PDA

View Full Version : Stranraer and others

Miguel
19-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Am I right in thinking that when we played Stranraer in the early to mid 1990s, they were the only team then in the senior leagues that we hadn't previously faced in a competitive match? Think it was the League Cup, but can't remember the score.
Are there any other teams in the current set up, or from times gone by, we have never played competitively? Peterhead, Elgin and Annan spring to mind.

Sir David Gray
19-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Rangers.

Broken Gnome
20-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Peterhead were game one in the 2007 League Cup run.

Off the bar
20-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Rangers.

THE rangers

thebigman1875
20-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Am I right in thinking that when we played Stranraer in the early to mid 1990s, they were the only team then in the senior leagues that we hadn't previously faced in a competitive match? Think it was the League Cup, but can't remember the score.
Are there any other teams in the current set up, or from times gone by, we have never played competitively? Peterhead, Elgin and Annan spring to mind.

Sure we drew 0-0 through there & won the replay 4-0 ( Luna-Zittelli-Smith-Hurtado ), Big Franck was the boss I think, 2002.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Sure we drew 0-0 through there & won the replay 4-0 ( Luna-Zittelli-Smith-Hurtado ), Big Franck was the boss I think, 2002.

Different game to what the OP is referring to I think

tamig
20-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Different game to what the OP is referring to I think
First division season 98/99. A few great away days.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2013, 06:59 AM
First division season 98/99. A few great away days.

Was there. We won 4-0. McLeish played a very young team that day

tamig
20-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Was there. We won 4-0. McLeish played a very young team that day

That was near the end of the season. First game down there was 1-0 with a late Lovell goal. I remember big Olly having some great saves that day.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2013, 07:08 AM
That was near the end of the season. First game down there was 1-0 with a late Lovell goal. I remember big Olly having some great saves that day.

Forgot about that game. Remember they beat us at ER early that season as well

saltandsauce
20-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Iirc that was the night that Stephen Hendry won his seventh world title and the day before Hugh Dallas got hit by the coin at parkhead

johnrebus
20-09-2013, 08:24 AM
League Cup tie midweek at ER, under Alex Miller.

Hibs won 4-0.

Steve Archibald came off the bench for his debut and scored twice.

:cb

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Not sure if this is the game the OP mentioned but I went to our first home game of season 98/99 against Stranraer (1st Division) and it was the first time ever we'd played them in a league game (not sure if absolutely first time ever, though).

IIRC, we lost 1-0, giving them a 100% winning record against us. I really worried for the season ahead after that match.

hhibs
20-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Annan Athletic

LancashireHibby
20-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Always hope we draw Annan away in the cups but no luck so far.

patlowe
20-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Not sure if this is the game the OP mentioned but I went to our first home game of season 98/99 against Stranraer (1st Division) and it was the first time ever we'd played them in a league game (not sure if absolutely first time ever, though).

IIRC, we lost 1-0, giving them a 100% winning record against us. I really worried for the season ahead after that match.

I think it was 2-1. The winner was an absolute peach IIRC.

LancsHibs
20-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Always hope we draw Annan away in the cups but no luck so far.

So do I, only half the distance to travel:wink:

AndyM_1875
20-09-2013, 12:43 PM

It was indeed a 2-1 loss at Easter Road in early August 1998. Hibs late consolation goal was scored IIRC by Justin Skinner.
Remember it being a gloriously sunny day and lots of Hibs fans turning up in the club's new Yellow away shirt.

Our second game of the First Division Campaign and the second and winning Stranraer goal was scored by Jason Young a nephew of Alex Young ex Hearts player.

Why I remember this pish I don't know.....

LancashireHibby
20-09-2013, 12:59 PM
So do I, only half the distance to travel:wink:
I was at the Haydock junction on the M6 before midnight after the QoS game last year. Shame about the game, mind.

yeezus.
20-09-2013, 01:53 PM

That game started my love for Hibs! A goalless draw in the league cup.

Billy Whizz
20-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Was it not the Scottish Cup? I remember leaving Stranraer a number of years ago after a cup draw, and listening to the Scottish cup draw on the radio. Think we were drawn away to Rangers (The one that went bust)
Is this the same season?

Miguel
20-09-2013, 02:51 PM
League Cup tie midweek at ER, under Alex Miller.

Hibs won 4-0.

Steve Archibald came off the bench for his debut and scored twice.

:cb
That's the one I was thinking of.

