PDA

View Full Version : Sagna booking / disallowed goal in Sunderland v Arsenal game

wookie70
14-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Watching the rerun of the Sunderland - Arsenal game. Sagna wrestles with the Sunderland boy who brushes him off and goes onto score. The ref blew up and then books Sagna. Possibly the most obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity ever given he actually scored.

matty_f
14-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Watching the rerun of the Sunderland - Arsenal game. Sagna wrestles with the Sunderland boy who brushes him off and goes onto score. The ref blew up and then books Sagna. Possibly the most obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity ever given he actually scored.

You only get a red if you deny the goal scoring opportunity, which he never, as the boy scored. Yellow card was correct.

wookie70
14-09-2013, 08:32 PM
The ref blew up just after the foul and booked Sagna after awarding the free kick. A second or so of advantage being played would have seen a goal scored.

matty_f
14-09-2013, 08:46 PM
The ref blew up just after the foul and booked Sagna after awarding the free kick. A second or so of advantage being played would have seen a goal scored.

Ah, I thought you meant he booked him after the goal was given. In that case, I agree with you. :agree:

NYHibby
14-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I was at the Sunderland game, and this took place right in front of me. Di Canio was right to be pissed. Sunderland had the momentum for much of the second half and deserved to get the draw.

I heard the new goal review system confirmed that Jozy's goal was good. It kind of defeats the purpose of the system if refs screw up the other calls.

Onceinawhile
14-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Did the ball actually go in? I'm not convinced the defender didn't clear it. Whistle went in plenty time. Altidore should have been booked for kicking the ball away.

Andy74
14-09-2013, 09:49 PM
You only get a red if you deny the goal scoring opportunity, which he never, as the boy scored. Yellow card was correct.

The goal didnt stand so the opportunity to score was denied by the foul.

matty_f
14-09-2013, 09:59 PM
The goal didnt stand so the opportunity to score was denied by the foul.

See my follow-up post. I hadn't seen it and didn't know the result so I thought the player was booked after the goal was given.

NYHibby
14-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Did the ball actually go in? I'm not convinced the defender didn't clear it. Whistle went in plenty time. Altidore should have been booked for kicking the ball away.

Yes, numerous places, including the Arsenal website, are reporting that the goalline technology confirmed the ball went in.

lapsedhibee
14-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Sunderland had the momentum for much of the second half and deserved to get the draw.

They would have deserved a draw if they'd scored five or six in the second half, as they should have been three or four goals down at half time!

Onceinawhile
14-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, numerous places, including the Arsenal website, are reporting that the goalline technology confirmed the ball went in.

Fair enough, they never really covered it on motd.