PDA

View Full Version : Di Canio sacked

1two
22-09-2013, 08:36 PM
As it says.

Should never have been appointed in the first place but surprised he never got longer

Billy Whizz
22-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Woah, board obviously saw it wasn't working and have pressed the panic button.
Who's favourite for this job now!

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 08:40 PM
McLeish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Billy Whizz
22-09-2013, 08:42 PM
McLeish.

You really think so?

sleeping giant
22-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Is this confirmed anywhere ?:confused:

Billy Whizz
22-09-2013, 08:43 PM

Yes on SSN now

Allant1981
22-09-2013, 08:43 PM

Its on the bbc's website

jonty
22-09-2013, 08:45 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24199626

Jonnyboy
22-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Di Canio out

Somebody who knows what the **** they're doing, in

Hibercelona
22-09-2013, 08:51 PM
The mans a nutter. But a bit hastey no?

marinello59
22-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Good. The man is a total ****.

PatHead
22-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Standing on the pitch gesturing to the supporters after yesterday's game won't have helped.

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 08:57 PM
You really think so?

Makes sense. Fringe EPL manager with experience and has won trophies both sides of the border and currently unemployed.

Bostonhibby
22-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Bellend of a man, glad he's gone and hopefully out of British football forever but sunderland need to get it right next time.

Northernhibee
22-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Was hoping he'd be at Sunderland longer to be further humiliated. Horrible man, horrible politics, horrible man manager, odious wee prick who fined players for not playing the way he wanted when actually he was a petulant little *****bag on the pitch when he played.

Pretty Boy
22-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Total prick of a man and way out his depth.

Should never have been appointed but acting now to rectify the mistake at least gives them a chance of staying up.

blaikie
22-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Tony Pulis would be a good appointment for Sunderland, Better manager than McLeish for a start. Even some of the old Man Utd coaches like Phelan are looking for work.

Holmesdale Hibs
22-09-2013, 09:19 PM
A bellend and should never have been appointed. WTF, they could have had Martin O'Niell.

I'll miss him though, in terms of entertainment value he's the best in the league

hfc rd
22-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Couldn't stand him. Absolute nutter and a complete bellend of a guy. Got a feeling he could get the Bolton job as that Dougie Freedman looks very likely in being the first championship manager to get the sack. Don't know who Sunderland will go for. Di Matteo? Grant? Lennon? Zola? Really don't know.

frazeHFC
A bit surprised to see him gone but the fans never took to him and results are shocking so suppose the board want to react sooner rather than later!

HTD1875
Spent a fortune buying a whole new starting eleven, yet Sunderland are still playing the likes of John O'Shea and Ji. Surely says a lot about the gash he has brought in next manager has a real job on his hands massively expensive championship level squad.

Haymaker
22-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Complete cockwomble, spent a load, slagged his players off and acted like a twat that he is.

PeterboroHibee
22-09-2013, 09:24 PM
This appointment was never going to work out. Publicly slating your players for the slightest things is an odd approach to management, and its no surprise the players wouldnt turn up and fight for him.

I didnt realise he had only been in charge for 13 games, but even in that time he had become very tiresome. Sunderland do look a bit foolish having backed him quite well during the summer, but in the end this is still the right decision, they need someone sensible in charge of the club.

Haymaker
22-09-2013, 09:25 PM
A bellend and should never have been appointed. WTF, they could have had Martin O'Niell.

I'll miss him though, in terms of entertainment value he's the best in the league

Didnt he replace o'neill?

hfc rd
22-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Spent a fortune buying a whole new starting eleven, yet Sunderland are still playing the likes of John O'Shea and Ji. Surely says a lot about the gash he has brought in next manager has a real job on his hands massively expensive championship level squad.

Plus selling their creative playmaker in Sessegnon to a fellow EPL side and losing your best striker in Steven Fletcher for another lengthy spell with a shoulder injury. Just going from bad to worse for those black cats.

PISTOL1875
22-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Was hoping he'd be at Sunderland longer to be further humiliated. Horrible man, horrible politics, horrible man manager, odious wee prick who fined players for not playing the way he wanted when actually he was a petulant little *****bag on the pitch when he played.

I think you will find he fined his players for behaving like bell-ends , Phil Bardsley ring any bells..

Terrible manager I agree , wanted his players to work 9-5 every day , stay off the bevvy and stop eating crap and act and conduct themselves like professionals both on and off the park.. Where have we heard that before ??

