PDA

View Full Version : Screaming abuse at Hibs Players

RIP
17-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Does anyone believe there is a link between this known Easter Road phenomenon and our poor home form?

And if there is a link, what can we as a club do to get this under control?

I'm not talking about moaning - in recent years we have all needed to vent spleen at games :furious:

And before anyone starts - this is not an Uber Fan debate :greengrin

S4uzee
17-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Does anyone believe there is a link between this known Easter Road phenomenon and our poor home form?

I'm not talking about moaning - in recent years we have all needed to vent spleen at games :furious:

Was at the game on Sat and what a difference I felt it was, actually really enjoyed the game for a change with the fans getting right behind the team. Really liked the backing Zouby got when he was called from the bench that he was going on

Thecat23
17-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Most get behind the team, we just seem to play shocking football at home. Pretty simple really. There are guys who scream abuse but I'd defo say majority still get behind the team.

Paisley Hibby
17-09-2013, 06:37 PM

You're spot on mate. I think most of our best performances in the past few years have been away from home. Our worst have been at home and at Hampden. I think a part of the story is that our regular away support is usually brilliant and that helps the players. Away to Killie in the cup last season was a really good example. Brilliant atmosphere and great team performance that day. Meanwhile, at Easter Road the abuse dished out to certain players can sometimes be shocking. Sure we've all been fed up with our poor form but I don't see how having a go at our players does anything other than make things even worse.

marinello59
17-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Was at the game on Sat and what a difference I felt it was, actually really enjoyed the game for a change with the fans getting right behind the team. Really liked the backing Zouby got when he was called from the bench that he was going on

If the team had produced that 2nd half performance at home they would have got exactly the same backing. Zouby would have got a brilliant reception at ER too. It's utter nonsense to blame what must be one of the most loyal supports there is for the teams performances at home. That's down to the manager and players.

Simkin911
17-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Old guy in front of me was abusing Vine when we was warming up in front of us in the 2nd half on Saturday - despite us winning 2-1 at the time. Home and away we have our idiots like all other teams.

weonlywon6-2
17-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Old guy in front of me was abusing Vine when we was warming up in front of us in the 2nd half on Saturday - despite us winning 2-1 at the time. Home and away we have our idiots like all other teams.

Thats just crazy,i wish we could rid ourselves of these fans.,they do not help the cause no matter what way you look at it
How would the old guy like it if he was abused at his work if he was doing his best

lEXO
17-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Agreed. There was a guy behind me at Perth who abused Maybury, then Hanlon then someone else. I love away games but the home fans aren't the problem. It,s the pish that we are watching at home is the problem. Fenlon,s home win rate is about 25%. There in lies the problem at home, and don't forget at £400 a season ticket can you blame them? I don't.

rcarter1
17-09-2013, 07:43 PM

:brickwall

However, pro footballers should be trained and prepared for numpties.

marinello59
17-09-2013, 07:48 PM

Exactly. We will have the same proportion of nutters in the home and away support .

malagahibby
17-09-2013, 07:49 PM
I kid you not-I sit in the east and there are 3 guys who come every week,clap everytime a hibs player does something wrong,hurl abuse right left and centre at the players.Pat Fenlon gets it in the neck for 90 mins and a few weeks ago screamed at the music getting played at half time (the old there is a bonnie fitba team song)saying its too old and out of date.
They are getting so close to a good pasting!:aok:

Pretty Boy
17-09-2013, 07:49 PM
The abuse at ER is no worse than any other fans give their team when they aren't performing well, especially over a long period.

Most of the booing etc i hear at ER is reserved for half time and full time. People letting their feelings be known at those times has been going on as long as i can remember tbh.

There's always a few isolated idiots but we are a million miles away from a Blackburn type situation.

Heedersnvolleys
17-09-2013, 08:12 PM
If the team had produced that 2nd half performance at home they would havoont exactly the same backing. Zouby would have got a brilliant reception at ER too. It's utter nonsense to blame what must be one of the most loyal supports there is for the teams performances at home. That's down to the manager and players.

