PDA

View Full Version : Maybury reckons it's now starting to come together

hibs0666
18-09-2013, 06:56 PM
HIBS star Alan Maybury insists the club have been proved right in sticking by boss Pat Fenlon.

The Easter Road side surged into the Scottish Premiership’s top six last weekend with a terrific 2-1 away victory at St Johnstone.

It was their second consecutive win on the road and Fenlon’s side finally looked the part after a tough start to the campaign.

The Irish boss was under severe pressure after a humiliating 9-0 Europa League trouncing by Malmo and defeats to Motherwell and rivals Hearts in the league.

But Maybury insists no one inside Easter Road doubted that Fenlon would turn things around – and now expects them to have a successful season. He told Edinburgh Now: “There were a lot of people outside the club talking about the manager’s position.

“Obviously, the European defeat put a bit of pressure on him.

“But it wasn’t what I was saying or anyone within Hibs. The gaffer has just gone about his work and we knew it would take a bit of time to get the balance in the side right.

“We were a bit disjointed at the start but we were confident that when everyone was fit we would have as good a squad as I’ve seen at Hibs in a long time.

“We’re looking forward now. I was always convinced things would turn for us and we’d get it right.

“It was always going to take time for us after all the changes made in the summer. It was basically a new team again. We had to try and get that bedded in and the first few league games could have gone either way, against Motherwell and in the derby against Hearts.

“We lost sloppy goals but we weren’t doing anything major wrong. We’ve slowly built on that and picked up a couple of excellent away wins.”

Maybury refuses to get over-excited about Hibs’ upturn in form. But he’s adamant Fenlon’s new-look squad is an improvement on last term’s and says there is now fierce competition to get into the gaffer’s first team.

He said: “We’re not getting carried away and it’s a long season. But after a difficult start, we’re now in the top six after couple of wins. We have to keep working hard and see where it takes us.

“We have a lot of quality here and when all the players are fully fit, some big players are going to
miss out.

“That has to be good for any club. Last season, if someone was coming back from injury and played half an hour in a bounce game, we knew he would probably be back in the first team on the Saturday. That’s the difference this season.

“We have more strength in depth now. We can look after players who are coming back from injury and make sure they’re 100 per cent right. We have terrific competition for places now.

“Everyone has to be on their toes this season – the players know they’ll have to be at their best to get in the team.”

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks for sharing the link - its nice to hear the calm, reflective thoughts of a veteran who seems well respected from players through to a decent slice of the support.

IMO still remains to be seen whether Pat can be a tactical game-changer, whilst I do get the feeling someone else will reap the benefits of his graft to get the mindset and culture sorted I hope he kicks on and support him whilst he's here.

Unseen work
18-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Good read and happy to hear the players are confident in each other and know themselves that you have to fight every week for your position as you know there is a man waiting to step in now. Sometimes I think people just see new signings that are good and expect them to click straight away, it's hard for the players and managers to understand the right balance, system and players to form a understanding with each other.

brydekirk
18-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Good read and happy to hear the players are confident in each other and know themselves that you have to fight every week for your position as you know there is a man waiting to step in now. Sometimes I think people just see new signings that are good and expect them to click straight away, it's hard for the players and managers to understand the right balance, system and players to form a understanding with each other.
This

greenlex
18-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Aye butSt Johnstone gelled straight away!!!!

monktonharp
18-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the link - its nice to hear the calm, reflective thoughts of a veteran who seems well respected from players through to a decent slice of the support.

IMO still remains to be seen whether Pat can be a tactical game-changer, whilst I do get the feeling someone else will reap the benefits of his graft to get the mindset and culture sorted I hope he kicks on and support him whilst he's here.it was a good read, don't think that it is quite enough to convince a huge amount of fans though. most on here have known that we have the basis of a good team, if you look at the players he's assembled recently,we all know about "gell" etc (or even KY gell:wink: ) but it's the manager's tactics that have angered most. I've thought he only had 3 games to get it turned round, ......2 more to go but looks like it can happen and I'm delighted that Collins got off the mark. Heff, is always going to score over a few games but the young lad could have been really down if he had not scored for a long period. Maybury seems to be a model pro footballer, past his best though and scares me a bit when it RB. did he play in that position on Saturday? i'm just back from a holiday.

Crossgates Hibs
19-09-2013, 12:34 AM
it was a good read, don't think that it is quite enough to convince a huge amount of fans though. most on here have known that we have the basis of a good team, if you look at the players he's assembled recently,we all know about "gell" etc (or even KY gell:wink: ) but it's the manager's tactics that have angered most. I've thought he only had 3 games to get it turned round, ......2 more to go but looks like it can happen and I'm delighted that Collins got off the mark. Heff, is always going to score over a few games but the young lad could have been really down if he had not scored for a long period. Maybury seems to be a model pro footballer, past his best though and scares me a bit when it RB. did he play in that position on Saturday? i'm just back from a holiday.

