PDA

View Full Version : James Collins

stoneyburn hibs
24-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Great signing, as each game passes I'm more impressed with his displays.
Good first touch and puts in a great shift, always looking for the ball.
Shows he is wanting it to happen as I've noticed he is a moaning git when it doesn't go right.

Jonnyboy
24-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Shows he is wanting it to happen as I've noticed he is a moaning git when it doesn't go right.

Spot on. Great movement, great awareness, great first touch and has now found the way to goals. Top signing :thumbsup:

Andy74
24-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quality centre forward by the looks of him.

monktonharp
24-09-2013, 10:54 PM
what a grafter! never stops, holds up the ball too when reqd. and he will score a good few goals this season.some of his shots have been very close, and it will come together soon.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Who takes the credit? Pat shook up the scouting setup did he not?

Pretty Boy
24-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Looks good now the ball is getting played to his feet.

Big player for us this season i think.

jacomo
24-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Who takes the credit? Pat shook up the scouting setup did he not?

I think Pat does. He's taken the blame when things have gone wrong, so deserves the plaudits when they go right.

monktonharp
24-09-2013, 11:18 PM
I was hoping someone else would start this thread so I wouldn't have to, because I think I'd have just wrote an essay about how much I like this guy! :greengrin

I really think he is something special, and I keep having to remind myself that he is only 22 because he seems so much more mature and plays with a real intelligence. He holds the ball up incredibly well, is happy dropping deep to collect it but is just as good running into channels to get on the end on a long ball. He runs and runs and runs all game and chases down everything, which helps our midfield tremendously by putting the opposition under pressure and forcing them to make rushed decisions.

He's also skillful. Zoubir was great with his tricks and stepovers but Collins is no stranger to a quick twist and turn either, and is very good with the ball at his feet. He's got a good shot on him, and like Saturday, probably felt he could have had a couple tonight. He seems to have a good goalscorers instinct and is good at getting in the right place at the right time, but he's not selfish - he's always looking to see if somebody is in a better position and will pick out a pass to them if he sees one.

Anyway, I'm going to stop there. :greengrin There are some players I just get very very excited about and go a bit crazy for. The last one was Steven Fletcher (MonDieu4 will be thinking "uh oh, here we go again!") :wink:

Yep. :greengrinspot on, re -James Collins. you a reporter? or journalist?:wink:

Russ
24-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of duke box , he's gonna bang em in for us.

paul_hfc3
25-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Deserved a goal the night. Quality performance from him.

Aldo
25-09-2013, 06:35 AM
I think the arrival of The Heff has helped him no end. A very good partnership in the making.

Ozyhibby
25-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Collins is quality. I think Rod will end up making a handsome profit on his investment. :-)

down-the-slope
25-09-2013, 09:12 AM
I was hoping someone else would start this thread so I wouldn't have to, because I think I'd have just wrote an essay about how much I like this guy! :greengrin

I really think he is something special, and I keep having to remind myself that he is only 22 because he seems so much more mature and plays with a real intelligence. He holds the ball up incredibly well, is happy dropping deep to collect it but is just as good running into channels to get on the end on a long ball. He runs and runs and runs all game and chases down everything, which helps our midfield tremendously by putting the opposition under pressure and forcing them to make rushed decisions.

He's also skillful. Zoubir was great with his tricks and stepovers but Collins is no stranger to a quick twist and turn either, and is very good with the ball at his feet. He's got a good shot on him, and like Saturday, probably felt he could have had a couple tonight. He seems to have a good goalscorers instinct and is good at getting in the right place at the right time, but he's not selfish - he's always looking to see if somebody is in a better position and will pick out a pass to them if he sees one.

Anyway, I'm going to stop there. :greengrin There are some players I just get very very excited about and go a bit crazy for. The last one was Steven Fletcher (MonDieu4 will be thinking "uh oh, here we go again!") :wink:

Yep. :greengrin

Cougar Alert :shocked:

down-the-slope
25-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Reminds me of duke box , he's gonna bang em in for us.

I think the arrival of The Heff has helped him no end. A very good partnership in the making.

I was saying at the week end that I think these two will become similar to Durie / Cowan....

Collins doing the graft and bullying defenders and Heff using space created and craft to bang them in.....

I predict 30+ from this pairing :greengrin

Aldo
25-09-2013, 09:22 AM
I was saying at the week end that I think these two will become similar to Durie / Cowan.... Collins doing the graft and bullying defenders and Heff using space created and craft to bang them in..... I predict 30+ from this pairing :greengrin

Won't complain at that DTS.

Let's hope the remain injury/suspension free. Big big test for them in Sat.

matty_f
25-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Collins is a cracking player. Was speaking to a neutral at the game last night and he was really impressed with Collins.

And at only 22, Collins is only going to get better.

Andy74
25-09-2013, 10:33 AM
How is Lyle Taylor doing by the way?

Leishy1995
25-09-2013, 10:38 AM

8 games 0 goals... In league 1

jacomo
25-09-2013, 01:45 PM

8 games 0 goals... In league 1

Yeah but Leigh Griffiths is scoring goals for Wolves.

Petrie! :grr:

:wink:

Andy74
25-09-2013, 02:43 PM
I had a terrible thought recently - it was that I think I'd rather have Collins and Heffernan than Griffiths.

Time will tell if it's justified or not :greengrin

Kind of agree. I think we play better when we can bring the midfield into it. Some of us pointed that out last year when ther midfield were being criticised.

We've now got Craig and Robertson getting several chances a game, as well as the strikers.

CallumLaidlaw
25-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Kind of agree. I think we play better when we can bring the midfield into it. Some of us pointed that out last year when ther midfield were being criticised.

We've now got Craig and Robertson getting several chances a game, as well as the strikers.

We were so reliant on Sparky pulling us out of the mire last season, it was unreal.

We have much better balance in the squad now, and Collins and Heff have the makings of a cracking pairing.

Up The Bracket
25-09-2013, 04:02 PM
I had a terrible thought recently - it was that I think I'd rather have Collins and Heffernan than Griffiths.

Time will tell if it's justified or not :greengrin

I'd agree, I'd bet on our team scoring more goals this season than we did last, yes, we've lost our top 2 goalscorers but we've replaced them with 3 strikers good enough to score goals in the SPL. 2 of which I'm very impressed by, and I still believe Vine will be a good player for us eventually.

We also have a much better midfield in terms of scoring goals. This may be wrong, but I think I am right in saying, last season, we scored 11 goals from midfield (Wotherspoon - 4, Cairney -2, Harris - 1, Taiwo - 1, Deegan - 1, Robertson -1, Done -1). This season, we already have 7 goals from midfield (Craig - 5, Robertson - 1, Zoubir -1).

Also, we haven't conceded more than one goal in a league game since Celtic beat us 3-0 at Parkhead just before the split. We have a very good squad here and I'm feeling very optimistic about the season.

:pfgwa

rcarter1
25-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Loads of good points here.

Collins at the age of 22 is a role model for our youth strikers in terms of chasing, running and looking for teammates to link with. No great pace, and probably wont have the stunning goals of Riordan, or the trickery of Griffiths, but massively contributes to overall team effectiveness. Heffernan looks the business too, and together reinvent the attacking options we have. Pat came close to the edge with the early season results/displays, but all the while he has been making some genuine improvements to the squad.

Griffiths is a total dude, but as others mention, our team suffered I think from relying on him too much. The last five years we have had excellent strikers bailing us out, and no surprise we've looked for that time a team bereft of ideas.

Also a word for Vine. Time will tell, but seems to provide a different option again, and can play good balls into the box. Hope he silences the boo boys.