Sunny1875
20-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Iirc that was the night that Stephen Hendry won his seventh world title and the day before Hugh Dallas got hit by the coin at parkhead

That must have been some coin toss at the snooker

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Cheers, my memory's not what it used to be

:thumbsup:

eastterrace
20-09-2013, 07:25 PM

was the score not 2-1 , and alec young son scored the winner i think,also that was the game mcleish decided we hadnt a good enough squad to go backup so we got mixu, suazee and latapy and the rest was history.

jgl07
20-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Was it not the Scottish Cup? I remember leaving Stranraer a number of years ago after a cup draw, and listening to the Scottish cup draw on the radio.
It must have been the Scottish Cup as there are no draws in the League Cup with extra time and penalties.

cabbageandribs1875
21-09-2013, 12:14 AM
scottish league cup wed 17th 1988 hibs 4 stranraer 0

season 98/99

scottish div one sat 15th aug 98 hibs 1 stranraer 2

scottish div 1 sat 10th oct 98 stranraer 0 hibs 1

scottish div 1 sat 6th feb 99 hibs 2 stranraer 0

scottish div 1 sat 1st may 99 stranraer 0 hibs 4

scottish cup 2002

sat 5th jan stranraer 0 hibs 0

tues 15th jan hibs 4 stranraer 0

Auckland Hibs
21-09-2013, 12:39 AM

One of the best goals I've seen at ER - absolute screamer.

IIRC we applauded Stranraer off the park at full time.

yeezus.
21-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Was it not the Scottish Cup? I remember leaving Stranraer a number of years ago after a cup draw, and listening to the Scottish cup draw on the radio. Think we were drawn away to Rangers (The one that went bust)
Is this the same season?

Just checked the programme League cup apparently.

Paperboy
21-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I remember the game where we got beat in the first home game of the season against Stranraer. I went into Ladbrokes at the foot of Leith Walk and they had an offer of 20/1 that Hibs wouldn't lose a home game in the old first division for the whole season. I went to a nearby boozer and after a few pints I convinced myself and a few others it was a great bet and we lumped on.

Lets just say I didn't go back to the pub after the game..!

johnrebus
21-09-2013, 07:56 PM
It was indeed a 2-1 loss at Easter Road in early August 1998. Hibs late consolation goal was scored IIRC by Justin Skinner.
Remember it being a gloriously sunny day and lots of Hibs fans turning up in the club's new Yellow away shirt.

Our second game of the First Division Campaign and the second and winning Stranraer goal was scored by Jason Young a nephew of Alex Young ex Hearts player.

Jason is the son of Alex Young, ended his career at Penicuik.

Alex is considered a legend at Everton (The Golden Vision), but rarely thought of by the Yams.

Absolute gentleman

truehibernian
21-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Jason is the son of Alex Young, ended his career at Penicuik.

Alex is considered a legend at Everton (The Golden Vision), but rarely thought of by the Yams.

Absolute gentleman

One of my first coaches as a kid - great man, lovely family, sadly nepotism saw Jason get chances in the game I don't think he deserved. There were far far better strikers in Edinburgh and Fife yet he was cherry picked, his talent was found out and he very quickly disappeared from the scene. It's what makes my blood boil - that good young talent is still being overlooked due to reputations of others and 'family ties'.

You are right about Alex Snr - is his carpet business still on the go ?

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Jan 5th 2002. GO'C's Hibs debut IIRC. I remember going into a wee independent bookies in Stranraer and getting a price of about 14/1 as they had never heard of him. Missed a great chance late on in the 2nd half.

I remember winning a right few quid backing Arsenal HT-FT and Arsenal -1 in the lunchtime FA Cup game. Ended up staying overnight in Stranraer which was fun too!

My_Wife_Camille
24-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Jan 5th 2002. GO'C's Hibs debut IIRC. I remember going into a wee independent bookies in Stranraer and getting a price of about 14/1 as they had never heard of him. Missed a great chance late on in the 2nd half.

I remember winning a right few quid backing Arsenal HT-FT and Arsenal -1 in the lunchtime FA Cup game. Ended up staying overnight in Stranraer which was fun too!defo no his debut mate, Garry had played about 10 games by that point!

Sir David Gray
24-11-2014, 11:05 AM

I remember winning a right few quid backing Arsenal HT-FT and Arsenal -1 in the lunchtime FA Cup game. Ended up staying overnight in Stranraer which was fun too!

His debut came in April 2001, away to Dundee.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2014, 11:42 AM
defo no his debut mate, Garry had played about 10 games by that point!

The bookie must've been mair bevvied than me to give me such a big price for a centre forward! Doubt he had played that many games, could be wrong though.

portycabbage
24-11-2014, 12:35 PM

The one-nil game was the latest I've ever got to a game, second half had already begun. We got lost on the way, added to which I got myself covered from arse to ankle in rancid yoghurt leaping over roadside bracken for a "comfort break". Was getting the dry boke at the smell for hours until I got home.

In other news, I think the later 4-0 game was when Kenny Miller scored his first goal for us.

HibbyAndy
24-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Its his auld man.

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-11-2014, 03:25 PM

I'm sure the following day was the day it all got a bit naughty at the Cardiff v Leeds game and Man U came back to win @ Villa Park. Backed Defoe to score first that day for The Hammers too!