PDA

View Full Version : NHC The 10 Greatest Footballers ever - allegedly.

--------
16-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Anyone else seen THIS?

http://www.givemesport.com/380396-top-10-worlds-greatest-ever-footballers

:faf:​

Killiehibbie
16-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyone else seen THIS?

I got as far as Beckham no 1:confused:

AndyM_1875
16-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Anyone else seen THIS?

FFS! No Cruyff?

And where's Mark Yardley?

--------
16-09-2013, 12:33 PM
FFS! No Cruyff?

And where's Mark Yardley?

Joe T? :rolleyes:

Killiehibbie
16-09-2013, 12:33 PM
FFS! No Cruyff?

And where's Mark Yardley?Or Maradona.

AndyM_1875
16-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Joe T? :rolleyes:

Shocking eh?

:greengrin

PatHead
16-09-2013, 12:34 PM
I got as far as Beckham no 1:confused:

Likewise.

jacomo
16-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Anyone else seen THIS?

Avoid this website and anything to do with it. They are desperately promoting their site across the interweb but have literally nothing to offer.

Hank Schrader
16-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Or Maradona.

"Hand of God" will be the reason for that.

Killiehibbie
16-09-2013, 12:40 PM
"Hand of God" will be the reason for that.I'd imagine most of those who voted weren't even born that fine day.

--------
16-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Avoid this website and anything to do with it. They are desperately promoting their site across the interweb but have literally nothing to offer.

I guessed that. Another 'Football Rumours', hm?

Bostonhibby
16-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Agree, avoid. Not one of them have ever won a war and they haven't even mentioned big trudi.

Deansy
16-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Ha-ha-ha - 'Beckham World's Best' in a 'UK' poll ?? - Highly unlikely ! Takes me back to years ago when (I'm sure it was C4 ??) a panel of viewers voted that kevin Keegan was better than George Best !!

Tom Hart RIP
16-09-2013, 01:59 PM
My top ten Hibs players seen in action in no particular order
John Brownlie
Pat Stanton
Alex Cropley
Peter Cormack
Alex Edwards
John Collins
Andy Goram
Russell Latapy
Franck Sauzee
John Blackley
Sorry to Peter Marinello Alan Gordon, Erich Schaedler, Jimmy Orourke, Arthur Duncan, Kieth Wright,

CyberSauzee
16-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Ha-ha-ha - 'Beckham World's Best' in a 'UK' poll ?? - Highly unlikely ! Takes me back to years ago when (I'm sure it was C4 ??) a panel of viewers voted that kevin Keegan was better than George Best !!

I don't recall Bestie recording a smash hit single?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-JtHe3hGUs

He should have though. Maybe covering this Dead Kennedys number would sum up George beautifully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TWLxCIgwE

TAHibby
16-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Beckham? **** off.

stu in nottingham
16-09-2013, 03:39 PM
David Beckham wasn't even the best player at Manchester United. In my humble opinion he wasn't even the best midfielder there.

TheFamous1875
16-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Beckham was never aw' that, he was a very good (limited) player in a very, very good team. His career owes more to his wife and selling out than it does to his footballing prowess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SurferRosa
16-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Anyone else seen THIS?

No Maradona, no Cruyff, no Puskas, no Hagi, no Muller, no Platini......and they`ve rated Gary Lineker higher than Pele or Best.....

:faf::faf:

snooky
16-09-2013, 04:27 PM
David Beckham wasn't even the best player at Manchester United. In my humble opinion he wasn't even the best midfielder there.

My humble opinion too. :agree:

Akin to when John Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world.
John replied "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles"

Ricky Bobby
16-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Beckham never beat a single player in his entire career.

Maradonna every day of the week for me

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2013, 04:48 PM
What a ridiculous list! You must need an English postcode to vote!

Green Cabbage 7
16-09-2013, 04:55 PM
No Maradona, no Cruyff, no Puskas, no Hagi, no Muller, no Platini......and they`ve rated Gary Lineker higher than Pele or Best.....

