PDA

View Full Version : Hibs' Golden Generation and their Comparison to Other Generations

TheFamous1875
16-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I just had a thought. I'm in my early 20s and the teams I have grown up with have went Wright, Jackson McGinley, Macallister - to Sauzee, Latapy and Miller - to Riordan, O'Connor and Brown and to Leigh Griffiths. This is an acute summation of the squads of my life and what stands out to me is the Golden Generation in comparison to others.
None of these other squads had quite the same influx of young players all of the same age at the same time flourish like what happened 9/8 years ago, and I thought it'd be interesting to try and figure out why that is, and see what other generations came close to that one in our history, have a look at why past and future generations maybe didn't have the same impact as the one we had when I was a teenager, and we could see which ones could've and why they didnae. A lot of it is down to luck probably, and from my infant point of view, I can only read of a team nurtured in the 60s that flourished in the 70s, as being the only team who achieved what the team of 2004-7 should have went on to do.

So aye, what do yous think? 'Cause I'd love to know why we don't do it again, and again and again!!

GGTTH

Pedantic_Hibee
16-09-2013, 07:49 PM
John Park I suspect.

eastterrace
16-09-2013, 08:34 PM
John Park I suspect.
dont think john park was about when marinello,cormack stanton were about.

Ray_
16-09-2013, 09:07 PM
dont think john park was about when marinello,cormack stanton were about.

To be fair, O'Rourke was the same time as Cormack & Stanton and Stein taking the Fletcher role, developing that bit later. Marinello came along with Blackley and soon afterwards, Brownlie & Cropley and other youngsters like Shades, Bremner & Nijinsky were bought in. After that, nothing close to them came through until John Collins and then most likely, Kenny Miller.

Green Cabbage 7
16-09-2013, 11:16 PM
I just had a thought. I'm in my early 20s and the teams I have grown up with have went Wright, Jackson McGinley, Macallister - to Sauzee, Latapy and Miller - to Riordan, O'Connor and Brown and to Leigh Griffiths. This is an acute summation of the squads of my life and what stands out to me is the Golden Generation in comparison to others.
None of these other squads had quite the same influx of young players all of the same age at the same time flourish like what happened 9/8 years ago, and I thought it'd be interesting to try and figure out why that is, and see what other generations came close to that one in our history, have a look at why past and future generations maybe didn't have the same impact as the one we had when I was a teenager, and we could see which ones could've and why they didnae. A lot of it is down to luck probably, and from my infant point of view, I can only read of a team nurtured in the 60s that flourished in the 70s, as being the only team who achieved what the team of 2004-7 should have went on to do.

So aye, what do yous think? 'Cause I'd love to know why we don't do it again, and again and again!!

GGTTH

Maybe these young boys were there at the early stages when sauzee was around, maybe sauzee gave them advice and told them to believe they were as good as there opponent, if not better, just a thought

snooky
16-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Golden generations are like the perfect storm. Everything comes together at once - by chance.
IMO :wink:

Ozyhibby
16-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Lots of game time at an early age. Managers that trusted them, both Mowbray and Williamson.

lucky
17-09-2013, 05:07 AM
I don't believe we have a ''Golden Generation'' since the FF, I know not all came through the ranks, but the team of the early 70s and 2005/6 only won a league cup. Hardly golden. Because we have been starved of decent players and a winning team we've lauded Mowbray's team to higher level than they really deserve. That being said I would take them back now, its seems a lifetime ago that we had a free flowing attacking football.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-09-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't believe we have a ''Golden Generation'' since the FF, I know not all came through the ranks, but the team of the early 70s and 2005/6 only won a league cup. Hardly golden. Because we have been starved of decent players and a winning team we've lauded Mowbray's team to higher level than they really deserve. That being said I would take them back now, its seems a lifetime ago that we had a free flowing attacking football.

The Goalden generation then?

I'm waiting on the Golden Wonder generation ;)

Talent, man-management and financial circumstances combined to provide opportunities for the raw talent at Hibs. Dire form and a managerial merri-go-round conspired to disrupt the perceived conveyer belt (the myth or reality) plus the enticement of John Park to Celtic.

Ray_
17-09-2013, 08:48 AM

From witnessing some of the dire fare over the last five years, the team from the early seventies was truly golden, as it was laden with talent, entertainment, goals & precious memories.

Yes the team could and should have won more, but that Celtic team was the best I've ever seen in Scotland & lets not forget the European games, when Hibs were rated to be one of the Continents top clubs. Just for the modern equivalent, a lot of the tornadoes played when we scored nine against Malmo over the two legs, what a turnaround to today.