This.... All the team and/or Pat need is to have the bottle to play like they did in the second half on Saturday from the start at ER and they will get all the support they need and more. I don't know if it is extra drink on away days that people think there is less abuse hurrled at the players but I heard my fair share at Nelson at there goal and at one ooint where Hanlon got too easily knocked of the ball by May. Rightly so to a point IMO

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2013, 08:24 PM
In a world of football numpties there is only one solution -Cantona. Swift, to the point, committed. Albeit it was an opposition fan but if "home" fans abuse players as the opposition would then what can you do?

"Abusing" your own players crosses the line. I can understand expressing displeasure/booing at the end of the Match however but that can be done without abuse.

We have a young team and it is the abuse of the younger players that i find unjustifiable. I stuck up for Handling once and got called an "inbred" and a "******" for my troubles amongst other inane crap on twitter from a Hibs fan! I just can't fathom the mentality of folks that partake in that crap.

I don't buy all this we pay their wages can say what we want its just a cop out - does a boss have the right just because he employed you? To abuse someone is never a "right" (it's a privilege ;)) it's a wrong it they're a Hibby.

Hedlund12
17-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Couldn't agree more whilst it wasn't world class football ...there was a great improvement in form... for the first time in a long time I left a match in a really good mood. One the subject of the ones hurling abuse...don't think it would matter to these types if we were seeing outstanding football at ER...they'd still find some excuse to moan and winge about!

Jonnyboy
17-09-2013, 08:59 PM

Do you mean like you did to Spoony one time? :wink:

Just Alf
17-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I've mentioned this before... In a radio interview Terry Butcher said our fans actually gave his boys an edge..... Go figure... :-(

Up The Bracket
17-09-2013, 09:10 PM
It's definitely no co-incidence that we're picking up most of our points away from home, it was exactly the same in the 2011/12 season.

marinello59
17-09-2013, 09:17 PM
It's definitely no co-incidence that we're picking up most of our points away from home, it was exactly the same in the 2011/12 season.

So is it a case of thanking the away fans or blaming the home fans?

Frogga
17-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't think our fans are terrible but at the same time I don't see how screaming abuse at your own players helps anyone. You are basically shooting yourself and your fellow fans in the foot as it generally hinders the team. If the team can go out with the knowledge that the fans are right behind them then they will likely play with a lot more confidence and freedom.

down-the-slope
17-09-2013, 10:47 PM
One advantage that should be obvious - but stood out in Perth - is that generally away the support is in one area and so the signing & atmosphere is concentrated. Even although there are 'moaners' they are more difficult to here (unless right near)..

At ER the support is spread and atmosphere diluted - wide areas and more quiet areas where the 'moaners' are heard more easily from further and I believe carries onto pitch more easily

Somehow we need to get the support at ER more concentrated and nearer pitch even if it means closing areas for cat B games.....

And get Safe Standing up and running

TheFamous1875
17-09-2013, 11:27 PM
One advantage that should be obvious - but stood out in Perth - is that generally away the support is in one area and so the signing & atmosphere is concentrated. Even although there are 'moaners' they are more difficult to here (unless right near)..

At ER the support is spread and atmosphere diluted - wide areas and more quiet areas where the 'moaners' are heard more easily from further and I believe carries onto pitch more easily

Somehow we need to get the support at ER more concentrated and nearer pitch even if it means closing areas for cat B games.....

And get Safe Standing up and running

This.

Also, the Malmo incident has paid dividends towards this problem. We all turned up in our numbers, the non believers included (think of the many more who didn't!), and I think this home torture is a direct consequence of what happened that day. And still, there's no evidence of any change yet from the team (at least not sustained at this point).

I really do think the transformation of the lower Famous Five stand into a singing section (especially a standing one) would be a masterstroke in tackling the unforgiving atmosphere up stadium serves up to the players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SunshineOnLeith
17-09-2013, 11:34 PM
I was in the home end on Saturday and the only vitriol from the stands was addressed towards the referee, and a couple of Hibs players. Couple of incidents stick out where, in the home end at Easter Rd, you'd have heard people screaming abuse at the player involved until they were red in the face, with such venom you'd think said player had ****ged their wife.

