PDA

View Full Version : Confidence the X factor

down-the-slope
14-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Anyone who does not believe confidence plays a massive part in football should have been at Perth today.

Team lost first goal and a wee bit of hanging heads for a wee while - but with the decent away support continuing to support (or at least not in the main hurling abuse) they dragged themselves back into it.

Second half we were playing reasonably well....BUT when the second went in it was like a switch was flicked - suddenly every player in black was a yard quicker, snapping into tackles, everyone happy to receive the ball, players running off the ball making space and a fair bit of decent play.

Great atmosphere for Zouby to make his debut at just the right time...

Can see Collins and Heffernan making one of those special big guy wee guy partnerships - there were flashes today (even with Collins having poorer first touch than hes shown previous) of them creating the room for the other with both having great workrate.

While there is a long way to go there are signs that make me feel positive.....if only we can get some of that confidence and positivity make its way to ER

bongo'd
14-09-2013, 07:36 PM
This 100%

GreenArmyyy!
14-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Absolutely what I would have written if I hadn't had a drink! Superb post.

lord bunberry
14-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Anyone who does not believe confidence plays a massive part in football should have been at Perth today.

Team lost first goal and a wee bit of hanging heads for a wee while - but with the decent away support continuing to support (or at least not in the main hurling abuse) they dragged themselves back into it.

Second half we were playing reasonably well....BUT when the second went in it was like a switch was flicked - suddenly every player in black was a yard quicker, snapping into tackles, everyone happy to receive the ball, players running off the ball making space and a fair bit of decent play.

Great atmosphere for Zouby to make his debut at just the right time...

Can see Collins and Heffernan making one of those special big guy wee guy partnerships - there were flashes today (even with Collins having poorer first touch than hes shown previous) of them creating the room for the other with both having great workrate.

While there is a long way to go there are signs that make me feel positive.....if only we can get some of that confidence and positivity make its way to ER

I'm sorry but I don't buy into that theory, last home game the fans tried to get right behind the team but the utter dross on the park eventually killed the atmosphere. The team needs to man up and start playing well at easter road, then we will see the fans get behind the team more.

Borderhibbie76
14-09-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry but I don't buy into that theory, last home game the fans tried to get right behind the team but the utter dross on the park eventually killed the atmosphere. The team needs to man up and start playing well at easter road, then we will see the fans get behind the team more.

nonsense, whilst I agree the team need to perform better at home, atmosphere is not great at ER and it does affect the team

lord bunberry
14-09-2013, 08:48 PM
nonsense, whilst I agree the team need to perform better at home, atmosphere is not great at ER and it does affect the team

Why is the atmosphere so bad though?

Miguel
15-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Why is the atmosphere so bad though?
'cause the stadium is too big...
Said it before: until we are playing well enough to get crowds back and adopt a proper pricing structure, we should make more creative use of the space. Get Section 43, or a successor into a concentrated area near the front. Fill seats from the front backwards. Cover empty space with hanging banners of Hibs greats. Think creatively!

SMAXXA
15-09-2013, 12:57 AM
'cause the stadium is too big...
Said it before: until we are playing well enough to get crowds back and adopt a proper pricing structure, we should make more creative use of the space. Get Section 43, or a successor into a concentrated area near the front. Fill seats from the front backwards. Cover empty space with hanging banners of Hibs greats. Think creatively!

:agree: I've said the same for long enough, corden of the back of stands and fill from the front, improve the atmosphere simple

CallumLaidlaw
15-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Links well to this thread - http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?270658-Abuse-of-players-at-ER-(merged)&highlight=Bajillions

God Petrie
15-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Funny how the players seem more comfortable at away games.

Keep ironically cheering substitutions and booing at home games though - seems to work.

marinello59
15-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Funny how the players seem more comfortable at away games.

Keep ironically cheering substitutions and booing at home games though - seems to work.

I actually think our home support has not only held up well in numbers but has backed the players despite the poor football we have seen at ER. Any booing had mainly been confined to the end of matches and it has been directed towards our manager rather than the players.
Ironically cheering substitutions? I think every player who had been subbed this season has received a round of applause as they left the park.
I get the OPs point about confidence and his description of tbe way the players reacted to going ahead is spot on. However My own thoughts are that things would have played out no differently at Easter Road. Atmosphere is dependent on the team and the fans both giving something. Even before the second goal went in the home crowd would have been lifted by that second half performance and reacted just as positively as those who were lucky enough to be at Perth did.
Away supports will always be more vociferous. It's a full day out and a larger percentage will have loosened their inhibitions with a few beers. But better? The long suffering home support have been remarkably patient towards the team, trying to attach blame there is wide of the mark.

lucky
15-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Clearly the players have little confidence playing at ER. Hopefully this result will be carried over into next weeks performance. We've signed a winger that will cause teams problems in the SPL. I'm a bit more optimistic about our season than I was.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Would appear that Bunbury wasn't at the game yesterday #dotnetsweepingstatementtsmiley

CallumLaidlaw
15-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I actually think our home support has not only held up well in numbers but has backed the players despite the poor football we have seen at ER. Any booing had mainly been confined to the end of matches and it has been directed towards our manager rather than the players.
Ironically cheering substitutions? I think every player who had been subbed this season has received a round of applause as they left the park.
I get the OPs point about confidence and his description of tbe way the players reacted to going ahead is spot on. However My own thoughts are that things would have played out no differently at Easter Road. Atmosphere is dependent on the team and the fans both giving something. Even before the second goal went in the home crowd would have been lifted by that second half performance and reacted just as positively as those who were lucky enough to be at Perth did.
Away supports will always be more vociferous. It's a full day out and a larger percentage will have loosened their inhibitions with a few beers. But better? The long suffering home support have been remarkably patient towards the team, trying to attach blame there is wide of the mark.

