PDA

View Full Version : Alan Maybury

Bronson
15-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Was really surprised to see his name in the starting 11, although not disappointed. I assume he started due to the injuries to the likes of mcgivern and clancy but I would be happy to see him continue at right back for now.

How was he today anyway, solid enough? Yet to see any of the highlights myself.

CallumLaidlaw
15-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Was concerned that he may be a bit rusty. And even more concerned when I saw he was up against a tricky pacy Hasselbaink. But, he used his experience to completely boss him (after the first 10 mins)

Bronson
15-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Was concerned that he may be a bit rusty. And even more concerned when I saw he was up against a tricky pacy Hasselbaink. But, he used his experience to completely boss him (after the first 10 mins)

Good to hear. He came good in the latter half of last season I thought after a pretty shaky start to say the least.

BVB Hibs
15-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Maybury is a smart footballer. He knows his limitations and plays in order to minimise their impact. He's not going to burst up the wing every 2 minutes and he's not going to do anything spectacular, but he'll play to his strengths and usually come off the pitch with a solid performance. He wasn't great the start of last year, but luckily that came at a time when others were at their best.

He's not going to be starting week in week out, as playing McGivern and Stevenson provides more going forward, but I think he's a brilliant back up to have. Will always give his best and his experience is invaluable in his position.

.Sean.
15-09-2013, 03:18 AM
He played well. Always know what you'll get from him and he never dissapoints, he's no world beater but he's steady enough and I'd have him in before Clancy every day of the week.

RIP
15-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Getting near to the end of his career but still a class act. Took the warmup and during the game if he sees someone out of position gives them an earful.

Used to struggle with 2 on 1's when Spoony was in front but a lot happier yesterday with Robertson there

Noticeably we played a lot down their left yesterday to exploit DW not tracking back

lucky
15-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Saw play against Motherwell U20s on Monday and he strolled through the game so was not overly surprised to see him in the 11 today with our injuries.
Hasslebank caused him bother in the first half but in second half he had him in his pocket. In the end Hasslebank got taken off. Very good player to have in the squad

Broken Gnome
15-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Good to see on another thread that he's still "pretending to be a right back". Probably 15 years experience and now a coach, all while kidding people on he can play a position that he's never been able to.

Apparently.

Paisley Hibby
15-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Saw play against Motherwell U20s on Monday and he strolled through the game so was not overly surprised to see him in the 11 today with our injuries.
Hasslebank caused him bother in the first half but in second half he had him in his pocket. In the end Hasslebank got taken off. Very good player to have in the squad

I would add that he managed to do that despite being booked early on. That make his taming of Hasslebank even more impressive IMO.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Strolled it, very pleased we re-signed him.

wookie70
15-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Very good to have him in the squad. He must feel reasonably fit as he took a few throw ins at the St Johnstone corner flag. I do think he needs a right midfielder who is willing to track back. Robertson was excellent yesterday and the two of them bossed that side of the park. I am not too sure Maybury would be so comfortable with Zoubir in front of him as he doesn't look to be the type of player who will help out defensively.

SunshineOnLeith
15-09-2013, 10:27 AM
I think he's the best right back at the club. Whether he's still got the fitness/stamina to be a first team regular at his age is another issue but if everyone's 100%, I'd pick him ahead of anyone else we've got.

B.H.F.C
15-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Don't think it's any coincidence that we played the ball out a bit better yesterday with a proper right back playing at right back. He gave the team a much better balance

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Don't think it's any coincidence that we played the ball out a bit better yesterday with a proper right back playing at right back. He gave the team a much better balance

:agree:

Thats something i have been saying for weeks, its fine playing someone who is predominantly left footed on the right, if you want the ball played inside all the time.

Although as you say having a someone who is comfortable on his right foot playing on the right opens the pitch up and gives the team a much better balance when going forward.

Treadstone
15-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Excellent pro whose influence should be seen at ER beyond his playing days.

hibby rae
15-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Excellent pro whose influence should be seen at ER beyond his playing days.

Agree completely. I think he's a great influence on the youngsters in particular and always very supportive of them, a look at his twitter account shows that.

LaMotta
15-09-2013, 11:54 AM
I would add that he managed to do that despite being booked early on. That make his taming of Hasslebank even more impressive IMO.

Maybury didn't get booked yesterday but :greengrin

Pretty Boy
15-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Solid player who has done a decent job on and off the park for us.

Paisley Hibby
15-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Maybury didn't get booked yesterday but :greengrin

Ooops! You're right. I see the early booking was Nelson. No idea why I thought it was Maybury. They don't even look remotely like each other :greengrin

Bunter
15-09-2013, 03:51 PM
100%. Alan Maybury's experience puts him where he has to be. Look at Michael Nelson for more of the the same. Not the fastest players, but rarely get caught out. They've got the yards in their heads.
Also, playing players in their actual positions seems to bring the best out of them.
Who'd have thought?

--------
16-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Very good to have him in the squad. He must feel reasonably fit as he took a few throw ins at the St Johnstone corner flag. I do think he needs a right midfielder who is willing to track back. Robertson was excellent yesterday and the two of them bossed that side of the park. I am not too sure Maybury would be so comfortable with Zoubir in front of him as he doesn't look to be the type of player who will help out defensively.

I know there's a bit of doubt about this, but I think Zoubir's left-footed?

Alan will struggle if he doesn't have a midfielder in front of him doing what Robertson was doing on Saturday, but then most full-backs would in similar circumstances.

I thought at the KO that having him and Nelson as the right side of the back four was chancing it, but it seemed to work well. He does look after himself and he's also a sound character with a brain between his ears (which not a lot of footballers have, in my experience).