1) Hasselbaink in the first half went on a bit of a run and then chose entirely the wrong option, and executed that option badly, so as to give possession back to us. Shouts of "hard lines wee man", "stick in" etc, no calling him a useless pr*ck and the like.

2) Wotherspoon's rubbish cross with the last kick of the game, if he'd done that in Hibs colours I hate to think what the reaction would have been like.

So, to answer the OP: Yes, I think there's a problem at Easter Rd. No, I don't have any ideas to fix it, unfortunately. Even when we were winning games in the first half of last season the screamers will still there.

Edit to add a bit re: standing in the FF lower, as I see that's raised it's head again.

Most (all?) of the posters I've ever seen calling for this don't currently sit/stand in Section 43, or are active in Sect43 etc. Therefore it seems like they're essentially telling a group of people to move. The people in Section 43 have chosen it as the area of the ground from which they like to watch football matches, so unless those people decide to move to the FF lower of their own volition then you can't just 'move the singing section'. I don't sit/stand in S43 at Easter Rd myself, but it's up to those guys where in the stadium they go.

SaulGoodman
18-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Edit to add a bit re: standing in the FF lower, as I see that's raised it's head again.

Most (all?) of the posters I've ever seen calling for this don't currently sit/stand in Section 43, or are active in Sect43 etc. Therefore it seems like they're essentially telling a group of people to move. The people in Section 43 have chosen it as the area of the ground from which they like to watch football matches, so unless those people decide to move to the FF lower of their own volition then you can't just 'move the singing section'. I don't sit/stand in S43 at Easter Rd myself, but it's up to those guys where in the stadium they go.

S43 isn't moving, it's a section of the stand, it can't move. Likewise no one is telling anyone there to move.

People want another section, for standing.

MB62
18-09-2013, 09:30 AM
This is a topic that continually gets raised 4 or 5 times a season, EVERY season. TBH, whilst I hear the odd numpty going mental about a particular player, I can't say I have witnessed many fans abusing our own players. I wonder if we are getting a bit mixed up with fans commenting aloud when a pass goes astray or a shot goes miles wide or tackle missed etc, etc, e.g. 'FFS Lewis, pass it to somebody in yer ain team son' (just an example of a comment, not necessarily directed at Lewis). That's a comment out of frustration and not abuse IMO and is just run of the mill stuff at football. Abuse to me is screaming at players every time they touch the ball, regardless of what they do with it, somebody taking a complete dislike to a player and who can't wait to get on his back, but as mentioned, whilst I know this happens, these numpties are few and far between.
Football is not an exact science and players misplace passes, miss open goals or tackles and goalies drop crosses etc. If a player is continually making mistakes, then it's up to the manager to give him the hook. I reckon 99.9% of fans that go to the games go there to support their team and we're no different. Watching Hibs of late has been murder but I don't abuse players, I certainly let of steam in frustration at times but never consider it abuse. I still feel we could be on the verge of putting together a very good run and playing some good football with the players we have, then we can ALL SUPPORT the players, fingers crossed.

Keith_M
18-09-2013, 09:44 AM
When I had a Season Ticket in the FF Lower (Section 20), there were a couple of guys in there that everybody around called 'Stadtler and Waldorf'**. Their main purpose in going to games was to complain long and loud about everything and everybody. There was a youngish guy in the row behind them that used to sit there with his young son and scream the most foul mouthed abuse at the Hibs players.

When I moved to the East, we had two guys sat next to us that seemed to be Stadler and Waldorf from the FF, but 20 years younger. One in particular would act like a totally crazy person, once even challenging Hughes to a fight (from the safety of his seat, 20 rows back).

These kind of people seem to be found in any part of the stadium. They also appear to have some serious mental/emotional issues. I'd be happier if they just didn't turn up to games at all. I'm not sure why they do, unless it's the only place they feel they can let off steam because they're under the thumb at home or whatever.

