PDA

View Full Version : The Venga Bus

Gatecrasher
19-09-2013, 09:22 AM
theres an article on the Scotsman Web site about some of the players commuting to East Mains and they all jump in a people carrier called the Venga Bus :greengrin

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/hibs-players-buy-minibus-for-m8-commute-1-3100593

Theres a bit of banter on twitter from the players about it as well :aok:

jacomo
19-09-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm a bit surprised so many of our players live over in the West. Ok Heffernan fair enough because he has only just joined us, but McPake, Craig and Caldwell too? Would you not move to Edinburgh if you were in their position? Has Craig been commuting from Glasgow to Perth all that time?

The_Exile
19-09-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm a bit surprised so many of our players live over in the West. Ok Heffernan fair enough because he has only just joined us, but McPake, Craig and Caldwell too? Would you not move to Edinburgh if you were in their position? Has Craig been commuting from Glasgow to Perth all that time?

It's only an hour away, it's not that far, when I worked in London I was 2 and a half hours away from my work.

Jack
19-09-2013, 10:03 AM
If thats not played when the players come out then I despair.

Catchy wee tune too. I remember it from my youth

second,

third

or forth time around. :-)

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:09 AM

I think it's a good idea for players to live away from Edinburgh even just for the fact that they won't get recognised/hassled as much.

It only takes about an hour to get to East Mains, especially as the players will be able to avoid the busiest part of the rush hour. It's about the same from Perth. No distance at all.

It can take longer than that travelling from one side of Edinburgh to the other for us mortal folk.

Hefferman, as you say, was playing for Killie so it makes sense he lived in the Wwedge. Most of the others qualify as weedgies (born West of Maybury :greengrin)

Caldwell - Bellshill

McPake - Bellshill

Liam Craig - Chirnside (Borders)

Paul Cairney - Glasgow

Murdoch is Edinburgh born so I'm not sure why he lives in Glasgow. Maybe he moved in with his boyfirend through there. (This will soon become a dotnet FACT!)

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I agree Jack. "Up and down" is quite apt for Hibs too but if that gets played I think it will drive more folks away than rank performances :)

Now is it pronounced "benga" or "wenga"?

As I recall the "tidier" girl is from Brazil - Salvador in fact after a check [wiki is not long for wrong].

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I once romanced a girl in a nightclub called La Belle Angele who was the absolute double of the tidy thing from the Vengaboys. 13 years on I'm still not quite sure how I managed it. Romp!

Peevemor
19-09-2013, 10:26 AM
I once romanced a girl in a nightclub called La Belle Angele who was the absolute double of the tidy thing from the Vengaboys. 13 years on I'm still not quite sure how I managed it. Romp!

That's a nice way of putting it!

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Was that her real name or just your special, "I might get a lumber if I pretend to be French", one.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Coming through from the West should it not be the Senga-bus?

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:33 AM

:thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Was that her real name or just your special, "I might get a lumber if I pretend to be French", one.

:faf:

The club was called La Belle Angele, I have absolutely no recollection of what her name was. Given her Mediterranean looks it was probably something exotic like Michael I imagine.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:51 AM

The club was called La Belle Angele,

:wink:

http://images.wikia.com/brutallegend/images/8/8c/You_Don't_Say.jpg

Jack
19-09-2013, 10:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMwNot sure about the tunics but that dance would look good in the East :greengrin

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMwNot sure about the tunics but that dance would look good in the East :greengrin

Boom, boom, boom, boom! :wink:

MB62
19-09-2013, 10:53 AM
I think it's a good idea for players to live away from Edinburgh even just for the fact that they won't get recognised/hassled as much.

It only takes about an hour to get to East Mains, especially as the players will be able to avoid the busiest part of the rush hour. It's about the same from Perth. No distance at all.

It can take longer than that travelling from one side of Edinburgh to the other for us mortal folk.