Nelson looks to be the same sort of guy. If we can get McGivern back for Saturday we could be close to a solid and experienced back four with a couple of decent defenders (McPake and Forster) on the bench as subs.

Personally, I wouldn't start Zoubir; there's a chance he might be targeted for a clattering. I would probably start the same team as at Perth, but with McGivern in for Lewis or vice-versa depending on fitness) but look to bring him on earlier in the second half, maybe even at HT, depending on how the game's going.

I'm bearing in mind that the team hasn't been going well at ER, and that playing the second-bottom team when we're showing the first traces of a decent run of results has all the hallmarks of a Hibee banana-skin.

Northernhibee
16-09-2013, 11:51 AM
I really like both Nelson and Maybury; both very intelligent players and good role models.

I do think Hanlon looks good next to Nelson too.

--------
16-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I really like both Nelson and Maybury; both very intelligent players and good role models.

I do think Hanlon looks good next to Nelson too.

Only thought I have about Hanlon is that sometimes he seems to be muscled off the ball a bit too easily.

(May in the second half, for instance?)

On the other hand, maybe better that than giving away a free kick right down in by the 18-yard line ...

B.H.F.C
16-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Only thought I have about Hanlon is that sometimes he seems to be muscled off the ball a bit too easily.

(May in the second half, for instance?)

On the other hand, maybe better that than giving away a free kick right down in by the 18-yard line ...

Agree that remains my concern with Hanlon. In the instance you mention I thought he should have just put May in the stand and taken the booking when he first got the ball away up near the halfway line.

Overall I don't think he's looked too bad this season so far though.

Aldo
16-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Agree that remains my concern with Hanlon. In the instance you mention I thought he should have just put May in the stand and taken the booking when he first got the ball away up near the halfway line.

Overall I don't think he's looked too bad this season so far though.

Why take a booking? Time you take correctly and there you go.

Beaten by pace an a smaller guy with a good but of pace and strength. Came to nothing so its irrelevant.

I do however think he looks a lot better alongside Nelson than McPake. I did notice especially in a few games that he seems to attack the ball more rather than let it bounce.

Not sure but maybe he knew McPake was struggling in games and didn't want to commit thus exposing McPake.

I'm happy with Hanlon and hopefully both him and Nelson can go from strength to strength.

Sorry hi jacking the thread.

Glad Maybury was RB on Sat. He has an excellent footballing brain and once he got to pace he wasn't troubled.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Why take a booking? Time you take correctly and there you go.

Beaten by pace an a smaller guy with a good but of pace and strength. Came to nothing so its irrelevant.

I do however think he looks a lot better alongside Nelson than McPake. I did notice especially in a few games that he seems to attack the ball more rather than let it bounce.

Not sure but maybe he knew McPake was struggling in games and didn't want to commit thus exposing McPake.

I'm happy with Hanlon and hopefully both him and Nelson can go from strength to strength.

Sorry hi jacking the thread.

Glad Maybury was RB on Sat. He has an excellent footballing brain and once he got to pace he wasn't troubled.

Because its what 99% of professionals would do. Free kick on the half way line or a striker running in to the box. I know what I'd rather have. You're right in that it came to nothing. On this occasion.

Anyway, not a huge criticism. I think he's done fine so far this season. As the whole defence has. Yep there has been the odd mistake but we've not lost more than a goal in any game so far.

Aldo
16-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Because its what 99% of professionals would do. Free kick on the half way line or a striker running in to the box. I know what I'd rather have. You're right in that it came to nothing. On this occasion.

Anyway, not a huge criticism. I think he's done fine so far this season. As the whole defence has. Yep there has been the odd mistake but we've not lost more than a goal in any game so far.

Is see where your coming from but if like you say he was running towards goal then would/could the tackle be classed as last man/goal scoring opp.

needless bookings will cost us later in the season so its risky if you as me.

--------
16-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Yup. I was kind of nitpicking myself - cautions do add up and as a centre-back a caution rather puts the pressure on him for the rest of the game. And the ref could decide 'scoring opportunity' and pot him with a red, which would be a bummer.

He and Nelson are beginning to look like a partnership; it's no bad thing to be able to take our time playing Jake back into the side. I'm still not convinced about Jake's injury - I hope I'm wrong but I do wonder how long he'll be able to carry on.

Brightside
16-09-2013, 02:56 PM

Its what 99% of amatuers would do. But lets not get into this debate all over again. Some fans dont like him no matter what he does. Same with Lewis.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Its what 99% of amatuers would do. But lets not get into this debate all over again. Some fans dont like him no matter what he does. Same with Lewis.

Read my posts. I said Hanlon has been fine this year. I just commented on an instance that another poster mentioned.

Hibs Giant
16-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Maybury was somewhat rubbish not so long ago, so good to hear he's cutting the mustard now.

Brightside
16-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Read my posts. I said Hanlon has been fine this year. I just commented on an instance that another poster mentioned.

and Im disagreeing that 99% of pros would make the foul.

B.H.F.C
16-09-2013, 03:14 PM
and Im disagreeing that 99% of pros would make the foul.

The vast majority of professionals would IMO. Nelson did it in the first half on Saturday. Hasselbaink knocked the ball past him and was running in to the box. Nelson took him out. Didn't even bother looking at the ref because he knew what was coming so just walked back in to position.

FromTheCapital
16-09-2013, 03:24 PM
He had a shaky start to his Hibs career last year and I think that the error for the Driver goal in last year's Edinburgh derby set the tone for some Hibs fans. I've always thought that he would do a job for us and I have been right. Since that day, he's progressively improved and now that he is a coach he will be a great role model for young players such as Fraser Mullen, Jordan Forster etc. Maybury is an excellent pro and I think that right now he should be our first choice right back based on what I saw yesterday and the majority of last season.