PDA

View Full Version : 72 - 91 - 07

Bobo
18-09-2013, 10:10 AM
For those who attended or are old enough to remember our three League Cup successes, which win would you say was the biggest achievement, not necessarily the best result, and which gave you the most satisfaction?

1972 - Our first major trophy since the exploits of the Famous Five.

1991 - Winning the cup following financial hardships and the failed hostile takeover by Wallace Mercer.

2007 - Winning with a young squad of players following a switch of manager mid campaign.

For me it's close between the first two but achievement wise, for everything the club had gone through, the 1991 side just edges it.

In terms of satisfaction it has to be the 1972 success and to see the greatest team I've ever witnessed winning something tangible during an era when their play deserved so much more reward.

If it wasn't for Celtics all conquering 9 in a row side, the Tornadoes team would have emulated the exploits of the Famous Five side some 20 odd years before them.

brian6-2
18-09-2013, 10:17 AM
i would go with 1991. even the semi was like a cup final win. never forget big keiths header v the huns or him slotting past rhodes in the final. after everything we had just been through i would say that cup win meant the most.

Hibercelona
18-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Hadn't turned 1 yet. But 1991 was the most memorable for me. :greengrin

We not only pulled off the near impossible, we rammed it right up those trumpets while doing so.

SaulGoodman
18-09-2013, 10:20 AM
I would go with 07 because its the only time I've ever seen Hibs win a bloody cup!

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2013, 10:22 AM
without any doubt 72 :aok: although we had a very good team at that time, beating a rather good sellick team that still had a couple of players from the Lisbon Lions team (that won the European cup just 5 years earlier) and included players like kenny Dalgleish/Harry Hood/Lou Macari, and of course jinky johnstone, in a national cup final in weegieland was a superb feat :flag:

cabbageandribs1875
18-09-2013, 10:24 AM
If it wasn't for Celtics all conquering 9 in a row side, the Tornadoes team would have emulated the exploits of the Famous Five side some 20 odd years before them.

very much so :agree: damn jock steins sellick :(

gegs70
18-09-2013, 10:26 AM
As I was born in 72 that one came a bit too early for me. 1991 for me as this was the first cup win I had seen....hopefully we wont have to wait as long for another one!!!!

PeeJay
18-09-2013, 10:27 AM
without any doubt 72 :aok: although we had a very good team at that time, beating a rather good sellick team that still had a couple of players from the Lisbon Lions team (that won the European cup just 5 years earlier) and included players like kenny Dalgleish/Harry Hood/Lou Macari, and of course jinky johnstone, in a national cup final in weegieland was a superb feat :flag:
Agree - 1972 - Of the 3 trophies, this was the best performance, our finest ever team and the team we played against was the most difficult of the 3 opponents, plus it was the only final of the 3 that I was at :greengrin...

Peevemor
18-09-2013, 10:28 AM
91 for me.

72 I was only 5 and can't remember much about anything.

91 especially the SF v the huns was HUGE!

07 watched via the internet from here in France - not the same buzz.

jdships
18-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Has to be 1972 for me
having been old enough to enjoy the " Famous Five " everything was a bit of " after the Lord Mayor's show " in football terms for a number of years

This team gave us all something to really celebrate
Jim Heriot, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Jimmy O’Rourke, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley and Arthur Duncan. The substitute was Johnny Hamilton.

Happy days !!:flag:

Northernhibee
18-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Saw the thread title and thought it was the 'vital stats' of the Get Vlad Out lass.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2013, 10:38 AM
1991 for me.

1st trophy i watched Hibs win and was abgreat acheivement after the events of the previous couple of years.

Argylehibby
18-09-2013, 11:11 AM
72 for me. First time I saw us win anything important and I was there with my Celtic supporting uncle and cousin. Excellent journey home added to the experience ;:greengrin. As has been mentioned before it was a great team beating another great team in stein's celtic but doing it in style. There was nothing lucky about that win and we witnessed possably the stand out performance of any Hibs player in any game. Pat Stanton was absolute class that day.

07 was pretty special too, first, and so far only, time we won anything when I had both my daughters at the game with me.

Deansy
18-09-2013, 11:19 AM
72 - Not just for beating the 'Soap-Dodgers' but for the style that we played it in ............ pure velvet !!

