PDA

View Full Version : Heff is the Driving force in his new Kitt

MB62
23-09-2013, 09:10 AM
I know Paul Heffernan now has his 'vengabus' but since changing Kitt from Kilmarnock to Hibernian, the 'Heff' has been driving us forward and has been the big difference in the past couple of weeks.

His signing was all a bit of a strange affair, goodness knows what happened at Kilmarnock for them to let him go, however, it has been great news for us. I am not saying that he is a one man show, far from it, but his signing has allowed P.F. to abandon that horrible 4-2-3-1 set up that just so obviously didn't work. Playing 'The Heff' up beside Collins has made a big difference to J.C. who was screaming out for somebody to be his foil up front, and has allowed us to play 4 across the middle.
The team looked completely different to the one that lined up against Ross County, not just on personnel but on confidence, they all looked like they knew what they were meant to be doing and looked comfortable in doing it.
What it also gave us was one of the strongest subs bench I have seen us have in a long, long time, subs that you felt could come on and actually influence the game, rather than maybe just changing the team for change sake.

Saturday was very impressive for a whole range of reasons and it was also good to see the players were still going strong right to the end, fitness levels have also obviously improved. Hopefully gone are the days when our guys are blowing out their rse's with 20 minutes to go and it's backs to the wall blooter up the park to give themselves a wee breather, WHAT A DIFFERENCE NOW!

The signing of 'The Heff' has not only given us another goal scorer, it has given us a shape that we all craved.

The future's bright, the future's GREEN & WHITE :thumbsup:

Craig_in_Prague
23-09-2013, 09:19 AM
have honestly said for a couple of years that I'd love us to sign him.
Having Griffiths obviously was fabulous but he was always destined to be heading back south.
The Heff is a very good striker and can score the type of goal he got on Sat, as well as the classy goals (not that Sat's goal was particularly easy!)
As you said, bit strange how it all happened to land him, but a very positive surprise and have felt good about our chances since he's came on board.

Thecat23
23-09-2013, 09:29 AM
He's a great penalty box striker. The one where anything that lands in the 6 yarder he will be floating about to finish. Very pleased with how he's settled and I think will be a very good signing.

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Very smart forward who knows exactly where to run and what to do with the ball. I just hope he is able to pass on his experience to the younger strikers at the club who can only benefit from his knowledge and experience.

vanNISHtelroy
23-09-2013, 09:38 AM
His signing was all a bit of a strange affair, goodness knows what happened at Kilmarnock for them to let him go, however, it has been great news for us.

He criticised the sacking of Kenny, a number of fans were surprised he played for us at the start of the season as the rumours had been he had been told he would never play for us again.

PeterboroHibee
23-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Im very pleased with his addition to the team. He works hard and links up well with Collins, and they are different enough players to give us a variety of options in front of goal (they will score different types of goals, if that makes sense).

Its also good that we have enough options up front that Fenlon almost has to play 442. Im generally a fan of the 4231 formation that he has tried to bring in, but it really doesnt work with the players we have. We are much more of a threat with 2 up top, and the more pressure we are putting on, the easier it is for our defenders.

MB62
23-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Very smart forward who knows exactly where to run and what to do with the ball. I just hope he is able to pass on his experience to the younger strikers at the club who can only benefit from his knowledge and experience.

:agree:

A penalty box striker the likes I can't remember seeing at Easter Road in a Hibs jersey for a very long time, if ever (Jimmy O'Rourke?).
As you said, it will give our younger lads another aspect of the game to look learn whilst 'The Heff' is knocking them in for us.

All of a sudden, I feel very positive about Hibs :greengrin :thumbsup:

The Sea-gull
23-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Yip, on the early evidence he has made a difference as we seem to have gone from having no goal scoring strikers to two.

Perhaps Collins is one of these strikers who are suited to a lone front role or being in the middle of a three. Some strikers need a straightforward partner and JC seems to have benefitted from this. For me neither Vine or Handling is out and out enough to play upfront as a two and maybe Pat doesn't trust Caldwell yet though I would like to see him get a shot if Heff or JC are ever injured.

