PDA

View Full Version : gym training

Allant1981
16-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Looking for a wee bit advice, up until recently all i done at the gym was cardio. Ive since had a programme made up to bulk up a bit and was wondering if there are any decent websites that will tell me what i should/shouldnt be eating

Haymaker
16-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Eat protein and vegetables. Avoid pasta, rice, potatoes, bread from mid afternoon.

Eat protein after training and if you fancy it a protein shake before bed is best. Oh and cut out the booze!

Works for me and most people I know.

Wembley67
16-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Eat protein and vegetables. Avoid pasta, rice, potatoes, bread from mid afternoon.

Eat protein after training and if you fancy it a protein shake before bed is best. Oh and cut out the booze!

Works for me and most people I know.

Bit of a myth there. Agreed, protein is a building block for muscle growth but complex carbs are also an essential part of the process, substitute your whites with browns and you will be on your way.

Avoiding carbs from mid afternoon is not necessary (in moderation).

Haymaker
16-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Bit of a myth there. Agreed, protein is a building block for muscle growth but complex carbs are also an essential part of the process, substitute your whites with browns and you will be on your way.

Avoiding carbs from mid afternoon is not necessary (in moderation).

Worked for most people I know. The reason I was given is pasta, rice etc takes a long time to break down and release. A football player for example would eat a lot of pasta/rice hours before a game as they release slowly.over time. Eating them past mid afternoon will see them released late when most people will not be training/using them up.

I will admit that I am no expert on the nutrition side but I have a lot of experience in the fitness field and that worked for me and a fair amount of people. Of course, no one person is the same as another so what I found worked might not work for others. I would say give it a go and see if it works.

Wembley67
16-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Worked for most people I know. The reason I was given is pasta, rice etc takes a long time to break down and release. A football player for example would eat a lot of pasta/rice hours before a game as they release slowly.over time. Eating them past mid afternoon will see them released late when most people will not be training/using them up.

I will admit that I am no expert on the nutrition side but I have a lot of experience in the fitness field and that worked for me and a fair amount of people. Of course, no one person is the same as another so what I found worked might not work for others. I would say give it a go and see if it works.

True, a lot of it is trial and error to see what suits your own body type. Wasted a lot of time on stuff over the years..basics are easy enough though.

nonshinyfinish
16-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Have you tried tins of spinach?

Haymaker
16-09-2013, 10:25 PM
True, a lot of it is trial and error to see what suits your own body type. Wasted a lot of time on stuff over the years..basics are easy enough though.

Yep, I tried loads of types of programs, finding the best for me is 45mins cardio and circuit weights.

Allant1981
17-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Cheers folks, im really a novice at this so any advice is appreciated, i used to just eat whatever i wanted as i knew id be burning it off at night but i want to do it right now

Matty_Jack04
17-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Cheers folks, im really a novice at this so any advice is appreciated, i used to just eat whatever i wanted as i knew id be burning it off at night but i want to do it right now

If its size your after 2g's of protein per KG of body weight

Hibrandenburg
17-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Have you tried tins of spinach?

:o)

HibbyAndy
20-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Wee bit off topic as i dont want to bulk up...Im quite a thin guy...Lucky in the sense that no matter what i eat i dont put on weight..Tho im a Postie so walk loads...But..In recent months i have noticed ive got a wee pot belly!!.. Now thats down to years of bevvy...kebabs...crisps...chocolate junk food etc...Now as off Monday im on detox for as long as a piece of string...gonna ditch junk food for fruit veg yoghurts etc and go for runs...Sick of feeling like my guts are churning. Is milk good for you ?... I hate milk but would drink it if its good for you..Tho i prefer lots of water...A few ingriedents as to what to buy would be helpful.

Haymaker
20-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Milk can contain a lot of saturated fat!

HibbyAndy
20-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Milk can contain a lot of saturated fat!

:aok: Ill stick to bottled water.

Haymaker
20-09-2013, 07:26 PM
:aok: Ill stick to bottled water.

Cant beat water, I started carrying a litre everywhere I go and I feel great for drinking more of it.

Holmesdale Hibs
20-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Try protein shakes. You can get low carb ones if you're bothered about putting on weight. Some of them taste ok and it's a lot less hassle than eating a chicken breast or tuna steak.

You can almost always get them half price in Holland and Barrett or sainsbury's.

Other advice would be keep of the booze and fatty foods like cheese, especially late at night. If you think something is unhealthy then it probably is. Easier said than done I know.

Agree with the poster earlier who said most things are ok in moderation. Also, carbs are fine, again within moderation, and I'd you're going to the gym regularly then you'll need some fuel.