** For our younger readers, that have no idea who Stadtler and Waldorf are, watch THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njUwJUg1I)

exHIBition
18-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Home form has been dire. Shocking.

The natural reaction is to get angry and dish it out. Fair enough

Has it worked though? Has it changed the performance of the team?

Maybe try and get the whole house behind the team and lift them.

It is an option.

Hibercelona
18-09-2013, 11:05 AM
There's always going to be people there who shout torrid abuse for 90 minutes regardless of what players do. But I don't see how that makes ER any different than any other clubs home ground in Scotland.

Poor performances = frustration = abuse = more poor performances. It's a vicious cycle. Fans expect their team to perform at home and some react quite badly when it doesn't happen.

There's never any justification for personal abuse towards any player. But what players can expect at ER, they can expect at any other ground across the country.

Paisley Hibby
18-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I was in the home end on Saturday and the only vitriol from the stands was addressed towards the referee, and a couple of Hibs players. Couple of incidents stick out where, in the home end at Easter Rd, you'd have heard people screaming abuse at the player involved until they were red in the face, with such venom you'd think said player had ****ged their wife.

1) Hasselbaink in the first half went on a bit of a run and then chose entirely the wrong option, and executed that option badly, so as to give possession back to us. Shouts of "hard lines wee man", "stick in" etc, no calling him a useless pr*ck and the like.

2) Wotherspoon's rubbish cross with the last kick of the game, if he'd done that in Hibs colours I hate to think what the reaction would have been like.

So, to answer the OP: Yes, I think there's a problem at Easter Rd. No, I don't have any ideas to fix it, unfortunately. Even when we were winning games in the first half of last season the screamers will still there.

Meanwhile in the Hibs end on Saturday, during the second half we had a fair few hurling abuse at Collins. OK, he was not having his best game but he was trying. Also, we were probably playing the best we have all season. I just don't get these guys. Why travel all the way to Perth, pay to get in and then do that?

As for ER, like others I do feel the singing section is in the wrong part of the stadium. Our old tradition of playing "down the slope" in the second half would, I think, be enhanced if we were playing towards a noisy "ultras" section behind the goals in the FF.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2013, 11:15 AM
This has come about because of years of underachievement, and no surprise to me. When you keep being told we are the best run club bar the smellies, and you see manager after manager bring in player after player yet nothing happens and most weeks you leave thinking that bored me ****less, is it any wonder folk are venting their displeasure?

Being told to be patient only works for so long.

JimBHibees
18-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Home form has been dire. Shocking.

The natural reaction is to get angry and dish it out. Fair enough

Has it worked though? Has it changed the performance of the team?

Maybe try and get the whole house behind the team and lift them.

It is an option.

I am not sure it is IMO the loudest most abusive are very much in the minority and it is probably up to other fans to confront their opinion a bit more than happens. It is in the main though up to the players to play more attractively and get the majority behind the team and supporting them.

Argylehibby
18-09-2013, 11:26 AM
:brickwall

However, pro footballers should be trained and prepared for numpties.

Pity we couldn't train the fans to do their bit and support the team, all of it, not just a few of them. I find it incredible when reading these threads which as someone says happens 4 or 5 times a year and somone comes on saying the players "should" be able to take the criticism yet dont seem to understand the concept that supporters "should" support and encourage the team. If people want the players to do what they should then the support should do what they're supposed to do too.

Collins was getting plenty of abuse on saturday, Fenlon was screamed at as soon as they scored. Guy wanted him to be more attacking, we had 2 strikers on the pitch but that had seemingly gone unnoticed and the comment about Spoony on this thread I reckon is spot on.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Missed the comment on Spoony (think it was the last kick of the ball comment from memory?) was it that he got more abuse as a Hibs player than he did as a St J's? Quite staggering.

Argylehibby
18-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Missed the comment on Spoony (think it was the last kick of the ball comment from memory?) was it that he got more abuse as a Hibs player than he did as a St J's? Quite staggering.