Holmesdale Hibs
22-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Didnt he replace o'neill?

That's what I meant. They weren't great last season but replacing O'Niell with Di Canio was baffling.

Haymaker
22-09-2013, 09:31 PM
That's what I meant. They weren't great last season but replacing O'Niell with Di Canio was baffling.

Sorry pal, must have misunderstood! Thought you were saying they could have gotten MoN in instead when he replaced him!

Holmesdale Hibs
22-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Sorry pal, must have misunderstood! Thought you were saying they could have gotten MoN in instead when he replaced him!

No worries, probably not my clearest of posts.

Hope he manages to get another job somewhere as his chat is hilarious. Locke out, Di Canio in.

HTD1875
22-09-2013, 09:37 PM

O'Neil wasn't much better to be fair

Bostonhibby
22-09-2013, 09:38 PM
No worries, probably not my clearest of posts.

Hope he manages to get another job somewhere as his chat is hilarious. Locke out, Di Canio in.

Hearts class right enough, but the war could be an issue.

Eyrie
22-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Woah, board obviously saw it wasn't working and have pressed the panic button.
Who's favourite for this job now!

Nick Griffen has been suggested on Twitter.

Northernhibee
22-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I think you will find he fined his players for behaving like bell-ends , Phil Bardsley ring any bells..

Terrible manager I agree , wanted his players to work 9-5 every day , stay off the bevvy and stop eating crap and act and conduct themselves like professionals both on and off the park.. Where have we heard that before ??

The amount of fines reportedly handed out for supposed bad behaviour when his behaviour as a player was poor (remember him sitting on the pitch demanding to be subbed?) just shows the arrogance of the man.

Di Canio - always wrong, all the time.

marinello59
22-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Nick Griffen has been suggested on Twitter.

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I used to think that clown Maloveef (sp) was mad, but Di Canio even eclipses him. Funny to watch him, but you'd hate him at your club.

rosco-hibee
22-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Tony Pulis is a great shout for the Sunderland job.

HibbyAndy
22-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Guy was a twat lets be honest

Speedy
22-09-2013, 09:50 PM

It was a surprise but was far from baffling.

The team was going nowhere and needed a boot up the arse to avoid relegation. They got that but it was always a risk longer term.

Pete
22-09-2013, 09:52 PM
If I had to name one player from the past 30 years who I thought had the worst personality for football management it would be him.

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Not trying to start a political debate, but i'm delighted to see the back of this total erse o' a man. right wing facist, and the SAFC knew that when they appointed him. It certainly did not go down well with the fans, and their affiliation with the old Wearmouth Colliery miners, especially when they built the new stadium on the ex-colliery site. the old union banner stood proudly in the entrance of the ground and was removed, by the ex- union officials on a point of principal after the appointment of this prick as manager of the black cats.I'm delighted he's gone. 13 games, didnae take them long to find him oot. pity they even let him in the swing door!

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Nick Griffen has been suggested on Twitter. aye, good one. that's funny as f/ck:rolleyes:

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 09:57 PM
I used to think that clown Maloveef (sp) was mad, but Di Canio even eclipses him. Funny to watch him, but you'd hate him at your club.sorry, not even funny to see a tit like him

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 09:59 PM
It was a surprise but was far from baffling.

The team was going nowhere and needed a boot up the arse to avoid relegation. They got that but it was always a risk longer term.the fans got a kick in the baws, when he was appointed

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2013, 10:00 PM
sorry, not even funny to see a tit like him

I never asked you if you thought he was funny, i find his actions and the way he conducts himself as a manager funny. :confused:

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 10:08 PM
I never asked you if you thought he was funny, i find his actions and the way he conducts himself as a manager funny. :confused:you did "suggest" that he was funny. your technically correct in that: you never asked me personally if I thought he was funny. but to take it a bit further without waiting on your next post..............I DO think he is a Fanny, all about opinions and after all that's what this forum is about, naw?

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2013, 10:11 PM
you did "suggest" that he was funny. your technically correct in that: you never asked me personally if I thought he was funny. but to take it a bit further without waiting on your next post..............I DO think he is a Fanny, all about opinions and after all that's what this forum is about, naw?

You actually said (not even funny to see a tit like him) I agree he is a tit, or even a fanny as you also said. I also think his antics on the pitch are hilarious, my opinion. :wink:

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 10:15 PM
You actually said (not even funny to see a tit like him) I agree he is a tit, or even a fanny as you also said. I also think his antics on the pitch are hilarious, my opinion. :wink:no, I said:sorry, not even funny, which surely suggests that it was my personal opinion.?

