchez.....

jacomo
27-09-2013, 09:53 AM

Absolutely, it would be churlish not to recognise that Leigh developed massively as a footballer and a person during his time with us, and Pat deserves a fair bit of credit for that.

I've never gone for the "if we didn't have LG last season we'd have been doomed". The point is, we did have him, and PF got the very best out of him. And of course, LG himself put the work in to improve himself as a player.

cabbageandribs1875
27-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Some low-life excuse for a human being has just tweeted Leigh saying 'it's a pity you didn't commit suicide you horrible thumb ****. These people should be charged for that kind of thing.

whoever it was that penned that should seriously consider getting an appointment with a psychiatrist, he/she/it obviously has some social issues...FACT

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Maybe not the best choice of words I apologise if I have offended anyone, that just wound me up.

Didn't offend me. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Perhaps if he randomly tweeted that to a stranger, yes, it would be uncalled for.

I disagree, you can't condemn abusive language and then use it yourself. Insults are insults whether you give them or receive them.

whoever it was that penned that should seriously consider getting an appointment with a psychiatrist, he/she/it obviously has some social issues...FACT

He/she is a bad bstrd, and needs an appointment with the Police.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 10:05 AM

He/she is a bad person, and needs an appointment with the Police.

Andy74
27-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I disagree, you can't condemn abusive language and then use it yourself. Insults are insults whether you give them or receive them.

It's quite different. What was being condemened wasn't so much the language but the act of directly contacting someone who is basically a stranger to advise them that you wished to see them dead.

Using some abusive language to describe that person on a website isn't the same at all.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 10:10 AM
It's quite different. What was being condemened wasn't so much the language but the act of directly contacting someone who is basically a stranger to advise them that you wished to see them dead.

Using some abusive language to describe that person on a website isn't the same at all.

Shades of grey I suppose. I think it can become difficult for people to see the distinctions.

Mark79
27-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Sums up the yams more than anything else. Comments about unborn kids is way way over the top when it comes to football rivalry.

Cant think of a time I ever heard comments like that about say paul hartley when at hearts as an example from us.

Pedantic_Hibee
27-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Sums up the yams more than anything else. Comments about unborn kids is way way over the top when it comes to football rivalry.

Cant think of a time I ever heard comments like that about say paul hartley when at hearts as an example from us.

Mowbray's wife, Scott Brown's sister etc.

Worst we have done is Mercer but I'm sorry, that welt can rot for what he did to us.

weonlywon6-2
27-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Brave of Leigh to come out with this so good on him,i wish him all the best.
Its clear from what Leigh says that Fenlon was a rock for him through a difficult time and makes me see Fenlon in a different light.Good on him.

Onwards and upwards

JimBHibees
27-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Rivalry and banter is all part and parcel of the game and everyone enjoys a bit of stick between rival fans and players but some of the abuse Leigh was given on twitter for example was way way way beyond a bit of stick and banter - it was absolutely VILE to say the very least. The abuse he had to put up with was just horrendous and completely disturbing, some really really terrible stuff - threatening his kids, wishing him and his family dead etc etc. I'm not surprised he snapped sometimes - who wouldn't?! If you had to suffer deep deep personal abuse, death threats, threats on your children, abuse to your children/girlfriend/family etc day after day are you telling me that at some point you would snap back at them. I agree that Leigh is a professional and has to behave that way and i'm not condoning some of the things he done but you have to look at the bigger picture. He suffered all of that yet the moment he said one thing back there was a huge uproar.

Absolute cowards, hiding behind a computer screen giving it large to him thinking their a big man!

We love you Leigh :flag:

Is it not possible to track down people who had given the abuse? Surely these sites are able to monitor this sort of thing. If not they should be shut down.

People with a public profile also should be a little smarter in how they use these sites also.

SlickShoes
27-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I honestly can't even imagine what kinds of person writes to someone else saying "I hope you die" "I hope your children die" etc etc

There are plenty of people I don't like in life but I would never even think of saying something like that to them even completely anonymously.

I remember meeting Mark De Vries the week after he put 5 past us and he was a nice guy, a human being, just like me and you.

Leigh isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and he says some ridiculous things himself but no one deserves the kind of abuse some of these people get.

weonlywon6-2
27-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Is it not possible to track down people who had given the abuse? Surely these sites are able to monitor this sort of thing. If not they should be shut down.

