PDA

View Full Version : Complacency

TheFamous1875
24-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I thought through many periods of the game we took our foot off the pedal when we had no inclination to other than the fact that it was Stranraer we were playing. It's complacency that defines Hibs sometimes. Even when we were at 1-1 (took me 15 mins to realise we had been down, due to the shocking queues and service at the kiosks at the terracing), we weren't as tenacious as we're capable of being; we were lenient through spells and this cost us the three goals we conceded. We should have been at them full throttle and killed the game off in the first 45 mins.

The subs were again too late, imo. Stanton has earned the right to an extended run on the pitch, and this was a great opportunity for him that's now been wasted. (ditto Forster who should have started. Not sure if he was even on the bench which is a sin.)

It's unacceptable for us to be lenient to so called 'smaller' teams, and we could have been in a lot of trouble at 4-3. They were no match for us, but we still gifted goals!

I'm happy that we're through, and that we played some great attacking football as a team but for me, sadly, this performance was tainted by our complacency towards our opponents.

monktonharp
24-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I thought through many periods of the game we took our foot off the pedal when we had no inclination to other than the fact that it was Stranraer we were playing. It's complacency that defines Hibs sometimes. Even when we were at 1-1 (took me 15 mins to realise we had been down, due to the shocking queues and service at the kiosks at the terracing), we weren't as tenacious as we're capable of being; we were lenient through spells and this cost us the three goals we conceded. We should have been at them full throttle and killed the game off in the first 45 mins.

The subs were again too late, imo. Stanton has earned the right to an extended run on the pitch, and this was a great opportunity for him that's now been wasted. (ditto Forster who should have started. Not sure if he was even on the bench which is a sin.)

It's unacceptable for us to be lenient to so called 'smaller' teams, and we could have been in a lot of trouble at 4-3. They were no match for us, but we still gifted goals!

I'm happy that we're through, and that we played some great attacking football as a team but for me, sadly, this performance was tainted by our complacency towards our opponents. I would not lay any blame on the manager, as he put out the same back line as last week. his subs were what I expected, giving big Mc Givern a run when it looked like the game was won, and I thought he would have shoved Mc Pake on at some point too but after the sloppy way we lost 2 goals he may have got a tad nervous(I certainly did) we all understand why Stranraer lie so lowly,:wink: but on this occasion it was not their goalie's fault. more the fact that we got very sloppy and let them back in for a while. complacent, I don't think the management were.

B.H.F.C
24-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm Fenlons biggest critic but any complacency was down to the players tonight, not him. They just switched off when we went 4-1 up.

It didn't cost us so hopefully it acts as a wake up call and shows that we aren't good enough to pick and choose when we play.

RyeSloan
24-09-2013, 11:26 PM

I'm happy that we're through, and that we played some great attacking football as a team but for me, sadly, this performance was tainted by our complacency towards our opponents.

Well we killed the game in 47 minutes!

Credit where it's due I think..Stranraer's second was a peach and they never gave up.

We also created a number of chances in the first half that on another day would have seen us 4 or 5 up at HT.

Sure disappointing to lose three but in all honesty I don't really care as we scored 5 going on 8 or 9 and watched a pretty entertaining game.

DaveF
25-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Not sure what went on with the players last night, but the centre of defence took the night off and had a combined nightmare from start to finish.

After it went 5-3, I thought Fenlon might have given Caldwell a decent run but yet again he waited until the last 10 mins. I've been quite critical of Caldwell's attitude of late and thought last night would have been a good game for him to make an impression but Fenlon gave him no opportunity to do so. No wonder the laddie trudged off at the end looking pissed off.

john18722
25-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Well we killed the game in 47 minutes!

Credit where it's due I think..Stranraer's second was a peach and they never gave up.

We also created a number of chances in the first half that on another day would have seen us 4 or 5 up at HT.

Sure disappointing to lose three but in all honesty I don't really care as we scored 5 going on 8 or 9 and watched a pretty entertaining game.

Totally agree.

graemegyle
25-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Agree about Stanton i thought he would get a lot more game time last night as for Foster he got injured against Hearts u20 last week and is still not fully recovered.

dangermouse
25-09-2013, 08:39 AM

He is injured

matty_f
25-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Thought that Hanlon taking the ball for a run well into their half showed that we were getting complacent. He subsequently lost the ball (actually thought he was fouled but the ref seemed intent on letting Stranraer foul throughout the game) and they got the corner for their third
If we'd been 1-0 up there's no way Hanlon would have chanced that.

Andy74
25-09-2013, 03:23 PM

So we are tainted by complacency but you wanted some fringe players to get more time - just for the hell of it I presume?

Poor choice of focus for a thread though.

TheFamous1875
25-09-2013, 03:58 PM
So we are tainted by complacency but you wanted some fringe players to get more time - just for the hell of it I presume?

Poor choice of focus for a thread though.

I wanted some fringe players to get more game time as long as we stayed in control of the match, which we were until the 47th minute. I hope no one is thinking I'm blaming Fenlon for the players' complacency as I'm only voicing that I wished Stanton could have came on and made an impact earlier. It would have been a no brainer, as was McGivern's substitution at the time, had we stayed in control of the match. So as much as that would have been ideal, I understand looking back on it now why Fenlon may have abstained from having the young man subbed on when we were potentially getting pressured.

It's the players attitude that I wasn't happy with. One of their goals was a peach, fair enough, but we should never take our foot off the pedal, especially defensively! It's that toughness that we've always let go of against the 'wee' teams, and last night the players almost tarnished their great attacking play by adopting a lethargic attitude towards the game - encapsulated by Hanlon's mazy run into the final third, when he had options in front of him and not behind - he's a CB for christ sake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TrinityHibs
25-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Not sure what went on with the players last night, but the centre of defence took the night off and had a combined nightmare from start to finish.

After it went 5-3, I thought Fenlon might have given Caldwell a decent run but yet again he waited until the last 10 mins. I've been quite critical of Caldwell's attitude of late and thought last night would have been a good game for him to make an impression but Fenlon gave him no opportunity to do so. No wonder the laddie trudged off at the end looking pissed off.

It wasnt a trudge Dave He was straight up the tunnel well before anybody else and he was pissed off. I would have had Stanton and Caldwell on about 10 minutes earlier for a run out

Andy74
25-09-2013, 04:24 PM
It wasnt a trudge Dave He was straight up the tunnel well before anybody else and he was pissed off. I would have had Stanton and Caldwell on about 10 minutes earlier for a run out

Having watched Caldwell in some of the under 20 games this year I think its his own fault that he isn't getting more game time.

Aldo
25-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Having watched Caldwell in some of the under 20 games this year I think its his own fault that he isn't getting more game time.

I think he should be watching Collins very coldly and he will see exactly what is required to secure more first team game time

SMAXXA
25-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Not ideal or right but these games can bring complacency, I'd rather we done it here than in a league game when we wil get punished. Game won confortably into the next round, wee kick up the hoop to the defence, good to get fringe players involved in a win, successful night IMO.