Post #23 on this thread.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Post #23 on this thread.
Tknew I'd seen it but couldn't find it again.

basehibby
18-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Football crowds in general represent a broad cross section of society and inevitably, that cross section will always include a fair number of ****ing idiots with mouths a lot bigger than their brains. This phenomena is not peculiar to Hibs though, and it should not be used as an excuse for the team as a whole underperforming.

There may be a case for certain individual players getting spooked though, whereby idiot A decides it will improve the player's performance if he repeatedly hollers at great volume about his shortcomings and sheep/idiots B, C & D decide they'll look like sage comentators of the game if they follow suit. This sort of behaviour has directly and negatively affected the performances of various players down the years. But even then, it's not peculiar to Hibs - the vast majority of our fans are very supportive and will happilly get right behind the team.

Of course, it's fair to say they sometimes need a fire lit under their erses to get them on their feet and enthused, but that's the players' job isn't it?!?

Viva_Palmeiras
18-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Maybe we could put the rogues in a specific section behind the goals - the opposition goals - then you'd hardly be able to tell the difference:greengrin

Keith_M
18-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I remember reading that Jackie MacNamara had a torrid time when he first arrived at Hibs from the fans in 1976. He had the misfortune to come to Hibs in a player transfer that took Stanton to Celtic Park, so that hardly put him in the good books of the Hibs fans for a start.

However, he said he especially had trouble winning over the supporters in the old North Stand, as it was called then (North Wing of the Main Stand). They apparently booed his every move for quite a while. Just goes to show it's nothing new and the fans can be won over, as Jackie Mac did.

Keith_M
18-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Maybe we could put the rogues in a specific section behind the goals - the opposition goals - then you'd hardly be able to tell the difference:greengrin

There's only 3,900 seats in the South Stand, it'd never be enough

:wink:

bigwheel
18-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I think there is a harshness and a consistency of criticism that has emerged over the last 4 years or so at ER which stands out from almost all other clubs. It's undoubtedly linked to underachievement and frsutration, but it has created a negativity perhaps second to none im my experience.

In the games I watch down south, or overseas, there is nothing like the lack of support that I witness regulalrly at ER. I've often found English crowds much more resilient than scottish crowds in general. At our place, It's not uncommon to hear criticism within the first few minutes of a game, or even before kick off on a few occasions.

And there seems to be a mindset of some people to leave the game when the second goal goes against us, regardless of the time. This is a newer trend than I had noticed before.

There is a counter to that in that sometimes the support stands up and brings support beyond expectation. The Killie game is the cup was even more than I expected, and the togetherness at the cup final showed some steel in my eyes.

The team can change this a lot through results of course, but I don't feel the negative tone in the crowd , when things are going bad, helps them.

I do think it is worse than the norm in our league.

Up The Bracket
18-09-2013, 05:35 PM
So is it a case of thanking the away fans or blaming the home fans?

Bit of both really

--------
18-09-2013, 08:19 PM

:agree: It's always been a problem in my time, but IMO it's much worse now.

I remember the Motherwell match at ER years ago when Alen Orman suffered a seizure just before kick-off and had to be helped off and subbed. I was in the shed with my son and there were guys around me applauding and yelling abuse at him as he left the field. Go figure that sort of mentality, and ask if any other support would have done the same?

To my shame, I've been guilty of this myself at times - this sort of abuse is almost contagious, I think. (That's my excuse, anyway!) But it does no good at all IMO; it simply poisons the home-game atmosphere and makes it even more difficult for a team that's struggling for form to relax and play to their best.

The abuse that Alan Maybury has had to put up with from time to time beggars belief - just because he once played for Hearts. And Pat may say that it doesn't affect him, but it surely has to - how can you give your best if some Foghorn Leghorn four rows back from the techie area abuses and insults you throughout the game?

Frogga
19-09-2013, 01:30 PM
:agree: It's always been a problem in my time, but IMO it's much worse now.

I remember the Motherwell match at ER years ago when Alen Orman suffered a seizure just before kick-off and had to be helped off and subbed. I was in the shed with my son and there were guys around me applauding and yelling abuse at him as he left the field. Go figure that sort of mentality, and ask if any other support would have done the same?