People with a public profile also should be a little smarter in how they use these sites also.

Yes it is possible but you need to make a complaint first,maybe Leigh didnt

Sir David Gray
27-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Worst we have done is Mercer but I'm sorry, that welt can rot for what he did to us.

Dean Shiels got it as well for his disability, during his time with us.

Leigh Griffiths had to put up with some amount of abuse whilst he was with us. Bringing someone's children into it and wishing them dead is just totally unacceptable and I think his reaction to a lot of the abuse, whilst wrong, was completely understandable.

It wasn't reported nearly enough last year, when he was the one all over the front pages of the tabloids with "Leigh Griffiths said this or that" splashed all over the headlines.

Craig_in_Prague
27-09-2013, 11:22 AM
when I see the comments from people on the scotsman stories etc, I am not surprised there has been direct, disgusting messages to Leigh and other players out there. Every Hibs article is littered with horrible comments from horrible people.
WTF is wrong with people, seriously.

ps. All the best to Sparky. Enjoy your football and your personal life in England. Go on and prosper and live a happy, successful life.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 11:22 AM

There has been a lot of discussion lately about how reluctant Twitter are to get involved.

weonlywon6-2
27-09-2013, 11:35 AM
There has been a lot of discussion lately about how reluctant Twitter are to get involved.

A lot of the big sites are reluctant but there are many cases where people have been abused on twiter and they manage to get the culprit quickly.
Whether they like it or not they have a responsibilty for what they offer on their sites

Iain G
27-09-2013, 11:38 AM

I do think that Leigh, in spite of all this rubbish he has had to put up with, would have been better to remove himself from the likes of Twitter in the first place so as to not give these idiots a direct path to him :agree:

27-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Not to mention chanting songs about Alex harris' dad dying, Dean Shiels disability and the Stylian Petrov sickening banner (to mention just a few). Low lives the lot of them. I realise hibs fans are not whiter than white - im not for 1 minute trying to say all hibs fans are angels but hearts fans really have stooped to the most incrediable lows.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 11:48 AM
A lot of the big sites are reluctant but there are many cases where people have been abused on twiter and they manage to get the culprit quickly.
Whether they like it or not they have a responsibilty for what they offer on their sites

I don't think they like it at all. I agree they should act, but there have been some examples of them turning a blind eye to threats of rape and murder lately.

I do think that Leigh, in spite of all this rubbish he has had to put up with, would have been better to remove himself from the likes of Twitter in the first place so as to not give these idiots a direct path to him :agree:

Yes, common sense would suggest that. Glad his suicidal episode is over.

Keith_M
I realise some people may see this as giving in to these people but I actually think it'd be better for all concerned if people in high profiles just didn't use Twitter.

I can actually see very little benefit of it, especially compared to the drawbacks.

Before anyone says it, no I'm not implying that it's the abused person's own fault. I just don't see the point of putting yourself in the firing line of idiots then having your every comment taken out of context for a newspaper headline.

Northernhibee
A lot more needs to be done to protect footballers off the pitch.

The abuse that Sparky received whilst playing for the club was disgusting and should not happen to anyone. Sparky was a man whose job happened to be a footballer for Hibs, that doesn't give license for people abusing him in the street, nor did it give license to the attack on Deegan.

The amount that this seems to be perceived as less serious is concerning; there was a thread on KB gloating that someones 10 year old daughter had been giving Sparky abuse in the street. I'd have been given a smack around the lug if I'd been dishing out abuse to strangers - if this is perceived as acceptable to the next generation I do worry.

I'm not wanting this to seem like I'm blaming Hearts fans - I'm sure that Hearts players must take stick when out and about - but it's an attitude that has to change on both sides of the city.

These are young lads who deserve anonymity and respect in their free time like the rest of us.

Pleased that Sparky is strong enough to go public about this as hopefully it'll highlight a real problem - I do fear a high profile suicide could happen in the modern game as social media and television make footballers all the more accessible.

It's time measures were put in place to protect sportsmen and women from this unwanted attention in their free time and for some of the morona that follow any team (mind the abuse Neil Lennon used to get) to grow up.