Tom Hart RIP
18-09-2013, 11:27 AM
72 for me but mainly due to the opposition. Also, I think everybody underestimates our achievements winning the Drybrough Cup twice. For a start only the top scorers of both divisions qualified, but twice we beat a strong Rangers team twice in the semi finals in front of almost 30,000 fans, then beat a VERY strong Celtic team at Hampden 5-3 and 1-0. Both half of the Old Firm took these games seriously but people seem to think this tournament was just some pre-season kick about. PS Does anyone else remember seeing the open top 'vehicle' that drove round the pitch with the Cup ahead of a friendly with West Brom I think?

Bostonhibby
18-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Can't split 91 and 72. 91 because of what we had just gone through and survived. 72 because we were a fantastic attacking side who were good enough to bounce back after a 6-1 cup final defeat to a very good Celtic side and play them off the pitch. That was still far and away the best hibs side I have ever seen.

Completely agree comments above re Dryburgh cup.

Waxy
18-09-2013, 11:50 AM
91 for me as it was the first cup i'd seen us win. I'll never forget thr scenes and the amount of Hibbys that where on the street.
I'd estimate at 400,001

southsider
18-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Agree - 1972 - Of the 3 trophies, this was the best performance, our finest ever team and the team we played against was the most difficult of the 3 opponents, plus it was the only final of the 3 that I was at :greengrin...

Pat,s finest game. Best Hibs player i have ever seen but that day he was majestic. "Hail King Paddy" screamed the headlines !

howdenthehibby
18-09-2013, 01:18 PM
This! The only time ive seen us gub the smellies in a national cup final.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I was at all 3 finals, and when i was starting to pick one as my favorite, i'd think of something about one of the others and change my mind.

72 was great, we beat a great team and we were a great side ourselves.

91 was great too, just because of the year before.

07 was great, and probably my greatest weekend watching Hibs, as we had a fantastic time on the Saturday night before, and the same again on the Sunday. I obviously remember this one more than the others, but they were all great.

I just can't separate them.

Leithenhibby
18-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Being old enough to have attended all 3.. :aok:
I find this hard to choose, as each one has it best memories.

72 - as it was our best team since the famous five and Celtic were a strong team at that time.

91 - as many others have said because of the previous year! reduced to tears....

07 - as I had my young sons with me and that meant everything. :not worth....

72 - purely because we beat them in Glasgow, and played some wonderful stuff. I can still see Alan Gordon's shot being cleared off the line to make it 3-0... :wink:

vanNISHtelroy
18-09-2013, 02:13 PM
2007, it was the only one I was at :rolleyes:

Saorsa
18-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Hadn't turned 1 yet. But 1991 was the most memorable for me. :greengrin

We not only pulled off the near impossible, we rammed it right up those trumpets while doing so.How can you're most memorable be something you're no auld enough tae remember?

Was around 72 but no auld enough tae remember it so it has tae be 91 for me both for the semi against the stickies and the final. Coming just efter the hands off Hibs it was some achievement. Had green and white wig and green and white face paint for the final :greengrin

TheFamous1875
18-09-2013, 03:12 PM
How can you're most memorable be something you're no auld enough tae remember?

Was around 72 but no auld enough tae remember it so it has tae be 91 for me both for the semi against the stickies and the final. Coming just efter the hands off Hibs it was some achievement. Had green and white wig and green and white face paint for the final :greengrin

Yer no one eh these clowns, are ye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Saorsa
18-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Yer no one eh these clowns, are ye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDNah, never had a tea cosy :greengrin face was totally painted, one half green, one half white, same as the wig but reversed.

lEXO
18-09-2013, 03:23 PM
They are all special but 07 for me. We hammered a team that many thought would beat us. The performance, the atmosphere and sunshine on Leith at the end was special. Say what you like about John Collins but he knew what it meant to us and you could see what it meant to him. A special day for our club.

Barman Stanton
18-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Was at 91 and 07 but will have to go with 07. Mainly because I was old enough to celebrate that one more. And the sunshine on leith was very special indeed.

Robinho08
18-09-2013, 03:58 PM
2007 for me as I was there.

Wasn't around for 72 and watched 91 on the telly with my rellies. :-D

CropleyWasGod
18-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Wasn't there in 72, but it cemented in me the idea of being a Hibby.

Was there in 91, with my Dad, and it was the best day in my Hibby life.

Until 2007, when I was there with my Dad and my 2 boys.

