PDA

View Full Version : Fenlon Got His Tactics Spot On

Dashing Bob S
14-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Well done Pat, for establishing that the doubters know nothing! People have to remember that PF spends time with the players and he knows what they can and cannot do - so congratulations to him for sticking to his guns and proving the ignorant, ill-informed posters on this board wrong.

If I could make one criticism of Pat however, I'd say that I'm not sure if this merits a separate thread.

lord bunberry
14-09-2013, 04:59 PM
He rightly takes the flak when we play badly, so he deserves the credit when we win. If we can go on a good run of results from here I will be delighted.

Keith_M
14-09-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm happy to say here and now that I have no problem whatsoever if Pat Fenlon proves me wrong and Hibs start playing consistently good football.

Onwards and...(?)

...over to you, Pat and the boys :wink:

Pretty Boy
14-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm happy to say here and now that I have no problem whatsoever if Pat Fenlon proves me wrong and Hibs start playing consistently good football.

Onwards and...(?)

...over to you, Pat and the boys :wink:

This.

I've been a massive critic of PF and, to an extent, rightly so. Obviously the best thing for all concerned is that he proves he is the man for the job. That's now up to him and his players.

Saorsa
14-09-2013, 05:08 PM
He rightly takes the flak when we play badly, so he deserves the credit when we win. If we can go on a good run of results from here I will be delighted.:agree: Correct, I still have many doubts about him but as long as He's here I hope He gets hibs winning and playing decent fitba. I dinnae mind being wrong, if that happens, why would anybody? Hibs doing well is all that matters.

Petrie on the other hand can still GTF.

Treadstone
14-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Me too. I was actually quite enthused by his Hibernian TV interview (the 5 minute one on Youtube). Seemed to have dropped all the cliches we'd rather not hear and was more pragmatic. Hope it signals a change of fortune for club and manager. Well done Pat on todays win.

lord bunberry
14-09-2013, 05:15 PM
:agree: Correct, I still have many doubts about him but as long as He's here I hope He gets hibs winning and playing decent fitba. I dinnae mind being wrong, if that happens, why would anybody? Hibs doing well is all that matters.

True, the best thing that could happen is for fenlon to be the man for the job. I still have my doubts but would love to be proved wrong.

Ozyhibby
14-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Doubt there is a single Hibs fan out there who doesn't want Pat to turn it round. Let's hope today is the start.
C'mon the Hibs.

stoneyburn hibs
14-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Me too. I was actually quite enthused by his Hibernian TV interview (the 5 minute one on Youtube). Seemed to have dropped all the cliches we'd rather not hear and was more pragmatic. Hope it signals a change of fortune for club and manager. Well done Pat on todays win.

Plus one, hopefully I'm entertained when I take my seat next week.
Bit concerned that the OP has ADD though.

Pete
14-09-2013, 05:18 PM
:agree: Correct, I still have many doubts about him but as long as He's here I hope He gets hibs winning and playing decent fitba. I dinnae mind being wrong, if that happens, why would anybody? Hibs doing well is all that matters.

If hibs are doing well and Pat turns out to be a good appointment would you still want rid of Petrie?

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2013, 05:19 PM
If i'm going to slate the man when his team have lost, its only fair to give him credit when we win. Well done Pat. :top marks

Bobby's Cinema
14-09-2013, 05:21 PM
If i'm going to slate the man when his team have lost, its only fair to give him credit when we win. Well done Pat. :top marks

Agreed. What a difference second half. Enjoyable trip

GlenrothesHibee
14-09-2013, 05:21 PM
He was spot on today. Got tactics right and made the correct change when Stevenson went off. Credit where its due

Saorsa
14-09-2013, 05:25 PM
If hibs are doing well and Pat turns out to be a good appointment would you still want rid of Petrie?Colin Deadwood should have been his last **** up, on top of all the **** ups before. IMO he is the one who is and has been ultimately responsible for the pish and decline in the last six years. My opinion of him since Deadwood hasnae and winnae change nae matter what happens. Anyway I'll say nae mair about him on this thread, dinnae want it going off topic or having folk moaning about it.

clerriehibs
14-09-2013, 05:28 PM

So, you're saying that if Pat does indeed turn out to be the man, then Petrie can GTF despite appointing the right manager and despite doing it while keeping the club in a very solid financial position. Aye, OK then.