Still nowhere near convinced still its good we are strong all over the park except right back though Maybury was solid hate seeing Stevenson in there though he hasn't let us down. My biggest issue is we are dire to watch set up to keep it tight and nick a win.we should maybe go that way away but at home we should be going for it, should never play one up front at home we should be running at the other team drawing fouls and causing panic instead of probing for an opening that we are to slow to take advantage of. Will see when everyone is fit on paper we are a top 3 side.

lEXO
19-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Good read and happy to hear the players are confident in each other and know themselves that you have to fight every week for your position as you know there is a man waiting to step in now. Sometimes I think people just see new signings that are good and expect them to click straight away, it's hard for the players and managers to understand the right balance, system and players to form a understanding with each other.Good post

For all the good it done them on Saturday. We totally outplayed them most of the game.

Golden Bear
19-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Inverness Caley also seem to "gel" straight away and have done for the last 3 seasons with a variety of previously unknown players.

:coffee:

500miles
19-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Inverness Caley also seem to "gel" straight away and have done for the last 3 seasons with a variety of previously unknown players.

Inverness don't sign many players to throw straight into the first team though. Guys like Draper, Shinnie, Doran, McKay, Ross etc. have had a full year at least to bed in before becoming first choices in a team that picks itself most weeks.

MB62
19-09-2013, 08:42 AM
It's good to be so positive about things, and Maybury does seem to be enjoying his new coaching role, however, it is a just a wee tad early to suggest P.F. has turned things around because of one result against St. Johnstone. If the man had been sitting beside us over the past few years, he would have seen for himself why I/we are maybe reluctant to share his belief just yet, although there are small signs of recovery I have to say.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I am actually looking forward to going to the game on Saturday, rather than just going along because that's what I do. This game probably becomes even more important now than it would have been, because there is a level of expectation rather than hope about it and it should be another game along the line to putting a decent run together.
If come the end of March we are up there in 2nd, 3rd or 4th spot, then I will share Maybury's belief that P.F. has turned things around, at the moment though, I'm still wearing the 'seen it all before' T-Shirt and I've been wearing it that long now I could shoot peas through it, it's that thin.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 08:44 AM
My sentiments exactly, MB62.

rcarter1
19-09-2013, 08:49 AM

A bit unfair, they took a while to progress, but with a settled system/manager/players, have done the job for a good wee while now fair enough.

Heffernan and Zoubir (hopefully) should give us that bit extra, and as they joined after the early season fiascos dont fall into the 'didnt gel' category. Im seeing enough to hold my hand up and say Pat could be on the verge of taking us forward properly. Its taken longer than hoped, but he has established a more professional attitude, grit (and goals) in midfield, and perhaps at the very last, some punch going forward. His negative tactics may have been a combination of his natural style of football from Ireland, and reactions to the Malmo game/Cup Final. He isnt blind to what Hibs fans want in terms of an attacking side. If we start playing more positively and successfully, then Im going to forgive, forget and put my faith in him again.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 09:16 AM
The general consensus, from what I gather, is that we are collectively not overly happy at the moment. However, not one single Hibs fan doesn't want Fenlon to succeed and given that the board have backed him verbally and financially, we have nothing to gain by being anything other than supportive of him and the players.

Fingers crossed we have turned the corner this time rather rather being deceived by another roundabout.

Part/Time Supporter
19-09-2013, 09:24 AM

They did relatively well last year and have got off to a great start this year, but Caley were almost as rotten as Hibs were two years ago. Last year was the first time they made the top six, at the 8th attempt.

Sergio sledge
19-09-2013, 09:30 AM
They did relatively well last year and have got off to a great start this year, but Caley were almost as rotten as Hibs were two years ago. Last year was the first time they made the top six, at the 8th attempt.

They've also got a settled team, so no real need to gel. I think of their first choice 11, only 2 weren't at the club last year.

Hibbyradge
19-09-2013, 09:48 AM

We started the season with considerable defensive injury problems, McGivern, Clancy and McPake, we didn't have a striker and our most attack minded midfielder was crocked in the first league game.

No wonder the team didn't gel.

It's perfectly understandable that the manager concentrated on not losing goals under those circumstances, especially after the hiding Malmo gave our makeshift team.

As players return, and now that we have proven front players, I expect us to be much more positive.

And "gelled".

Hibercelona
19-09-2013, 10:00 AM
We have to beat St Mirren this weekend, or the last game won't count for much. It's still going to take more than the odd win to convince me that we've got our act together. We need consistency if we're to finish in a respectable position.