:faf::faf:
No Smith, Reilly, Turnbull, Johnstone, or Ormond.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2013, 04:58 PM
No Smith, Reilly, Turnbull, Johnstone, or Ormand.

Its not EFFING Ormand!

TheFamous1875
16-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Its not EFFING Ormand!

And his first name is spelt 'Alen' not 'Alan'! Christ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Green Cabbage 7
16-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Its not EFFING Ormand!

Oops "Ormond" sorry buddy

Bronson
16-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Gary Lineker no.4 in the top 10 BEST EVER, above Pele? David Beckham no.1? One of the worst things I've ever clapped eyes on.

Where's Cruyff, Maradona, Eusebio, Puskas, Di Stefano etc? Laughable.

nonshinyfinish
16-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I got as far as Rooney above Zidane, threw my laptop out the window, and renounced democracy forever.

It's just not working.

manx hibee
16-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Gary Lineker no.4 in the top 10 BEST EVER, above Pele? David Beckham no.1? One of the worst things I've ever clapped eyes on.

And where's dalgleish ffs
maldini
del piero
sounnes
and the 5
and that's for starters
oh and tin hat moment

Alan Hansen :taxi:taxi

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Oops "Ormond" sorry buddy

I wouldnae worry about it! ;-)

ScottB
16-09-2013, 08:51 PM
If they are trying to build traffic to their site, this, I suspect, is their theory:

Step 1 - Produce a ludicrous top 10 best ever footballers

Step 2 - Watch site traffic numbers skyrocket as people share the link in disbelief

Step 3 - Watch comment numbers skyrocket as people slag it off / post better top 10's / etc.

Step 4 - Ad revenue increases

Step 5 - Repeat

It's the same reason 'This Morning' keep bringing on that daft bint that makes ridiculous comments, or why the Daily Mail trolls its way through attempted journalism.

Peevemor
16-09-2013, 09:05 PM
11. Brian Kerr

HoboHarry
16-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Aye right - because that Shearer bloke was waaayyyyyy better than Marco Van Basten....... I think someone made that list up and is having a laugh now.....

davemcbain
17-09-2013, 07:37 AM
So much negativity....on a positive note, first English poll I've ever seen with no mention of their 1966 world cup winning team - guess they were all mince then :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Its not EFFING Ormand!

Just spat coffee all over my screen. :wink:

Hibercelona
17-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Sauzee was a better player than Beckham, so he should be number 1 on that list. :agree:

jdships
17-09-2013, 09:13 AM

:top marks

stu in nottingham
17-09-2013, 12:19 PM
So much negativity....on a positive note, first English poll I've ever seen with no mention of their 1966 world cup winning team - guess they were all mince then :greengrin

I'd definitely say that Bobby Charlton was a wee bit ahead of all those English names on that list...

--------
17-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd definitely say that Bobby Charlton was a wee bit ahead of all those English names on that list...

AND Bobby Moore. And Gordon Banks, too.

It appears to be a red-neck website trying to make a place for itself on the web and doing so by pandering to the prejudices of morons.

I very much doubt they even ran a proper poll.

The very idea of "The 10 Greatest Footballers Ever" is ridiculous. Tout it on this forum and I would expect as many different lists as people posting. People of my generation would almost certainly include players that younger posters wouldn't have seen and might not even have heard of. I remember once a younger poster asking quite seriously, "Who was Puskas?" He hadn't heard of him.

I I were nominating MY "Top Ten" - and it would only be MY "Top Ten" - I would include Pele, Puskas, Di Stefano, Maradona, Messi, John Charles and George Best. The order I would put them in might vary from time to time, however, and I'm really not too sure of who else I'd include. Eusebio? Beckenbauer? Gerd Muller? Bobby Charlton? Garrincha? Baggio? Cruyff? Yashin? Zidane? Gordon Smith?

