PDA

View Full Version : Rowan Vine

QMU-1875
24-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Think the fans really need to lay off this guy! Didn't do a thing wrong today set up three goals and was involved in the other two yet we still get sarcastic cheers as he is subbed! Don't think it's fair to be honest, this guy is clearly a decent winger and think he could do well for hibs! Can see it in his reaction to things on the park that his confidence is at rock bottom due to the fans being on his back, hopefully many others agree that vine played a major part in the win today and that he can push on from here!

God Petrie
24-09-2013, 09:48 PM
The ironic cheering is really irritating. He had a slow start so he is now pish forever according to some of the home fans.

Andy74
24-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Did some great stuff tonight but most couldn't wait to boo him when he did lose the ball a couple of times.

Time to give it a rest. He's a decent player.

Heisenberg
24-09-2013, 09:50 PM
He set up three goals so fair play to him.

Shrekko
24-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Think the fans really need to lay off this guy! Didn't do a thing wrong today set up three goals and was involved in the other two yet we still get sarcastic cheers as he is subbed! Don't think it's fair to be honest, this guy is clearly a decent winger and think he could do well for hibs! Can see it in his reaction to things on the park that his confidence is at rock bottom due to the fans being on his back, hopefully many others agree that vine played a major part in the win today and that he can push on from here!

Just saying the same on my way home.

He's not my type of player but the abuse he gets makes me cringe. He's just in the door. Even the applause he did get after setting up 3 was lukewarm.

Mind you there were audible boo's in the last 2 minutes when we held onto posession so it's not exactly unusual for some fans to be constantly negative.

Jonnyboy
24-09-2013, 09:51 PM

He's not my type of player but the abuse he gets makes me cringe. He's just in the door. Even the applause he did get after setting up 3 was lukewarm.

Mind you there were audible boo's in the last 2 minutes when we held onto posession so it's not exactly unusual for some fans to be constantly negative.

I know - wtf was that all about :confused:

Billy Whizz
24-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I thought he put in a decent shift, I'm sure he'll get better each week

Heisenberg
24-09-2013, 09:52 PM

That really annoyed me. Folk gving the team stick for knocking the ball about in the last minute or two is totally baffling.

Ryan91
24-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Played well tonight and did well coming in from out wide, couple of times in the second half when he seemed quite slow to read the play and react but aside from that I thought he had a good game.

Barney McGrew
Three assists tonight and some really nice touches.

Where I was sitting, it was applause for his contribution he got and none of it sarcastic.

CallumLaidlaw
He done some nice stuff and his cross for the first was a cracker. He can be very lazy at times tho. It's quite noticeable when he has the likes of Collins, craig, Robertson, Taiwo who run themselves into the ground

Brightside
24-09-2013, 09:54 PM

This! Keeping a hold of the ball is how to play the game properly. I wish some fans would get this. If you can't go forward you play it back...but then all you hear is BOOOO. Is silly stuff from some of our fans, and it leads to players giving the pal away.

PatHead
24-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Sat next to Billy Whizz in the first half. The "Grumpy" family behind him constantly had a go at Vine, Hanlon and Maybury with hardly a decent/positive word to say about anyone in the Hibs team and that was us 3-1 up! They are enough to put you off going. Wish folk would think before opening their traps.

SmashinGlass
24-09-2013, 09:57 PM

I was absolutely astounded at it. Maybe yogi Hughes was right after all with the famed "fitba folk ken whits goin on" statement. Clearly these fans don't

Danderhall Hibs
24-09-2013, 09:58 PM

Where I was sitting, it was applause for his contribution he got and none of it sarcastic.

Agreed - I didn't think it was sarcastic.

I've got folk behind me that think the ball should never be passed backwards - absolutely clueless.

jabis

West ?

Barney McGrew
[/B]

West ?

East.

mentalhibee
The guy set up 3 goals and a nice wee lay off to collins for the shot that got us the pen but people still giving him abuse. His delivery from out-wide is really good, wish people would get off his back, he's a good attacking option to have in the squad. Well played Rowan!

Hedlund12
24-09-2013, 10:02 PM

I've said this before in response to previous posts and I'll say it again "it really hacks me off when so called Hibs fans get on the back of their own players... if someone is pulling on a Hibs jersey then they deserve to be supported." The mentality of some fans bewilders me.... a guy in front of me shouting "Fenlon get him oaf!".... it grates on my nerves.... anyway rant over - OP I agree with your point about fans laying off....... The critics have been on the back of Fenlon, Stevenson, Maybury, Tudor-Jones to name but a few.... it must be Vines turn just now!! On a separate point did any one notice Caldwell scurrying up the tunnel at the end of the game with a face like thunder? He acknowledged Fenlon with a handshake - never acknowledged the fans who were applauding and disappeared!

truehibernian
24-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not condoning ironic jeering one bit but this 'it's only Hibs that do it' rips my knitting - every single club in Europe does it, it's not unique to Hibs.

Just at the weekend, Spanish fans had their hankies out !

Vine needs to be consistent - simple as that. It's unforgiving this business, and whilst support is required, players in this country need to give 100% every game - and got me it doesn't happen - there is this minor celebrity thing in the SPL that makes players thinks they've 'made it' - the games I've seen this season, Vine works hard and tries hard, but it's been huff and puff. And not just Vine.

