PDA

View Full Version : How big was Saturday's win?

Leeson
16-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Just saw the following facts on Twitter which maybe show how big a win we had on Saturday and why it maybe can be considered a real change in direction?

St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188421h (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/379178603679739904)Yesterday was first time since return to SPL that Saints have taken lead at home vs non-OF side in league and gone on to lose. @SPLstats (http://www.hibs.net/SPLstats)
St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188421h (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/379178970710700032)
Hibs' win was first time since March 2007 that non-OF club has gone behind in league game at McDiarmid and come back to win. @SPLstats (http://www.hibs.net/SPLstats)
St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188421h (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/379179223836942336)
Since Jan 2003 only Livingston, Rangers, Celtic and now Hibs have gone a goal down and ended up winning in league at McDiarmid. @SPLstats (http://www.hibs.net/SPLstats)
St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188421h (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/379179643619663872)
Yesterday was first time since August 2010 that Saints lost a league match after taking lead. P44, W37, D7, L0, F82, A24. @SPLstats (http://www.hibs.net/SPLstats)
St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188414 Sep (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/378910178781192193)
Saints lost for the first time at home in 10 months and 14 matches this afternoon. Hibs started and ended run.
St Johnstone 1884‏@stjohnstone188414 Sep (http://www.hibs.net/stjohnstone1884/status/378910659796533248)
This afternoon was first time in over three years that Saints lost a league match after taking the lead. Run of about 40 games.

I know they are a small club but they obviously have a good record at home and whilst we should always be expecting to beat a team like them, home or away, other clubs have struggled to do it.

SunshineOnLeith
16-09-2013, 08:13 AM
2-1

Geo_1875
16-09-2013, 08:14 AM
It's a big deal for any team to come from behind and win away from home. We were maybe a bit fortunate that they scored quite early and couldn't sit back and defend their lead.

Kato
16-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Another SPFL stat is that in 70% of games the 1st team to score goes on to win or draw. Good show from the Hibs to go on to win given the combination of all these stats.

matty_f
16-09-2013, 08:36 AM
I think we'll only see the significance of Saturday's win if we put another few results on the back of it.

St Johnstone were held up as being way ahead of us as we stuttered into the season, but we are sitting level with them now, having just beaten them and are putting together a decent unbeaten run, whereas Saints are doing the stuttering now.

I would say Saturday coming is a bigger game. At home against a team who have thus far really struggled, we should be comfortable winners. Back to back wins and pushing the unbeaten run to 5 would take a lot of the heat off of Fenlon. Lose the game, and he's probably going to find himself back to square one with a vast majority of the support.

Albanian Hibs
16-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Every win is huge

Hibercelona
16-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Every win is huge

This.

Every single win matters.

basehibby
16-09-2013, 08:54 AM
A much more significant result IMO would be a win at ER vs St Mirren next Saturday - particularly if it signalled the end of a trully dreadful set of Stats that Hibs have built up at home over the last few seasons and the start of a run like that described for St J above!

What is it - 2 league wins at ER this year?!? An absolutely dreadful run which will need to be turned on it's head if PF is to win the majority of the support back on side.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-09-2013, 09:31 AM
We need to start scoring first. We're giving ourselves a mountain to climb every game by going behind. Fair play to the team for managing to turn things around after going a goal behind on Sat, at Killie before that and even at Tynie at the tail end of last season. Can't keep doing that however

Onion
16-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Stats say much more about St J than Hibs. Impressive record at home.

MB62
16-09-2013, 11:21 AM
I know that's 4 games in a row undefeated for us now but I see Saturday as the first game that P.F. has had the chance to pick the team and tactics that he hopefully wants to play on a regular basis. The singings of Zoubir and in particular Hefernan, will allow him to play a more attacking side, getting away from the drab 4-2-3-1 set up.
It's not his first choice defence, I would imagine, but the midfield and now strikerS, look very good and something for us to actually forward to in the coming games.

So, it was a BIG win, as every win is, but is the first of many I hope.

