PDA

View Full Version : In My Honest Opinion

Hibernian Retro
26-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Why is it that a large majority of posters on football forums today feel it necessary to say – ‘In my Honest Opinion’ or - ‘It’s Only My Opinion And I’m Entitled To It’. Are people simply afraid of the potential backlash from any comments they choose to leave on forums and feel they need to justify leaving said comments, when in reality they do not need to justify leaving comments to anybody on a public forum.

Thoughts please?

GGTTH

The Hibernian Retro Team

Kato
26-09-2013, 09:07 AM
That's just your opinion.

Hibernian Retro
26-09-2013, 09:09 AM
That's just your opinion.

We see how you did that, very clever.

lapsedhibee
26-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Dunno. I only ever give dishonest opinions.

GlenrothesHibee
26-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Why is it that a large majority of posters on football forums today feel it necessary to say – ‘In my Honest Opinion’ or - ‘It’s Only My Opinion And I’m Entitled To It’. Are people simply afraid of the potential backlash from any comments they choose to leave on forums and feel they need to justify leaving said comments, when in reality they do not need to justify leaving comments to anybody on a public forum. Thoughts please? GGTTH The Hibernian Retro TeamIts like 'lol' on txt messages. Think its force of habbit people saying 'IMO' took me ages to figure out what it ment! Does my head in IMO

SlickShoes
26-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Probably to try and prevent a backlash, in the 90's and before you only had football chat with folk in the pub and folk you know, generally people that you got on with and shared opinions with. Now with the Internet you are broadcasting this to thousands of people, there will always be at least one person that disagrees with you.

I created a thread about how I thought Lewis Stevenson wasn't good enough (still don't) although he has played better recently. It had plenty backlash in it, mostly people defending him from my opinion, I am pretty sure Lewis won't be hurt because SlickShoes from the internet thinks hes a crap footballer.

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Its just a phrase folk use, i do it myself.

Brightside
26-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Hows that takeover coming along Hibs Retro

Keith_M
26-09-2013, 09:17 AM
LOL, does it really matter? IMHO, it matters not a jot.

PMSL.

p.s. IIRC, it stands for In My Humble Opinion.

hibsmad
26-09-2013, 09:28 AM
You have to include IMO otherwise your point could not be taken seriously.

How would other posters know that you are not voicing someone else's honest/humble opinion?

There is also the possibility that someone could be holding a gun to your head when posting. Using IMO just rules this out and gives everyone a clear picture of what is going on. :agree:

Kojock
26-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Stopped using lol after a Hun told me he uses it to mean loyal orange lodge.

As an aside my wife sent her friend a text "Sorry to hear the bad news about your mum lol" she thought it meant lots of love......:greengrin

Keith_M
26-09-2013, 09:37 AM
There is also the possibility that someone could be holding a gun to your head when posting. Using IMO just rules this out and gives everyone a clear picture of what is going on. :agree:

That's only true if the guy with the gun to your head doesn't have a name that starts with 'M'. For example, you could be saying 'In Michael's Opinion'.

In fact, a browbeaten wife might come on here and be using the phrase 'In My Husband's Opinion'.

The Voice Of Reason
26-09-2013, 09:39 AM
I just use "FACT".

That normally does the trick.......FACT.

Peevemor
26-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I take "IMHO" as meaning in my humble opinion (as opposed to honest). There's no point in stating a dishonest opinion unless you're on the wind up.

matty_f
26-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I take "IMHO" as meaning in my humble opinion (as opposed to honest). There's no point in stating a dishonest opinion unless you're on the wind up.

:agree:

The Voice Of Reason
26-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Me too - agreed.

dangermouse
26-09-2013, 09:49 AM
IMHO no one gives a toss!

FACT

END OF

:wink:

MB62
26-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I feel too H to give an honest opinion on this matter.

Peevemor
26-09-2013, 10:09 AM
I feel too H to give an honest opinion on this matter.

Fair enough, you don't want to end up eating H pie (and having the whatsitcalled on your face that goes with it).

LioNeilMessi
26-09-2013, 10:34 AM
We see how you did that, very clever.

I don't get it, The Hibernian Retro Team, is there a group of you who all gather round the computer when you log onto hibs.net and discuss posts and what to write before you write it?

Not having a go, we're genuinely curious of how many fans the HRT speak for.

GGTTH

The LioNeilMessi Global Association

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I've been wondering about the number of folk in the Hibernian Retro collective. There must be a fair few if a takeover is in the offing.