If the players at Hibs want second, then it's less huff and puff, more effort and desire, and less worrying about booing and hurt feelings.

Rooney was booed incessantly at the weekend, yet at 4-0 down his work rate never dropped and he still wanted the ball - like him or loathe him, that's what makes a player. Boos from fans shouldn't get to a player !

Just my opinion at the end of the day.

And many fans are knowledgable about the game - I'd place Hibs fans as the most demanding yet more knowledgable - from my experience at games.

Jonnyboy
24-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I've said this before in response to previous posts and I'll say it again "it really hacks me off when so called Hibs fans get on the back of their own players... if someone is pulling on a Hibs jersey then they deserve to be supported." The mentality of some fans bewilders me.... a guy in front of me shouting "Fenlon get him oaf!".... it grates on my nerves.... anyway rant over - OP I agree with your point about fans laying off....... The critics have been on the back of Fenlon, Stevenson, Maybury, Tudor-Jones to name but a few.... it must be Vines turn just now!! On a separate point did any one notice Caldwell scurrying up the tunnel at the end of the game with a face like thunder? He acknowledged Fenlon with a handshake - never acknowledged the fans who were applauding and disappeared!

I saw him scuttling up the tunnel (couldn't see his face cos I sit in the East) and thought it was a pretty poor show to be honest.

jabis
24-09-2013, 10:06 PM
East.

so it was either the stranraer fans,or the FF family stand,I was in the west lower,and he got respectful applause :confused:

Purehibee_MYB
24-09-2013, 10:06 PM
That really annoyed me. Folk gving the team stick for knocking the ball about in the last minute or two is totally baffling.

Sat in the West today for a change as my season ticket is in the east.. Won't be going back there as it is full of people ready to bash players for very little (just where I was sitting to be fair). But a bunch of people criticising various players for nothing. One guy was yelling at the players for passing it back to Williams, he hoofs it up the park and Craig gets the 4th.. and he's up celebrating. Another furious at Williams for not picking up the ball in the last few minutes to waste a bit of time. Really baffling as you say.

duffers
24-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Same situation beside me in the East. The guy gets three assists, then is involved in the build up to the peno, yet a bad touch in the 70th minute leads to trumpets shouting abuse at him. Admittedly, he didn't have a good first few games for us, but getting on his back wasn't going to do anyone any favours. Back him more and it might lead to more decent performances / good chances being created.

Brightside
24-09-2013, 10:08 PM

This! Keeping a hold of the ball is how to play the game properly. I wish some fans would get this. If you can't go forward you play it back...but then all you hear is BOOOO. Is silly stuff from some of our fans, and it leads to players giving the pal away.

wearethehibs
24-09-2013, 10:08 PM
It seems to me some fans just need to have a scapegoat. That they suck every ounce of confidence out of until they eventually leave.

--------
24-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Ignorance, John - ignorance. Or perhaps I should say stupidity. :rolleyes:

Shrekko
24-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm not condoning ironic jeering one bit but this 'it's only Hibs that do it' rips my knitting - every single club in Europe does it, it's not unique to Hibs.

Vine needs to be consistent - simple as that. It's unforgiving this business, and whilst support is required, players in this country need to give 100% every game - and got me it doesn't happen - there is this minor celebrity thing in the SPL that makes players thinks they've 'made it' - the games I've seen this season, Vine works hard and tries hard, but it's been huff and puff. And not just Vine.

If the players at Hibs want second, then it's less huff and puff, more effort and desire, and less worrying about booing and hurt feelings.

Rooney was booed incessantly at the weekend, yet at 4-0 down his work rate never dropped and he still wanted the ball - like him or loathe him, that's what makes a player. Boos from fans shouldn't get to a player !

And many fans are knowledgable about the game - I'd place Hibs fans as the most demanding yet more knowledgable - from my experience at games.

I hardly think Rooney being booed by OPPOSITION fans is comparable.

You think Hibs fans aren't more critical than most others? There's seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence going about that would contradict that.

Knowledgable? How can you tell that?! Football's all about opinions. If folk constantly shouting "shoooooooot!!" and "tackle um!!!" makes us more knowledgable then yeah you might be right. Anyone with any knowledge must realise that shouting support and not abuse will help the team they profess to support?

Sorry for venting my frustrations but I've just say through 90 minutes with fans around me (lower FF) that have acted like we lost 6-0 all night. Absolutely sick of it.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Not everything came off for him tonight but he showed some decent touches, set up 3 goals and kept working hard. Folk need to lay off

stoneyburn hibs
24-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I cheered his substitution against Ross County/Motherwell ?, can't remember which. Wasn't clever on my behalf but I'm afraid that the guy is the main boo boy target.
Certainly where I sit he is, berated for any mistake by quite a few around me, to the point where it was getting on my goat.
Had a decent game tonight.

hibby rae
24-09-2013, 10:11 PM

A guy behind me the East shouted at Williams that he was "pathetic" for keeping the ball in extra time whilst others were calling for us to keep attacking. :bitchy: Fenlon would rightly go ape**** at them in the dressing room if they needlessly did that at that stage in the game.