The substitutions of Vine and Mullen in the Dundee Utd game DEFINITELY got ironic cheering from some areas of the crowd.

lord bunberry
15-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Would appear that Bunbury wasn't at the game yesterday #dotnetsweepingstatementtsmiley

???

Hainan Hibs
15-09-2013, 08:49 AM
If they can't stand the heat they should get the **** out of the kitchen. The performances at ER have been nothing short of an embarrassment and the players have been rightly slated for it.

J-C
15-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Although no individual booing at games but general booing after game finishes, for me if I were a pro footballer, this would make me even more determined to give 100% at home and turn the boos into cheers. I think this is why people question some players ability to play in font of the home support and ask if they are chicken hearted ( something Wotherspoon was accused of ). They now need to step up at home and turn the boos around, the next few weeks will show us if these players have what it takes to get top 3 in this average league.

Hibbyradge
15-09-2013, 11:51 AM
If they can't stand the heat they should get the **** out of the kitchen.

http://prorev.com/CLICHE2.jpg

Thecat23
15-09-2013, 12:06 PM
It's actually pretty simple. When you have flare players the fans get off their seat and the atmosphere improves. We haven't had one in years. Zoubir could be one though.

The way football has been getting played it drains the fans. It's not our fault, just look at Malmo game. Place was packed and buzzing and the anti football killed it. A change in attitude and style is needed. With the new signings now in place it's time Hibs started getting the crowd behind them by playing to win. I'm more confident after this window if I'm honest so I'll be right behind the team.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2013, 02:00 PM
It's actually pretty simple. When you have flare players the fans get off their seat and the atmosphere improves. We haven't had one in years. Zoubir could be one though.

The way football has been getting played it drains the fans. It's not our fault, just look at Malmo game. Place was packed and buzzing and the anti football killed it. A change in attitude and style is needed. With the new signings now in place it's time Hibs started getting the crowd behind them by playing to win. I'm more confident after this window if I'm honest so I'll be right behind the team.

This 100%, some folk would have you believe we have fans who are only at the game to boo the team. I have stopped making the effort to get down to easter road because I was completely bored with what is on offer.

Golden Bear
15-09-2013, 02:06 PM
This 100%, some folk would have you believe we have fans who are only at the game to boo the team. I have stopped making the effort to get down to easter road because I was completely bored with what is on offer.

Yip, I'm the same. The turgid football and lack of entertainment has put me off from attending for now but at least I can't be accused of booing the wee lambs if they fail to perform.

basehibby
15-09-2013, 03:44 PM

:agree: I agree with this. I've often taken issue with idiots shouting abuse at individual players - sometimes at risk to my own physical safety - but I can honestly say that I haven't heard anything to take issue with in that respect this season. Obviously just because I've not encountered it doesn't mean it's not happening somewhere in the ground, but in my opinion the vast majority of fans have been very patient and supportive of the team considering the dire home form which has been the norm for most of this year.

The fans have a role to play in creating a good atmosphere certainly, but the relationship is symbiotic and if the team on the park regularly doesn't play their part then they should be thankful that the more vocal elements of the support leave it to the end of the match to let their feelings be known.

marinello59
15-09-2013, 03:50 PM
The substitutions of Vine and Mullen in the Dundee Utd game DEFINITELY got ironic cheering from some areas of the crowd.

My point is though that the vast majority of home fans have been very supportive of the team during matches. I don't get the away fans good, home fans bad justification for the poor home performances. They have been down to the manager and the players.

Saorsa
15-09-2013, 04:00 PM
My point is though that the vast majority of home fans have been very supportive of the team during matches. I don't get the away fans good, home fans bad justification for the poor home performances. They have been down to the manager and the players.Correct :top marks There may be a few mair idiots there but that's because there's mair people there, they're still a minority though. I only go tae hames games these days and these posts about away supports/supporters being better than hame supports/supporters get right on my tits. I think as a support we have been very tolerant considering the guff we've had tae put up with for years, they should consider themselves lucky so many people still turn up tae watch it.

jdships
15-09-2013, 04:04 PM

Sorry but you should speak to any sportsman/woman and they will tell you one of the most important facets surrounding them is personal confidence
It stems from results and a coach who can instill belief in their ability

:aok:

lord bunberry
15-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Sorry but you should speak to any sportsman/woman and they will tell you one of the most important facets surrounding them is personal confidence
It stems from results and a coach who can instill belief in their ability

:aok:
I'm not really disagreeing with that, I'm saying that the fans have been trying to get behind the team at the start of games, but the atmosphere is being killed by the quality of the football we're watching. I feel it's mostly one way traffic at easter road just now, we turn up and support the team, but get nothing in return.

GlenrothesHibee
15-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Sharon makes all the difference imo

Northernhibee
15-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Sharon makes all the difference imo

If we play 'You Raise Me Up' everytime we score the players might feel like they've made boot camp week.

jabis
15-09-2013, 06:25 PM

good man,keep it up,pint in the post :greengrin

jabis
15-09-2013, 06:35 PM

:talkh:.......4 games unbeaten,shored up at the back,strikers scoring finally.....................:cb

come back,the world is a better place :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2013, 11:08 PM
:talkh:.......4 games unbeaten,shored up at the back,strikers scoring finally.....................:cb

come back,the world is a better place :greengrin

As a self confessed glory hunter, i could be there on Saturday. :greengrin