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2013, 10:18 PM
no, I said:sorry, not even funny, which surely suggests that it was my personal opinion.?

Which i disagreed with, i'm right.

monktonharp
22-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Which i disagreed with, i'm right.I once thought that I was wrong about something. turns out, I was right all the time:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2013, 10:32 PM
I once thought that I was wrong about something. turns out, I was right all the time:rolleyes:

:greengrin, I'm still right. :wink:

Sir David Gray
22-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Not a surprise.

He's a really strange and complex character and not someone I would want at my club.

His behaviour at the end of the game yesterday was weird to say the least.

snooky
22-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Di Canio and Sunderland - a match made in heaven?
Well, it had to be cos surely nobody on earth thought that they would make a good pair.

Get Owen Coyle in there.

Haymaker
22-09-2013, 11:15 PM
To be fair he was never going to stay long after realising it was Sunderland not Sudetenland...

Andy74
22-09-2013, 11:18 PM
James Collins seems happy! :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
22-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Di Matteo. Get your mortgage on it.

weonlywon6-2
23-09-2013, 06:11 AM

He's a poacher turned gamekeeper.good player in his day but i agree,he's a dafty now

gorgie greens
23-09-2013, 06:48 AM
He's a poacher turned gamekeeper.good player in his day but i agree,he's a dafty now

what now,hes always been one ,daft as a brush,agree with Blackpool Hibs i found him funny ,total fruitloob ,i would hate to have him as a manager of my team,

RoslinInstHibby
23-09-2013, 07:07 AM

were they his signings though?

No doubt he will come out in the press over the next day or two and say that the director of football caused the problems, werent his signings blah blah blah.

carnoustiehibee
23-09-2013, 07:32 AM
As much as Di Canio was a complete screwball this whole scenario has a touch of the John Collins factor about it.

Away for a peak on the makems forums

leithsansiro
23-09-2013, 07:42 AM

This, 100%. Actually, pretty much all of the comments here about him are spot on.

Posh Swanny
23-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Agreed. Could have at least waited until tomorrow night anyway! It looked set to be one of the few occasions where a League One side started as favourites at a Premier League side! Alas, they've lost their bottle again. Just like they did last time they were scheduled to get smashed by a rampant Posh when they appointed O'Neill.

Sweet Left Peg
23-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Not surprised by this. My brother in law was at a function last week with Ellis Short. He asked him about Di Canio and how he was getting on. Short replied "Man, that guy needs to just shut his mouth"

PeterboroHibee
23-09-2013, 09:33 AM
As much as Di Canio was a complete screwball this whole scenario has a touch of the John Collins factor about it.

Away for a peak on the makems forums

In what way?

hfc rd
23-09-2013, 11:13 AM
In what way?

The player revolt. Going to the chairman about their unhappiness about the manager.

--------
23-09-2013, 11:39 AM
I once thought that I was wrong about something. turns out, I was right all the time:rolleyes:

:greengrin, I'm still right. :wink:

Neither of you are as far right as Di Canio. :wink:

CyberSauzee
23-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Oh dear...

https://twitter.com/Boylesports/status/382089792722194432/photo/1

PeterboroHibee
23-09-2013, 12:11 PM
The player revolt. Going to the chairman about their unhappiness about the manager.

The players did turn against Collins, but it was never as public as it was with Di Canio - from the moment he became manager it was a circus, and even though he was the manager, theres only so much you can take (even the viewing public were largely fed up of him). I think its understandable the players turned against him, I wouldnt be particularly happy in my job if my manager regularly shouted at me and told me how poor I was at my job! What makes it worse is he wouldnt even keep it behind closed doors, he was criticizing his players every week in the media.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I'll miss him, he was entertaining in his interviews and stuff. Call him what you want he was a cracking player in his day.

Nobody gave a toss about his so called views or beliefs when he was at swindon so why all the fuss now?

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I'll miss him, he was entertaining in his interviews and stuff. Call him what you want he was a cracking player in his day.

Nobody gave a toss about his so called views or beliefs when he was at swindon so why all the fuss now?