On the subject of Vine, I agree completely. He had a good game and his confidence does seem to be low, this is when we should be backing him! A guy behind me on the bus home claimed he was the worst striker he's ever seen at Hibs. Again :bitchy:

Nomeancity
24-09-2013, 10:12 PM

I can only make midweek games this season (long live the cup run), so this was my first game of the season - malmo doesn't count as a game. Anyway I can't believe vine is the same player a lot of people slag off on here, I thought he played well - why the sarcastic cheers for someone who had a not bad game?
Also why the booing in injury time when we were running down the clock - ok we're two goals ahead against inferior opposition but all it took was another defensive error and it would have been panic stations in the last seconds with them throwing everything at us. Take the win and be happy with it.

Lucius Apuleius
24-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Was in the FF tonight and some of the comments when we were passing the ball about were absolutely astounding.

--------
24-09-2013, 10:14 PM

That wasn't his own fans booing him. As long as I've followed Hibs, certain Hibs 'fans' have picked a scapegoat and gone after him regardless of how he plays.

When the opposition fans get on your back, you know you're doing OK. That doesn't bother you.

When your own fans start to abuse you ....

jabis
24-09-2013, 10:17 PM
I can only make midweek games this season (long live the cup run), so this was my first game of the season - malmo doesn't count as a game. Anyway I can't believe vine is the same player a lot of people slag off on here, I thought he played well - why the sarcastic cheers for someone who had a not bad game?
Also why the booing in injury time when we were running down the clock - ok we're two goals ahead against inferior opposition but all it took was another defensive error and it would have been panic stations in the last seconds with them throwing everything at us. Take the win and be happy with it.

:tub4: :spammy:

Thecat23
24-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Did some great stuff tonight but most couldn't wait to boo him when he did lose the ball a couple of times.

Time to give it a rest. He's a decent player.

This.. It's getting beyond a joke it really is.

truehibernian
24-09-2013, 10:34 PM
That wasn't his own fans booing him. As long as I've followed Hibs, certain Hibs 'fans' have picked a scapegoat and gone after him regardless of how he plays.

When the opposition fans get on your back, you know you're doing OK. That doesn't bother you.

According to mates I know who were are the game, in the Man Yoo end, he was booed by his own fans as well as Citeh fans !

My point was, Vine needs to put it aside and my further point was it's not unique to Hibs that players get unnecessary grief.

I'd want a reaction to it - a 'girfuy' reaction. Once you do that, as was shown tonight, you win fans over big time.

Vine can and will do that - but fans showing dissatisfaction should never be fully disregarded as 'poor support' - it's up to the player(s) to get the fans behind them.

And I'm a right nippy bar steward Doddie, I'd be super intent on proving fans wrong and winning them round !

Pretty Boy
24-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I think Vine is a decent player and will prove his worth given time.

He was poor in the 2nd leg v Malmo and poor against Hearts. Who wasn't?

Northernhibee
24-09-2013, 10:59 PM
According to mates I know who were are the game, in the Man Yoo end, he was booed by his own fans as well as Citeh fans !

My point was, Vine needs to put it aside and my further point was it's not unique to Hibs that players get unnecessary grief.

I'd want a reaction to it - a 'girfuy' reaction. Once you do that, as was shown tonight, you win fans over big time.

Vine can and will do that - but fans showing dissatisfaction should never be fully disregarded as 'poor support' - it's up to the player(s) to get the fans behind them.

And I'm a right nippy bar steward Doddie, I'd be super intent on proving fans wrong and winning them round !

He had two assists tonight and could have had more - what more do you want?

truehibernian
24-09-2013, 11:08 PM
He had two assists tonight and could have had more - what more do you want?

Consistency - against all opposition - not just Vine.

I'm easy pleased, you've misunderstood - folk jumped on the 'it's only Hibs that could boo players' bandwagon - it's nonsense - all fans from all clubs do it - but Rowan is only a few games into his Hibs career and I feel this 'fans are against vine' chat is nonsense - he got heaps of support and a few groans - as did Craig, as did Nelson, as did Robbo - the forum is in danger of creating a problem that ain't there.

But hey, the players themselves can prevent any criticism - by doing what they've been doing - and winning !

Great result tonight, and hopefully a good draw v Them next round - I want to hammer them in the cup before we royally pump them at New Year !

jamieross
24-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Worry about our fans sometimes. Cant appreciate clever possession football to close out a game and boo players even when they contribute a fair whack to a winning result. Baffling :confused:

Also, people who complain about the standard of football yet still procede to shout 'hit it up the park' or 'put it in the mixer' type garbage everytime we have the ball. Do they not see that footballs evolved from a dire game of head volleyball?

jacomo
24-09-2013, 11:17 PM

Perhaps, but undeniably there are more than enough morons in the stands at ER too - might be a tiny minority, but they tend to shout the loudest.

I have heard things from supporters that has been absolutely cringeworthy - esp FF I'm afraid.

Bishop Hibee
24-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Vine was ok but will be on the bench when Heffernan is available and Harris and Handling are fit.

Russ
24-09-2013, 11:25 PM

It was Robertson last year, Griffiths even got booed the year before. I had 2 young laddies at the back of me giving Vine and other Hibs players abuse the minute a player put a foot wrong (in their experienced eyes ) , these laddies looked between 8 and 10. Dad was stood beside them , it's not hard to see why we've always had them. Row AA in the East, you know who you are.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Maybe we need a Hibs voodoo doll type figure that can be ritually sacrificed before each game - Kinda like Kenny on South Park.

edinburghhibee
25-09-2013, 12:08 AM
The abuse vine took from a boy and girl in the back row of the east sect 43 tonight was shocking. Think it was about 10 minutes into the game vine came to the front of the east to collect the ball and the boy screams something along the lines of "ya useless lazy ******* vine!!"