The Modfather
19-09-2013, 10:10 AM
We started the season with considerable defensive injury problems, McGivern, Clancy and McPake, we didn't have a striker and our most attack minded midfielder was crocked in the first league game.

No wonder the team didn't gel.

It's perfectly understandable that the manager concentrated on not losing goals under those circumstances, especially after the hiding Malmo gave our makeshift team.

As players return, and now that we have proven front players, I expect us to be much more positive.

And "gelled".

I would say that was more of a coincidence, not the reason we have been set up not to lose rather than set up to win games. IMO this is reflected in the very negative way we have been set up since he arrived, and his fetish for signing DM's.

I still have my doubts, but hopefully we can now kick on, and if not get to where we want to be in the league, at the very least play in a style that is worth paying to watch on a consistant basis.

MB62
19-09-2013, 10:11 AM
The general consensus, from what I gather, is that we are collectively not overly happy at the moment. However, not one single Hibs fan doesn't want Fenlon to succeed and given that the board have backed him verbally and financially, we have nothing to gain by being anything other than supportive of him and the players.
Fingers crossed we have turned the corner this time rather rather being deceived by another roundabout.

EXACTLY.
It has been hard watching Hibs in recent years, well before P.F. arrived, and the frustration sometimes shows through. However, we go to ER to watch Hibs hopefully playing some great attractive football and winning games, regardless of who is the manager or what set of players are wearing the green jerseys. Our ultimate aim is to have the bragging rights over our rivals, not the slagging rights over our manager and players.
We are SUPPORTERS, we WANT TO SUPPORT, we just need half an excuse to do that.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-09-2013, 10:18 AM
it was a good read, don't think that it is quite enough to convince a huge amount of fans though. most on here have known that we have the basis of a good team, if you look at the players he's assembled recently,we all know about "gell" etc (or even KY gell:wink: ) but it's the manager's tactics that have angered most. I've thought he only had 3 games to get it turned round, ......2 more to go but looks like it can happen and I'm delighted that Collins got off the mark. Heff, is always going to score over a few games but the young lad could have been really down if he had not scored for a long period. Maybury seems to be a model pro footballer, past his best though and scares me a bit when it RB. did he play in that position on Saturday? i'm just back from a holiday.

I was at a wedding in Aberdeen so missed Perth but I understand Alan did play RB and did OK.

JimBHibees
19-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Inverness don't sign many players to throw straight into the first team though. Guys like Draper, Shinnie, Doran, McKay, Ross etc. have had a full year at least to bed in before becoming first choices in a team that picks itself most weeks.

McKay's scoring record in his first year was very poor though.

--------
19-09-2013, 05:02 PM
It's good to be so positive about things, and Maybury does seem to be enjoying his new coaching role, however, it is a just a wee tad early to suggest P.F. has turned things around because of one result against St. Johnstone. If the man had been sitting beside us over the past few years, he would have seen for himself why I/we are maybe reluctant to share his belief just yet, although there are small signs of recovery I have to say.

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I am actually looking forward to going to the game on Saturday, rather than just going along because that's what I do. This game probably becomes even more important now than it would have been, because there is a level of expectation rather than hope about it and it should be another game along the line to putting a decent run together.
If come the end of March we are up there in 2nd, 3rd or 4th spot, then I will share Maybury's belief that P.F. has turned things around, at the moment though, I'm still wearing the 'seen it all before' T-Shirt and I've been wearing it that long now I could shoot peas through it, it's that thin.

You really think Alan doesn't know how things have been at ER the last few years?

I don't think it's about one result against St Johnstone = we hit rock bottom (at least I HOPE it was rock bottom - I wouldn't want to go any lower) against Malmo at ER and since then we lost two we might have won, drawn one we probably should have lost, won one we probably didn't quite deserve to, drew in a real horror-show, and won last week probably on balance deservedly.

So what we need to do now is win at ER on Saturday and progress to the next round of the League Cup.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
19-09-2013, 08:45 PM
We have to beat St Mirren this weekend, or the last game won't count for much. It's still going to take more than the odd win to convince me that we've got our act together. We need consistency if we're to finish in a respectable position.

I agree but if we do there will be some who say "worst St Mirren team in years"

It'll likely be the same folk who complained when we beat Killie, saying "worst Killie team I've seen in years" and the same ones who complained after we beat St Johnstone that the "saints are an average side at best"

I'd love to know who we have to beat to stop these complaints :wink:

RIP
20-09-2013, 12:13 AM
I've come to like Maybury in a roundabout sort of a way.