Well done Sparky on going public with this and well done Pat for being such a decent bloke.

27-09-2013, 11:49 AM
A few jambos still on the twitter laughing at this story and continuing hurling sick abuse his way. Do these people have absolutely no humanity in them what so ever?! I seriously think many of these hearts supporters that have said these terrible things need serious psychiatric help as their abuse towards them is highly disturbing! I've seen hibs fans give abuse to the like of Skacel on twitter (which is wrong) but absolutely nowhere near the scale of abuse Leigh has had. I remember a while ago there was messages on twitter from hearts supporters saying things like "hope your children die of cancer' "your girlfriend is getting raped" "hope you and your family get aids" I mean that is absolutely stomach churning! Football is football and we all have certain players of rivals clubs that we dislike but saying things like that to them is completely out of order and these vicious, disgusting, cowardly vermins should be locked up!

Leishy1995
27-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I think it be a good use if you have twitter to report this "kingtucks1874"

A guy who a year ago nearly lost his life would feel it necessary for a "bite" to tell Leigh it is a "pity" he didn't commit suicide.

27-09-2013, 12:01 PM
I think it be a good use if you have twitter to report this "kingtucks1874"

A guy who a year ago nearly lost his life would feel it necessary for a "bite" to tell Leigh it is a "pity" he didn't commit suicide.

Guys an class A moron! Hiding behind what happened to him as an excuse to throw disgusting abuse out and tell someone he wishes they had commited suicide. Guy is seriously sick in the head.

Dinkydoo
27-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Yes, they do - but not in the manner in which you're suggesting. They have a responsibility to respond appropriately in cases where Users and/or posts have been reported. They cannot be held accountable for thier (millions of) Users using the platform they provide to exercise thier right to freedom of speech. It's up to the Police to differentiate between 'entitled opinions' and 'abuse'. I agree that more control/monitoring is required on what people use social media for but it's not neccessarily the reponsiblity of Twitter, Facebook and Ask.fm to spearhead these operations.

Dr What If?
27-09-2013, 12:12 PM
I read this article and found to my surprise, I wasn't surprised! I don't know what it is about our neighbours but they have a really 'ugly' element in their support, they really do go too far and it just the odd now and again, its all the time! Whether its sectarian chanting, mocking disability, banana's thrown at black players, having a laugh at deeply distressing personal loss or illness...they are relentless.
They still sing homophobic songs (incase you forgot, we're all gay remember) even after one of their own hero's was forced to suicide because of the abuse he suffered because of his sexuality.
Wishing the death of children because of a football rivalry is sickening and utterly perplexing, Sparky should have gone to the police, having this kind of 'person' free to walk our streets benefits no-one. I'm sure (or at least I hope) normal Hearts supporters would like to see this blight on them also removed from the general population.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 12:14 PM
A few jambos still on the twitter laughing at this story and continuing hurling sick abuse his way. Do these people have absolutely no humanity in them what so ever?! I seriously think many of these hearts supporters that have said these terrible things need serious psychiatric help as their abuse towards them is highly disturbing! I've seen hibs fans give abuse to the like of Skacel on twitter (which is wrong) but absolutely nowhere near the scale of abuse Leigh has had. I remember a while ago there was messages on twitter from hearts supporters saying things like "hope your children die of cancer' "your girlfriend is getting raped" "hope you and your family get aids" I mean that is absolutely stomach churning! Football is football and we all have certain players of rivals clubs that we dislike but saying things like that to them is completely out of order and these vicious, disgusting, cowardly vermins should be locked up!

Why do people continue to use mental illness to explain shocking behaviour? They are just bad people, they want to hurt someone, and they know how to do it.

To say they need serious psychiatric help, just continues the misconception that badness and madness are the same thing. Serious psychiatric help should be for people with real problems, not s******ing little cowards that hide behind online aliases.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 12:19 PM
I read this article and found to my surprise, I wasn't surprised! I don't know what it is about our neighbours but they have a really 'ugly' element in their support, they really do go too far and it just the odd now and again, its all the time! Whether its sectarian chanting, mocking disability, banana's thrown at black players, having a laugh at deeply distressing personal loss or illness...they are relentless.
They still sing homophobic songs (incase you forgot, we're all gay remember) even after one of their own hero's was forced to suicide because of the abuse he suffered because of his sexuality.
Wishing the death of children because of a football rivalry is sickening and utterly perplexing, Sparky should have gone to the police, having this kind of 'person' free to walk our streets benefits no-one. I'm sure (or at least I hope) normal Hearts supporters would like to see this blight on them also removed from the general population.

