PDA

View Full Version : Is there still an Old Firm?

CentreLine
26-09-2013, 08:05 AM
With no old firm in the trophy, its wide open. We probably have the best squad left out of the teams in the cup every player we have would walk into other teams it was just getting it to click was our problem and it appears that's beginning to happen. Inverness obviously right now are the form team but we will see how we do against them on Saturday.

As Richard Gordon said only on Tuesday night in response to Chick Young "Is there still an Old Firm?" There may or may not be a rangers but there certainly is no longer an Old Firm. Chick Young on the other hand responded by saying as far as he was concerned there was but that was a debate for another day.
Good for Richard Gordon, maybe the revisionists have picked on the wrong guy

Part/Time Supporter
26-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I moved this out because I think it is an interesting topic.

Large parts of the media still refer to the OF, even though there hasn't been a Rangers - Celtic game in well over a year and might not be one for a while yet. Although this could be dismissed as an extension of the media's insistence that Sevco is the same club as the oldco.

Obviously a lot of folk will just take the position that "Rangers died, ergo there is no Old Firm". But if Sevco do return to the top and the Scottish league returns to being just a blue v green battle, then with the passage of time that interruption will recede into memory, perhaps like how previous periods of Celtic or Rangers (more the former) weakness are forgotten.

Perhaps more interesting is the idea that the term "Old Firm" is no longer valid because Rangers / Sevco have insufficient strength, financial or playing, to be a credible challenger to Celtic. For example, nobody calls Aberdeen v Dundee United the "New Firm" any more.

lapsedhibee
26-09-2013, 08:39 AM
nobody calls Aberdeen v Dundee United the "New Firm" any more.

Definitely not New, because it's 2013 now innit. I call them the "More Recent Firm".

jodjam
26-09-2013, 08:45 AM
It would be nice if some sections of the media started calling it the Glasgow derby when they finally do play but there is no chance of that happening.

Geo_1875
26-09-2013, 08:51 AM
It would be nice if some sections of the media started calling it the Glasgow derby when they finally do play but there is no chance of that happening.

But surely the Glasgow derby is Partick Thistle v Celtc.

Ryan91
26-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Short answer, No.

Keith_M
26-09-2013, 09:14 AM
The media will continue to use the term Old Firm. It's an easy tag line for them.

Looking at the facts: There is a team that plays at Ibrox, in Rangers colours, with Rangers' badge on the strip and call themselves Rangers. The SFA and SPFL refer to them as Rangers. They have the same bigoted fans as the previous incarnation of 'Rangers' and sing the same odious songs.

The football authorities in this country bent over backwards to ensure that state of affairs so it's no surprise that most of the media refer to them as the same club.

monktonharp
26-09-2013, 09:53 AM
The media will continue to use the term Old Firm. It's an easy tag line for them.

Looking at the facts: There is a team that plays at Ibrox, in Rangers colours, with Rangers' badge on the strip and call themselves Rangers. The SFA and SPFL refer to them as Rangers. They have the same bigoted fans as the previous incarnation of 'Rangers' and sing the same odious songs.

The football authorities in this country bent over backwards to ensure that state of affairs so it's no surprise that most of the media refer to them as the same club.

this

Steve20
26-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, there is. Although, Celtic will be considerably stronger than Rangers for a long time.

Phil MaGlass
26-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes, there is. Although, Celtic will be considerably stronger than Rangers for a long time.

I might disagree with you on that a wee bit, The buns are building a team as they move up the divisions and by the time they get to the premier will have a team big and strong enough to challenge sellik, sellik are no hot shots at the moment (mibbe to do with Euro fitba) but I can see The buns starting off where they left the league in a strong position.
Hopefully they will be put into admin again or liquidated in the near future and prove me wrong.

Northern Hibby
26-09-2013, 11:11 AM

I'd hope, Rod forbid, that if we ever have the same issues, the media would still refer to us as Hibernian/Hibs/The Hibees and still refer us to being the 1st in Europe, I think the Media should still refer to them as is, for the Fans sake, they got kicked several times by the SFA, going down hurt a lot of real fans (**** aside). no need to add insult to injury.