Stringer
14-09-2013, 05:30 PM
If the team get top 4 then Pat should stay. The fans won't forget the Malmo disaster easily.

Saorsa
14-09-2013, 05:35 PM
So, you're saying that if Pat does indeed turn out to be the man, then Petrie can GTF despite appointing the right manager and despite doing it while keeping the club in a very solid financial position. Aye, OK then.:tumble:

Pete
14-09-2013, 05:35 PM
If the team get top 4 then Pat should stay. The fans won't forget the Malmo disaster easily.

What group of fans are you speaking for.

Personally, I've forgotten about it already. Pre-season as far as I'm concerned.

Hibercelona
14-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Never doubted Pat once.

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2013, 05:41 PM
for the first time imo he finally got the subs(and the timing of them) right, i thought we were pretty rank the first half, passing was very poor....then a pretty good 2nd half, players actually looking for the pass and moving in to spaces and with just a little more luck we could have had another two, i've always gave tom taiwo credit for his performances in the past but he was p@sh in that 1st half(imo) good 3 points :flag:

Number69
14-09-2013, 05:44 PM
If we can play for 90 minutes the way we played the last half then fair enough but we were terrible in the first half and Alan Maybury is still pretendin to be a right back.

Thecat23
14-09-2013, 05:46 PM
What group of fans are you speaking for.

Personally, I've forgotten about it already. Pre-season as far as I'm concerned.

You have forgotten the worst European result in our history and in fact Scotland's history. Really? Also saying its a pre season is a ridiculous post. Lets just bin going for Europe then aye as its just pre season.

Back Pat and Hibs but come on dont come out with that *****.

Andy74
14-09-2013, 05:47 PM
First half wasn't great. Thomson tends to slow things a bit and we looked tentative getting it forward.

Second half was great. Some nice stuff between Collins and Heff. The French boy looks like he can dribble and go past players for fun!

SunshineOnLeith
14-09-2013, 05:47 PM
for the first time imo he finally got the subs(and the timing of them) right, i thought we were pretty rank the first half, passing was very poor....then a pretty good 2nd half, players actually looking for the pass and moving in to spaces and with just a little more luck we could have had another two, i've always gave tom taiwo credit for his performances in the past but he was p@sh in that 1st half(imo) good 3 points :flag:

He certainly didn't get the last sub right. Scott Robertson had just pulled up injured and signalled that he needed off, and was actually walking towards the bench assuming his number was up only to be sent limping back to the right flank.

Not being overly critical today because we won and probably shaded the game as a contest, but I was worried for those last couple of minutes because Robertson was struggling. Luckily Wotherspoon was too rubbish to capitalise.

cad
14-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Well done to Pat and the players good 3 points and a cracking 2nd half performance

Mon the cabbage :flag::flag::scarf:

cabbageandribs1875
14-09-2013, 05:51 PM
He certainly didn't get the last sub right. Scott Robertson had just pulled up injured and signalled that he needed off, and was actually walking towards the bench assuming his number was up only to be sent limping back to the right flank.

Not being overly critical today because we won and probably shaded the game as a contest, but I was worried for those last couple of minutes because Robertson was struggling. Luckily Wotherspoon was too rubbish to capitalise.

you are of course correct :agree: but in my defence, it was quite a while ago :)

147lothian
14-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I have never been a critic of Fenlon's, I think a lot of the flak he got was way over the top, when Fenlon has a full squad to pick from it will show that he has brought in the right type of players for the money that has been made available to him, Petrie on the other hand can gtf

Hedlund12
Doubt there is a single Hibs fan out there who doesn't want Pat to turn it round. Let's hope today is the start.
C'mon the Hibs.

Agreed...well done Hibs and PF today encouraging signs hope it lasts...

Dunderhall
Well done Pat and the boys today, a great 3 points.

Any chance we can have a decent first and second half performance as the next indication of progress.

LaMotta
14-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Well done Pat, for establishing that the doubters know nothing! People have to remember that PF spends time with the players and he knows what they can and cannot do - so congratulations to him for sticking to his guns and proving the ignorant, ill-informed posters on this board wrong.

If I could make one criticism of Pat however, I'd say that I'm not sure if this merits a separate thread.