Justin Fashnau committed suicide because he was going to jail. I don't think he ever had problems with his sexuality.

If you think that Hearts have exclusive rights to horrible abusive language, open your ears to some of the horrible stuff Hibs fans come out with. "Haw haw, hear come the Paedos" is one if the milder ones.

27-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Why do people continue to use mental illness to explain shocking behaviour? They are just bad people, they want to hurt someone, and they know how to do it.

To say they need serious psychiatric help, just continues the misconception that badness and madness are the same thing. Serious psychiatric help should be for people with real problems, not s******ing little cowards that hide behind online aliases.

True, I totally agree and I didn't mean to cause any offence mate. All I was trying to emphasis was that how could any human being have it in them to be so cruel and sick. Shouting "you fat *******" or whatever to a rival player from the stands at a game is one thing but to seek players out on social networks and threaten their children and wish them dead etc. that a completely different kettle of fish.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 12:25 PM
True, I totally agree and I didn't mean to cause any offence mate. All I was trying to emphasis was that how could any human being have it in them to be so cruel and sick. Shouting "you fat *******" or whatever to a rival player from the stands at a game is one thing but to seek players out on social networks and threaten their children and wish them dead etc. that a completely different kettle of fish.

No offence, I just don't like to think that such horrible people can be given any excuse. Maybe they should be made to meet Leigh and explain themselves. I think they should be brought to book some way.

joe breezy
27-09-2013, 01:10 PM

He/she is a bad bstrd, and needs an appointment with the Police.

Sorry but you are either on the wind up as you are bored at work or you are way off the mark on point one.

There are loads of insults on this board made to non-specific Hearts fans or people not here. Such is the nature of the internet and the fact that this is a Hibs community.

Directly tweeting death threats is not the same as calling someone (someone that's not even in the room) 'brain dead'.

wheniwas5
27-09-2013, 01:30 PM
not read any posts but surely just don't go onto any off these sites. Its not hard :rolleyes:

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The ****bag who tweeted him today should be reported straight to the police. Forget reporting him to Twitter, the police should be dealing with pond life like that

Hibernia Na Eir
27-09-2013, 01:32 PM
sad bitter hearts people.

LG class of his own.

We are the hibs.

Bronson
27-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I never understood why Griffiths was such a target for abuse, other than the fact he was a cracking player. Sure he had a patchy history but so do loads of players yet none get the abuse he gets.

Met him, great guy and have a lot of time for him. One of the best players I've seen in a hibs shirt too, won't forget that free kick at tynie anytime soon.

Kato
27-09-2013, 04:35 PM
I never understood why Griffiths was such a target for abuse, other than the fact he was a cracking player. Sure he had a patchy history but so do loads of players yet none get the abuse he gets.

He's a target for abuse because the abusers don't understand sport and are scared of him because he's a good player. Fair enough the normal stuff at the football games when trying to put opposing players off that happens in professional sports in general, but what happened here was nothing to do with that and way beyond it. There's just some very sad, inadequate human beings out there.

RIP
27-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Back to Yogi Hughes and his 'Faceless Wonders'. There's something about a keyboard, or phone mobile that seems to make it OK to call somebody names, or be deeply personal with someone, particularly somebody you don't know.

Not even sure if we always take our own medicine on messageboards. We have all read posts slagging off other members. Fairly mild in relation to Twitter abuse and Lee's suicide feelings of course but still potentially hurtful to the individual nevertheless.

Andy74
27-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I'd guess our equivalents would be Rudi Skacel or Ryan Stevenson - do you think they get inundated with Hibs fans threatening and abusing them on these things?

Pedantic_Hibee
27-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd guess our equivalents would be Rudi Skacel or Ryan Stevenson - do you think they get inundated with Hibs fans threatening and abusing them on these things?

I called Rudi Skacel a "prick" once in Lothian Road for no other reason than he had that smarmy, creepy wee grin on his face where he looks like the Count from Sesame Street. Guilty as charged, Guv.