Next time with the grandkids? :rolleyes:

Stantons Angel
18-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Pat,s finest game. Best Hibs player i have ever seen but that day he was majestic. "Hail King Paddy" screamed the headlines !

I have to go for the 1972 final due to the fact that this must have been the upteenth final between the best two teams of that time.

Anyone not around at that time cant appreciate how good a team Hibs were and Only Celtic could touch them in footballing ability, just superb!

as the poster above says this was "God's" game where he showed just what it meant to be a Hibs supporter and play for your team!

snooky
18-09-2013, 05:00 PM
1972 - I was there. First time we turned up thinking - and rightly so - we were better than our Old firm opposition

1991 - I was abroad. It still chokes me to watch "The Team That Nearly Died".

2007 - I was there and it was part of a family special day. Enjoyed the last quarter knowing that we'd won the cup.

Of the three, oddly enough I'd pick 1991 - the one I missed - as it was a real fairy tale. KKK's header against the Huns and his classy slotter in the final.

eastterrace
18-09-2013, 06:58 PM
72 for me but mainly due to the opposition. Also, I think everybody underestimates our achievements winning the Drybrough Cup twice. For a start only the top scorers of both divisions qualified, but twice we beat a strong Rangers team twice in the semi finals in front of almost 30,000 fans, then beat a VERY strong Celtic team at Hampden 5-3 and 1-0. Both half of the Old Firm took these games seriously but people seem to think this tournament was just some pre-season kick about. PS Does anyone else remember seeing the open top 'vehicle' that drove round the pitch with the Cup ahead of a friendly with West Brom I think?
yes it was a dumper truck with two players in it, pretty embarrassing i seem to remember

sadtom
18-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Being old enough to have attended all 3.. :aok:
I find this hard to choose, as each one has it best memories.

72 - as it was our best team since the famous five and Celtic were a strong team at that time.

91 - as many others have said because of the previous year! reduced to tears....

07 - as I had my young sons with me and that meant everything. :not worth....

72 - purely because we beat them in Glasgow, and played some wonderful stuff. I can still see Alan Gordon's shot being cleared off the line to make it 3-0... :wink:

Pretty much sums it up for me.
Fortunate to be at all 3, though very young and cant recall much detail of the 72 game.
Football wise 72 was the greater achievement as the celtc 9 in a row team were arguably the best ever domestic Scottish club side.
The 91 game represented our declaration that we would never die. For that reason i'd say it was the most emotional and most important.
Like you, 07 was great as i had my boys with me and they were the same age i was in 72 which brought back so many memories.

Roxyhibee
18-09-2013, 07:14 PM
They were all truly great days for different reasons. Thanks for the memories.

07 was fantastic and the best and most emotional singing Hampden has ever heard. Ever - and the rest of them all know it. The media would love to hear it again and our rivals dread it, knowing that song is ours..

91 was incredible for reasons stated previous. We were supposed to be wiped off the face of the earth a year previous and so many of our rivals were destroyed inside at the sight of us parading a trophy round Hampden. It was just what our great club needed and many tears of pure joy were shed that day at our revival.

72 was easily the best team performance of the 3 finals and one of the greatest of all time by 11 Hibees. Celtic were really up for it and still one of the best teams in Europe. Lisbon may have been 5 years previous but they had been in the European Cup final just 2 years before which they could have won again if they hadn't been so complacent. They had also brought in players like Dalgleish and Macari. Hibs were just immense and Celtic couldnt touch them. I was there as a 13 year old with my dad and uncle and we were surrounded by the Weeg, who were very unfriendly toward us at half time, knowing we had outplayed them in the first half and wary of us after what we did to them in the Dryburgh a few months before. A light rain came on, floodlights on in the dark December sky dazzling the white sleeves and we just destroyed them with football in the second half. The huge Hibs support went into full voice and an hour later King Paddy was holding the cup aloft for us. Just a magical day and even those same nippy Weeg fans came up to us at the end and congratulated our teams incredible performance. They had to - it was respect for one of the few teams in Britain and the most of Europe that could outplay them like that.

72 was the greatest and is the standard we should always be trying to achieve at Hibs.

Miguel
18-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Every single one of them were magical for reasons outlined elsewhere.

--------
18-09-2013, 07:56 PM

It was the first trophy for 20 years, and a major comeback after a complete horsing the previous May in the Scottish Cup.