SkintHibby
26-09-2013, 11:15 AM
All Celtic fans I know are now referring this future fixture as a "Glasgow Derby". To them the term "Old Firm" died with Rangers.

lucky
26-09-2013, 11:19 AM
It's wishful thinking that there is no old firm. More than the country supports them. Just because they've not played each other for while changes nothing. Still the 2 biggest clubs on Scotland by miles

Hibs Class
26-09-2013, 11:30 AM
There is no old firm. Rangers died. They're still dead and always will be. Sevco can be rebranded as Rangers all they like, they're still a newco.

The old firm will be a brand and a marketing tool, nothing more.

Pedantic_Hibee
26-09-2013, 11:34 AM
There is no old firm. Rangers died. They're still dead and always will be. Sevco can be rebranded as Rangers all they like, they're still a newco.

The old firm will be a brand and a marketing tool, nothing more.

Correct.

And I sincerely hope Hibs refer to them as The Rangers as well. Our first encounter against them should be just that, "our first ever encounter".

AndyM_1875
26-09-2013, 11:39 AM
All Celtic fans I know are now referring this future fixture as a "Glasgow Derby". To them the term "Old Firm" died with Rangers.

Of course come 2015 when they see Rangers on the fixture list they'll no doubt do a U Turn worthy of a politician on that one. Anyone thinking that the term "OldFirm" is gone is IMHO deluded. Rangers andCeltic may wear different brands of cider on their shirts but the same company pays them both. By mid 2015theyll be gearing up full swing again.

Be in no doubt the Old Firm will be back as ugly as ever. This won't be about sporting integrity or what is fair, this is about money and peddling a toxic agenda and brand

Seveno
26-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Correct.

And I sincerely hope Hibs refer to them as The Rangers as well. Our first encounter against them should be just that, "our first ever encounter".

Other than the game we played them at East Mains, which we won of course. A 100% record against The Rangers.

Jones28
26-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I would say there is no old firm - and rangers won't be in a position to challenge Celtic for a while yet.

The longer Sevco are out of the top division, Celtic will grow stronger because the competition for the league is over by Christmas. Nobody can compete with them. Celtic are garuanteed champions league football every season and the enormous revenue that comes with it. If Hearts go down this season I can see them making a real fist of the first division with Sevco. They may not even get promoted at the end of next season.

Point being that the longer the Huns stay down, the wider the gap gets. Until the gap is breached there won't be an old firm. And when it is it will be more like the recent firm.

CropleyWasGod
26-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I would say there is no old firm - and rangers won't be in a position to challenge Celtic for a while yet.

The longer Sevco are out of the top division, Celtic will grow stronger because the competition for the league is over by Christmas. Nobody can compete with them. Celtic are garuanteed champions league football every season and the enormous revenue that comes with it. If Hearts go down this season I can see them making a real fist of the first division with Sevco. They may not even get promoted at the end of next season.

Point being that the longer the Huns stay down, the wider the gap gets. Until the gap is breached there won't be an old firm. And when it is it will be more like the recent firm.

In the 50's and early 60's, Celtic barely won anything. Rangers were dominant, and the main opposition came from ourselves and other "provincial" :rolleyes: clubs.

The "Old Firm" survived that period, so there's no reason why it can't survive the current hiatus.

Tynie01011973
26-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Other than the game we played them at East Mains, which we won of course. A 100% record against The Rangers.

It was at Murray Park earlier this month when we beat them 1-3

:flag:

Part/Time Supporter
26-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Of course come 2015 when they see Rangers on the fixture list they'll no doubt do a U Turn worthy of a politician on that one. Anyone thinking that the term "OldFirm" is gone is IMHO deluded. Rangers andCeltic may wear different brands of cider on their shirts but the same company pays them both. By mid 2015theyll be gearing up full swing again.

Be in no doubt the Old Firm will be back as ugly as ever. This won't be about sporting integrity or what is fair, this is about money and peddling a toxic agenda and brand

Some Celtic fans (if not the club itself) were trying to disassociate the Old Firm label before Rangers' demise, acting under the belief that the term helps create an equivalence between the two sides. I suspect that sentiment would resurface if/when Rangers reach the Premiership.

AndyM_1875
26-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Some Celtic fans (if not the club itself) were trying to disassociate the Old Firm label before Rangers' demise, acting under the belief that the term helps create an equivalence between the two sides. I suspect that sentiment would resurface if/when Rangers reach the Premiership.

