PDA

View Full Version : Our Squad of players

Seveno
15-09-2013, 06:08 PM
We can argue about Pat's tactical ability but, after a few misses, he seems to have assembled a good squad of players that should provide us with the best league placing for a number of years. Once we get all our players fit, we should be able to field a strong team with an excellent bench.

LeithBoozy
15-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Yes agreed, a very strong team and a very strong bench. It has been a long time since we could say that. :wink:

lucky
15-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Got to agree seems a decent SPLF squad, the challenge for PF is to get them playing the right way and getting results. Time will tell but I'm not confident he has the ability to do so but desperate for him prove me wrong

rcarter1
15-09-2013, 06:37 PM
We can argue about Pat's tactical ability but, after a few misses, he seems to have assembled a good squad of players that should provide us with the best league placing for a number of years. Once we get all our players fit, we should be able to field a strong team with an excellent bench.

Imagine this will remain a debate for some time yet, and while the squad has good players, its the pace and width that could make all the difference. Hope Zoubir and then Harris/Cairney give us that going forward. Our next five games will have some 'must' wins vs StMirren/Partick, and some real toughies, Celtic, ICT and Aberdeen. Bring it on! :agree:

Billy Whizz
15-09-2013, 06:41 PM

We do have a large number of players, and boy do we need them. The numbers of injuries we've had this season has been staggering so early on. We've had the below players out injured at sometime already,
Harris
Cairney
Mcpake
Clancy
McGivern
OT jones
Robertson
Handling
Mullen

And now Stevenson picks up an injury on Saturday
I'm not sure what our strongest team is, that's if there is such a thing as a strongest 11, horses for courses in my opinion. Think we need to sort out the right back position soon, that's us used 4 right backs in pre season/SPL so far, and a potential 5th, Clancy injured again

hihohibby
15-09-2013, 06:51 PM

For me there is a long way to go before I feel able to judge whether this particular squad is good or indeed strong. The signs are encouraging, but nothing more than this at this stage. I certainly don't see the bench as "excellent!" More competitive compared to last season perhaps.

IberianHibernian
15-09-2013, 10:01 PM
At end of September last year we`d been beaten heavily at Tannadice in first league game , only drawn at home with Hearts then had a few good league results (must have been good because defeat in Dumfries in LC was heavily criticised but mainly for PF not having played SPL team ) . Results continued to be good until mid December but it was often frightening to look at substitutes we had available and we`d certainly have suffered in league if we`d had midweek LC and / or European games . Now we don`t have quality of LG ( whose style of play affected whole set up of team - Doyle was a regular scorer with different set up for example ) or Claros but hopefully having stronger bench will help us to be more consistent . I suspect we`ll finish higher in league ( 2nd to 5th ) but not get to another cup final - will that impress accountants or fans ?

Gustavo Fring
15-09-2013, 10:12 PM
we have 1 of the best squads in the league on paper . thomson,craig,mcgivern,robertson and heffernan would be walk into the 1st 11 of most teams in the league . only aberdeen and smeltic were signing players of the quality we were gettin , i still reckon tudur jones will start showing the form he had at ICT , collins with a goal under hi belt will surely kick on . williams is the best keeper weve had in years , mcpake has his critics but i still think he brings something to the team and the new boy zoubir looks like he has a bit of trickery about him

GlenrothesHibee
15-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Pat has been incredibly unlucky with injuries this season. However we do have a very strong squad. Best squad of players we have had in a number of years. Im confident we can still have a very good season

JOD
16-09-2013, 01:20 AM
At end of September last year we`d been beaten heavily at Tannadice in first league game , only drawn at home with Hearts then had a few good league results (must have been good because defeat in Dumfries in LC was heavily criticised but mainly for PF not having played SPL team ) . Results continued to be good until mid December but it was often frightening to look at substitutes we had available and we`d certainly have suffered in league if we`d had midweek LC and / or European games . Now we don`t have quality of LG ( whose style of play affected whole set up of team - Doyle was a regular scorer with different set up for example ) or Claros but hopefully having stronger bench will help us to be more consistent . I suspect we`ll finish higher in league ( 2nd to 5th ) but not get to another cup final - will that impress accountants or fans ?

Very good post but I believe now we have a strong squad way above what we've had over last many seasons. Over to you now Pat its's your team/ you have put it to-gether lets see it happen.:fenlon

B.H.F.C
16-09-2013, 01:54 AM
On Saturday we had McGivern, Harris, Clancy, Cairney and Jones not even in the squad.

McGivern would start. I think Clancy (if he's ever fit again) is our first choice right back. We know the impact Harris can have. Jones, although he's been poor for us so far was one of Inverness's best players last year. Cairney up until Christmas last year was superb and if he can get fit again could be like a new signing.

Looking through our starting team I think every team outside Celtic would take Craig, Thomson and Robertson. I think they would all take Heffernan. Collins still has a bit to prove but has scored goals at a decent level.. Our back 4 are all experienced at this level and despite what a lot of people think we have one of the better defensive records in the league so far. Williams is our best keeper in a while as well.

Our bench had options as we saw with Zoubir making an impact. Vine is another who hasn't done it yet but was one of our opponents best players last year and he couldn't even get on the pitch.

All that said, we still aren't there yet. For me it's still a squad of good individuals as opposed to us having a good team. Maybe, just maybe we are starting to come together. I think we are maybe in a similar position to what Strachan was talking about with scotland in that we seem to have found a way of playing away from home but we still need to find a system to play at home.

I feel a lot more positive after Saturday but StMiren this week is huge. If we can back this win up with another result then I might start believing we've started turning the corner. I really think Fenlon needs to come out and be braver at Easter Road. We are playing the most out of form team in the league so it's up to us to grab the game early doors.

Brightside
16-09-2013, 06:59 AM
We have the strongest squad outside of Celtic. IF he gets them playing at the level they should in parts yesterday we should be Top 4 no problem.

--------
16-09-2013, 11:22 AM
We do have a large number of players, and boy do we need them. The numbers of injuries we've had this season has been staggering so early on. We've had the below players out injured at sometime already,
Harris
Cairney
Mcpake
Clancy
McGivern
OT jones
Robertson
Handling
Mullen

And now Stevenson picks up an injury on Saturday
I'm not sure what our strongest team is, that's if there is such a thing as a strongest 11, horses for courses in my opinion. Think we need to sort out the right back position soon, that's us used 4 right backs in pre season/SPL so far, and a potential 5th, Clancy injured again

That's very nearly a whole team of first-team squad members. RB is a problem that needs addressing more effectively.

The squad looks stronger than it has for some years, though.

PS - as far as entertainment's concerned, I'll settle for a run of effective performances and positive results first. A run of four or five 1-0 wins'll do me, regardless of the entertainment value - for now.

DAVE1875
16-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Hopefully soon we can stop having to concede a goal to score goals of our own and win

TheFamous1875
16-09-2013, 11:42 AM
What I'm liking about the size of our squad is the potential adaptability of it (if Fenlon learns to execute, which we all hope he will). You could have so many varied staring XIs we could be happy with. The only thing I think is wrong with our squad is that it's not balanced enough, there's too many central midfielders, not enough wide men, playmakers and players with pace. Having said that, if we get a fully fit squad sometime soon, we may have to shut our gobs about that, as we have 2 potential playmakers in Zoubir and Cairney, we also have pace and width in Zoubir and Harris. I for one would like more creative options, or at least give the youngsters a chance to make these roles their own, as Harris did last season.

There's an expectation of how the game should be played at our club as well. But are free flowing football and defensive industry mutually exclusive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD