PDA

View Full Version : Best defence since 2000 team. (so far)

DarrenSQH
17-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Through 6 games of the league season we have only conceded 5 goals which is the best total since we only conceded 1 goal in the first six in the 2000 season. (5-1 dundee game)

The defence looks alot more solid than before and if it keeps up then I wouldnt be surprised if we have a good year. I know its early but im impressed so far.

Incredibly at this stage before we have let in 17 goals and 13 goals. (2002 and 2004)

previous goals against after 6 games.

2012- 8
2011- 9
2010- 10
2009- 6
2008- 7
2007- 6
2006- 6
2005- 6
2004- 13
2003- 9
2002- 17
2001- 11
2000- 1

Treadstone
17-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Nice stat but sample size is miniscule let's see after 10-15 games. Defence still has glaring flaws using the eye test lack of pace (and Nelson apart) attacking the ball.
Will be pleased if similar ratio can be maintained.

Hibercelona
17-09-2013, 09:39 AM
We seem to have an issue with scoring goals while maintaining clean sheets though. We're usually the first team to conceed as well, making it even harder for us to win games.

It would be good if we could pick up a 2 or 3-0 win this weekend. I think we have a great opportunity to do this against St Mirren.

hfc rd
17-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Quite surprised that in 2002, we conceded 17 goals when we still had Sauzee & Jack in the team.

Peevemor
17-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Quite surprised that in 2002, we conceded 17 goals when we still had Sauzee & Jack in the team.

Sauzée only started 11 games in all competitions in 2001/2002.

Hibbyradge
17-09-2013, 11:07 AM
It's a good statistic and one to be welcomed, but the trick is to be able to stop goals at the back whilst still being able to attack and score.

Of course, everyone knows that, but a look at the league table when Aberdeen won the league in 1980 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979%E2%80%9380_in_Scottish_football) shows this well.

Dundee United that year had a brilliant defence, they only conceded 30 goals, compared to Aberdeen's 36, but they ended up a distant 4th because they only scored 43 compared to Aberdeen's 68.

St Mirren, had the 4th worst goals against record, with a massive 49 lost, but actually finished above them.

Stats, eh!

I'm_cabbaged
17-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice stat but sample size is miniscule let's see after 10-15 games. Defence still has glaring flaws using the eye test lack of pace (and Nelson apart) attacking the ball.
Will be pleased if similar ratio can be maintained.

Pity he never attacked a crossed ball at the PBS :(

The Sea-gull
17-09-2013, 11:38 AM
2002. That was a Blobby year. I remember it well. We started off losing 2-1 to Aberdeen at a packed Easter Road on the opening day. Then we were pumped 5-1 (I know 5-1!) by them at Tynie followed by 4-1 beatings from Rangers and Dunfermline at ER in a matter of weeks.

Was a bizarre season as went something like losing 6 out of the first 7 games before winning 6 out of 7 to see us sitting 3rd or 4th by November/December time. In true Hibs style, form hit the buffers over the winter and we ended up bottom 6 but it was in that bottom 6 that a couple of young players by the names of Derek Riordan and Scott Brown were given some game time and got a few goals.

The start to that season makes Pat's start this time out seem like a title challenge!

Onceinawhile
17-09-2013, 12:06 PM
That 4-1 to dunfermline featured Whittaker in central midfield I'm sure. Was the first time they had won at ER for 40+ years too.

Keith_M
17-09-2013, 12:32 PM
I think once a team has played every other side both home and away, statistics are useful.

Until then, I don't really think so.

davidw
17-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Eh, take it we're ignoring Europe then? There's quite a lot I would have said about the defence against Malmo, but don't think "the best in 13 years" would have been one of them..

--------
17-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Eh, take it we're ignoring Europe then? There's quite a lot I would have said about the defence against Malmo, but don't think "the best in 13 years" would have been one of them..

To be fair, we weren't playing the back four that turned out in Perth, but it is a bit difficult to ignore two matches where we lost 9 goals and scored none.

:agree:

But maybe we could say that we're getting a wee bit better?

WestEndHibee
17-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Seeing as we haven't played Europe every year it seems acceptable to me? As much as it doesn't seem like it in all this (a little over the top) negativity, we have a solid defence compared with a lot of the previous seasons. Just look at the Dundee Utd game, they've shown that they can bang in goals yet we shut them out for most of the match.

Still it's a tiny sample size at the moment so there's a lot of time before we will really see. IMO there's definitely more promise from our defence than normal with hibs.

Part/Time Supporter
17-09-2013, 05:10 PM

True, but including that wouldn't really make the statistics comparable with previous seasons where Hibs didn't have European games.

Also worth noting that the 2009/10 team was very stingy until Christmas (best goals against in the league at that point) and then unbelievably leaky afterwards (5-1 at Perth, 4-1 at Hamilton, 6-6 and so on).

The Modfather
17-09-2013, 06:06 PM
That 4-1 to dunfermline featured Whittaker in central midfield I'm sure. Was the first time they had won at ER for 40+ years too.

Was that the game where Brewster scored a screamer at the famous 5 end from about 30 yards?

They gubbed us a couple of times at ER in that period. I remember the night game as I left early. I was a young 'un at the time and still living at home. Didn't realise until I got home that I didn't have my keys on me and no one was in. Not one if my favourite nights. Still maintain it was more enjoyable sitting outside my front door waiting for someone to come home than watching Dunfermline horse us though! ;)

eastterrace
17-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Seeing as we haven't played Europe every year it seems acceptable to me? As much as it doesn't seem like it in all this (a little over the top) negativity, we have a solid defence compared with a lot of the previous seasons. Just look at the Dundee Utd game, they've shown that they can bang in goals yet we shut them out for most of the match.

