PDA

View Full Version : Peter Grant on Scott Brown

Dan Sarf
18-09-2013, 06:06 PM
"If somebody had offered us £4m, I would have driven him down the road myself. Absolutely," he said yesterday of reports linking the midfielder with English clubs. "He wasn't playing well enough, he was ill-disciplined, doing things you can't do in that position. So I would have grabbed the fee with both hands." Peter Grant, former Celtic assistant manager.

An interesting read...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/if-someone-had-offered-us-4m-id-have-driven-him-down-myself.22173924

Keith_M
18-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Peter Grant on Scot Brown

I really thought this was going to be another Gay Footballers thread....

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Peter Grant on Scot Brown

I really thought this was going to be another Gay Footballers thread....

Grant does not mince about there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Grant couldnae tie Brown's laces!

Jonnyboy
18-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Heavily influenced by the author of the piece because Grant can barely string a sentence together.

Scott Brown is 10 times the player Grant was IMO

Bishop Hibee
18-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Heavily influenced by the author of the piece because Grant can barely string a sentence together.

Agree 100%. Brown's lack of 'Celtc mindedness' is why he has never really been accepted by many at Darkheid.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Agree 100%. Brown's lack of 'Celtc mindedness' is why he has never really been accepted by many at Darkheid.

Same thing happened to McGinlay and to a lesser extent John Collins.

Shrekko
18-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Wayne Rooney is 10 times the player Sir Alex Ferguson was- so should he not have had an opinion on him last season?

To say Peter Grant can't string a sentence together is just blatantly untrue. You may disagree with what he thinks and says but he does not lack basic intelligence.

Jonnyboy
18-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Wayne Rooney is 10 times the player Sir Alex Ferguson was- so should he not have had an opinion on him last season?

To say Peter Grant can't string a sentence together is just blatantly untrue. You may disagree with what he thinks and says but he does not lack basic intelligence.

Fair enough. Always struck me as having his brains in his feet :greengrin

Maybe I should put it down to the fact that I just don't like Grant and never have

truehibernian
18-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Very true, but he always lacked class on a football pitch (Grant) for me :agree:

Grant had the luxury of having wonderful players (and people) around him at Celtic, namely Tommy Burns, Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, our own Murdo and John Collins - on the pitch I always found Grant to be a wannabe/pseudo hard man who would cowardly kick a player then run away pointing saying 'he did it ref' - he also committed some horrendous fouls on the pitch in games and got away with it. He was Celtic's version of Graeme Souness. The only thing was Souness was a player as well as a thug, Grant was allowed to look a player due to those very talented players around him.

Just my opinion of course :greengrin

Hibbyradge
18-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Tonight, Brown gave away a needless free kick for an off the ball incident which led to Milan's second goal.

Bostonhibby
18-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Very true, but he always lacked class on a football pitch (Grant) for me :agree:

Grant had the luxury of having wonderful players (and people) around him at Celtic, namely Tommy Burns, Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, our own Murdo and John Collins - on the pitch I always found Grant to be a wannabe/pseudo hard man who would cowardly kick a player then run away pointing saying 'he did it ref' - he also committed some horrendous fouls on the pitch in games and got away with it. He was Celtic's version of Graeme Souness. The only thing was Souness was a player as well as a thug, Grant was allowed to look a player due to those very talented players around him.

:agree:This, Grant was a very poor player and an even worse "hard man" in that he was just a sneaky kicker and run awayer - nae Graeme Souness but celtc minded and all celtc could afford at the time.

truehibernian
18-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Tonight, Brown gave away a needless free kick for an off the ball incident which led to Milan's second goal.

He did, but he strolled though the game and for me was MotM along with Adam Matthews.

johnrebus
18-09-2013, 10:40 PM
What is this obsession with Scott ****ing Brown?

He plays for Celtic.

Get over it.

TheFamous1875
18-09-2013, 10:44 PM

He plays for Celtic.

Get over it.

It'd help if he'd been replaced since he left but he hasn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3pm
18-09-2013, 10:54 PM
I do not like Scott Brown. However, he had a very good game tonight albeit against a pish Milan midfield.

Although different types of player at ER, nobody will convince me that Thomson wasn't the better footballer of the two. Brown got cult status because he was a radge. Thomson's injuries done him.