Hefferman, as you say, was playing for Killie so it makes sense he lived in the Wwedge. Most of the others qualify as weedgies (born West of Maybury :greengrin)

Caldwell - Bellshill

McPake - Bellshill

Paul Cairney - Glasgow

Murdoch is Edinburgh born so I'm not sure why he lives in Glasgow. Maybe he moved in with his boyfirend through there. (This will soon become a dotnet FACT!)

I'm sure I recently saw him wear rainbow laces - FACT :greengrin

Mikey
19-09-2013, 10:57 AM
When STF builds houses at East Mains (pocketing millions in the process) he'll force the players to stay there :agree:

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm sure I recently saw him wear rainbow laces - FACT :greengrin

Good link!

:aok:

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 10:58 AM
When Retro builds houses at East Mains (pocketing millions in the process) they'll force the players to stay there :agree:

Fixed that for you. :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Fixed that for you. :wink:

Stripping away the unworkable legacy left by the previous incumbents no doubt......

lucky
19-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Commuting from North Lanarkshire, Glasgow and Perth is nothing. It can take longer in London on the underground to get across the city. Travelling for aa hour to get to work is the norm down south.

ano hibby
19-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Dont see the issue with the travelling. The squad only train for 90 mins tops They'd be back home in The 'Gow for Greggs lunch, a loosener, hit the bookies then a few swallies in the snooker hall. Home in time to walk the dug & put bairns to bed and snooze off the hangover pre training the next day.
No worries.:aok:

JimBHibees
19-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Caldwell - Bellshill

McPake - Bellshill

Paul Cairney - Glasgow

:confused:

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 12:21 PM
:confused:

Wassup?

JimBHibees
19-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Wassup?

Probably me, just the inference that Chirnside was West of Maybury. :greengrin

--------
19-09-2013, 12:36 PM

Caldwell - Bellshill

McPake - Bellshill

Paul Cairney - Glasgow

Whoever (apart from yourself) suggests that the Maybury marks the eastern boundary of Weegiedom?

Or were you referring to ALAN Maybury? 'Cos he was born in Ireland.

Is anyone else concerned at the thought of a sizeable contingent of our first-team squad travelling through from Glasgow every day in a van that Paul Heffernan doesn't reckon will 'last through the winter'?

Has Petrie taken out life insurance on them? I smell a 'Double Indemnity' situation brewing here.

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Probably me, just the inference that Chirnside was West of Maybury. :greengrin

Aye, it's you, ya radge. :greengrin

I thought I'd covered it by saying "most of the others", and putting the word "borders" in brackets after Chirnside.

I rented a cottage in Chirnside for Hogmanay the year before last.

We had a great time, but the local boozer was like the wild west!

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Whoever (apart from yourself) suggests that the Maybury marks the eastern boundary of Weegiedom?

Is anyone else concerned at the thought of a sizeable contingent of our first-team squad travelling through from Glasgow every day in a van that Paul Heffernan doesn't reckon will 'last through the winter'?

Or has Petrie got life insurance out on them?

It was a joke, hence the grin immediately after the comment.

We used to say this on the Hawkhill bus to away games.

The West of Scotland starts after the Maybury because the accents all change.

But it's a joke.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2013, 01:32 PM
The fateful words of a mate before I made a move on my future wife
"there's nothing wrong with a drunken fumble..."

stu in nottingham
19-09-2013, 01:59 PM
...that dance would look good in the East :greengrin

Frank's with you, Jack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c1D2OnGWZE

green.and.white
19-09-2013, 03:06 PM

second,

third

We are the Hibees.
We are, we are the Hibees.

This song might be what we need to change our fortunes at home, it would strike fear into the opposition pre-match :agree:

Wilson
19-09-2013, 03:43 PM
The fateful words of a mate before I made a move on my future wife
"there's nothing wrong with a drunken fumble..."

Ex-mate?

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Ex-mate?

Heheh thinks turned out no bad so far...

Jack
19-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Frank's with you, Jack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c1D2OnGWZE

Bad enough but before I saw the video my first thought was our Frank, Frank Doogan!!!!!!!!