And quite simply I have never seen a Hibs team play as that team did in the second half - that was the best 45 minutes I've seen from ANY Scottish team, including the Lisbon Lions at their best.

And that against a Celtic team with McGrain, McNeill, Connelly, Dalglish, Macari, Hood, Johnstone ...

We made them look utterly pedestrian that afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaY75jHC-4

Pat Stanton in particular was magnificent.

Eyrie
18-09-2013, 08:37 PM
1991 for me. Coming so soon after we were nearly killed off, and being my birthday made it a special occasion.

I was too young to be aware of Hibs in 1972 and only saw 2007 on TV, so neither has the same associations.

PS: Let's add 2014 to the list please.

Jonnyboy
18-09-2013, 08:46 PM
72 - magnificent win inspired by a magnificent captain against magnificent opponents. Magnificent all round :greengrin

91 - a team and club that had risen from the ashes so a fabulous achievement

07 - fabulous football played the way it should be

My personal favourite is the '72 win because we beat the best team in Scotland to win it

brog
18-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Firstly, what a great thread, brings back so many happy memories. It's hard to differentiate but 1972 was first time I had seen us win anything, it was our 1st cup for 70 years & it came 7 months after the same team had stuffed us 6-1 in the previous final at Hampden. For the many posters on here too young to remember 1972 here's a stat for you to savour. In the space of 15 months we played Rangers & Celtic 8 times in semi finals & finals & won 7 of them! In the 5 months to 01/01/1973 we scored 5 goals in a half on 5 occasions, vs Sporting Lisbon & Ayr at home & Dundee Utd, Airdrie & I forget the other one :wink: away. We were a tad spoiled!
PS, 91 & 07 were awesome also!

Bishop Hibee
18-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Wasn't at '72 but '91 beats 2007 for me. After seeing the club near extinction the year before, to win a trophy was near miraculous. The celebrations afterwards were superb in the streets of Leith, at ER and in the boozer! 2007 was great to watch and my boys saw their first Hibs trophy but only the Scottish Cup will beat '91 for me.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-09-2013, 09:17 PM
72 - I was still an unopened bottle of wine

91 - My favourite due to the year before

07 - Barred from Hampden by my mates who thought I was a jinx. They were proved right.

91 for me. The scenes!

Bostonhibby
18-09-2013, 09:41 PM
72 - I was still an unopened bottle of wine

91 - My favourite due to the year before

07 - Barred from Hampden by my mates who thought I was a jinx. They were proved right.

91 for me. The scenes!

in 91 the East end of Princes street in particular was a good memory and around the ground was too but as a 12 year old in 1972 who made it to the ground afterwards it was just electric, the best atmosphere ever, I'd say I remember it more than beating the yam 7-0 - the culture then wasn't so health & safety driven and you moved with the crowd in the streets, I remember a cop who was clearly a Hibby and celebrating out of my cousins bottle! could you see that happening now?

In this picture you can see King Paddy, on the night in question quite a few of us could see him holding the cup up but we were a good bit back from the actual picture.We beat one of the best teams in Europe with some fine players and we did it with style.

Dunderhall
18-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Was 7 for the 72 win, I just remember being taken to the North British for the cup to come out.

91 was it for me, cash at the gate if I remember and we cut it fine to get into the north terracing, I'm sure they closed some gates and people ended up in the Dunfermline end.

'07 was surreal, hibs don't win important games easily do they, so to know we had the cup and enjoy it before the final whistle was great.

Off topic, can any old(er) buds confirm whether the old fruit market next to the NB was a hole in the ground at the 72 win, or am I getting days mixed up. Remember it was a fairground at some time for a bit.

Bobo
18-09-2013, 10:48 PM
It's great reading everyone's memories and their reasons for preferring a particular final, thanks for all the replies.

The 1972 final will always be the one for me as it epitomises they way I want to watch Hibs play but as I said in my opening post 1991 was some achievement too under the circumstances.

All three finals were brilliant occasions ...... here's to the next one :flag::flag:

VPHIBEE
19-09-2013, 10:21 AM
For those who attended or are old enough to remember our three League Cup successes, which win would you say was the biggest achievement, not necessarily the best result, and which gave you the most satisfaction?

1972 - Our first major trophy since the exploits of the Famous Five.

1991 - Winning the cup following financial hardships and the failed hostile takeover by Wallace Mercer.

