The Sea-gull
23-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Inverness (away)
Partick (away)
Celtic (home)
Aberdeen (home)
Motherwell (away)
Inverness (home)

That is a tough old run, tougher than our first 6/7 games of the season anyway so I'm keeping my feet on the ground as it will be tough to maintain the recent good run. Definitely looking at these games with a bit more optimism than I was about a month or so ago.

Even if we do get a good set of results out of these that takes us to mid-November and how many times have we been doing ok up until around then before the season collapses as a result of our almost annual winter slump.

If Pat can keep things going over the winter and into the spring then and only then, will I believe he is the man for us. I'm not saying I don't believe in him, the jury for me is still out and this season has always been judgement day for him. There will probably be ups and downs along the way but the real call on Pat is at the end of the season or if it becomes apparent that we will not be a top 6 club this season, whichever comes first. Unless of course we go on another of his disaster runs in which case the debate reopens early.

Still believe top 6 will be tough to get into this year - Celtic, Inverness, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Dundee United almost look like certs for me already so it could mean we are fighting with St Johnstone and maybe Ross Co if they can get their act together, for the last spot. On the other hand, we have to have belief in our squad and they have to believe in themsleves as second is not an outrageous target.

Borderhibbie76
23-09-2013, 09:09 AM
I agree its a tough run of games but dont see why you would say dundee utd are certs for top 6?? They are a young team who will no doubt have their ups and downs. ..I would agree that the other 4 look like top 6 AT THE MOMENT but it's very early days yet!! Who would have thought this time last year that ross Co and st Johnstone would make top 6???

The Sea-gull
23-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I agree its a tough run of games but dont see why you would say dundee utd are certs for top 6?? They are a young team who will no doubt have their ups and downs. ..I would agree that the other 4 look like top 6 AT THE MOMENT but it's very early days yet!! Who would have thought this time last year that ross Co and st Johnstone would make top 6???

Yeah, on relflection maybe saying United are certs is a bit strong as, like you say, they have a lot of young players who will blow hot and cold as will their young manager but if they click I think they could be a free scoring team which is likely to stand them in good stead.

Would never have thought Ross Co would be top 6 last season but did always feel St Johnstone were a strong squad. Not so sure about this season though which will hopefully open it up a bit for us.

Appreciate Ross County (and to an extent Inverness) came from left field last season but I cannot see, even at this early stage, Partick, Killie, St Mirren or Hearts getting near the top 6 so it could already be that 8 teams are fighting for it with possibly 4 teams looking highly likely to be there. As you say early days though and if any of that bottom 4 can get their act together I'd wager Partick or Killie over St Mirren or Hearts. It would be some season if the Yams get any where near the top 6!

Hibercelona
23-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Lets not get too far ahead. Lets just tackle each game as it comes along. Dare I say that we're starting to look like a bit of a team. I think the lads still have more to prove and may surprise quite a few of us.

southsider
23-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Lets not get too far ahead. Lets just tackle each game as it comes along. Dare I say that we're starting to look like a bit of a team. I think the lads still have more to prove and may surprise quite a few of us.

You are right as one swallow does not make a summer but hopefully things are starting to look a little brighter. GGTTH

Allan45
23-09-2013, 10:01 AM
We are a team now, look at how the players reacted to our goals on Saturday, I think we will get a draw too at ICT.
Players playing now but 3 weeks ago there was something wrong. Keep playing hard, ggthh..

PeterboroHibee
23-09-2013, 10:22 AM
I think its really hard to predict what we are going to do at the moment, and just need to take one game at a time. Inverness away is a tough game, and they have just been beaten for the first time this season, so they will be looking for a good response. If we can continue to play well and create chances over this run of games then I will be happy enough, as I think that will see us pick up a good few points.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Inverness (away)
Partick (away)
Celtic (home)
Aberdeen (home)
Motherwell (away)
Inverness (home)

That is a tough old run, tougher than our first 6/7 games of the season anyway so I'm keeping my feet on the ground as it will be tough to maintain the recent good run. Definitely looking at these games with a bit more optimism than I was about a month or so ago.