Still it's a tiny sample size at the moment so there's a lot of time before we will really see. IMO there's definitely more promise from our defence than normal with hibs.

yes we did keep them to one goal , but we should have been 3 down at half time and goodwillie missed a sitter after the break so statistics are good but they can hide a few things.

hibbybrian
17-09-2013, 06:38 PM
IIRC a few years ago we were due to play Rankers sometime in November/December and at that time we had either the best or 2nd best defensive stats and went on to lose 4-1 at ER and after this game, the defense collapsed for the rest of the season :rolleyes:

eastterrace
17-09-2013, 06:42 PM
IIRC a few years ago we were due to play Rankers sometime in November/December and at that time we had either the best or 2nd best defensive stats and went on to lose 4-1 at ER and after this game, the defense collapsed for the rest of the season :rolleyes:

that was the game stokes scored after 12 seconds then big makalamba went awol, also sure we lost against hearts in the cup a few weeks later at easter road 2-0 then it was downhill from there, i dont think i went to another game after that and i had a season ticket but usuall hibs slump. wonder when this seasons slump will kick in or maybe just maybe weve had it already.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Whitty was chucked out on the left wing against Dunfermline the night we lost 4-1. I remember getting really wound up by a guy sitting behind me who was giving him a hard time the entire night. Claimed after 40 minutes that 'he should never wear a Hibs strip again'. Turned to him and told him that he had never played there in his life and to lay off him. Shows how quickly some fans will judge players despite knowing nothing about them

Beefster
17-09-2013, 07:22 PM
True, but including that wouldn't really make the statistics comparable with previous seasons where Hibs didn't have European games.

The stats in the OP don't take into account the teams played (we might have played Celtic and Rangers early on in previous seasons) so are pretty meaningless all round.

RyeSloan
17-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Think that might have been the season we had the best defensive record in the whole of the UK at that point....

Speedy
17-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Sauzée only started 11 games in all competitions in 2001/2002.

2002 would be 2002/2003

Sergey
17-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Think that might have been the season we had the best defensive record in the whole of the UK at that point....

While Collins was manager IIRC.

MagicSwirlingShip
17-09-2013, 08:25 PM
The standard of forwardline they are up against is probably the weakest its been since 2000 though so I wouldn't say it was a fair stat.:agree:

Congrats to the defence though, we definitely look more solid at the back recently.:aok:

rcarter1
17-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Whitty was chucked out on the left wing against Dunfermline the night we lost 4-1. I remember getting really wound up by a guy sitting behind me who was giving him a hard time the entire night. Claimed after 40 minutes that 'he should never wear a Hibs strip again'. Turned to him and told him that he had never played there in his life and to lay off him. Shows how quickly some fans will judge players despite knowing nothing about them

I remember some comments about Whittaker from this game too. And something similar about a 17 year old Fletch in another game. I really wish people were forced to place on their wall all the stupid comments they make. Abusing players is garbage at the best of times, but when its young players it really gets my goat. Placards and posters supporting players (as well as clapping, hollaring and cheering), could help remind them that the abuse is from a minority.

The bit in bold applies to players of all ages, and is also utterly unimaginative. Claros was rubbish - until he wasnt, Robertson - waste of space - until he wasnt.

Tyler Durden
17-09-2013, 09:45 PM
While Collins was manager IIRC.

Yogi's team.

Jonnyboy
17-09-2013, 09:52 PM
2002. That was a Blobby year. I remember it well. We started off losing 2-1 to Aberdeen at a packed Easter Road on the opening day. Then we were pumped 5-1 (I know 5-1!) by them at Tynie followed by 4-1 beatings from Rangers and Dunfermline at ER in a matter of weeks.

Was a bizarre season as went something like losing 6 out of the first 7 games before winning 6 out of 7 to see us sitting 3rd or 4th by November/December time. In true Hibs style, form hit the buffers over the winter and we ended up bottom 6 but it was in that bottom 6 that a couple of young players by the names of Derek Riordan and Scott Brown were given some game time and got a few goals.

The start to that season makes Pat's start this time out seem like a title challenge!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_season.php?from=10&competition=0&update=Update

Doesn't make the best of reading

My_Wife_Camille
17-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Yep, by Christmas Day 2009 we had only conceded 10 goals..:flag:

danhibees1875
17-09-2013, 11:03 PM

Think it was deep into December it happened. I've always considered the 15th second onwards in that game to be a massive turning point in our fortunes. I think before then we were doing brilliantly.

hibbysam
17-09-2013, 11:39 PM
The standard of forwardline they are up against is probably the weakest its been since 2000 though so I wouldn't say it was a fair stat.:agree:

Congrats to the defence though, we definitely look more solid at the back recently.:aok:

Really?

Boyd, goodwillie, GMS, Armstrong, McKay, not to mention celtics frontline which cost them millions!! There is a lot of attacking talent on the spl this season!

MagicSwirlingShip
18-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Really?

Boyd, goodwillie, GMS, Armstrong, McKay, not to mention celtics frontline which cost them millions!! There is a lot of attacking talent on the spl this season!

Agreed, they are good players listed above :agree:

Not close to the opposition forwards we've seen at Easter Road in previous years though. Boyd first time round, Hartson & Sutton, even guys like Caballero & Caniggia at Dundee. Could go on.......

basehibby
18-09-2013, 08:08 AM

:agree: Fair comment - it'll take a barrel load of clean sheets before anyone's allowed to live that one down!

Treadstone
18-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Really?

Of the players/team mentioned we have only played one game in opposition so far this season.