ChooseLife
27-09-2013, 05:11 PM

like someone said previously about meeting De Vries, I met Rudi Skacel a few weeks ago and he was nice enough guy for the 2 minutes I spoke to him, a normal human being.

We naturally hate our rivals best players like Skacel, Hartley etc, just like they hate ours (Sparky + Deeks) the difference being that Hibernian's best performing players are always subjected to old firm style abuse and threats, when Deeks was back at hibs and scored the winner at the PBS two people jumped on the pitch to get at him ffs!

Nasty songs will always get sung back in forth, that can't be helped imo, but I don't think any hibs fans are dirty enough to post death wishes to Hartley or Skacel's twitter, it's not hibs class, Hearts have been trying their hardest over the last few years to take the Edinburgh rivalry into old firm territory, I love how I've never heard a sectarian song sang at Easter Road unless it was coming from the South. :smug:

Treadstone
27-09-2013, 05:14 PM
I called Rudi Skacel a "prick" once in Lothian Road for no other reason than he had that smarmy, creepy wee grin on his face where he looks like the Count from Sesame Street. Guilty as charged, Guv.

As he stood in the queue for the 'Rutland' i told Hans Eskilsson to ignore the boo boys about his miss at Easter Road as i thought he'd done okay. Told him i was a Hibs supporter as i walked away. He took it quite well and laughed.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Thing is Skacel has literally gone out of his way to be an utter **** to us. His pathetic posts on Twitter, his loser sign, his 'only one team in Edinburgh' ***** after the cup final, his 51 squad number etc etc etc...yet STILL none of us have-or would ever-wish death on his family. What's Leigh actually done to them?! Yeah he's had his silly moments but other than being a Hibs fan scoring goals for Hibs, what has he actually done?! Just like Dean Shiels done nothing to offend them either. They are disgusting

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Twitter brings the worst out in people - including so-called Hibees having a go at players breaking into the first team and abusing their fellow fans for questioning their direct rants which the players retweeted. It only take one or two mindless twunts....

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2013, 06:15 PM
like someone said previously about meeting De Vries, I met Rudi Skacel a few weeks ago and he was nice enough guy for the 2 minutes I spoke to him, a normal human being.

We naturally hate our rivals best players like Skacel, Hartley etc, just like they hate ours (Sparky + Deeks) the difference being that Hibernian's best performing players are always subjected to old firm style abuse and threats, when Deeks was back at hibs and scored the winner at the PBS two people jumped on the pitch to get at him ffs!

Nasty songs will always get sung back in forth, that can't be helped imo, but I don't think any hibs fans are dirty enough to post death wishes to Hartley or Skacel's twitter, it's not hibs class, Hearts have been trying their hardest over the last few years to take the Edinburgh rivalry into old firm territory, I love how I've never heard a sectarian song sang at Easter Road unless it was coming from the South. :smug:

Let he who is without win cast the first stone. The first derby after the takeover a Hibby went for Robbo and Goram iirc intervened. Riots have featured in the formative years of many clubs.

wazoo1875
27-09-2013, 06:24 PM
I seen a tweet from ryan mcgowan earlier condemning these "so called hearts fans" and saying he was disgusted with it all. Fair play to the lad as he was one who got it tight from our fans.

weonlywon6-2
27-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Thing is Skacel has literally gone out of his way to be an utter **** to us. His pathetic posts on Twitter, his loser sign, his 'only one team in Edinburgh' ***** after the cup final, his 51 squad number etc etc etc...yet STILL none of us have-or would ever-wish death on his family. What's Leigh actually done to them?! Yeah he's had his silly moments but other than being a Hibs fan scoring goals for Hibs, what has he actually done?! Just like Dean Shiels done nothing to offend them either. They are disgusting

Leigh responded to the offensive tweets,had he ignored them,like most in the media spotlight do he wouldnt have got the grief

Viva_Palmeiras
27-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Leigh responded to the offensive tweets,had he ignored them,like most in the media spotlight do he wouldnt have got the grief

He should do what the real stars do - get a PR company in who will outsource it to some Filipino due ;)