To my shame, I've been guilty of this myself at times - this sort of abuse is almost contagious, I think. (That's my excuse, anyway!) But it does no good at all IMO; it simply poisons the home-game atmosphere and makes it even more difficult for a team that's struggling for form to relax and play to their best.

The abuse that Alan Maybury has had to put up with from time to time beggars belief - just because he once played for Hearts. And Pat may say that it doesn't affect him, but it surely has to - how can you give your best if some Foghorn Leghorn four rows back from the techie area abuses and insults you throughout the game?

Exactly. I was on a guided tour the other night and the guide pointed out that the banning of public hangings came about around the same time as the rise of professional football (1860s). Coincidence? Or are football 'fans' the descendants of the 'mob'?

--------
19-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Exactly. I was on a guided tour the other night and the guide pointed out that the banning of public hangings came about around the same time as the rise of professional football (1860s). Coincidence? Or are football 'fans' the descendants of the 'mob'?

You might very well say that.

That coincidence of events hadn't occurred to me, but now you come to think of it ....

That still doesn't explain why Hibs seem to have much more than their fair share of ranting screaming abusive morons in their support.

And I MEAN 'morons'. The people in question have absolutely no idea of football at all.

Or even of common decency.

RIP
26-09-2013, 03:34 PM
There's an increased focus on this disease South of the Border

Here's an article about Newcastle FC and how they are cracking down on Terracing Abuse

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/focus-bid-tackle-football-terrace-1397595

I have been guilty myself so won't be casting the first stone but the other impact it has is to spoil the match for others. When these loudmouths crack on it's not just the players who hear the abuse..................it's the whole section of the stadium. As a paying customer do I really have to put up with a continuous pile of keech from some muppet with no self-control?

I wonder if Hibs would consider employing crowd control stewards like they have in concerts rather than the sleeping policemen we currently have in the stadium?

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2013, 03:40 PM
While its not right anyone should abuse their own team or players, i'm beginning to think we are making this into a much bigger problem that it actually is.

oconnors_strip
26-09-2013, 03:52 PM
There's an increased focus on this disease South of the Border

Here's an article about Newcastle FC and how they are cracking down on Terracing Abuse

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/focus-bid-tackle-football-terrace-1397595

I have been guilty myself so won't be casting the first stone but the other impact it has is to spoil the match for others. When these loudmouths crack on it's not just the players who hear the abuse..................it's the whole section of the stadium. As a paying customer do I really have to put up with a continuous pile of keech from some muppet with no self-control?

I wonder if Hibs would consider employing crowd control stewards like they have in concerts rather than the sleeping policemen we currently have in the stadium?

You are having a laugh? Crowd control stewards??!! Why don't you approach the people yourself and tell them to support the team. hearing iit from a fellow Hibee is better than someone with a yellow coat on.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-09-2013, 04:22 PM
You are having a laugh? Crowd control stewards??!! Why don't you approach the people yourself and tell them to support the team. hearing iit from a fellow Hibee is better than someone with a yellow coat on.

"Hibby1: So what happened to big Rab?
Hibby2: He was taken away by two guys in yellow coats...
Hibby1: Muppet..." ;)

fwiw I don't think Gogs himself was proposing he was just looking at the lengths Newcastle have gone to and wondered if there would come a point where Hibs could see the adopt something similar.

Im sure Gogs has been on here before and recounted where he did have a word in the shell-like of a dude who iirc was making comments bordering/crossing the line of racism (maybe my mistook tho). But from having met Gogs I'd imagine (depending on circumstances) he'd be more that willing to have a word.

RIP
26-09-2013, 04:37 PM

As you know Nikki, all my posts are indeed tongue in cheek - it's what a messageboard is for init? :greengrin

I think the idea that your average steward is trained to exercise control over crowd behaviour is indeed laughable. Mind you it works at concerts and night clubs where all you need is a quiet word. Less confrontational than a punter trying to approach the same person

As for having a word myself.............here's what happened the last time I tried it :take that
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/video-watch-football-fans-fighting-1833296

And that was just at my son's football match