Whilst P.F. McPake and others might not believe it, given the amount of times the captain in particular has all but slagged us off for giving them a hard time, we are ALL HIBS SUPPORTERS, and we WANT to SUPPORT the team on match days. The football on show in the past has been of the 'send you to sleep' variety but I feel there is a huge opportunity here for that all to change right round now and we could be an exciting team to watch.

weonlywon6-2
16-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I know that's 4 games in a row undefeated for us now but I see Saturday as the first game that P.F. has had the chance to pick the team and tactics that he hopefully wants to play on a regular basis. The singings of Zoubir and in particular Hefernan, will allow him to play a more attacking side, getting away from the drab 4-2-3-1 set up.
It's not his first choice defence, I would imagine, but the midfield and now strikerS, look very good and something for us to actually forward to in the coming games.

So, it was a BIG win, as every win is, but is the first of many I hope.

Whilst P.F. McPake and others might not believe it, given the amount of times the captain in particular has all but slagged us off for giving them a hard time, we are ALL HIBS SUPPORTERS, and we WANT to SUPPORT the team on match days. The football on show in the past has been of the 'send you to sleep' variety but I feel there is a huge opportunity here for that all to change right round now and we could be an exciting team to watch.

I hope you are right.maybe a bit of confidence could change things

I take it Zoubir and Heffernan are going to burst into song if they score????

--------
16-09-2013, 11:45 AM
We need to start scoring first. We're giving ourselves a mountain to climb every game by going behind. Fair play to the team for managing to turn things around after going a goal behind on Sat, at Killie before that and even at Tynie at the tail end of last season. Can't keep doing that however

I don't consider going 1-0 down in 17 minutes is 'giving ourselves a mountain to climb'. With 73 minutes still to go there was plenty time to turn the game around, which is exactly what the team did. In fact, they could have won by a considerably greater margin but for a terrific save by Mannus from Craig and a Heffernan shot slipping just wide of the far post in the second half.

I agree that losing the first goal regularly isn't a habit to get into, but part of the problem may be that when we DO lose a goal some of the support turn against the team immediately (especially at home and in the derby) - and that has to have a negative effect on them.

3-0 down a HT in a semi is a mountain to climb. 1-0 with more than an hour left isn't.

Keith_M
16-09-2013, 11:47 AM
It was 3 points.

Thecat23
16-09-2013, 11:49 AM
For Hibs to have the belief to come back away from home at a very difficult ground as the stats show was massive. It's a huge boost that the boys should take a lift from and also take that into the next game. It's always the game after a difficult one that matters too. No point winning at St. Johnstone to then lose at ER. We need to string a few results together and push for a top 3 spot.

Seveno
16-09-2013, 12:08 PM
The most used cliche by managers is 'it's a difficult place to go to'.

Well we all know that's its an easy drive up the M90 to Perth but an away match against St Johnstone clearly is a challenge. Well done Hibs for giving them a goal of a start and still coming away with 3 points.

Now let's just hope that Danny Lennon (or whoever is managing St Mirren at the weekend) finds ER an impossible place to go to.

snooky
16-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Stats say much more about St J than Hibs. Impressive record at home.

"There's lies, damned lies & statistics" -Benjamin Disraeli

Hibee87
16-09-2013, 12:23 PM
The next 4 league games will be the biggest test, and very intersting imo.

St mirren at home, 1 point all season should be a comfortable afternoon, back to back wins and 5 games unbeaten, should also have a easy cup game a week tomorrow.............big test though is inverness away. With it being a week on satarday surely we should have the majority of the team back to fitness and able to field a very strong team. I would love it if we got 3 points up there as that would really signal a change for us and hopefully signal the turn around for pat. 3 games win on the trot then take on partick away if and i very much emphasise on the IF we can get through these 3 games unbeaten confidence should be flowing for the visit of celtic :pfgwa

TheFamous1875
16-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I think a comfortable and confident win at home against St Mirren on a Saturday on the back of an away win against an apparently strong St Johnstone after being behind by a goal will show us how important our win in Perth was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Speedway
16-09-2013, 12:31 PM
The size of this win was approximately 48 x 24 x 24.

NAE NOOKIE
16-09-2013, 05:26 PM
A great result ..... We now have an unbeaten 4 game run with 2 wins and 2 draws which looks OK.

But the two wins have come away from home, which would be great if it wasnt for our terrible home record. To keep folk coming to Easter Road Hibs really have to improve these results ... 70% or so of our supporters dont go to away games so home form is obviously very important.

A victory over St Mirren on Saturday gives us a five game unbeaten run with 3 wins and 2 draws, which aint bad at all.

Onward and upward as they say.