Two minutes prior to that vine set up the equaliser with a great cross. I guy along my row pulled him up for it and rightly so. The rest of the game vine continued to get it tight from the folk. There's just no need.

Ozyhibby
25-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Vine had a great game tonight so the boo boys can GTF.

Brooster
25-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Vine works hard and tries hard.

I cannot agree with that at all. Although he has good feet and is good when he is on the ball I think his work rate and attitude lets him down. He seems to hide in games and I dont think he has the bottle for a tussle. Twice last night he used delaying tactics to avoid getting himself into the mix in the box at set pieces. Once he made a half hearted attempt to go for a short corner and another he prolonged a slight knock until the ball was whipped in. A big number 9 should be in the thick of it. Give me Caldwell any day over this guy.

NatureBoy
25-09-2013, 07:03 AM
I think Vine had a very decent game tonight, you can tell he has a lot of skill and ability with the ball at his feet.

I never noticed any sarcastic applause, I believe it was genuine appreciation from the fans who thought he'd put in a good shift.

Some are too quick to boo him I feel, not every flick is going to come off but at least he's attempting something different.

Brightside
25-09-2013, 07:05 AM
He had a good game last night..BUT he's still nowhere near fit enough.

GraniteCityHibs
25-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Am I seeing right?

Are people honestly trying to justify booing a new player who has payed less than 10games for us in a game we won, where said player set up 3 goals??

CropleyWasGod
25-09-2013, 07:57 AM
I cannot agree with that at all. Although he has good feet and is good when he is on the ball I think his work rate and attitude lets him down. He seems to hide in games and I dont think he has the bottle for a tussle. Twice last night he used delaying tactics to avoid getting himself into the mix in the box at set pieces. Once he made a half hearted attempt to go for a short corner and another he prolonged a slight knock until the ball was whipped in. A big number 9 should be in the thick of it. Give me Caldwell any day over this guy.

I, for one, am happy to have a "big number 9" who sets up 3 goals every game.

number 27
25-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Am I seeing right?

Are people honestly trying to justify booing a new player who has payed less than 10games for us in a game we won, where said player set up 3 goals??

No, you are obviously not seeing right. No one has said booing him was justified. What you are seeing is a whole procession of people quite happy to condemn the whole of our support on the back of a few foolish comments and reactions.

CentreLine
25-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Correct. Fans can't be that knowledgable if they don't realise Rooney is not being booed. The fans are doing that Rooooooo thing which comes across like a boo and undermines any opposition booing. Bit like the new trend for a minutes applause ensuring any people that object to the subject matter have nowhere to go with it.
Hibs fans are the worst in Scotland IMHO at getting on the backs of their own players/team/club and other teams love it. The whole match day experience would be transformed if the hate mob could be persuaded to support the team.

It'll never happen though because "people pay their money and are entitled to an opinion" no matter how damaging their opinion making may be.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Legality aside it's like vandalism - the more it goes unchecked the more emboldened the divits become and it starts to erode the perceived norm such that others think its less of an issue if they follow suit.

GraniteCityHibs
25-09-2013, 08:43 AM
No, you are obviously not seeing right. No one has said booing him was justified. What you are seeing is a whole procession of people quite happy to condemn the whole of our support on the back of a few foolish comments and reactions.

You know what, you're right.

I was taking a bit of what was said on here and what I saw on Twitter last night- as i mentioned on the other thread- and put them together.

Apologies, although I did pose it in the form of a question.

I agree though. Anyone who can say that 'a support' is knowledgable or otherwise is making a huge generalisation. Also, saying that we are worse than other clubs with our 'criticism' obviously doesn't see a lot of Facebook/Twitter posts from the like of Aberdeen fans or Jambos.

I think it stems from a few things:

1-Being used to better quality through the 90's/00's
2-The price being higher despite poorer product leading to a feeling of entitlement to have a right go at anyone who doesn't do exactly what you want them to do with the ball.
3-General ignorance of how the game needs to be played at times in order to win.

Tom Hart RIP
25-09-2013, 08:47 AM
I actually gave him credit for setting up 4 of our goals. The first was his cross from the left for Liam Craig to head in. The third was his low ball into the box from the right which their defender put into his own net, the fourth was his chip over the defender for Craig to run onto and the fifth was after he cushioned the ball for Collins to shoot which led to the penalty. He seemed to take a bad knock in the first half and took a while to recover. I would still have Heff in the team, but happy for Vine to be in the squad. Strangely enough, I bumped into my mate who has been going for years and he thought he had a poor game. Opinions I suppose.

Brooster
25-09-2013, 08:49 AM
I, for one, am happy to have a "big number 9" who sets up 3 goals every game.

Lets see if he sets up 3 goals every game then.

CropleyWasGod
25-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Indeed. The jury is still out for me. However, for many, the jury has hanged the boy already. I was amazed how many round me last night were only too willing to have a go at him.

I came away with the feeling that "I know nowt. The guy must be mince, because everybody else says so."

matty_f
25-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Until then let's booooooooo the f*** out of him.