Now I have the two mixed you swine!!!!!!!!

I hope that image is now ingrained in your brain too lol.

dp00
19-09-2013, 11:01 PM

second,

third

Gotta get played while there warming up

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

VivaHiberņa
19-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Ross County did exactly the same thing (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ross+county+venga+bus&oq=ross+county+venga+bus&aqs=chrome..69i57.6853j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) in their 1st Division winning season for the players based in Inverness, even calling it "the Vengabus," which subsequently became the goal music at Victoria Park.

We can't be copying teams like County. We're clearly getting relegated, even our banter's 1st Division quality...

Jack
20-09-2013, 12:07 AM
ross county did exactly the same thing (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ross+county+venga+bus&oq=ross+county+venga+bus&aqs=chrome..69i57.6853j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=utf-8) in their 1st division winning season for the players based in inverness, even calling it "the vengabus," which subsequently became the goal music at victoria park.

We can't be copying teams like county. We're clearly getting relegated, even our banter's 1st division quality...

ltrcf

Viva_Palmeiras
20-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Ross County did exactly the same thing (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ross+county+venga+bus&oq=ross+county+venga+bus&aqs=chrome..69i57.6853j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) in their 1st Division winning season for the players based in Inverness, even calling it "the Vengabus," which subsequently became the goal music at Victoria Park.

We can't be copying teams like County. We're clearly getting relegated, even our banter's 1st Division quality...

I think you'll find the Vengabus was a concept & song dreampt up by a popular beat combo from the 90s called the Vengaboys. If Ross county lay claim to that then they're more versatile than we think.

Hibby Gav
20-09-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm just happy that there is a good team spirit developing...between the Vengabus and the honeymonsters antics they players seem to be relaxing and forming good tight friendships....it'll set them up for scary easter road ! ;-) if they are a tight group they will be a tight team....fingers crossed ! :thumbsup:

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 09:21 AM
"Chirnside is a hillside village in Berwickshire in Scotland, 9 miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed and 7 miles east of Duns"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirnside

So, further east than anywhere in Edinburgh, never mind the Maybury.

Also, the word is Weegies, not Weedgies. Maybe you're getting mixed up with Wedgies and having frightening flashbacks to your schooldays :dunno:

Glad to be of service :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
20-09-2013, 09:44 AM
"Chirnside is a hillside village in Berwickshire in Scotland, 9 miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed and 7 miles east of Duns"

Also, the word is Weegies, not Weedgies. Maybe you're getting mixed up with Wedgies and having frightening flashbacks to your schooldays :dunno:

Do you have to ruin EVERYTHING?!?!

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Do you have to ruin EVERYTHING?!?!

Well, be fair, you're very NAME is pedantic.

Pedantic_Hibee
20-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Well, be fair, you're very NAME is pedantic.

Probably the worst username ever. I have no idea what I was thinking of. I should have stuck with HoboCop.

VivaHiberņa
20-09-2013, 06:46 PM
ltrcf

:tee hee: Not quite. Made me giggle though.

I think you'll find the Vengabus was a concept & song dreampt up by a popular beat combo from the 90s called the Vengaboys. If Ross county lay claim to that then they're more versatile than we think.

I know that. I meant the joke of calling a players' commuting car/van "the Vengabus" has been done. Sadly not another Hibs first.

Nonetheless good see the team having a laugh together, onwards and upwards... :flag:

FranckSuzy
20-09-2013, 08:16 PM

From Twitter, "Sean Murdoch‏@seanmurdoch0133m (http://www.hibs.net/seanmurdoch01/status/381140641419644928)Get sponsoring the Vengabus! Have your name or business printed on the vehicle at a negotiable price. All proceeds go to charity. Pls RT"

Hibbyradge
20-09-2013, 11:35 PM

I thought I'd covered it by saying "most of the others", and putting the word "borders" in brackets after Chirnside.