MB62
20-09-2013, 07:13 AM
You really think Alan doesn't know how things have been at ER the last few years?
I don't think it's about one result against St Johnstone = we hit rock bottom (at least I HOPE it was rock bottom - I wouldn't want to go any lower) against Malmo at ER and since then we lost two we might have won, drawn one we probably should have lost, won one we probably didn't quite deserve to, drew in a real horror-show, and won last week probably on balance deservedly.

So what we need to do now is win at ER on Saturday and progress to the next round of the League Cup.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

There's just a wee bit of a difference from watching results come in from outside, to paying in every other week for years, being constantly frustrated.
The article suggests Alan thinks P.F. has turned things around. IMO it's still too early to confirm this but there are good signs.

jodjam
20-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Aye very good :greengrin

rcarter1
20-09-2013, 07:32 AM

It'll likely be the same folk who complained when we beat Killie, saying "worst Killie team I've seen in years" and the same ones who complained after we beat St Johnstone that the "saints are an average side at best"

Hearts by a cricket score would improve the mood considerably!:flag:

PatHead
20-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Hearts by a cricket score would improve the mood considerably!:flag:

Just a team of laddies though so won't really count.

JimBHibees
20-09-2013, 01:01 PM

I was watching one of the SPFL review programmes and the St Mirren team which only lost 1-0 to Motherwell on Saturday looked to be pretty much the same team as last year. They are still a decent team on their day and are still full of very good players such as McGowan, Thompson, Teale etc and are just going through a poor run. Their defence to me always gives you a chance however they will probably be saying the same about us.

Something like 2-1 Hibs would be my shout but nothign more than a close game. Quite where the evidence is for Hibs fans thinking we are able to go into games thinking easy win I really dont know.

JimBHibees
20-09-2013, 01:03 PM
There's just a wee bit of a difference from watching results come in from outside, to paying in every other week for years, being constantly frustrated.
The article suggests Alan thinks P.F. has turned things around. IMO it's still too early to confirm this but there are good signs.

I am not sure it does suggest that.

Maybury refuses to get over-excited about Hibs’ upturn in form. But he’s adamant Fenlon’s new-look squad is an improvement on last term’s and says there is now fierce competition to get into the gaffer’s first team.

He said: “We’re not getting carried away and it’s a long season. But after a difficult start, we’re now in the top six after couple of wins. We have to keep working hard and see where it takes us.

PatHead
20-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Anyone still wish we got Jim Goodwin?

MB62
20-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I was watching one of the SPFL review programmes and the St Mirren team which only lost 1-0 to Motherwell on Saturday looked to be pretty much the same team as last year. They are still a decent team on their day and are still full of very good players such as McGowan, Thompson, Teale etc and are just going through a poor run. Their defence to me always gives you a chance however they will probably be saying the same about us.

Something like 2-1 Hibs would be my shout but nothign more than a close game. Quite where the evidence is for Hibs fans thinking we are able to go into games thinking easy win I really dont know.

Can't say I have read anybody saying it is going to be an easy win, must have missed that.
Certainly more reasons to be optimistic for a win with Collins finding a new partner in Heffernan, but easy? Hibs never win anything easy, at least in recent times.

Hibbyradge
20-09-2013, 02:02 PM

You dinny half come out with a load of shoit when you want to :wink:, but that was a good one! :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
20-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Can't say I have read anybody saying it is going to be an easy win, must have missed that.
Certainly more reasons to be optimistic for a win with Collins finding a new partner in Heffernan, but easy? Hibs never win anything easy, at least in recent times.

Have you seen the score prediction thread. :greengrin

MB62
20-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I am not sure it does suggest that.

I suppose it depends on which part of the article you want to highlight Jim

But Maybury insists no one inside Easter Road doubted that Fenlon would turn things around – and now expects them to have a successful season.

Hibrandenburg
20-09-2013, 03:07 PM
There was a lot of bed wetting going on a few weeks ago with Hibs Net football gurus slating PF for not throwing new signings straight into the team.

My opinion is that that would have been catastrophic for team moral. If you're in the team then that should be on merit and until someone has proved themselves in training to merit his place then he should not be in it.

Maybury says there's real competition in training now and that can only be achieved if the players know that hard work will be rewarded. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating and hopefully that will mean transferring ambition in training to success on the park. Only time will tell.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2013, 06:30 PM
There was a lot of bed wetting going on a few weeks ago with Hibs Net football gurus slating PF for not throwing new signings straight into the team.

My opinion is that that would have been catastrophic for team moral. If you're in the team then that should be on merit and until someone has proved themselves in training to merit his place then he should not be in it.

Maybury says there's real competition in training now and that can only be achieved if the players know that hard work will be rewarded. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating and hopefully that will mean transferring ambition in training to success on the park. Only time will tell.

Which players are you talking about? :confused:

Hibrandenburg
20-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Whoosh! :greengrin