I think the poster who suggested that we shouldn't be encouraging the people behind this website is absolutely right.

stu in nottingham
17-09-2013, 01:22 PM
AND Bobby Moore. And Gordon Banks, too.

Yes certainly. Banks is as good a goalie as I've witnessed and Moore was extremely classy (not nearly as good as Stanton though, obviously). :wink:

--------
17-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Yes certainly. Banks is as good a goalie as I've witnessed and Moore was extremely classy (not nearly as good as Stanton though, obviously). :wink:

Indeed. I didn't mention King Paddy only because he was so much in a class by himself that it would have been totally unfair to the others.

stu in nottingham
17-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Indeed. I didn't mention King Paddy only because he was so much in a class by himself that it would have been totally unfair to the others.

Just reading a book (Best and Edwards by Gordon Burn) that contains claims that if Duncan Edwards had been alive, he and not Moore would likely have been captain of England during that World Cup and that Moore would have had to be found a place for elsewhere in the side. It's an interesting point of view and I'll go on my father's claim that big Duncan was as good as it gets.

I can really recommend the book by the way.

--------
17-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Just reading a book (Best and Edwards by Gordon Burn) that contains claims that if Duncan Edwards had been alive, he and not Moore would likely have been captain of England during that World Cup and that Moore would have had to be found a place for elsewhere in the side. It's an interesting point of view and I'll go on my father's claim that big Duncan was as good as it gets.

I can really recommend the book by the way.

Aye, my father saw Edwards play and said the same about him.

Maybe Ramsey would have played them both as the wing-halves and dropped that wee scrote Styles?

fatbloke
17-09-2013, 01:38 PM
What a load o Tom Kite. Did they restrict voting to patients of Broadmoor o mibby only 4 year olds?

--------
17-09-2013, 01:42 PM
What a load o Tom Kite. Did they restrict voting to patients of Broadmoor o mibby only 4 year olds?

I was wondering if it might be the official football website of the BNP, but they have Pele in there.

But then, maybe he's the 'token black'?

stu in nottingham
17-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Aye, my father saw Edwards play and said the same about him.

Maybe Ramsey would have played them both as the wing-halves and dropped that wee scrote Styles?

Reading Bobby Charlton's views, Stiles appeared to have a depth of hidden talents on the pitch. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take his word for it as they were well-hidden as far as I'm concerned!

Speaking generally re the thread, I think these types of lists can often be termed as people's 'favourites' list as opposed to 'best-ever' lists. If I chose one each of those they'd read quite differently. I carried out this exercise with Hibs, as we do, and realised my best-ever eleven didn't contain two of my three favourite Hibees.

For what it's worth, a quick stab at a World Top Ten for me would have to contain elite players such as Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Beckenbauer and Yashin. When you start throwing in names like Ronaldo, Van Basten and Zidane however it gets almost impossible. It's very subjective (if fun) and tends to be centric to our 'own' personal era.

fatbloke
17-09-2013, 02:06 PM
I was wondering if it might be the official football website of the BNP, but they have Pele in there.

But then, maybe he's the 'token black'?

:faf:

--------
17-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Reading Bobby Charlton's views, Stiles appeared to have a depth of hidden talents on the pitch. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take his word for it as they were well-hidden as far as I'm concerned!

Speaking generally re the thread, I think these types of lists can often be termed as people's 'favourites' list as opposed to 'best-ever' lists. If I chose one each of those they'd read quite differently. I carried out this exercise with Hibs, as we do, and realised my best-ever eleven didn't contain two of my three favourite Hibees.

For what it's worth, a quick stab at a World Top Ten for me would have to contain elite players such as Pele, Maradona, Best, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Beckenbauer and Yashin. When you start throwing in names like Ronaldo, Van Basten and Zidane however it gets almost impossible. It's very subjective (if fun) and tends to be centric to our 'own' personal era.

There you go - Ronaldo and Van Basten. Another two perfectly respectable candidates. Or maybe three - which Ronaldo did you mean?

