PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeeper at tynecastle after the 0-7 game.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2013, 08:16 PM
What was his name, i remember we signed him not long before maybe from Airdrie, but i'm damned if i can remember his name, or the score? :wink:

Aldo
20-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Herriot was it not

Sorry just read the 'after' bit

Back in ma box

scoopyboy
20-09-2013, 08:23 PM
What was his name, i remember we signed him not long before maybe from Airdrie, but i'm damned if i can remember his name, or the score? :wink:

IIRC we signed Roddy McKenzie from Airdrie, couldn't argue if he was in goals for that game though.

eastterrace
20-09-2013, 08:27 PM
IIRC we signed Roddy McKenzie from Airdrie, couldn't argue if he was in goals for that game though.

roddy mackenzie played in the 4-1 defeat from hearts back at tynie after the 7-0 game and he was mince

CropleyWasGod
20-09-2013, 08:28 PM

He was. Sold a couple of the goals IIRC.

Hiber-nation
20-09-2013, 08:37 PM
He was. Sold a couple of the goals IIRC.

:agree:

He was murder. Jim McArthur had just broken into the team and played well in the 1-0 Dryburgh Cup Final, then Eddie goes and pitches McKenzie in at Tynie.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2013, 08:38 PM

Thats the one, was discussing it with someone today and couldn't for the life of me remember who it was.

He was crap, but remember thinking what a good signing he'd always played well against us.

Sound familiar? :greengrin

Emerald
20-09-2013, 08:45 PM

It was Roddy MacKenzie in goals. I was on a 3 month course with him a good few years back along with Des Bremner. Roddy didn't want to speak about that game. He was a quality bloke though and said he learned more at Hibs in his short time there than he did at Ardrie in 10 years.

greenpaper55
20-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Airdrie always seemed to play well against us maybe because their captain was an ex Hibby was he Derek Whiteford ? , sorry memory not what it was but i'm sure he used to play for us and was released.

eastterrace
20-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Airdrie always seemed to play well against us maybe because their captain was an ex Hibby was he Derek Whiteford ? , sorry memory not what it was but i'm sure he used to play for us and was released.
not sure if he played for us but mind being thru at airdrie and they knocked us out the cup 1-0 and he scored the goal , thats when we had stanton and orourke playing for us.sure jim back played centre half for them that day ,and probably caught eddie turnbulls eye.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-09-2013, 09:21 PM
He was a balloon in that 4-1 game and I blamed him for 3 of the goals IIRC, there is no way they would have won by that score had we had a decent goalie in the team.

IberianHibernian
20-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Was he not Northern Ireland goalie at the time ? Not sure when Pat Jennings took over . First goal in Derby was a Schaedler own goal I think . Don`t think we lost another league Derby for about 8 years after it though we were in different divisions in 3 seasons .

Ray_
20-09-2013, 09:33 PM
not sure if he played for us but mind being thru at airdrie and they knocked us out the cup 1-0 and he scored the goal , thats when we had stanton and orourke playing for us.sure jim back played centre half for them that day ,and probably caught eddie turnbulls eye.

Bob Shankly bought Jim Black in 1969 for 30k, the rumours [even in them days] was that we had offered 60k both him & Derek Whiteford, but Airdrie would only sell one of them. The money came from the Colin Stein deal the previous October.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Bob Shankly bought Jim Black in 1969 for 30k, the rumours [even in them days] was that we had offered 60k both him & Derek Whiteford, but Airdrie would only sell one of them. The money came from the Colin Stein deal the previous October.

The surprising thing about that supposed double deal was that Whiteford had been a Hibs player but struggled to break into the first team and so left to join Airdrie!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6175

Ray_
20-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Was he not Northern Ireland goalie at the time ? Not sure when Pat Jennings took over . First goal in Derby was a Schaedler own goal I think . Don`t think we lost another league Derby for about 8 years after it though we were in different divisions in 3 seasons .

It was always Jennings that played in the home internationals for NI, they were always played at Hampden due to the troubles over there. Pat Jennings was first capped way back in 1964 & his last cap was in the 86 world cup. I remember the game in 1973 and although we dominated the game, we were two nil down at half-time and one of the goal scorers was Trevor Anderson of Manchester United, Dalglish pulled one back in the second half and again it was one way traffic [Besty was missing again].

I moved to Manchester around six weeks later and two days later I was introduced to my new [northern Irish] foreman, who started ripping me off about the Scotland game. I had told him I was at the game & he asked me about the goal scorer and I truthfully replied that he was crap and that was the only thing he done all game, before getting subbed, it turns out that he was his brother. He didn't hold it against me thankfully, we became good mates and I was often invited to Old Trafford and would go in via the players entrance, being slim and fit back then, I was often asked for my autograph, now they would think I was the team bus :greengrin

Ray_
20-09-2013, 09:59 PM
The surprising thing about that supposed double deal was that Whiteford had been a Hibs player but struggled to break into the first team and so left to join Airdrie!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6175

I was quite pleased the deal didn't go through, it left money for Willie Mac to sign Erich Scheadler & Johnny Graham, who coincidentally scored two goals, on the day he signed, in a 3-1 win against Airdrie.

kaimendhibs
20-09-2013, 10:02 PM
roddy mackenzie played in the 4-1 defeat from hearts back at tynie after the 7-0 game and he was mince

Hate to say it, that was my first ever derby!!

Sent from my iphone