I am in the minority on that one though.

johnrebus
18-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Fletcher, Riordan , Whittaker, Murphy etc have not been replaced.

This obsession with Brown is just weird.

Dan Sarf
18-09-2013, 10:56 PM

He plays for Celtic.

Get over it.

Point taken. No more obsessing. Sorry you were upset. (But is it OK if we're just mildly interested in how former players are getting on?)

Bostonhibby
18-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I do not like Scott Brown. However, he had a very good game tonight albeit against a pish Milan midfield.

Although different types of player at ER, nobody will convince me that Thomson wasn't the better footballer of the two. Brown got cult status because he was a radge. Thomson's injuries done him.

Me tae, not defending Brown against Grant here as I'd have done the same if Grant had slagged off Alan O'Brien!

First time round at Hibs KT was a better player than Brown in my view. Why I was so pisd off when he left whereas was happy to get the money we did for Brown.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Would agree as well.

Different players but Thomson was the better of the 2 for me.

What a ridiculous number of good players we had then....

Broken Gnome
18-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Me tae, not defending Brown against Grant here as I'd have done the same if Grant had slagged off Alan O'Brien!

First time round at Hibs KT was a better player than Brown in my view. Why I was so pisd off when he left whereas was happy to get the money we did for Brown.

Even if people think Thomson is/was a better player than Brown, pretty obvious why a lot of people preferred Scott as a player. We've not produced many in that style, and Thomson wasn't really blessed with the ability to run from his goal line to set up goals at Ibrox -one of countless examples.

Brown was more exciting, quicker and could score more. Doesn't necessarily mean he was better, but still.

monktonharp
18-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Even if people think Thomson is/was a better player than Brown, pretty obvious why a lot of people preferred Scott as a player. We've not produced many in that style, and Thomson wasn't really blessed with the ability to run from his goal line to set up goals at Ibrox -one of countless examples.

Brown was more exciting, quicker and could score more. Doesn't necessarily mean he was better, but still.:agree:he was the reason that Ivan got into the history books. I first saw him at ER, aged 17 and thought, that's a player!. bit o' a nutter on the pitch at times, and on camera, well that's another story.

Unseen work
18-09-2013, 11:51 PM

Would agree with you aswell. Thomson is a great player and injuries have really held him back. I thought moving to Middlesbrough was a odd move for him but even though he was injured for most of it still featured and captained the side a lot. At rangers he was a standout every game and that was in a very good rangers side who won trophies and got far in Europe.

I think sometimes we don't realise how good some players are because we produced them.

Brown is a great player aswell but should be a lot better and more direct if you ask me, that was his main attribute imo and it's been coached out of him.

I compare players such as these 2 by thinking IMO Thomson could do everything brown could in a game, but brown couldn't so everything thomson could.

Thomson does have the capabilities to score like his goal for us against Celtic then again for rangers against Celtic and scored some from long range iirc. Just think with his injuries he prefers to sit and dictate now

The Gorf
19-09-2013, 07:20 AM

He plays for Celtic.

Get over it.
Too right mate. I'm still having nightmares about that red Mohican he used to have when he started at ER.

The Sea-gull
19-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Same thing happened to McGinlay and to a lesser extent John Collins.

I know what you mean. Being Celtic minded isn't just about being a Celtic fan (as Pat and JC both were) there is something else to it. Can't describe it and maybe someone of the Celtic persuasion will. By the way, I don't think it is a religious thing either. Examples might be:-

Paul McStay = Celtic minded
Peter Grant = Celtic minded
Murdo McLeod = Celtic minded
Tommy Burns = Celtic minded
Paul Hartley = Celtic fan but not Celtic minded
Scott Brown = Neither a fan nor Celtic minded

Both Pat and JC were there at the wrong time as Celtic were as bad as they have ever been and for a fairly long time to boot in the late 80s right up until well past the mid 90s.

Pat was a good player in SPL terms, would have been a hero at any SPL club he played for barring the Old Firm but he perhaps just lacked that little bit extra class that Old Firm fans look for.