What about the unforgettable Dryborough Cup games that you have so readily discarded? The Semi & Final in 1972 are well within my top ten games, it was a competition that was taken seriously in its day and it was serious enough to bring a the this quote from a well known Sunday Newspaper, after the final, "I never thought there was any team in the world that could score five against the Scottish Champions", you wouldn't get a quote like that from a meaningless pre-season game and the team sheets reflected the importance the clubs put on winning it.

Persevere80
17-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Ahh, the golden generation. Happy days........

BSEJVT
18-09-2013, 05:19 AM
From witnessing some of the dire fare over the last five years, the team from the early seventies was truly golden, as it was laden with talent, entertainment, goals & precious memories.

Yes the team could and should have won more, but that Celtic team was the best I've ever seen in Scotland & lets not forget the European games, when Hibs were rated to be one of the Continents top clubs. Just for the modern equivalent, a lot of the tornadoes played when we scored nine against Malmo over the two legs, what a turnaround to today.

What about the unforgettable Dryborough Cup games that you have so readily discarded? The Semi & Final in 1972 are well within my top ten games, it was a competition that was taken seriously in its day and it was serious enough to bring a the this quote from a well known Sunday Newspaper, after the final, "I never thought there was any team in the world that could score five against the Scottish Champions", you wouldn't get a quote like that from a meaningless pre-season game and the team sheets reflected the importance the clubs put on winning it.

Agree with all of that, but would add that the Hibs side of that time also had to contend with and beat regularly a Rangers side not that long removed from winning a European trophy and with most of the personnel that did it still at Ibrox.

It was an absolute privilege to watch that Hibs team and maybe the fact that I was a young boy doing so made it all the more magical as I was utterly infatuated by Hibs at that time and remembering how good that team was has seen me through some dark footballing times since in the faint hope that we could be anything approaching that good again.

Ray_
18-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Agree with all of that, but would add that the Hibs side of that time also had to contend with and beat regularly a Rangers side not that long removed from winning a European trophy and with most of the personnel that did it still at Ibrox.

It was an absolute privilege to watch that Hibs team and maybe the fact that I was a young boy doing so made it all the more magical as I was utterly infatuated by Hibs at that time and remembering how good that team was has seen me through some dark footballing times since in the faint hope that we could be anything approaching that good again.

We competed with and beat the same Rangers side that won the European Trophy. The Dryborough Cup Cup Semi I mentioned saw us win 3-0 and it was between 2-3 months after Rangers had won the Cup Winners Cup.

Hibs played and beat Rangers twice in the month leading up to Rangers winning that trophy, we beat them 2-0 in the Scottish Cup Semi replay [which was around the same time they beat Bayern Munich 2-0 at Ibrox] and then beat them 2-1 at Ibrox in a league game, which may well have been Joe Baker & Bertie Auld's last game for the club, as Turnbull had rested regular starters for the pending cup final.

To give some insight in to Hibs achievement's over Rangers, here is the Bayern team that Ranger beat in the Semi 2-0 at Ibrox after the 1-1 draw in Germany.

Sepp Maier
Franz Beckenbauer
Johnny Hansen
Herwart Koppenhöfer
Georg Schwarzenbeck
Edgar Schneider
Paul Breitner
Uli Hoeness
Franz Roth
Rainer Zobel
Gerd Müller

Iggy Pope
18-09-2013, 10:50 PM

GGTTH

The 07 generation won the same as the 91 vintage and the 72 vintage. There is another thread elsewhere.
The Tornadoes were a class apart from any Hibs side I ever witnessed in my paltry 42 years purgatory. In saying that, Mickey Weir, Gordon Hunter and Willie Miller surely deserve Golden Generation status as they were home grown talent with the same medal in the cabinet.

Iggy Pope
18-09-2013, 10:55 PM
We competed with and beat the same Rangers side that won the European Trophy. The Dryborough Cup Cup Semi I mentioned saw us win 3-0 and it was between 2-3 months after Rangers had won the Cup Winners Cup.

Hibs played and beat Rangers twice in the month leading up to Rangers winning that trophy, we beat them 2-0 in the Scottish Cup Semi replay [which was around the same time they beat Bayern Munich 2-0 at Ibrox] and then beat them 2-1 at Ibrox in a league game, which may well have been Joe Baker & Bertie Auld's last game for the club, as Turnbull had rested regular starters for the pending cup final.

To give some insight in to Hibs achievement's over Rangers, here is the Bayern team that Ranger beat in the Semi 2-0 at Ibrox after the 1-1 draw in Germany.