Longer term I'd like to see a more natural player than Robertson play wide right but as long as he is playing well then maybe he should be kept there. I just think him and Thomson would work really well as a centre pairing in a foru man midfield and maybe Zoubi will be the wide right man once he is up to speed. I do like Taiwo though but wonder if he is better suited to a 3 or 5 man midfield or a one of two holding players rather than right in the centre of a 4 man midfield. Like Craig too and think he could do a job centrally but he is probably our best bet their just now and is a top player so would do wel where ever he plays.

Nice problem Pat has in the midfield just now as he has a few good players to try and slot in, even if we are a little too top heavy on central players. We have options too that enable us to play different systems and with Harris and Cairney (someone who I think can play wide or central) to come back from injury and not to mention the fact that Vine and Handling can play wide midfield/attacking roles, it looks as though we are well covered now in midfield roles centrally, wide and attacking.

Hibbyradge
23-09-2013, 09:54 AM
I Googled "Kitt" to find puns to add to those already on this thread and looked up the Wiki page.

If the Heff has half the abilities that Kitt had, he'll be awesome! :greengrin

Some highliights:

Silent Mode Excellent for sneaking around in the penalty box

Turbo Boost Speaks for itself.

Anamorphic Equalizer and Etymotic Equalizers We like equalisers. The more the merrier. Obviously, he's got winners too.

Flame Thrower, Tear Gas Launcher and Ultramagnesium Charges

Essential equipment for visiting the Wonga dome.

Money Dispenser He'll be popular with his team mates while out and about on George Street and this is probably the main reason Petrie signed him.

MB62
23-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I Googled "Kitt" to find puns to add to those already on this thread and looked up the Wiki page.

If the Heff has half the abilities that Kitt had, he'll be awesome! :greengrin

Some highliights:

Silent Mode Excellent for sneaking around in the penalty box

Turbo Boost Speaks for itself.

Anamorphic Equalizer and Etymotic Equalizers We like equalisers. The more the merrier. Obviously, he's got winners too.

Flame Thrower, Tear Gas Launcher and Ultramagnesium Charges

Essential equipment for visiting the Wonga dome.

Money Dispenser He'll be popular with his team mates while out and about on George Street and this is probably the main reason Petrie signed him.

I was initially thinking that, given his age, he might like to sit out the league cup game tomorrow night. Then I realised, The Heff is a Knight Rider and would relish the game tomorrow.:greengrin

stu in nottingham
23-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Paul Heffernan spent around five years of his early career here in Nottingham at Notts County (100 appearances and 35 goals). The general consensus was that he was a 'bit too good' for them.

I think he is going to make a big difference at Easter Road.

Keith_M
23-09-2013, 10:33 AM
I was initially thinking that, given his age, he might like to sit out the league cup game tomorrow night. Then I realised, The Heff is a Knight Rider and would relish the game tomorrow.:greengrin

I think he's cup tied.

Bit of a bummer, as he can't score the winning goal in the final.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2013, 10:35 AM
...except he's cup tied.

Scuse my ignorance of all Things SFA rules-related is he cup-tied for the whole comp or just one round?

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Paul Heffernan spent around five years of his early career here in Nottingham at Notts County (100 appearances and 35 goals). The general consensus was that he was a 'bit too good' for them.

I think he is going to make a big difference at Easter Road.

I think he also had a decent run at Doncaster not so long ago. IMO if he stays fit he will be a big player for us this season in terms of goals and also helping players around him get better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Heffernan

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Scuse my ignorance of all Things SFA rules-related is he cup-tied for the whole comp or just one round?

Whole competition unfortunately he played for Killie in teh League cup before he signed for us.

Heedersnvolleys
23-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I think it is more simple than all above it just gives defences someone else to worry about. When big JC was up there in his own as long as teams handled him they really had little else to worry about! Now they have double trouble ;-)

clerriehibs
23-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I know Paul Heffernan now has his 'vengabus' but since changing Kitt from Kilmarnock to Hibernian, the 'Heff' has been driving us forward and has been the big difference in the past couple of weeks.