JC on the other hand was class in anyones company. He should have left Celtic a lot earlier than he did. They wasted him too by playing him wide left and changing him from the class no 10 that he had been for Hibs. All to accomodate Paul McStay and Peter Bloody Grant. McStay was a good player but Grant was very over-rated and it was probably his own "Celtic mindedness" that kept him there and why the fans liked him.

Collins' class shone right through after he left Parkhead and starred for Monaco in the Champions League, a few good years in the English Premier not to mention being a class act at international level for a decade at a time when we actually qualified for tournaments.

The Sea-gull
19-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Just shows how budget Celtic were back then. Souness was miles ahead of Grant as player and as a hardman thug for that matter!

basehibby
19-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I know what you mean. Being Celtic minded isn't just about being a Celtic fan (as Pat and JC both were) there is something else to it. Can't describe it and maybe someone of the Celtic persuasion will. ....

No need to ask anyone of a Celtic persuasion as it's no mystery.

Being Celtic minded = being blinkered and obsessed by Celtic to the point where you buy all their BS and think that the sun shines out of it's erse. Murdo McLeod is a classic example - brilliant guy but bloody painful to listen to re anything connected with Celtic as he just can't help being biased.

JC & Pat McGinlay may have supported Celtic as kids but I'm willing to bet that both would class themselves as Hibbies - hence the blinkered obsession is not there and they aint "Celtic minded"

ancient hibee
19-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Brown played quite well against Milan but should have scored and shouldn't have got involved.And these are the two biggest weaknesses in his game.

number9dream
19-09-2013, 06:31 PM
How many of the current Sellic team are Sellic minded? Stokes and maybe a few of the younger guys. Most of the players are from overseas.
Broon was excellent at the San Siro. He appears to be thriving in a deeper role now his injury worries are behind him. He's now hopeless in front of goal, though.

The Sea-gull
19-09-2013, 07:07 PM
How many of the current Sellic team are Sellic minded? Stokes and maybe a few of the younger guys. Most of the players are from overseas.
Broon was excellent at the San Siro. He appears to be thriving in a deeper role now his injury worries are behind him. He's now hopeless in front of goal, though.
He was never the best in front of goal. If you look at his stats he has never hit double figures. 8 is his best and that was at hibs about 7 years ago. In the main it has all been 3, 4 and 5 goals per season. Good player though, he's not a striker or even an attacking midfielder so while a better goal rate would have enhanced him he has enough going for him to out weigh his lack of a prolific goal count.

portycabbage
19-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Would agree with you aswell. Thomson is a great player and injuries have really held him back. I thought moving to Middlesbrough was a odd move for him but even though he was injured for most of it still featured and captained the side a lot. At rangers he was a standout every game and that was in a very good rangers side who won trophies and got far in Europe.

I think sometimes we don't realise how good some players are because we produced them.

Brown is a great player aswell but should be a lot better and more direct if you ask me, that was his main attribute imo and it's been coached out of him.

I compare players such as these 2 by thinking IMO Thomson could do everything brown could in a game, but brown couldn't so everything thomson could.

Thomson does have the capabilities to score like his goal for us against Celtic then again for rangers against Celtic and scored some from long range iirc. Just think with his injuries he prefers to sit and dictate now

Not that I want to defend a current opposition player v one of our current ones, but I'd have to say that Brown was always better than Thomson. Both are good players who've been hampered a lot by injuries, but Brown (at least for us) was box-to-box and fast, like when he was out-running Lovenkrands with the ball at Ibrox during one of those routine 3-0 victories! I always thought of Brown as being an attacking player, and due to injury and Celtic not understanding what his biggest attributes were, he's seen as a sitting midfield enforcer (you'd think tackling might be more usefull there than the ability to carry the ball at pace and having a good engine).

I think Thomson probably has a better range of passing than brown, but has never been a goal scorer - he's scored about 4 in his whole career, while Brown has scored about 30. And Brown played well up front and as a winger in his early Hibs career, which for me is what Brown could do but you couldn't imagine Thomson doing at any stage in his career- I think Brown is a better 'ball-player' than Thomson.

I'd still have both of them in the Hibs team now though, no offense to our many other midfielders!

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: Celtic Minded.

I always thought that was a eupemism for a Celtc supporting Roman Catholic.

Celtc fans, thck as pg sht snce 1888.