Can you no read? I know fine where Chirnside is. I didn't say it was in the Weege.

You're right about the extra d though.

brian6-2
21-09-2013, 06:33 AM

Caldwell - Bellshill

McPake - Bellshill

Paul Cairney - Glasgow

agree with this. I remember doing my shopping in a 24 hour asda one night and bumping into david zitelli, we shot each other a wee glance and said hello and i left him to it as it was about 2am and i didnt want to hassle the guy, about 25 mins later (in the juice isle i think) his cover was blown, an over enthusiastic hibby had caught him, after making him sign a few autographs came the million dollar question "so what are you doing in here at this time david" you could just see the look on zitelli's puss and the fact he just wanted to say to avoid people like you.

MADE IN LEITH
21-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeh remember the Venga boys well :wink:

macca70
21-09-2013, 11:14 AM

From Twitter, "Sean Murdoch‏@seanmurdoch0133m (http://www.hibs.net/seanmurdoch01/status/381140641419644928)Get sponsoring the Vengabus! Have your name or business printed on the vehicle at a negotiable price. All proceeds go to charity. Pls RT"

How about a fiver or a tenner a Heid and you get to sign or put a mention on the outside of the Venga Bus.

Charity starts at home so proceeds could go towards the managers fund.

--------
21-09-2013, 11:40 AM
It was a joke, hence the grin immediately after the comment.

We used to say this on the Hawkhill bus to away games.

The West of Scotland starts after the Maybury because the accents all change.

But it's a joke.

I knew that.

Honest I did. :doh:

FranckSuzy
21-09-2013, 06:44 PM
They played the song when Heff scored!

:top marks to the announcer :greengrin

hfc rd
21-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Looks like it's going to be a party on the vengabus back home for those guys. Good, they deserve it.

Billy Whizz
21-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Looks like it's going to be a party on the vengabus back home for those guys. Good, they deserve it.

I don't think too many of the Vengabus boys actually played today

hfc rd
21-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Nelson, Craig, Heff. I think the others are Murdoch, McPake and Cairney. Unless there are more I missed.

Caldwell and I think Handling but not too sure on that one.

hibee_girl
21-09-2013, 08:08 PM
It's got it's own twitter account now :greengrin

hfc rd
21-09-2013, 09:37 PM
It's got it's own twitter account now :greengrin

Is there a picture of it anywhere?

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Uh-oh...this could mean trouble :greengrin

Fantastic - nobody owns the Vengabus the Vengabus owns everybody - so no player can get slap-handies for errant tweets... :)

Leigh shudda set up @LeighGriffithsGuardianAngel or @LGs_Shrink :greengrin

brydekirk
22-09-2013, 08:30 AM
The Venga runs on Irn Bru

hibee_nation
22-09-2013, 09:00 AM
I see they keep the jump leads handy :greengrin

dp00
22-09-2013, 08:24 PM
There defo appears to be players enjoying thereself more

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Andy74
22-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah, looks and sounds like a happy squad. Most of them involved in the banter aren't playing either so good to see.

TheFamous1875
22-09-2013, 10:34 PM
The Venga's won the Scottish Cup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Northernhibee
23-09-2013, 06:58 AM
The Vengabus told Pat that signing a defensive midfielder would be a good idea.

Northernhibee
23-09-2013, 11:52 AM
We 100% need a lap of the stadium at the next home game.

Speedway
23-09-2013, 02:08 PM
This is nonsense. Instead of three pages about a Vengabus, why don't we save the boys the travel, revert back to our original strip and move across to Glasgow to play there?

Problem solved plus nearer to Ireland, so the whole playing staff is happy.

SMAXXA
23-09-2013, 03:51 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU2VffLCEAAiQSg.jpg:large

The big chef loves the Venga. #HeCooksWhenHeWants (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HeCooksWhenHeWants&src=hash) pic.twitter.com/dWuyXv2qXv (http://t.co/dWuyXv2qXv)