Sepp Maier
Franz Beckenbauer
Johnny Hansen
Herwart Koppenhöfer
Georg Schwarzenbeck
Edgar Schneider
Paul Breitner
Uli Hoeness
Franz Roth
Rainer Zobel
Gerd Müller

Like you, I get emotional and downright protective of that side we had.
How sad is it though, that we are drawing parallels with what we did to the Huns, rather than what WE might have did to Bayern Munich in the ECWC final.
****, we haven't have done some under achieving in our time.

lEXO
19-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Lets not forget about the guys from the 80,s. They may not be regarded as a golden generation but a good few players and servants to Hibs. John Collins, Mickey Weir, Gordon Hunter and Pat Mcginlay. 3 we got good money for and 2 that came back. Great servants and all good Hibby,s.

Ray_
19-09-2013, 08:06 AM
The 07 generation won the same as the 91 vintage and the 72 vintage. There is another thread elsewhere.
The Tornadoes were a class apart from any Hibs side I ever witnessed in my paltry 42 years purgatory. In saying that, Mickey Weir, Gordon Hunter and Willie Miller surely deserve Golden Generation status as they were home grown talent with the same medal in the cabinet.

Totally agree that they were great for Hibs, however, out of the team that played during the 72-3 season, Herriot had played top flight in England & Bobby Smith, Alex Cropley, John Brownlie, John Blackley and Des Bremner went on to play in England' top flight, at a time their clubs dominated in Europe.

Hibs also turned down several offers that would have had Pat Stanton & Arthur Duncan join them in the top division down south and if we can add that eight of that squad gained full Scottish International honours, seven of them while they were still at Hibs.

I would say that if you were unfortunate to have not seen the TT or not at an age to fully appreciate them, that record sets them apart from the players you mentioned. Outside TM's team, from all of the home grown talent since the tornadoes, only Kenny Miller & John Collins have matched any of their counterparts from the early seventies.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Totally agree that they were great for Hibs, however, out of the team that played during the 72-3 season, Herriot had played top flight in England & Bobby Smith, Alex Cropley, John Brownlie, John Blackley and Des Bremner went on to play in England' top flight, at a time their clubs dominated in Europe.

Hibs also turned down several offers that would have had Pat Stanton & Arthur Duncan join them in the top division down south and if we can add that eight of that squad gained full Scottish International honours, seven of them while they were still at Hibs.

I would say that if you were unfortunate to have not seen the TT or not at an age to fully appreciate them, that record sets them apart from the players you mentioned. Outside TM's team, from all of the home grown talent since the tornadoes, only Kenny Miller & John Collins have matched any of their counterparts from the early seventies.

I was lucky enough to have witnessed them and they made me the Hibby I am. I shared a discussion about them with an ageing Sporting Lisbon fan on the Lisbon metro on Tuesday night!!

My post was leaning more towards the fostering of youth and this 'golden generation
' tag in relation to actually winning anything.
in addition to the three I mentioned from 91, you could add Paul Kane and also John Collins, who went on to do wonderful things in his career and were brought through the ranks.
Bobby Smith and Des Bremner were not quite a part of that 72 medal winning side and Des presumably started his youth days in the Highland league.

Turnbulls first side was without doubt the best since the 5. but they under achieved. Celtic were indeed the best, but they never won the treble every year and neither did the Huns. We only managed to get in their way once.
Just as the 91 side did and just as the 04-07 side did. The 91 side though, seldom gets the credit it deserves and I say that without disparaging the Tornadoes.

Ray_
19-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I was lucky enough to have witnessed them and they made me the Hibby I am. I shared a discussion about them with an ageing Sporting Lisbon fan on the Lisbon metro on Tuesday night!!

My post was leaning more towards the fostering of youth and this 'golden generation
' tag in relation to actually winning anything.
in addition to the three I mentioned from 91, you could add Paul Kane and also John Collins, who went on to do wonderful things in his career and were brought through the ranks.
Bobby Smith and Des Bremner were not quite a part of that 72 medal winning side and Des presumably started his youth days in the Highland league.

Turnbulls first side was without doubt the best since the 5. but they under achieved. Celtic were indeed the best, but they never won the treble every year and neither did the Huns. We only managed to get in their way once.
Just as the 91 side did and just as the 04-07 side did. The 91 side though, seldom gets the credit it deserves and I say that without disparaging the Tornadoes.