Yes they did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389305/Sponsors-cut-ties-Swindon-Paolo-di-Canios-fascist-views.html

Andy74
23-09-2013, 12:25 PM
He is an idiot but you have to wonder about football clubs. They must have given him the job knowing his character and backing what he would bring and what changes he would need to make. I don't think anyone can do that over such a short period.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Yes they did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1389305/Sponsors-cut-ties-Swindon-Paolo-di-Canios-fascist-views.html

no-one on here i meant. folk brandishing the guy a fascist when they dont even know him. one stupid mistake in a derby when passions running high hardly makes the guy a fascist.

Scouse Hibee
23-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Will be remembered by me as a very good player and a character as a manager. I couldn't care less about his politics.

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Makes sense. Fringe EPL manager with experience and has won trophies both sides of the border and currently unemployed.

Why GJP has failed in his last 2 or 3 jobs?

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2013, 12:32 PM
no-one on here i meant. folk brandishing the guy a fascist when they dont even know him. one stupid mistake in a derby when passions running high hardly makes the guy a fascist.

He is a self-proclaimed fascist. He is an admirer of Mussolini. The "one stupid mistake" was repeated in a number of games. " I will always salute as I did because it gives me a sense of belonging to my people ... I saluted my people with what for me is a sign of belonging to a group that holds true values, values of civility against the standardisation that this society imposes upon us."

According to Wikipedia, his back is covered with a tattoo of fascist imagery, including an eagle, fasces and a portrait of Mussolini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305295/Paolo-Di-Canio-tattoo-Just-days-renouncing-fascism-Mussolini-design-revealed.html

Seveno
23-09-2013, 12:34 PM
The guy is a total nutter. An ideal candidate to replace Locke if Romanov had still been in charge.

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 12:36 PM

He admitted he is a fascist.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 12:46 PM
He is a self-proclaimed fascist. He is an admirer of Mussolini. The "one stupid mistake" was repeated in a number of games. " I will always salute as I did because it gives me a sense of belonging to my people ... I saluted my people with what for me is a sign of belonging to a group that holds true values, values of civility against the standardisation that this society imposes upon us."

According to Wikipedia, his back is covered with a tattoo of fascist imagery, including an eagle, fasces and a portrait of Mussolini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305295/Paolo-Di-Canio-tattoo-Just-days-renouncing-fascism-Mussolini-design-revealed.html

How do you know he's an admirer of Mussolini do you know him? He spoke about that quote at length both in the guardian and on television when folk just decided to give him a hard time as soon as he got the sunderland job, because he had a great admiration for the Lazio fans who have a rather shady reputation. at no point in that quote does he state he's an admirer of Mussolini?

Having been an admirer of Di Canio for many years (purely footballing reasons) he was brought up surrounded by the type of people you are brandishing him to be, these beliefs were forced upon him from and early age and he was easilly led, hence the tattoos.

Point is basically we all make mistakes as did he, since his journey into football management began he's admitted his mistakes and just wanted to get on with his football, id say thats fair enough.

As Scouse says, i'll always remember him for being a smashing player and an entertaining manager, ive no doubt he'll find himself in another job soon.

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 12:48 PM
How do you know he's an admirer of Mussolini do you know him? He spoke about that quote at length both in the guardian and on television when folk just decided to give him a hard time as soon as he got the sunderland job, because he had a great admiration for the Lazio fans who have a rather shady reputation. at no point in that quote does he state he's an admirer of Mussolini?

Having been an admirer of Di Canio for many years (purely footballing reasons) he was brought up surrounded by the type of people you are brandishing him to be, these beliefs were forced upon him from and early age and he was easilly led, hence the tattoos.

Point is basically we all make mistakes as did he, since his journey into football management began he's admitted his mistakes and just wanted to get on with his football, id say thats fair enough.

As Scouse says, i'll always remember him for being a smashing player and an entertaining manager, ive no doubt he'll find himself in another job soon.

What a crock that is. Does he not have a mind of his own?

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 12:50 PM
What a crock that is. Does he not have a mind of his own?

Hows that? he said it. we all make mistakes.

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2013, 12:50 PM

He said so in his autobiography. "I am fascinated by Mussolini," Di Canio wrote. "I think he was a deeply misunderstood k individual. He deceived people. His actions were often vile. But all this was motivated by a higher purpose. He was basically a very principled individual. Yet he turned against his sense of right and wrong. He compromised his ethics."