SmashinGlass
27-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Of course death threats and heinous comments directed at family members are easily ignored right enough. The way you talk it sounds like you expect people to have skin the thickness of a vault door. I understand that people won't condone Leigh's behaviour but I absolutely do. Given the same threats and abuse aimed at me, I would have reacted in exactly the same manner.

frazeHFC
27-09-2013, 07:45 PM
:rolleyes:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1379831_10202262520225509_1070680247_n.jpg

OsloHibs
27-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I love you Leigh :not worth

Twiglet
27-09-2013, 07:59 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1379831_10202262520225509_1070680247_n.jpg

That's disgusting.
Has he not taken it off twitter yet?

rcarter1
27-09-2013, 08:09 PM
That's disgusting.
Has he not taken it off twitter yet?

Unbelievable.

No way is any of this on Leigh. These messed up clowns are so way over the line its untrue.

Anyway, Onwards and upwards Leigh!! :thumbsup:

Northernhibee
27-09-2013, 08:12 PM
The more you read of his Twitter the more you realise what a massive **** that boy is.

27-09-2013, 09:25 PM

:top marks

27-09-2013, 09:29 PM

If people EVERY day in life were bombarding you with very deep, personal abuse, threats to your family, death wishes, insults towrds your wife and kids , wising death on your unborn kids etc etc. are you telling me at some point you wouldn't snap back?! Because I sure as hell would! Especially if they were bringing my family and wee children into it who have never done anything to anyone and are unable to defend themselves.

#FromTheCapital
27-09-2013, 09:41 PM

I'm sure even most jambos would be disappointed by that. Goes beyond football rivalry and it's not even in retaliation to anything. Cowardly, disgusting behaviour. Sad sign of the times when filth like that are given a voice on social media.

27-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm sure even most jambos would be disappointed by that. Goes beyond football rivalry and it's not even in retaliation to anything. Cowardly, disgusting behaviour. Sad sign of the times when filth like that are given a voice on social media.

:agree: Lets not tar all the hearts support with the same brush. Hearts have a very very ugly element in their support and have A LOT of low life's following them but I've spoke to a few jambo folk I know about this and they are genuinely disgusted by this.

God Petrie
27-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Not to mention chanting songs about Alex harris' dad dying, Dean Shiels disability and the Stylian Petrov sickening banner (to mention just a few). Low lives the lot of them. I realise hibs fans are not whiter than white - im not for 1 minute trying to say all hibs fans are angels but hearts fans really have stooped to the most incrediable lows.

Never knew they sung about Harris' dad. Can't say I'm surprised.

I hope this story doesn't hit the Hearts fans too badly. Self-inflicted death is a topic which is particularly relevant for them at the moment.

TRC
27-09-2013, 10:31 PM
its been alluded to already but Ithink it's the wedgie media totally ignoring the abuse the poor lad got and then totally vindictive against him when he was with hibs which of course when he doesn't play for the hibs anymore and now a scotland international he is ok sickens my stomach so it does. that baw bag that put it up on twitter that he should kill himself should be dragged across coals. wee pricks probably fancies Leigh and is jealous he can't have him!

Alex Trager
27-09-2013, 11:23 PM

If you look at this fool then at what one of his, probable Heros, said it's night and day. Utter tit. Disgraceful thing to say and eternally shocking patter. And that goes for anyone saying that to anyone.

@rmcgowan89: Disgusted to hear about the abuse aimed at Griffths & his family! Any so called "Hearts Fan" should be ashamed of themselves #IsOnlyAGame

Leishy1995
27-09-2013, 11:29 PM

This spanner later on apologised with the words

"The more I think of this, the more sorry I am. Two of my close friends have commuted suicide" or something.

JJP
27-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Anyone seen the Kickback thread on this subject? Disgusting. Seems like it's his own fault according to most of them. Don't really know what he did to wind them up beside being a boyhood Hibs fan who went on to do very well playing for the club, a bit like Derek Riordan before him. Personally think Hearts fans, at least in part, drove both players away from the club. Who wants to put up with that level of abuse when you can play elsewhere and be a bit more anonymous? Wish Leigh all the best in England, probably the best place for him sadly.

As for that club, their demise can't come soon enough.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 12:10 AM
From Kickback:

'Did he not teach his son to say **** the Hearts then post it on Facebook? What did he expect?'