Alfred E Newman
25-09-2013, 09:04 AM
At the moment Vine looks very low in confidence and is obviously trying too hard to impress. You just have to look at Collins performance last night to see what a couple of goals can do to a new players confidence. We have to cut the guy a little slack and hopefully he will show more of the form that had him so highly rated not so long ago.

flash
25-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Sadly your last sentence negates the points made in the rest of the post.

matty_f
25-09-2013, 09:27 AM
At the moment Vine looks very low in confidence and is obviously trying too hard to impress. You just have to look at Collins performance last night to see what a couple of goals can do to a new players confidence. We have to cut the guy a little slack and hopefully he will show more of the form that had him so highly rated not so long ago.
:agree:
We were quick to write off Claros and Robertson, even Sparkie wasn't fantastic in his first season here. Sometimes it just doesn't happen for a player straight away. When that happens, those players need our support, not our frustrations.

Aldo
25-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not condoning ironic jeering one bit but this 'it's only Hibs that do it' rips my knitting - every single club in Europe does it, it's not unique to Hibs. Just at the weekend, Spanish fans had their hankies out ! Vine needs to be consistent - simple as that. It's unforgiving this business, and whilst support is required, players in this country need to give 100% every game - and got me it doesn't happen - there is this minor celebrity thing in the SPL that makes players thinks they've 'made it' - the games I've seen this season, Vine works hard and tries hard, but it's been huff and puff. And not just Vine. If the players at Hibs want second, then it's less huff and puff, more effort and desire, and less worrying about booing and hurt feelings. Rooney was booed incessantly at the weekend, yet at 4-0 down his work rate never dropped and he still wanted the ball - like him or loathe him, that's what makes a player. Boos from fans shouldn't get to a player ! Just my opinion at the end of the day. And many fans are knowledgable about the game - I'd place Hibs fans as the most demanding yet more knowledgable - from my experience at games.

See I'm a believer in playing every game like its your last. Go out there give your all for the jersey.

mim
25-09-2013, 09:57 AM
That he made a big contribution last night is undeniable, but I'll be very surprised if Vine is a regular starter this season. His workrate is poor and he's simply not good enough to get away with that.

southfieldhibby
25-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm not a fan of Vine.I think I've seen every minute of his time in a Hibs strip, and outwith a very good second half at Killie ( to offset the truly horrendous 1st half he had) and maybe three or four passes/touches last night, he's been garbage imo.I think his touch is poor,his fitness is obviously terrible and his overall contribution to the flow of a game is a minus for me.

Credit last night,though.His cross from the left was very good indeed, I'm not so sure about the og..although the ball was played into the 'corridor of uncertainty', I don't actually think there was a Hibs player there, so more luck than anything.But that's clearly me being uncharitable.But to be clear, I never,ever boo a hibs player, I'm more of quietly mumble and moan to my pals kinda guy.

But fortunately he'll be benched again this weekend as The Heff will be back ( now there's a player) and with Handling and Harris clearly better options, I think Vines game time will be reduced once they're fit again.

*I say all this with the caveat that I'm allowed to change my opinion if he improves.

Luna Landing
25-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm not a fan of Vine.I think I've seen every minute of his time in a Hibs strip, and outwith a very good second half at Killie ( to offset the truly horrendous 1st half he had) and maybe three or four passes/touches last night, he's been garbage imo.I think his touch is poor,his fitness is obviously terrible and his overall contribution to the flow of a game is a minus for me.

Credit last night,though.His cross from the left was very good indeed, I'm not so sure about the og..although the ball was played into the 'corridor of uncertainty', I don't actually think there was a Hibs player there, so more luck than anything.But that's clearly me being uncharitable.But to be clear, I never,ever boo a hibs player, I'm more of quietly mumble and moan to my pals kinda guy.

But fortunately he'll be benched again this weekend as The Heff will be back ( now there's a player) and with Handling and Harris clearly better options, I think Vines game time will be reduced once they're fit again.

*I say all this with the caveat that I'm allowed to change my opinion if he improves.

So Collins standing right behind the defender when he knocked it in must have been a figment of my imagination ? Even when Vine plays a great ball into the front post - it lucky - give the man a break

Andy74
25-09-2013, 10:31 AM

If you can dismiss last night's performance from him in such a way it's no wonder you're not a fan.

CropleyWasGod
25-09-2013, 10:34 AM

And his ball for Craig's second? And his part in the penalty incident?

ancient hibee
25-09-2013, 10:35 AM

In fact it was a great run by Vine with a perfect ball that the defender had to play to stop a tap in for Collins.

Wait till Heffernan misses a few -then he'll be garbage on here.

Andy74
25-09-2013, 10:36 AM

He also had a great bit of play before Zouby put one just wide/hit outside of post.

His run for the OG was also strong, he didn't just stand and cross a lucky ball in!

LeithBoozy
25-09-2013, 10:54 AM
He also had a great bit of play before Zouby put one just wide/hit outside of post.

His run for the OG was also strong, he didn't just stand and cross a lucky ball in!

You are wasting your time Andy, some have marked Vine down as the anti-Christ and rather than thank him for helping us into the QF, would rather bitch. Still last night showed we can lose a good player [Heff] and bring in another who had a positive contribution in helping us win the tie. :wink:

Andy74
25-09-2013, 11:25 AM
The BBC are pretending he wasn't there I think. They have Zoubir down for the first cross and Maybury for the other!

southfieldhibby
25-09-2013, 11:47 AM
So Collins standing right behind the defender when he knocked it in must have been a figment of my imagination ? Even when Vine plays a great ball into the front post - it lucky - give the man a break

If you can dismiss last night's performance from him in such a way it's no wonder you're not a fan.