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 12:54 PM
He said so in his autobiography. "I am fascinated by Mussolini," Di Canio wrote. "I think he was a deeply misunderstood k individual. He deceived people. His actions were often vile. But all this was motivated by a higher purpose. He was basically a very principled individual. Yet he turned against his sense of right and wrong. He compromised his ethics."

yes, ive read it. thats basically what i just said. maybe read his book before brandishing the guy a fascist. im sure once youve finished reading it your views on him will change.

easty
23-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is 'entertaining' I suppose. I found his interviews and stuff quite pathetic, and about as entertaining as Keith Lemon, the Nemi column in The Metro, or a kick in the baws.

I'm glad he's been sacked, the guy is a welt.

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2013, 12:58 PM
yes, ive read it. thats basically what i just said. maybe read his book before brandishing the guy a fascist. im sure once youve finished reading it your views on him will change.

You asked me my authority for calling him an admirer of Mussolini. I just gave it.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 01:01 PM
You asked me my authority for calling him an admirer of Mussolini. I just gave it.

How does that confirm he's an admirer? he admits to being "fascinated" by him but goes on to say his actions were vile?

as i said, maybe read the rest of the book before passing judgement. like the guy or not its actually quite a good read.

blackpoolhibs
23-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Neither of you are as far right as Di Canio. :wink:

I think he's a funny fanny, so i'm 100% correct. :wink:

CropleyWasGod
23-09-2013, 02:08 PM
How does that confirm he's an admirer? he admits to being "fascinated" by him but goes on to say his actions were vile?

as i said, maybe read the rest of the book before passing judgement. like the guy or not its actually quite a good read.

I'm not passing judgement, merely countering your statements with what is in the public domain.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm not passing judgement, merely countering your statements with what is in the public domain.

what an enjoyable way to spend your monday afternoon. :wink:

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 02:46 PM

He was clearly an admirer as outlined by the bold. He is clearly trying to weazle out of saying what he feels IMO. So IMO he admires Mussolini and gives Nazi salutes, would be difficult to say he wasnt a fascist.

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 02:56 PM
He was clearly an admirer as outlined by the bold. He is clearly trying to weazle out of saying what he feels IMO. So IMO he admires Mussolini and gives Nazi salutes, would be difficult to say he wasnt a fascist.

wow. in the time it took you to type that mince you could have googled the salute he made and seen it wasnt a nazi one.

JimBHibees
23-09-2013, 03:03 PM
wow. in the time it took you to type that mince you could have googled the salute he made and seen it wasnt a nazi one.

You are obviously an expert on this subject and seem to be going out of your way to defend Di Canio and his politics even caring enough to differentiate between one fascist salute and another. As for googling why would I want to even subject myself to that hate filled nonsense.

You sound like a Rangers fan, 'Oh its not a Nazi salute, its an Ulster red hand salute, we believe in the same things but there different".

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 03:08 PM
You are obviously an expert on this subject and seem to be going out of your way to defend Di Canio and his politics even caring enough to differentiate between one fascist salute and another. As for googling why would I want to even subject myself to that hate filled nonsense.

You sound like a Rangers fan, 'Oh its not a Nazi salute, its an Ulster red hand salute, we believe in the same things but there different".

the mind boggles.

weonlywon6-2
23-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I think he will go back to Italy now,probably even start playing again
Im sure hes good on the right wing

brian6-2
23-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I think he will go back to Italy now,probably even start playing again
Im sure hes good on the right wing

"when in rome" :wink:

Barney McGrew
23-09-2013, 03:55 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/10328138/Paolo-Di-Canio-sacked-as-Sunderland-manager-after-massive-player-rebellion-undermined-his-authority.html

Telegraph reporting that it was a player rebellion a-la- John Collins that saw him punted.

hibbydog
23-09-2013, 05:18 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/10328138/Paolo-Di-Canio-sacked-as-Sunderland-manager-after-massive-player-rebellion-undermined-his-authority.html

Telegraph reporting that it was a player rebellion a-la- John Collins that saw him punted.

It will be interesting to see how Sunderland recover from this. The Hibs player rebellion is still seen by many as the turning point for our current troubles, even 6 years later

Different circumstances though, and if that article is to be believed, Di Canio is an even bigger hole than he's ever been recognition for....

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Good player for The Hammers.

OsloHibs
23-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is 'entertaining' I suppose. I found his interviews and stuff quite pathetic, and about as entertaining as Keith Lemon, the Nemi column in The Metro, or a kick in the baws.

I'm glad he's been sacked, the guy is a welt.

What's wrong with Nemi???

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-09-2013, 08:32 PM
What's wrong with Nemi???

It makes Bruce Forsyth look funny by comparison.