Yes, because my natural reaction to hearing a child say **** the Hibs would be to tell said childs parent that i wanted to kill the child.

Lowlifes.

Scott Allan Key
28-09-2013, 03:47 AM

:top marks

One of the not inconsiderable voices of sanity on Hibs net. We all love Leigh, madly, cough, and I'm sure Pat got those positives through to him.

Northernhibee
28-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Anyone seen the Kickback thread on this subject? Disgusting. Seems like it's his own fault according to most of them. Don't really know what he did to wind them up beside being a boyhood Hibs fan who went on to do very well playing for the club, a bit like Derek Riordan before him. Personally think Hearts fans, at least in part, drove both players away from the club. Who wants to put up with that level of abuse when you can play elsewhere and be a bit more anonymous? Wish Leigh all the best in England, probably the best place for him sadly.

As for that club, their demise can't come soon enough.

They are without morals or shame.

Northernhibee
28-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Actually that thread on Kickback is horrific. One roaster saying that someone should put him out of his misery, others saying he's attention seeking (something that drives many people to suicide to show they're serious), others blaming him, one other blaming Hibs fans for the abuse he received...

They really are a ****ing disgusting bunch of individuals hiding behind their little keyboards. Really, properly horrific behaviour.

Hope Sparky is in a better frame of mind as he's a young man plying his trade as a footballer for club and country. I don't know what he's done to merit such vitriol from Hearts supporters but it could never, ever be merited.

Pretty Boy
28-09-2013, 07:34 AM
I've just went over and read that thread again and i'm genuinely shocked.

There are some seriously sick ***** inhabit that website. If a thread like that appeared over here it would be closed asap. That the thread in question over there is still open sums up the standards really.

WhileTheChief..
28-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I've just went over and read that thread again and i'm genuinely shocked.

There are some seriously sick ***** inhabit that website. If a thread like that appeared over here it would be closed asap. That the thread in question over there is still open sums up the standards really.

Some of the worst comments are from the administrators of the site. It's grim reading.

28-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Actually that thread on Kickback is horrific. One roaster saying that someone should put him out of his misery, others saying he's attention seeking (something that drives many people to suicide to show they're serious), others blaming him, one other blaming Hibs fans for the abuse he received...

They really are a ****ing disgusting bunch of individuals hiding behind their little keyboards. Really, properly horrific behaviour.

Hope Sparky is in a better frame of mind as he's a young man plying his trade as a footballer for club and country. I don't know what he's done to merit such vitriol from Hearts supporters but it could never, ever be merited.

Keekback inhabits the biggest shower of bigoted, sick, cretins i've ever seen. I stopped looking over there along ago as some of the people over there are absolutely vile. I remember a few years ago, there was a thread about Zemmama and Benji (they were playing for us at the time) and the amount of blatant racist remarks towards them calling them terrorists because they are muslim and other such bile which I wont mention as it was quite explicit. Absolutely shocking and i'm not talking about just 1 or 2 i'm talking a whole threads worth. I made a complaint about it and all that was done was the admin posted on the thread saying "ok guys, cool it with the racism yea". EVENTUALLY it was shut down but it was quite unbelievable!

Absolute vermin - scary to think these low lifes actually are walking our streets! Mind you, like someone mentioned before, many of these so called "hard men" only say these things when they are hiding behind a key board and username. Pathetic, low lifes. Makes me feel even less sorry at the predicament they are in. Someone please do the whole nation a huge favour and shut down this grotty, nasty, vile little club!

BroxburnHibee
28-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Keekback inhabits the biggest shower of bigoted, sick, cretins i've ever seen. I stopped looking over there along ago as some of the people over there are absolutely vile. I remember a few years ago, there was a thread about Zemmama and Benji (they were playing for us at the time) and the amount of blatant racist remarks towards them calling them terrorists because they are muslim and other such bile which I wont mention as it was quite explicit. Absolutely shocking and i'm not talking about just 1 or 2 i'm talking a whole threads worth. I made a complaint about it and all that was done was the admin posted on the thread saying "ok guys, cool it with the racism yea". EVENTUALLY it was shut down but it was quite unbelievable!