In fact it was a great run by Vine with a perfect ball that the defender had to play to stop a tap in for Collins.

Wait till Heffernan misses a few -then he'll be garbage on here.

All reasonable points, I genuinely couldn't recall if Collins was near the boy who put it in the net.

I still stand by my opinion he's not good enough and his over all performances for Hibs suggest I'm correct.

NeilOrrSquareBa
25-09-2013, 11:50 AM
He needs to shave his beard off.:agree:

Northernhibee
25-09-2013, 11:50 AM
All reasonable points, I genuinely couldn't recall if Collins was near the boy who put it in the net.

I still stand by my opinion he's not good enough and his over all performances for Hibs suggest I'm correct.

Last night suggests you're talking pish.

theonlywayisup
25-09-2013, 11:51 AM
We were quick to write off Claros and Robertson, even Sparkie wasn't fantastic in his first season here. Sometimes it just doesn't happen for a player straight away. When that happens, those players need our support, not our frustrations.

Robertson - following his SC Semi showing at Hampden, I would have been happy if he never played for Hibs again. He is now playing much better and will be a big player for us this season.

Craig - nothing special in the first four or five games, but what a player he now looks.

Claros - the 2012/13 player was fantastic compared to the 2001/12 player.

I am sure there are many more examples of a player starting poorly, but becoming a great player.

Gus
25-09-2013, 12:02 PM

or that he has found his level - 2nd bottom team of league one...

--------
25-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Correct. Fans can't be that knowledgable if they don't realise Rooney is not being booed. The fans are doing that Rooooooo thing which comes across like a boo and undermines any opposition booing. Bit like the new trend for a minutes applause ensuring any people that object to the subject matter have nowhere to go with it.

Hibs fans are the worst in Scotland IMHO at getting on the backs of their own players/team/club and other teams love it. The whole match day experience would be transformed if the hate mob could be persuaded to support the team.

It'll never happen though because "people pay their money and are entitled to an opinion" no matter how damaging their opinion making may be.

In a nutshell.

These guys spoil things for everyone around them. Last night the players apparently spent the last 5 minutes or so holding onto the ball, running down the clock, and making sure of the result. But a section of the crowd started booing them.

I might be wrong, but any team with a two-goal lead in a cup-tie closing the game down in the last few minutes is doing exactly what they should be doing.

A team pressing too hard late on can be caught on the break and lose vital goals.

Ask Hearts. Ask Celtic.

leither17
25-09-2013, 12:40 PM

i had us -2 so i wasnt happy no booing though just a wee bit cussing

southfieldhibby
25-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Or he's able to cope with the demands of playing against Stranraer, and when Heffernan is available Vine will be sent back to the bench, until Handling and Harris are fit when he'll be sent back to the stands.

Anyone gauging their opinion of Vine on last night needs to remember who we played.

Stevie Reid
25-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Played well last night, and has a decent turn of pace, which I didn't realise he had, once he gets in his stride. He will play a part this season for sure, most likely off the bench in the coming weeks, barring injuries to Collins or Heffernan.

JimBHibees
25-09-2013, 01:25 PM

It is only September he has started poorly however last season for Saints when he on at least one game ripped Hibs apart kind of suggest he can play at this level. Whether he is a regular or a fringe player will likely depend on the fitness of others however the vitriol to the guy is pretty astounding considering he has probably played about 6 games for the first team.

Give the guy a chance he is still trying to settle in at Hibs and needs a bit of support not halfwits cheering when he gets subbed.

JimBHibees
25-09-2013, 01:27 PM
or that he has found his level - 2nd bottom team of league one...

He did pretty well for a team further up the league than us last season though.

southfieldhibby
25-09-2013, 01:30 PM
It is only September he has started poorly however last season for Saints when he on at least one game ripped Hibs apart kind of suggest he can play at this level. Whether he is a regular or a fringe player will likely depend on the fitness of others however the vitriol to the guy is pretty astounding considering he has probably played about 6 games for the first team.

Give the guy a chance he is still trying to settle in at Hibs and needs a bit of support not halfwits cheering when he gets subbed.

I do give the guy support at all the games, both home and away I've seen him play.If he makes a mistake I'm moan to my mates.I'll pass comment on here and the bounce after I've been to the games but I'd never cheer any Hibs player getting subbed, so I hope you're not including me in that comment.

Seems to me, that if you criticise a player on this web site you're talking pish/half wit/dunno what your talking about/a ****.

Spike Mandela
25-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Strange how 6-7 games of him showing lack of fitness, lack of effort, lack of undestanding with Collins and generaly poor play leads to detrators having 'rushed to judgemet on him' or having a 'knee jerk' reaction yet all those saying 'I told you so' are doing so on the basis of one decent game against Stanraer.

FWIW I thought Vine was good last night but felt Collins, Robertson and Craig were exceptional and Zoubir was exciting to watch as well.

Looks like we have an excellent squad shaping up when everyone is back fit and Vine will have to up his game and consistency to maintain his place imo. His performance last night was promising though.

hibby rae
25-09-2013, 01:37 PM
In a nutshell.