:tee hee:

Silversand
14-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Lovin' your work Bob. :wink:

Thecat23
14-09-2013, 06:24 PM
First half wasn't great. Thomson tends to slow things a bit and we looked tentative getting it forward.

Second half was great. Some nice stuff between Collins and Heff. The French boy looks like he can dribble and go past players for fun!

Told you he could ;)

Carheenlea
14-09-2013, 06:38 PM
The first half was a follow on from where we left off against Ross County, but the second half was a much improved spectacle. Really enjoyed it today. Notice that Pat kept his distance from the fans at the end. Usually following a win, particularly away from home, he liked to make a show of acknowledging the fans, but this afternoon it was a more restrained brief applause in our direction before heading down the tunnel. After some of the venom directed at him in recent times from the support, it is probably understandable.

tamig
14-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I have never been a critic of Fenlon's, I think a lot of the flak he got was way over the top, when Fenlon has a full squad to pick from it will show that he has brought in the right type of players for the money that has been made available to him, Petrie on the other hand can gtf

Mmm. Does the fact that he got a decent budget to bring the right type of players in not suggest that RP has got something right?

down-the-slope
14-09-2013, 06:59 PM

:faint: I was just about to call the medics...thought you had finally flipped........then I saw last line :greengrin.....

lucky
14-09-2013, 07:00 PM
The second half was the best we have played this season. So credit to Pat. Well gets the blame when we are crap

joe breezy
14-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Down with separate threads!

Saorsa
14-09-2013, 07:28 PM
:faint: I was just about to call the medics...thought you had finally flipped........then I saw last line :greengrin.....:tee hee:

Chump
14-09-2013, 07:29 PM

I knew someone would come out with this type of statement following a win - I'm as delighted as the next Hibs fan with the win but my opinion of his abilities to take Hibs to the next level won't change following 3 pts against a rank average SPL team.

The 'doubters' as you call us have had atrocious results, appalling performances and terrible statistics to back up our opinions over 2 years. We go to the games and watch some horrible, negative football and as far as I'm concerned that's all I need to make an 'informed' decision.

Stewboy
14-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I have said over a couple of threads that PF does pretty well tactically away from home. It's the home tactics he struggles with

Here's hoping he finds something for ER

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I knew someone would come out with this type of statement following a win - I'm as delighted as the next Hibs fan with the win but my opinion of his abilities to take Hibs to the next level won't change following 3 pts against a rank average SPL team.

The 'doubters' as you call us have had atrocious results, appalling performances and terrible statistics to back up our opinions over 2 years. We go to the games and watch some horrible, negative football and as far as I'm concerned that's all I need to make an 'informed' decision.

Chump, yes i think you are. :tee hee:

Jonnyboy
14-09-2013, 08:46 PM
If we can play for 90 minutes the way we played the last half then fair enough but we were terrible in the first half and Alan Maybury is still pretendin to be a right back.

Aye Maybury was that bad, Hasselbank got subbed cos he never got past Maybury once

Don't faint Andy but I agree with every word :greengrin

Here we go again. Killie were crap so we beat them, SJ were rank average.

News flash - with the possible exception of Celtic the whole of the SPL is rank average

Personally, I'm happy if we beat rank average opposition

jabis
14-09-2013, 08:48 PM

that's big of you :rolleyes::na na:

matty_f
14-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Aye Maybury was that bad, Hasselbank got subbed cos he never got past Maybury once

Don't faint Andy but I agree with every word :greengrin

Here we go again. Killie were crap so we beat them, SJ were rank average.

News flash - with the possible exception of Celtic the whole of the SPL is rank average

Personally, I'm happy if we beat rank average opposition

To be fair, this is the same 'rank average' team that the Scottish media were creaming themselves over in between ripping us for the respective European performances.
Pat got a good result today.

Jonnyboy
14-09-2013, 08:53 PM
To be fair, this is the same 'rank average' team that the Scottish media were creaming themselves over in between ripping us for the respective European performances.

Agreed Matty and he deserves praise for it. Unfortunately some folk cannae even give it grudgingly

jabis
14-09-2013, 08:55 PM

the problem.

support the team,as you seem to be the type of "fan" who prefers to heap abuse on the on the players.......YOU and your type are the reason we have a ****** home record :aok:(irony):rolleyes:

marinello59
14-09-2013, 08:57 PM

He did get a good result today . The subtle changes he made at half time worked. Well done to him. We now have something to build on.

Andy74
14-09-2013, 09:38 PM

Not just the media. St Johnstone were being held up as a team that were miles ahead of us just a few weeks ago.

down-the-slope
14-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Not just the media. St Johnstone were being held up as a team that were miles ahead of us just a few weeks ago.
They havent lost at home in the league since...........eh we beat them last season :greengrin

essexhibee
14-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Refreshing to hear that Pats tactics worked. Always been dubious as to the tactics of Fenlon and thinking he's out of his depth. We have one of the better squads outside Celtic in the league and if pat gets the tactics right we can go places.

Pleasing to here well done pat.

Pete
14-09-2013, 10:05 PM
You have forgotten the worst European result in our history and in fact Scotland's history. Really? Also saying its a pre season is a ridiculous post. Lets just bin going for Europe then aye as its just pre season.

Back Pat and Hibs but come on dont come out with that *****.

Ok then. I'll dwell on it, wallow in self-pity and self-deprecation. It's quite funny how some people almost get annoyed when you don't share their negative point of view.

It's not ridiculous at all to consider it pre season. You'd better tell all the players and the manager who have also been quoted as saying the same that they are somehow in the wrong for not sharing your point of view.

Some might say you are taking the result to heart too much but that's up to you and I wouldn't have the nerve to tell you how to think or what to post.:cool2:

Golden Bear
14-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Absolutely delighted with the victory so well done to the team and the manager.

Hopefully today heralds the beginning of a new enterprising style of play and the ability to put the opposition under periods of sustained pressure.

We've won todays battle so we can only hope that the resultant confidence will lead to more consistency.

Only time will tell .

Tyler Durden
14-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Ok then. I'll dwell on it, wallow in self-pity and self-deprecation. It's quite funny how some people almost get annoyed when you don't share their negative point of view.

It's not ridiculous at all to consider it pre season. You'd better tell all the players and the manager who have also been quoted as saying the same that they are somehow in the wrong for not sharing your point of view.

Some might say you are taking the result to heart too much but that's up to you and I wouldn't have the nerve to tell you how to think or what to post.:cool2:

Eh no, it's European competition - very clearly not pre season. Can you point us to these quotes from the players and manager?

Anyway credit to Fenlon today, 100% record outside Edinburgh maintained! If we can win next week we'll have some real momentum. I have generally been impressed with the players he signs, if not how he eventually uses them. If we can keep Nelson, Craig, Robertson, Thomson, Heffernan fit most weeks and get the likes of McGivern, McPake and Cairney back we have a really strong SPL squad with great experience.

Fenlon will get a lot of doubters off his back by simply going for wins more clearly. The starting line up today was much better and hopefully we see more attacking threat with Zoubir coming in. We should not be losing with a whimper like the first 2 games of this domestic season.

Chump
15-09-2013, 08:13 AM
the problem.

support the team,as you seem to be the type of "fan" who prefers to heap abuse on the on the players.......YOU and your type are the reason we have a ****** home record :aok:(irony):rolleyes:

Explain how this is the problem - I have an opinion and it's either a) he doesn't cut it as Hibs manager or b) he is up to the task

As far as I'm concerned the realistic task is a) dominating the battle with the yams given their demise and b) being second in Scotland to Celtic - PF IMO is not up to it. It is that simple for me. And the hibs.net is the mechanism for me voicing my opinion.

As for me 'and my like' being the problem for the home results.....stop talking utter drivel. I do support the team in the only way I can and go to the matches and buy the strips. You are making an assumption that I go to the matches, and like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth, shout obscenities at the team and manager which is just nonsense.

Explain to me how you behave whilst watching absolute garbage at home - do you sit there singing and praising the players consistently or do you get annoyed and ocassionally vent your frustrations....thought so!!

I'll reiterate my point.....stop talking drivel

hibee316
15-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Explain how this is the problem - I have an opinion and it's either a) he doesn't cut it as Hibs manager or b) he is up to the task

As far as I'm concerned the realistic task is a) dominating the battle with the yams given their demise and b) being second in Scotland to Celtic - PF IMO is not up to it. It is that simple for me. And the hibs.net is the mechanism for me voicing my opinion.

