PDA

View Full Version : Liam Craig

Unseen work
23-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately missed the game on sat, but based on the highlights looked like he had a good game and was popping up in a lot of different positions and was setting up a lot of chances and had a fair amount of shots. Glad it looks like him and the team in general have settled well.

Quite like him and Robertson as wingers as they both do smart passes and can go down the line or come inside and link up, also due to Collins and heff holding the ball up and linking well.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Liam's starting to come into his own now i think after 2 good results. long may it continue cos he's a smashing player.

Brightside
23-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately missed the game on sat, but based on the highlights looked like he had a good game and was popping up in a lot of different positions and was setting up a lot of chances and had a fair amount of shots. Glad it looks like him and the team in general have settled well.

Quite like him and Robertson as wingers as they both do smart passes and can go down the line or come inside and link up, also due to Collins and heff holding the ball up and linking well.

Neither play as actual wingers tho.. RM and LM and they drift in and out on the flanks. I would still like us to go with only 1 holding mid against the "lesser" teams tho. Thomson and Taiwo had nothing much to defend against on Sat and we could have been a bit more agressive. The stats showed that St Mirren actually had more possesion!?!

Brightside
23-09-2013, 01:29 PM
That really surprised me. I thought we were holding onto the ball well and using it wisely.

Yep - thats what it stated on BBC. There was time when they were holding the ball in midfield but actually not getting anywhere near our defence or a shot on goal. It was all gettgin lapped up by RObertson, Taiwo and Craig.. Thomson had a really quiet game as not much came at him.

PeterboroHibee
23-09-2013, 01:30 PM
The possession they had is irrelevant when you look at the number of shots - 12 vs 2, 6 vs 0 for total shots and shots on target respectively! The BBC highlights are all Hibs, with one attempt by St Mirren that went past the post.

Brightside
23-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The possession they had is irrelevant when you look at the number of shots - 12 vs 2, 6 vs 0 for total shots and shots on target respectively! The BBC highlights are all Hibs, with one attempt by St Mirren that went past the post.

Hence why i was saying we didnt need the two holding mids.

LioNeilMessi
23-09-2013, 02:05 PM
That really surprised me. I thought we were holding onto the ball well and using it wisely.

I agree but they were knocking it around the back with little inspiration quite often throughout the game.. Much like us earlier in the season.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

hfc rd
23-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Looks a great signing. Settled in really well and seems to be enjoying his football at Hibs. Could have had himself a goal or two on Saturday but he looks like that goal scoring midfield that we have not had for God knows how long?

basehibby
23-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Neither play as actual wingers tho.. RM and LM and they drift in and out on the flanks. I would still like us to go with only 1 holding mid against the "lesser" teams tho. Thomson and Taiwo had nothing much to defend against on Sat and we could have been a bit more agressive. The stats showed that St Mirren actually had more possesion!?!

I think they just got that erse aboot tit - wouldn't be the first time

RyeSloan
23-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Or conversely it could be suggested it was because we had two players in the middle of the park that stopped them playing..?

frazeHFC
23-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Can see where you are coming from but thought the balance in the team was great and PF had the tactics spot on this time. Didn't allow them to play, we had options through the middle and out wide and created loads of chances. More of the same please Hibs!

Jonnyboy
23-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Craig came very close to a Charnley re-enactment (no, swords were not involved :greengrin)

MB62
24-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Craig came very close to a Charnley re-enactment (no, swords were not involved :greengrin)

Brilliant effort that J.C. and felt the ball from his first touch just fell a smudging too close to him, not allowing him to get more power behind it. He also had one on target that moved all the place and keeper did brilliant to get one hand on it to knock it away.
Liam has a fantastic left foot on him and I hope he keeps having plenty digs at goal as he will score a few with the ability he has.
Craig and Robertson, two midfield players who like having a pop at goal, what's the world coming to? :thumbsup:

The Sea-gull
24-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Yeah, definitely a difference between a winger and a wide midfielder. Currently Craig and Robertson are playing as the latter and doing well. Whilst neither are what you might call naturals in a wide position both can do an effective job it seems.

Robertson has bundles of energy and effort and seems a confidence player. Craig is clever footballer and a class act. He is always looking to score and create and is not afraid to get stuck in.

Maybe this is just how Pat wants to play it. He is maybe just not cavalier enough for out and out wingers and feels happier with wide midfielders. It's working right at this moment though and Craig and Robertson are quality SPL players when on their game. We do have the likes of Zoubi, Harris, Cairney and even Vine, Handling or possibly Mullen if we want to mix it up a bit in the wide areas.

hibsbollah
24-09-2013, 08:15 AM
I rarely pay much attention to SPL possession stats (unless its 81% against the yams). I seriously doubt bbc scotland has the resources to measure it accurately.
Yes, Craig was outstanding.

PeterboroHibee
24-09-2013, 09:48 AM

By the fact we had significantly more shots, scored 2 goals and kept a clean sheet (whilst limiting them to only two chances) suggests the balance of the team was right.

I understand what you are saying, having a more attacking midfielder in this game probably would have had the same outcome as St Mirren are a poor team, but its about keeping consistency in the team, and building the confidence of the 11 that will likely go out every week.

MB62
24-09-2013, 10:07 AM
The stats showed that St Mirren actually had more possesion!?!

Not a surprise to me those stats as I said it at the game and in the pub afterwards. That first half in particular they had loads of possession but they just didn't do anything with it. For all the possession they had, never at any stage was I sitting biting nails just waiting for them to score.
The main stats were
Goals
Hibs 2 (going on half a dozen or more)
St. Mirren 0