The 91 team was a brilliant achievement considering where Hibs were & the 2007 was reward for the previous three years, where we played some great stuff. After the 72 league cup final Hibs went on retain the Dryborough Cup and to achieve league positions of 3rd 2nd & 2nd & had notable league & European performances which enhanced the clubs reputation, that sets them apart from the two other cup winning teams IMHO.

Des Bremner signed for Hibs, from Deveronvale as a youth player in 1971, he went professional late in 72 and played as a regular from early January 1973, after JB broke his leg, Bobby Smith, Tony Higgins & Jim McArthur also played a part in the team that ended that season in third spot.

Iggy Pope
19-09-2013, 10:02 PM
The 91 team was a brilliant achievement considering where Hibs were & the 2007 was reward for the previous three years, where we played some great stuff. After the 72 league cup final Hibs went on retain the Dryborough Cup and to achieve league positions of 3rd 2nd & 2nd & had notable league & European performances which enhanced the clubs reputation, that sets them apart from the two other cup winning teams IMHO.

Des Bremner signed for Hibs, from Deveronvale as a youth player in 1971, he went professional late in 72 and played as a regular from early January 1973, after JB broke his leg, Bobby Smith, Tony Higgins & Jim McArthur also played a part in the team that ended that season in third spot.

Without wanting to disagree or deviate too far from the thread, Des Bremner was in his 20s by 1972.
I think the thread initiated with the OP seeking out these cherished Golden Generations we have so bloody often. The 72-3 team would top any of them, obviously. But we signed over half that iconic 11.
Brownlie and Blackley may or may not have started out in Junior football(?). The holy trinity of Paddy, Jimmy and Alex Cropley were no doubt our own and the best natural born Hibbies in that great side into the bargain.

I loved all of them, but as far as Golden Generations go, I think we have had three in my limited 51 years on the coil and as I said, 42 of them have been spent in hard labour.

Jonnyboy
19-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Without wanting to disagree or deviate too far from the thread, Des Bremner was in his 20s by 1972.
I think the thread initiated with the OP seeking out these cherished Golden Generations we have so bloody often. The 72-3 team would top any of them, obviously. But we signed over half that iconic 11.
Brownlie and Blackley may or may not have started out in Junior football(?). The holy trinity of Paddy, Jimmy and Alex Cropley were no doubt our own and the best natural born Hibbies in that great side into the bargain.

I loved all of them, but as far as Golden Generations go, I think we have had three in my limited 51 years on the coil and as I said, 42 of them have been spent in hard labour.

From memory (and it ain't what it used to be) Onion played for Pumpherston and Sloop for Gairdoch United

Ray_
20-09-2013, 07:23 AM

Sorry, different interpretations there, I included all the players that we brought through our youth set up, that hadn't played senior football. Des Bremner was a 18 year old when he signed in 1971 and spent the first year as a youth player, he was still a 19 yo amateur when we won the 1972 Dryborough Cup.

I think the main point I was trying to make, going by the spec above, in the nine years from 1963-1972, to the best of my knowledge,we had eight players that went through our youth system and on to gain full Scottish international honours, in the next thirty years, we had two. General question open to anyone [Johnnyboy :greengrin ] am I right it being 8? Name them. :hmmm:

Ray_
20-09-2013, 07:31 AM

Sorry, different interpretations there, I included all the players that we brought through our youth set up, that hadn't played senior football. Des Bremner was a 18 year old when he signed in 1971 and spent the first year as a youth player, he was still a 19 yo amateur when we won the 1972 Dryborough Cup.

I think the main point I was trying to make, going by the spec above, in the nine years from 1963-1972, to the best of my knowledge,we had eight players that went through our youth system and on to gain full Scottish international honours, in the next thirty years, we had two. General question open to anyone [Johnnyboy :greengrin ] am I right it being 8? Name them. :hmmm:

Iggy Pope
20-09-2013, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=Ray-in-ireland;3751719]Sorry, different interpretations there, I included all the players that we brought through our youth set up, that hadn't played senior football. Des Bremner was a 18 year old when he signed in 1971 and spent the first year as a youth player, he was still a 19 yo amateur when we won the 1972 Dryborough Cup.

I think the main point I was trying to make, going by the spec above, in the nine years from 1963-1972, to the best of my knowledge,we had eight players that went through our youth system and on to gain full Scottish international honours, in the next thirty years, we had two. General question open to anyone [Johnnyboy :greengrin ] am I right it being 8? Name them. :hmmm:[/QUOTE

Stanton
Cropley
Cormack
Marinello

All through our system I think? (Ie Hibs Colts?)

Stein
Brownle
Blackley

All brought out of Junior set ups?