His signing was all a bit of a strange affair, goodness knows what happened at Kilmarnock for them to let him go, however, it has been great news for us. I am not saying that he is a one man show, far from it, but his signing has allowed P.F. to abandon that horrible 4-2-3-1 set up that just so obviously didn't work. Playing 'The Heff' up beside Collins has made a big difference to J.C. who was screaming out for somebody to be his foil up front, and has allowed us to play 4 across the middle.
The team looked completely different to the one that lined up against Ross County, not just on personnel but on confidence, they all looked like they knew what they were meant to be doing and looked comfortable in doing it.
What it also gave us was one of the strongest subs bench I have seen us have in a long, long time, subs that you felt could come on and actually influence the game, rather than maybe just changing the team for change sake.

Saturday was very impressive for a whole range of reasons and it was also good to see the players were still going strong right to the end, fitness levels have also obviously improved. Hopefully gone are the days when our guys are blowing out their rse's with 20 minutes to go and it's backs to the wall blooter up the park to give themselves a wee breather, WHAT A DIFFERENCE NOW!

The signing of 'The Heff' has not only given us another goal scorer, it has given us a shape that we all craved.

The future's bright, the future's GREEN & WHITE :thumbsup:

Having a bit of ball retention ability instead of chasing it the whole game also helps to prevent "blowing out your erse" syndrome. Our players are now looking to hold onto it instead of just getting rid which they were all too guilty of previously.

Keith_M
23-09-2013, 10:45 AM

Whole competition

:boo hoo:

MB62
23-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I think it is more simple than all above it just gives defences someone else to worry about. When big JC was up there in his own as long as teams handled him they really had little else to worry about! Now they have double trouble ;-)

I would certainly say that is part of it.
Remember last season when 2-0 up at home against Motherwell and P.F. subs both Griffiths & Doyle. McColl right away takes off a defender and puts on another attacking player and we lost 3-2.
Both Collins and The Heff are excellent at shutting defenders down and Collins in particular chases what looks like lost causes, only to put pressure on defenders to make mistakes.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2013, 01:55 PM
Whole competition unfortunately he played for Killie in the League cup before he signed for us.

Thx. C'est la vie!

Dunno what I think about at them is the rules but trying to follow the logic? In a way its kinda restriction of trade?
Then again I'm not in real thinking mode...

TRC
23-09-2013, 10:44 PM
seem to remember fenlon changing last season to 4231 against Celtic in the 1-0 then he very rarely changed it back? this seemed to be the start of the downwards spiral IMHO

CallumLaidlaw
23-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Having Heffernan in the starting line up in the last 2 games has made a MASSIVE difference. Very clever footballer, links play well.

cam75
23-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Little and large strikers and looks a good partnership so far,with the attacking mids and solid back line,with a bench that could improve the 1st 11,bar 1 -3 positions,PF could bare fruits for a good season:)
GGTTH

nonshinyfinish
23-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Little and large strikers and looks a good partnership so far,with the attacking mids and solid back line,with a bench that could improve the 1st 11,bar 1 -3 positions,PF could bare fruits for a good season:)
GGTTH

Bear.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/11/14/1352905427316/Polar-Bear-009.jpg

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Having Heffernan in the starting line up in the last 2 games has made a MASSIVE difference. Very clever footballer, links play well.

Delighted when he signed, although its still early doors, feeling a bit more encouraged for the season now. Robertson looks like he's coming on to a game now too.

Hibbyradge
24-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Bear.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/11/14/1352905427316/Polar-Bear-009.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1IKFDV83-lU/TiyPC9pdaLI/AAAAAAAAAE8/WyfkIDQHu3o/s1600/b3arfruit.tumblr.png

cam75
24-09-2013, 12:09 AM
No bare I want the chicken dance :-)
GGTTH

JimBHibees
24-09-2013, 10:04 AM
:agree:

A penalty box striker the likes I can't remember seeing at Easter Road in a Hibs jersey for a very long time, if ever (Jimmy O'Rourke?).
As you said, it will give our younger lads another aspect of the game to look learn whilst 'The Heff' is knocking them in for us.

All of a sudden, I feel very positive about Hibs :greengrin :thumbsup:

I would say Archibald would be a decent comparison in terms of know how and movement. The way he took his goal on Saturday was excellent movement and timing of the run.