2007 - Winning with a young squad of players following a switch of manager mid campaign.

For me it's close between the first two but achievement wise, for everything the club had gone through, the 1991 side just edges it.

In terms of satisfaction it has to be the 1972 success and to see the greatest team I've ever witnessed winning something tangible during an era when their play deserved so much more reward.

1991 - First time I saw us win anything. All the Hibees on the streets when we got back from Glasgow was amazing.

neilmartinrocks
19-09-2013, 10:31 AM
72 was only 10 and nicked a bottle of cider on the bus so spent the day spewing up:rolleyes:. 91 Mogadon was in charge didn't go. So it would have to be 2007 for me.

erin go bragh
19-09-2013, 11:14 AM
72 was only 2
91 the semi was amazing but got locked out of the fina( thousands were locked out) missed all the first half , ended up in some boozer with sashes on the walls . Glad we won but gutted to miss it live , had a £5 on Mcintyre to score first at 33-1 . Did manage to kiss the cup when budgie ran up to the East terracing with it later

2007 first ( only) time i stood at Hampden and seen us lift a cup , what made it even more special was having my son beside me . The rendition of sunshine on leith will stay with me till the day i die . 2007 wins it hands down for me .

Ggtth

Tom Hart RIP
19-09-2013, 06:30 PM
72 was only 2
91 the semi was amazing but got locked out of the fina( thousands were locked out) missed all the first half , ended up in some boozer with sashes on the walls . Glad we won but gutted to miss it live , had a £5 on Mcintyre to score first at 33-1 . Did manage to kiss the cup when budgie ran up to the East terracing with it later

2007 first ( only) time i stood at Hampden and seen us lift a cup , what made it even more special was having my son beside me . The rendition of sunshine on leith will stay with me till the day i die . 2007 wins it hands down for me .

Ggtth

You must have had a better bookie than me.
I had a fiver on Tommy McIntyre but only got 22/1z
He had taken a penalty the week before and the bookies hadn't cottoned on. Still remember Mickey's through ball to Keith for the winner.
Actually bumped into the wee man today at Easter Road where he was doing something for Show Racism the Red Card. Still looks fit enough to play.

Miguel
19-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Was 7 for the 72 win, I just remember being taken to the North British for the cup to come out.

91 was it for me, cash at the gate if I remember and we cut it fine to get into the north terracing, I'm sure they closed some gates and people ended up in the Dunfermline end.

'07 was surreal, hibs don't win important games easily do they, so to know we had the cup and enjoy it before the final whistle was great.

Off topic, can any old(er) buds confirm whether the old fruit market next to the NB was a hole in the ground at the 72 win, or am I getting days mixed up. Remember it was a fairground at some time for a bit.

You might be right. They used Waverley Market as a fairground at Christmas (my Grandad worked there) and pretty sure that was late 1960s/early 70s. Might have been closed, but not sure it was demolished. Used it for Ideal Homes and car exhibitions too.

Just_Jimmy
20-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Too young to really remember 91. But 2007 was everything. Winning a national final with a team of hibs grown players 5-1. Four seasons in one day weather wise. Sunshine on leith. Greeting like a bairn whilst everyone beside you was doing the same and somehow it made you more of a man. Running to easter road for the cup. Running to make the last train. Getting up the next morning and realising it was real.

The fact people who saw it, hibs fans or not, still talk about Sunshine on Leith. Watching the goals, listening to Murph's interview. Just everything about that day was epic.

Keith_M
20-09-2013, 10:46 AM
'which win would you say was the biggest achievement'

Going by this criteria, in context, I'd have to go with '91.

The '72 team were most likely the best team of the three and defeated by far the best opposition. The 07 win had an incredible atmosphere and an almost total domination of a decent Killie side.

However, considering a lot of us thought we wouldn't even have a football team in the summer of 1990, to go to Hampden and win a trophy just over a year later was very emotional and a real 'against all odds' achievement.

Seveno
20-09-2013, 12:17 PM
72 for me. The team we had then was quite outstanding on their day and beat the greatest ever Celtic team. Pat Stanton ran the game with a display of total class and it meant so much to all Hibbies that he and O'Rourke were our goalscorers. It brought an end to a long lean spell and I wondered if I would ever see Hibs win a trophy. My Dad had passed away the year before and I shed a tear for the joy of Hibs winning and in memory of the man that raised me as a Hibby.