Groups of Celtic fans can think what they like. Its just another of their boring agendas and they are forever going to be associated with the term. I'm certainly not going to stop using it.

In any case Give it a couple of years and we'll see joint sponsorships and them voting together again to shaft over the Hibs Dundee Uniteds and Aberdeens. It'll be like nothing had ever happened.
Given their strength the likely outcome is that Rangers will be promoted from the Scottish Championship in May 2015. Nowhere will that be greeted more warmly than in the boardroom at Parkhead.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them, either of them

Hibs Class
26-09-2013, 01:18 PM
In the 50's and early 60's, Celtic barely won anything. Rangers were dominant, and the main opposition came from ourselves and other "provincial" :rolleyes: clubs.

The "Old Firm" survived that period, so there's no reason why it can't survive the current hiatus.

There's one very good reason. Rangers died. By all means, though, bring on the ""old firm"" :greengrin

lapsedhibee
26-09-2013, 01:22 PM
There's one very good reason. Rangers died. By all means, though, bring on the ""old firm"" :greengrin

Or the the old firm.

Spike Mandela
26-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Chick Young and large swathes of Scottish media and society will perpetuate this knowing if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes true. We need people like Richard Gordon and Jim Spence to burst their bubble every so often.

Keith_M
26-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I'd hope, Rod forbid, that if we ever have the same issues, the media would still refer to us as Hibernian/Hibs/The Hibees and still refer us to being the 1st in Europe, I think the Media should still refer to them as is, for the Fans sake, they got kicked several times by the SFA, going down hurt a lot of real fans (**** aside). no need to add insult to injury.

Is this for real or am I missing a big whoosh moment?

:confused:

They didn't go down, that's just propaganda from the T'Rangers loving media. They were allowed to buy the SFA membership and start in the lowest tier of football, as befitted the situation.

How on earth were they kicked by the SFA? The footballing authorities bent over backwards to give the tribute act an easy ride and it's only the pressure from fans of other clubs that won the day.

You should stop talking to Zombie Huns and believing their propaganda.

marinello59
26-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Chick Young and large swathes of Scottish media and society will perpetuate this knowing if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes true. We need people like Richard Gordon and Jim Spence to burst their bubble every so often.

We should be making sure that everybody still refers to them as the Old Firm. It's a derogatory term which reminds us all that the two of them will ALWAYS work together to try and keep the rest of us down. That will not have changed when Sevco make it back in to the top league. Surely the only people who would want that term consigned to history are the Old Firm fans themselves?

Jonnyboy
26-09-2013, 02:45 PM
What's all this newco nonsense?

http://www.rangers.co.uk/shop/140-anniversary-memorabilia

Such a horrible institution

Pedantic_Hibee
26-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Absolutely laughable so it is.

If only there was a journalist or someone with standing within the game to once and for all shatter their illusions and tell it like it is.

New club, no history. (Apart from a 3rd division title). I will never, ever refer to them as anything other than The Rangers, a team formed in 2012. I realise I'm farting against thunder however.

Hibs Class
26-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Laughable - quite clearly they are hurting big time, and their attempts to imply continuity would merit pity were it not for the fact that this new team have attracted many followers of the old team that unarguably is dead.

Jonny1875
26-09-2013, 08:21 PM

They would sell their granny, despise them and Celtic! And Celtic fans miss Rangers far more than they would like to admit!

Andy74
26-09-2013, 08:31 PM
It's a waste of time worrying about it. They had to reform but really, any attempt to suggest they are anything other than Rangers is a waste of energy. Regardless of how technically correct you may be !

Mr White
26-09-2013, 08:34 PM
It's a waste of time worrying about it. They had to reform but really, any attempt to suggest they are anything other than Rangers is a waste of energy. Regardless of how technically correct you may be !

Maybe so but it annoys the **** out of them so for that reason alone they'll always be The Rangers to me :greengrin
can't wait till they come to Easter road and we can sing you're not rangers anymore.
Edit, actually I'm in no hurry to see those orcs back here but at least when it happens we'll have some good ammo for winding them up.

Phil D. Rolls
27-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Time takes a long time to move on in the West of Scotland. The world has passed them by, but they still think they are the Second City of the Empire.

The Old Firm is a thing of the past. They are relevant only to themselves.

PatHead
27-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Just out of interest what was the response to the original question?