These guys spoil things for everyone around them. Last night the players apparently spent the last 5 minutes or so holding onto the ball, running down the clock, and making sure of the result. But a section of the crowd started booing them.

I might be wrong, but any team with a two-goal lead in a cup-tie closing the game down in the last few minutes is doing exactly what they should be doing.

A team pressing too hard late on can be caught on the break and lose vital goals.

Ask Hearts. Ask Celtic.

:agree: 100%

Heisenberg
25-09-2013, 01:39 PM
He did well last night. Isn't good enough to get a regular game this season though IMO.

Scouse Hibee
25-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Until he shaves that beard off I will not accept him!

Hibercelona
25-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I thought we were a bit sloppy last night to be honest. Vine played his part in a good few moves, Zoubir looks like a real good find, but you could tell he was tired in the second half. Each player showed what they were capable of, but only in glimpses.

There was still a general lack of pass and move about our play last night. Yes, we scored 5 goals thanks to some great quality shown in glimpses, but we were up against a shoddy looking defence which only looked slightly more suspect than our own. I felt we were caught on the ball a bit too often last night and looked like we were lacking ideas at times.

There's certainly potential in our team, but theres clearly still work to be done.

JimBHibees
25-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I do give the guy support at all the games, both home and away I've seen him play.If he makes a mistake I'm moan to my mates.I'll pass comment on here and the bounce after I've been to the games but I'd never cheer any Hibs player getting subbed, so I hope you're not including me in that comment.

Seems to me, that if you criticise a player on this web site you're talking pish/half wit/dunno what your talking about/a ****.

You can criticise who you want that is what Boards are for all I am saying is that he has only started playing for the club and personally I agree he hasn't started great however needs a bit more time to settle in.

Why would you think I included you in the comment about cheering him being subbed?

The cheering when subbing is completely moronic though.

Andy74
25-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Strange how 6-7 games of him showing lack of fitness, lack of effort, lack of undestanding with Collins and generaly poor play leads to detrators having 'rushed to judgemet on him' or having a 'knee jerk' reaction yet all those saying 'I told you so' are doing so on the basis of one decent game against Stanraer.

FWIW I thought Vine was good last night but felt Collins, Robertson and Craig were exceptional and Zoubir was exciting to watch as well.

Looks like we have an excellent squad shaping up when everyone is back fit and Vine will have to up his game and consistency to maintain his place imo. His performance last night was promising though.

We're talking more about people actually booing or giving him abuse during games, when he has only just arrived. He played well last night, that's all that's being said, not that he is suddenly the greatest player ever to play for us. It's a shame though that he played well and there were still people booing him when the odd thing didn't work.

Fergus52
25-09-2013, 02:27 PM
A decent percentage of our fans are proper *****.

It used to bother me but I'm over it now, nothing can change it.

Northernhibee
25-09-2013, 02:44 PM
So there we go - the new Nishy.

Poor Rowan.

JJP
25-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Last night showed to me that some in the support have made up their mind about this guy and aren't for changing. I'm not sure what these people wanted from him. He managed to set up three goals for us and around me all I heard was people abusing him every time he touched the ball and didn't set up a goal. It really started to bug me, especially after Zoubir tried a back heel that went to absolutely no one and not a sound was made by these people when Vine had tried something similar earlier and being jeered out the stadium. It wound me up more than it should so I started applauding his every contribution to try and drown out the clowns. I didn't feel the applause he received when being subbed was sarcastic though. I thought that was genuine.

hibby rae
25-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Until he shaves that beard off I will not accept him!

The beard must stay!

Signed a fellow beardy.

6 players travel to training in the Vengabus, the rest ride Vine's beard to East Mains.

LeithBoozy
25-09-2013, 03:14 PM
The beard must stay!

Signed a fellow beardy.

6 players travel to training in the Vengabus, the rest ride Vine's beard to East Mains.

He will shave it off when we win the Scottish cup, so the length of it will eventually get him into the Guinness book of records!

truehibernian
25-09-2013, 04:10 PM
I think Rowan only needs to look at Samaras at Celtic to see how polarised a support can be - Samaras was met with a chorus of boos regularly and was regularly cheered when subbed. Now however Celtic see his worth and what a good player he is - and he's a smashing player - so by resilience and 'head down' had work, Samaras has pretty much won round the whole 'Tic support.

I'll reiterate I hate hearing booing and snidey cheering when a player is subbed - but it is absolutely not unique to Hibs and the media have spun it to make it look like Hibs are lost if the support turns against them - watch Spanish football every week to see jeering, booing, hankies waved and dissent.

And I tell you what - Aberdeen fans for me are the most ignorant and most 'unsupportive' in the SPFL. At least we turn up in numbers when we are tom kite :agree::aok: still, you never hear Richard Gordon having a go at them eh.....he's got Gothenburg books to sell !

Vine may come good, but he needs to really work hard when he gets the chance - game to game not just one off showings.

Nomeancity
30-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Please accept my sincere apologies for this previous post. No idea what game I must have been watching.

truehibernian
30-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Vine......footballer......Collins......footballer. ....please.

For gods sake people open your eyes, Vine was a panic signing and Collins was third or fourth choice when we couldn't get Lyle Taylor or Higdon.

Anyone who thinks Pat had that pair 'on the radar' is kidding themselves.