Even if we do get a good set of results out of these that takes us to mid-November and how many times have we been doing ok up until around then before the season collapses as a result of our almost annual winter slump.

If Pat can keep things going over the winter and into the spring then and only then, will I believe he is the man for us. I'm not saying I don't believe in him, the jury for me is still out and this season has always been judgement day for him. There will probably be ups and downs along the way but the real call on Pat is at the end of the season or if it becomes apparent that we will not be a top 6 club this season, whichever comes first. Unless of course we go on another of his disaster runs in which case the debate reopens early.

Still believe top 6 will be tough to get into this year - Celtic, Inverness, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Dundee United almost look like certs for me already so it could mean we are fighting with St Johnstone and maybe Ross Co if they can get their act together, for the last spot. On the other hand, we have to have belief in our squad and they have to believe in themsleves as second is not an outrageous target.

What manager in recent times or historically has managed that? (off top of head Mcleish and Mowbray possible Collins). Hibstory will document what Pat brought/brings statistically.

The "unwritten" stuff that should be in progress (changing culture/mentality/introduction and development of youth/improving scouting?) maybe ultimately more telling for the club.

offshorehibby
23-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd like to take one game at a time. Saturday will be a big test to how far we've come over the last couple of weeks. If you gave me a draw right now i would probably take it.
If we are heading in the right direction then 10-12 points is achievable.

hfc rd
23-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Take it one game at a time. Starting tomorrow against Stranraer and then onto Inverness. No doubt those league games look tough on paper but I feel that we have the potential to take a good chunk of points out of those games. My prediction at this moment would be something like DWLWDW.

Islington Hibs
23-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Inverness (away)
Partick (away)
Celtic (home)
Aberdeen (home)
Motherwell (away)
Inverness (home)

Will be very interesting as a tough run. I am modestly confident but will go along way to seeing if we really have a team, or not. No reason we should not be aiming for 10+ points. We seem tight at the back and now have some genuine options going forward.

LeithBoozy
23-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Will be very interesting as a tough run. I am modestly confident but will go along way to seeing if we really have a team, or not. No reason we should not be aiming for 10+ points. We seem tight at the back and now have some genuine options going forward.

I agree with this, anyone not pulling their weight will not last long. We now have very good cover and they will all be trying to get into the team. I cant wait until all the guys are fit again, we have a very strong looking squad, long time since we could say that. :wink:

Kaff
23-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I agree with this, anyone not pulling their weight will not last long. We now have very good cover and they will all be trying to get into the team. I cant wait until all the guys are fit again, we have a very strong looking squad, long time since we could say that. :wink:

Celtic game comes after the international break, could work in our favour with their squad scattered around the globe?
Keep our form and confidence up and i'm thinking a point could be the least we achieve.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-09-2013, 07:46 PM
The thread from the first game of last season reappeared on here last week. It was when Dundee Utd humped us 3-0. There were folk on the thread after the game saying that Utd would quite clearly finish 2nd. I thought they'd be up there after that game as well to be honest. As it is, they sneaked in to the top 6 with a cheated draw against us and a last minute goal in the final game before the split. Too early to make a judgement on them this season I reckon.

Bronson
23-09-2013, 08:27 PM
From those games I'll be looking for 10 points, 3 off aberdeen ICT (home) and partick (away) plus a point at fir park.

Don't think that's unrealistic considering the squad we have.

The Sea-gull
24-09-2013, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=Bronson;3754767]From those games I'll be looking for 10 points, 3 off aberdeen ICT (home) and partick (away) plus a point at fir park.

Don't think that's unrealistic considering the squad we have.[/QUO

:agree: Anything less than 9 points and questions start getting asked again. We have the squad to challenege now and are starting to settle. We should now be looking to wee spells like this and thinking these are games we need to take points in if we are going to be at least a top half of the table team.

9 points from 18 is definitely a realistic minimum target. Doesn't really matter where we get them but all you are talking is perhaps a win at Firrhill, a win at home to ICT and then chuck in a win against either Aberdeen at home or at Fir Park and we've got the 9. It's not beyond us to pick up points in the other games too but 9 points is the minimum we should expect and accept. Anything around the 12/13/14 mark and it would represent a very decent return given how tough these games will be.