Absolute vermin - scary to think these low lifes actually are walking our streets! Mind you, like someone mentioned before, many of these so called "hard men" only say these things when they are hiding behind a key board and username. Pathetic, low lifes. Makes me feel even less sorry at the predicament they are in. Someone please do the whole nation a huge favour and shut down this grotty, nasty, vile little club!

I think the vast majority off Hearts fans would be disgusted by the stuff that gets posted on that site - I never visit it, and I never click on any of the links posted here - I don't need or want to read their bile.

The administrators of that site really need to get a grip.

28-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I think the vast majority off Hearts fans would be disgusted by the stuff that gets posted on that site - I never visit it, and I never click on any of the links posted here - I don't need or want to read their bile.

The administrators of that site really need to get a grip.

I agree. I have a few jambo mates who are all decent, civilised folk, that enjoy rivalry banter and slagging just as much as everyone else but never engage in the sort of bile that other people over there do. A few of them used to have accounts and post on keekback but stopped doing so because they said they were embarrassed and quite disgusted by some of the things posted on the site. Says it all really, when even their own fans are turning away from it in disgust.

silverhibee
28-09-2013, 08:29 AM
If people EVERY day in life were bombarding you with very deep, personal abuse, threats to your family, death wishes, insults towrds your wife and kids , wising death on your unborn kids etc etc. are you telling me at some point you wouldn't snap back?! Because I sure as hell would! Especially if they were bringing my family and wee children into it who have never done anything to anyone and are unable to defend themselves.

I would have cancelled my account on Twitter and never gave the idiots the chance to say things like that again to me.

And why has Griffiths never done this if he was contemplating taking his own life.

Black Kyle
28-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Brave lad and to be commended for making this public. Perhaps this also influenced the stay/go issue? Whatever, Leigh's experience has brought this type of issue to the attention of the football public - I really hope this changes some attitudes towards mental ill health and stereotyping etc given the potential for serious harm.

28-09-2013, 08:43 AM
I would have cancelled my account on Twitter and never gave the idiots the chance to say things like that again to me.

And why has Griffiths never done this if he was contemplating taking his own life.

True but at the end of the day still doesn't stop these ********s shouting abuse at him in the street or harrassing him when he's just trying to be a normal guy out with his kids and family. No wonder he snapped a few times, no matter where he goes or what he does he is subjected to vile dogs abuse and threats. It would make your life absolutely hell and he's got very young kids so i'd imagine he was probably worried to take them out with him incase one of these idiots started something. It would make you feel absolutely terrified for not only your own safety but the safety of your kids and family.

R'Albin
28-09-2013, 08:46 AM

To be fair, if abuse on social media is getting to someone's head they can't necessarily just sign off and forget about it all of a sudden.

28-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Brave lad and to be commended for making this public. Perhaps this also influenced the stay/go issue? Whatever, Leigh's experience has brought this type of issue to the attention of the football public - I really hope this changes some attitudes towards mental ill health and stereotyping etc given the potential for serious harm.

Exactly, hopefully by Leigh being brave enough to come out with how he felt can hopefully make people realise that just because someone is famous doesn't mean they don't have feelings and doesn't mean that you can throw any type of abuse at them and they will be unaffected. Sometimes, people can just dismiss abuse towards footballers on social media because its "part an parcel" of football getting a slagging from rival fans and that is true to an extent, players do have to accept a bit of slagging and banter from rival fans but Leighs abuse went way way beyond that. Nobody deserves the kind of abuse Leigh gets.

Just Alf
28-09-2013, 10:41 AM

I know what you're saying... I would too. Unfortunately that's only one channel the abuse came though.... Heck he was even abused in the park while playing with one of his kids.....

The more I hear about brokeback the more I think it must be the Yams version of follow, follow?

Sir David Gray
28-09-2013, 08:17 PM
It's hard to comprehend that any genuine Hearts fan would post things like that to Leigh Griffiths.

I don't like a lot of people who have been associated with Hearts over the years. Rudi Skacel, for one, is someone who really antagonised me during his time with them and I cannot stand him.

There would, however, be no set of circumstances that would make me send a message to him saying that I wish he had killed himself, on the back of an interview talking about how he considered committing suicide, and that I hope his children die.

It's unbelievable that someone could even contemplate saying something like that and goes well beyond the normal banter that goes on between normal football fans.