As for Zoubir, we've signed the only wide player in Europe that runs like his laces are tied together - zero pace !

Maybe one day we'll get a ruthless chairman who demands success, get a right Gareth Hunt of a manager who isn't a 'nice guy', ditch players who've played in 5 seasons worth of failure in Hanlon and Lewis and who have never ever 'progressed' and get players who work for a living and want to entertain.

Hibs are a charity for me - they are too nice, too mediocre, too lenient and don't have enough arrogance - you need that to breed winners.

Gala Foxes
31-10-2013, 05:49 PM
We have had some dire forwards over the years / decades but Vine's performance last night ranks with the best of the worst

He would be better devoting some time to training & improving his "skills" rather than tweeting

Last night it was almost a comic display at times

The St Johnstone fans I bumped into at Edinburgh Airport flying to Malmo could not believe we had signed him, I can understand why

Thecat23
31-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Why start a new thread on him when there are plenty others to pick from?

Bostonhibby
31-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Have we finally filled the Kuqi role?

Last Minute
31-10-2013, 06:08 PM
the guy is a disgrace to the club and should never ever wear the famous number 9 shirt

steakbake
31-10-2013, 06:09 PM
No need for the personal abuse he got last night.

Not a good show for him last night but aiming shots at his appearance and character is not Hibs class.

S.sct
31-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Another reason to say goodbye to Pat. Absolute hopeless.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

mcfly
31-10-2013, 06:19 PM
He's not very good is he!!!

Dinkydoo
31-10-2013, 06:22 PM
And Fenlon have him the #9. What a ****ing sick joke that is.

Pretty Boy
31-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Absolute imposter.

I often think some fans confuse lack of ability with lack of effort but it seems Vine is the full package. No ability and doesn't try a leg.

Booked4Being-Ugly
31-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Rowan Vine is the type of player that makes you feel like greetin cause you chucked your old football boots in the bin!

Saorsa
31-10-2013, 07:24 PM
He's not very good is he!!!About as much use as a pogo stick on quicksand.

HibbyAndy
31-10-2013, 07:42 PM
About as much use as a pogo stick on quicksand.

:hilarious: :greengrin

As much use as an Ashtray oan a Motorbike.

hibbymick
31-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Rowan Vine is the type of player that makes you feel like greetin cause you chucked your old football boots in the bin!

:tee hee::tee hee:

Unseen work
01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
To be honest never thought he was that bad, some good link up play and looked strong holding the ball up. Created a couple of chances too. To me it was only when everyone got on his back his touch started getting bad. He had one really bad one but think that was more to do with not anticipating ross caldwells ddummy

Brooster
01-11-2013, 07:08 AM
To be honest never thought he was that bad, some good link up play and looked strong holding the ball up. Created a couple of chances too. To me it was only when everyone got on his back his touch started getting bad. He had one really bad one but think that was more to do with not anticipating ross caldwells ddummy

So let me get this right, are you saying Vine is a good player? Are you saying he played well on Wednesday? Or are you saying both?

Unseen work
01-11-2013, 07:33 AM
So let me get this right, are you saying Vine is a good player? Are you saying he played well on Wednesday? Or are you saying both?

He's not been great for us so far but would say Wednesday was his best performance and some of his play was good and as soon as he made a mistake the fans were going mental at him. Got to remember as well he hasn't been starting a lot so it does take some games to get sharpness and match fitness up.

heretoday
01-11-2013, 07:50 AM
I was about to buy some vine-ripened tomatoes in Tescos yesterday but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Off the bar
01-11-2013, 08:16 AM
I was about to buy some vine-ripened tomatoes in Tescos yesterday but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

you didn't reach to pick them up but clumsily knock them into the next aisle by mistake?

Borderhibbie76
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM

First time ive laughed since weds...cheers mate!!
On a more serious note im deeply concerned that some on here thought he played well??? Dearie me...how our standards have dropped...

Viva_Palmeiras
01-11-2013, 08:22 AM

His performances have been saved for the World Series...

steviehibsleith
01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
First time ive laughed since weds...cheers mate!!
On a more serious note im deeply concerned that some on here thought he played well??? Dearie me...how our standards have dropped...

Exactly our standards have dropped , Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon are accepted and applauded and have been part of a Hibs slide in form for the past 4/5years .

Brightside
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=steviehibsleith;3788844]Exactly our standards have dropped , Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon are accepted and applauded and have been part of a Hibs slide in form for the past 4/5years .[/QU

Both players can hold their head up right now for Hibs. Decent, hard working players.

flash
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=steviehibsleith;3788844]Exactly our standards have dropped , Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon are accepted and applauded and have been part of a Hibs slide in form for the past 4/5years .[/QU

Both players can hold their head up right now for Hibs. Decent, hard working players.

The Roberto Carlos and Maldini of the SPL in your eyes.

Brightside
01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=underscore;3788853]

The Roberto Carlos and Maldini of the SPL in your eyes.

Franco Barrisi and Danny Alves if you dont mind. :na na:

Biggie
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
He's not been great for us so far but would say Wednesday was his best performance and some of his play was good and as soon as he made a mistake the fans were going mental at him. Got to remember as well he hasn't been starting a lot so it does take some games to get sharpness and match fitness up.

Rowan son, you need to raise the bar a wee bit...Wednesday was not your finest hour (& a half)