And then way back in the day there would be Hidegkuti and Kocsis from the Magyars ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNr6yW6B70g

Did you see the #5 (left-back, not centre-half actually) hitting the by-line and playing it in for Puskas?

And that film reminds me about Stan Matthews.

And Juste Fontaine, anyone?

Big Ed
17-09-2013, 03:51 PM
There you go - Ronaldo and Van Basten. Another two perfectly respectable candidates. Or maybe three - which Ronaldo did you mean?

And then way back in the day there would be Hidegkuti and Kocsis from the Magyars ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNr6yW6B70g

Did you see the #5 (left-back, not centre-half actually) hitting the by-line and playing it in for Puskas?

And that film reminds me about Stan Matthews.

And Juste Fontaine, anyone?

Slightly off topic, but when I am watching football on the telly with my sons, I quite like trying to convey what good players some of the current managers were.

The other night, when Belgium beat Scotland, there was Marc Wilmots: I thought he was a brilliant player.

Roberto Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti, Felix Magath; standing on the touchline, shouting the odds, but giving no clue as to the probability that in their heyday, they were as good, if not better, than their players.

--------
17-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Slightly off topic, but when I am watching football on the telly with my sons, I quite like trying to convey what good players some of the current managers were.

The other night, when Belgium beat Scotland, there was Marc Wilmots: I thought he was a brilliant player.

Roberto Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti, Felix Magath; standing on the touchline, shouting the odds, but giving no clue as to the probability that in their heyday, they were as good, if not better, than their players.

You're right - there are so many great players in the history of the sport.

And if you're looking for a central midfielder, you'd go a long way to find someone better than Felix Magath. Superb player.

pedroorange1875
17-09-2013, 10:47 PM
David Beckham wasn't even world class just a money making machine

sparky
18-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Living in Canada I sometimes encounter people who, lacking proper football knowledge, believe Beckham to be among the greatest, if not the greatest footballer ever. Akin to a Wayne Gretzky, Michael Jordan or Muhammad Ali in their respective sports.

Beckham was a very good footballer his dead ball delivery/freekicks were the best part of his game, but his profile in football far outmatches his actual ability. Hence why he is the most overrated footballer of all time, IMO. If he had been born with a face like Paul Scholes he would not be half as well known as he is.

MagicSwirlingShip
18-09-2013, 02:43 AM
People who say Beckham wasn't world class need to stand back and take a look at what he has achieved in the game.

Granted, he wasn't the most tricky of right sided midfielders, didn't have much pace either. But he was an integral part of (several) of Fergies best United Squads, and a key player in their Treble win.

Agreed, he shouldn't be anywhere near a list of this type - but he was unplayable at his peak.

Septimus
18-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Any list which does not start with Billy Steel is rubbish,

Aldo
18-09-2013, 07:06 AM
People who say Beckham wasn't world class need to stand back and take a look at what he has achieved in the game.

Granted, he wasn't the most tricky of right sided midfielders, didn't have much pace either. But he was an integral part of (several) of Fergies best United Squads, and a key player in their Treble win.

Agreed, he shouldn't be anywhere near a list of this type - but he was unplayable at his peak.

Not doubting Beckham was a good player but defo would struggle to make top 20 in world tbh.

Best, Law and Charlton would be above him, as would Giggs.

Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, Beckanbauer, Muller, Guiilt, Matheaus, Zindane, both Ronaldos, Ronaldininho, Romario, messi the list goes on.

These guys would be above Beckham and that's off the top of ma head.

Model pro and scored some memorable goals but heay its an opinion and one mainly by the looks of it by folk from englandshire.

1966 World Cup winners and 2014 World Cup winners elect. Or that's what they think.

pedroorange1875
18-09-2013, 09:52 AM

The Beckham name is world class, his football ability would be rated as very good with an amazing attitude and work ethic, nothing more. When you look at the names mentioned here he's nowhere near the list of even the top 50 ever throughout football history

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Agreed, he shouldn't be anywhere near a list of this type

:agree: