PDA

View Full Version : Are goals over-rated??

bigwheel
18-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Are Goals what football is all about? or are they over-rated?? When you are watching us (or another game), is it all about the goals? The moment when the breakthrough happens, or the loss of a goal kicks us in the guts. Or do you view the game's beauty in terms of the struggle to get the goal. The passing, the movement, the pattern of play, the formations, the closing down to win the ball back, the midfield run even if that pass doesn't make it through...

What beauty do you get out of the game? or is it all about the goals??

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-09-2013, 05:01 PM
You can have all the nice one touch football you want, but, unless you score at least one your team ain't going to win. At least we've had the "Hibs way" to keep us enthralled for the 35 years I've been watching Hibs.

1987kev
18-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Goals r what it's about but I do love a great pass or skill. Stokes pass for 3 goal on Saturday was better than any of goals in the game.

Kato
18-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Are Goals what football is all about? or are they over-rated?? When you are watching us (or another game), is it all about the goals? The moment when the breakthrough happens, or the loss of a goal kicks us in the guts. Or do you view the game's beauty in terms of the struggle to get the goal. The passing, the movement, the pattern of play, the formations, the closing down to win the ball back, the midfield run even if that pass doesn't make it through...

You've left out the possibility that all skillful aspects of the game can be admired. Saying that a DVD compilation of great throw-ins/corners/passes/off-side traps won't sell much.

Try releasing "Great Pieces of Unseen-Work from Season 2013-14" and see what the market is.

dangermouse
19-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Goals are what it's all about be it a beautifully crafted flowing passing movement resulting in a goal or a shot going well wide of target that hits off a defenders coupon and deflects into the net with the keeper stranded, especially when playing the Jambo's :greengrin

Golden Bear
19-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Entertainment is the key word for me.

I've seen some fantastic games where the score finished 0 - 0 but there's been plenty of great football, missed chances, great saves, controversial incidents etc.

It's always a bonus when your team wins but I don't mind stumping up the cash, if at the end of the 90 minutes, I feel as though I've received good value for my money.

spike220
19-09-2013, 08:44 AM

What beauty do you get out of the game? or is it all about the goals?? Is that you Pat???

basehibby
19-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Are goals overrated? No No NO!!!

Goals are Quasi-orgasmic - a goal is an exciting exhilerating explosive climactic beauty of a thing.

By gum - I never played that much football and usually played right back (in the changing room ...yes), but on the rare occasion I scored a goal I would invariably just about kick the Mrs out of bed dreaming about it!

I could go on and get pretty graphic here with this simile, but suffice to say that the football itself is like foreplay which can be a fascinating, sophisticated thing of beauty or it can be rough and ready and straight to the point - either way though, with a goal at the end of it you'll always get that glow of satisfaction, while without one the chances are you're gonna go away feeling somewhat cheated.

Hibercelona
19-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Good football should equal goals. If theres no goals, then the football really wasn't that good after all and you're simply deluding yourself. I really don't like 0-0 scorelines.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-09-2013, 09:23 AM
17 years on I still dream of a goal I scored at Leith Links. Cannae beat the euphoria of a goal. The only thing that comes close to it is absolutely ending your opponent in the first minute of a game. Fairly of course.

Golden Bear
19-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Are goals overrated? No No NO!!!

Goals are Quasi-orgasmic - a goal is an exciting exhilerating explosive climactic beauty of a thing.

By gum - I never played that much football and usually played right back (in the changing room ...yes), but on the rare occasion I scored a goal I would invariably just about kick the Mrs out of bed dreaming about it!

I could go on and get pretty graphic here with this simile, but suffice to say that the football itself is like foreplay which can be a fascinating, sophisticated thing of beauty or it can be rough and ready and straight to the point - either way though, with a goal at the end of it you'll always get that glow of satisfaction, while without one the chances are you're gonna go away feeling somewhat cheated.

:agree:

Amadou Konte's blistering and dramatic drive against Motherwell springs to mind. That epic and unforgettable goal ensured our European qualification and I could have swore it rained beach balls that afternoon.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2013, 12:11 PM
In my opinion the silky football, the great passes, the individual pieces of skill are all irrelevant if your team is unable to score goals. The moment the ball hits the back of the net is is like a pressure release for me.

Stringer
19-09-2013, 01:14 PM
In my opinion the silky football, the great passes, the individual pieces of skill are all irrelevant if your team is unable to score goals. The moment the ball hits the back of the net is is like a pressure release for me.

i disagree. I tend to remember a great piece of skill rather than the score line. Goals are important but football is meant to be played a certain way.

jdships
19-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Players play matches TO WIN
Clubs play matches TO WIN
TO WIN one team has to score more goals than their opponents
I want my team to score goals to WIN MATCHES - the game is all about results END OF :flag:

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2013, 03:03 PM
i disagree. I tend to remember a great piece of skill rather than the score line. Goals are important but football is meant to be played a certain way.

The object of the game is to get the ball into your opponents net, the bi product of that whether it be skill, silky football or a great pass is very nice to watch but without goals the game cannot be won so they are the most important thing in a game of football.

bigwheel
19-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Players play matches TO WIN
Clubs play matches TO WIN
TO WIN one team has to score more goals than their opponents
I want my team to score goals to WIN MATCHES - the game is all about results END OF :flag:

I don't share that view ...I love the technicality of the game ...a hard fought nil nil against another side , where good tactics are on show , teams trying to break each other down - changing formations to gain an advantage ..all of that is part of the magic of the game...

I like to see a player trying to effect the game - even of it doesn't quite come off...

Goals and winning are important but the game is much more than that to me ...

Eyrie
19-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimately football is about winning, which you can only do by scoring more goals than the opposition, so goals cannot be overrated.

That said, I watch football for entertainment and would rather see a good nil-nil with both teams showing good skill in attack and organisation in defence than sit through a 6-6 slop-fest.

nonshinyfinish
19-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Ultimately football is about winning, which you can only do by scoring more goals than the opposition, so goals cannot be overrated.

That said, I watch football for entertainment and would rather see a good nil-nil with both teams showing good skill in attack and organisation in defence than sit through a 6-6 slop-fest.

This is the thing. Goals are, pretty much by definition, the most important part of football, but it doesn't follow that the more goals there are in a game, the better it is.

A big part of the magic of football, IMO, is that it's relatively low scoring. That means that each goal is of great value, which leads to the 'quasi-orgasmic' nature of them mentioned above. The low scoring also makes football more unpredictable and prone to upsets - compare with basketball, where the team that plays better on the day will almost always win, because the odd lucky break is statistically insignificant.

If a game finishes 6-6 because of dazzling attacking displays from both teams, then fine. If it finishes 6-6 because of utterly hapless defending and goalkeeping from both teams (Graeme Smith, hang your head), then I'd prefer a competitive, skilfully played 1-1, thank you very much.

(In the wake of the infamous 6-6 at Fir Park, when people were talking about it being the best SPL game ever, I tried to make a similar point, and someone's counter-argument was that almost every goal involves an error somewhere. I agree with that, but for me it's the difference between an error like a defender giving the striker a wee bit too much space, and an error like a professional goalkeeper letting the ball go straight through him, twice. Motherwell's defending for some of our goals was beyond the pale too - our sixth being the one that sticks in the mind.)

portycabbage
19-09-2013, 08:20 PM
You've left out the possibility that all skillful aspects of the game can be admired. Saying that a DVD compilation of great throw-ins/corners/passes/off-side traps won't sell much.

Try releasing "Great Pieces of Unseen-Work from Season 2013-14" and see what the market is.

Is Brian Kerr still playing for us? I haven't seen him, but that proves nothing.

I did see the first 5 or so minutes of his Hibs career though!

Sir David Gray
19-09-2013, 08:33 PM
The whole point of any sport is to win.

In football, you can't win unless you score a goal.

For that reason, goals are the most important thing for me whilst watching a football match.

I'm not saying that I've never seen an exciting match that's ended 0-0 but if there were too many of them throughout a season then crowds would quickly disappear.

Northernhibee
19-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Moments like Caldwell's goal against Hearts last season, Deek's screamer against them, or Sparky's goal vs Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi final are beyond anything else - that moment of sheer release after a tense game can't be matched by a few stepovers or a few nice passes - it's the very definition of why football is played.

IMO of course.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Has anyone had the same euphoria as a goal gives when we have had a good piece of play, i know i have not? :confused:

Kato
20-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Has anyone had the same euphoria as a goal gives when we have had a good piece of play, i know i have not? :confused:

Very very occasionally when someone like Alex Edwards or Wee Russel were extracting the urine it's felt almost like scoring a goal, ...almost.

I enjoy all aspects of the game, the most mundane parts - good tracking back and a completed tackle, little bits of defensive anticipation etc etc etc . It's possible to take all good aspects of the game in and appreciate them. Goals are where it's at though, goals are where it's at.

matty_f
20-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Moments like Caldwell's goal against Hearts last season, Deek's screamer against them, or Sparky's goal vs Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi final are beyond anything else - that moment of sheer release after a tense game can't be matched by a few stepovers or a few nice passes - it's the very definition of why football is played.

IMO of course.

I'd agree with that. That instant when the game changes because of a goal is unmatched.

JimBHibees
20-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Definitely not however the fantastic keep ball Hibs did against Rangers at Ibrox when 1 up a few years back was pretty special.

nonshinyfinish
20-09-2013, 08:09 PM

The point I'm trying to make (probably not terribly well) is that the euphoria is only so, well, euphoric because goals are relatively rare. I'm not saying I want to see goalless draws, but I disagree with the school of thought that a high-scoring game is automatically a good one.