Bremner

Signed from Deveronvale IMO

Ray_
20-09-2013, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Ray-in-ireland;3751719]Sorry, different interpretations there, I included all the players that we brought through our youth set up, that hadn't played senior football. Des Bremner was a 18 year old when he signed in 1971 and spent the first year as a youth player, he was still a 19 yo amateur when we won the 1972 Dryborough Cup.

I think the main point I was trying to make, going by the spec above, in the nine years from 1963-1972, to the best of my knowledge,we had eight players that went through our youth system and on to gain full Scottish international honours, in the next thirty years, we had two. General question open to anyone [Johnnyboy :greengrin ] am I right it being 8? Name them. :hmmm:[/QUOTE

Stanton
Cropley
Cormack
Marinello

All through our system I think? (Ie Hibs Colts?)

Stein
Brownle
Blackley

All brought out of Junior set ups?

Bremner

Signed from Deveronvale IMO

Very close :greengrin Don't think Peter Marinello gained a full cap.

Iggy Pope
20-09-2013, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Hamilton Handling;3751775]

Very close :greengrin Don't think Peter Marinello gained a full cap.

In that case I'm stuck. And I'm on my holidays in 30deg Lisbon heat on my Mrs' phone greeting in my speedos!
Who is the 8th man?

Ray_
20-09-2013, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Ray-in-ireland;3751786]

In that case I'm stuck. And I'm on my holidays in 30deg Lisbon heat on my Mrs' phone greeting in my speedos!
Who is the 8th man?

Thomson Allen. Have a great holiday, it sounds as though you are :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
20-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Jim Scott -although he started prior to 1963.

Ray_
20-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Jim Scott -although he started prior to 1963.

Good call, but as you said, he signed five years before the 1963 cut off. Interesting that his only cap was against Holland in 1966, in a 3-0 defeat. I'm sure Pat Stanton's Scotland debut was against Holland in 66, but I thought it was a 0-0 draw. perhaps they played twice :confused: or maybe I'm wrong :taxi

Iggy Pope
20-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Good call, but as you said, he signed five years before the 1963 cut off. Interesting that his only cap was against Holland in 1966, in a 3-0 defeat. I'm sure Pat Stanton's Scotland debut was against Holland in 66, but I thought it was a 0-0 draw. perhaps they played twice :confused: or maybe I'm wrong :taxi

How about Iain Munro? Was he one of ours?

Ray_
20-09-2013, 06:30 PM
How about Iain Munro? Was he one of ours?

We bought him from ST Mirren.

Iggy Pope
20-09-2013, 06:49 PM
We bought him from ST Mirren.

You know. That is exactly what I've been thinking since I posted.

Well done onThomson Allan though. That WAS in underachiever in a Hibs shirt if ever there was one. I recall him being at Dundee and maybe made the 74 WC squad? How many first team games did he get at Hibs?

Jonnyboy
20-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Well done onThomson Allan though. That WAS in underachiever in a Hibs shirt if ever there was one. I recall him being at Dundee and maybe made the 74 WC squad? How many first team games did he get at Hibs?

106 apparently

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6179

Hiber-nation
20-09-2013, 07:10 PM

106 games.

"We've got Thomson Allan in the goals, we've got the best team in the land". Probably the first Hibs song I ever heard.

Jonnyboy
20-09-2013, 07:11 PM

106 games.

"We've got Thomson Allan in the goals, we've got the best team in the land". Probably the first Hibs song I ever heard.

Brings back some very happy Hawkhill bus memories that does :thumbsup:

Ray_
20-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Brings back some very happy Hawkhill bus memories that does :thumbsup:

I remember that as well & another regular was "the wild rover" :greengrin

Jonnyboy
20-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I remember that was well & another regular was "the wild rover" :greengrin

Aye :thumbsup:

Ray_
20-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Roy Baines was another, really took off at Morton after he had left Hibs, but he was English & couldn't shift Gordon Banks or Peter Shilton :greengrin.

Iggy Pope
21-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Roy Baines was another, really took off at Morton after he had left Hibs, but he was English & couldn't shift Gordon Banks or Peter Shilton :greengrin.

I think I remember being in the shed as we put 5 past a very wet Roy Baines. He made Celtic after that I think?

Those Thompson Allan appearances though - I would never have thought he was anywhere close to 100 for Hibs but there you go.
All I recall my old man spraffing about, before I was old enough to form my own opinion, was this Willie Wilson 'man in black' fellah. Not lucky enough to have witnessed this in the flesh though :greengrin