As for me 'and my like' being the problem for the home results.....stop talking utter drivel. I do support the team in the only way I can and go to the matches and buy the strips. You are making an assumption that I go to the matches, and like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth, shout obscenities at the team and manager which is just nonsense.

Explain to me how you behave whilst watching absolute garbage at home - do you sit there singing and praising the players consistently or do you get annoyed and ocassionally vent your frustrations....thought so!!

I'll reiterate my point.....stop talking drivel

Ach. Give it a rest for a while! We won, we played better.

So even if PF is going to be sacked it isnt going to be this week is it?

Making your post pointlessly negative, or drivel if you will :)

Gustavo Fring
15-09-2013, 09:15 AM
well done pat . mcdiarmid has proven to be a difficult place for anyone to win so credit where it due its a great result . good to see the strikers both get a goal and looks like we had alot of the ball and did alot of attacking

hopefully they keep it up against st mirren and take another 3 points next week

GreenArmyyy!
15-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Par deserves a lot of credit for yesterday's result, tactics were good, brought Zoubir on at a time when Saints legs were tiring and they knew nothing about him, well played.

J-C
15-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Well done to Pat and the team for a much needed win, I'm still not overly convinced he's the right man but will support the team anyway. As someone mentioned he's still learning about us and Scottish football and if he learns from his mistakes then all's good, so lets hope does learn from them, hopefully having Nicholl as his right hand man will make a difference.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2013, 09:58 AM
that's big of you :rolleyes::na na:

I know it is, i'm glad you cant see my gritted teeth. :wink: I have no problem handing out praise to anyone when they get it right, after all i wish i was doing it every week. :na na:

Chump
15-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Ach. Give it a rest for a while! We won, we played better.

So even if PF is going to be sacked it isnt going to be this week is it?

Making your post pointlessly negative, or drivel if you will :)

:na na:

jgl07
15-09-2013, 10:58 AM
I have said over a couple of threads that PF does pretty well tactically away from home. It's the home tactics he struggles with

Maybe there is another factor. Hibs have played two SPFL matches outside of Edinburgh and won both. They have played four in Edinburgh and drawn two and lost two.

Maybe in the matches away from Edinburgh and away from the 'boo boys' are easier for the players to cope with.

The Dundee United match was an example of this. The crowd were very negative for much of the match and the players reacted. Then after the sending off incident, the crowd got behind the team. The transformation on the field was amazing.

The negativity of many both at Easter Road and on here is really depressing. I was away for the Ross County match and intended to follow the live thread on here. I gave up after ten minutes because no-one was actually posting anything about the match apart from moaning and whining about Pat Fenlon, Rod Petrie, Rowan Vine etc.

From the matches I have seen this season, apart from Malmoe at home, there didn't look too much wrong with the team apart from the absence of a goal scorer. This was hardly suprising as the three top scorers from last season are away. Now that Collins is beginning to settle in and Hefferenen has arrived, I hope that issue is now solved.

lord bunberry
15-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Maybe there is another factor. Hibs have played two SPFL matches outside of Edinburgh and won both. They have played four in Edinburgh and drawn two and lost two.

Maybe in the matches away from Edinburgh and away from the 'boo boys' are easier for the players to cope with.

The Dundee United match was an example of this. The crowd were very negative for much of the match and the players reacted. Then after the sending off incident, the crowd got behind the team. The transformation on the field was amazing.

The negativity of many both at Easter Road and on here is really depressing. I was away for the Ross County match and intended to follow the live thread on here. I gave up after ten minutes because no-one was actually posting anything about the match apart from moaning and whining about Pat Fenlon, Rod Petrie, Rowan Vine etc.

From the matches I have seen this season, apart from Malmoe at home, there didn't look too much wrong with the team apart from the absence of a goal scorer. This was hardly suprising as the three top scorers from last season are away. Now that Collins is beginning to settle in and Hefferenen has arrived, I hope that issue is now solved.
Were the boo boys out in force at the pbs? Were they out in force against ross county? Whatever problems we have at the moment have nothing to do with the supporters.

SaulGoodman
15-09-2013, 11:05 AM

They've not lost a game at home for almost a year, hammered us for most of last season, got into Europe, done much better than us in Europe.

But now that we've beat them they're "rank average"? Get a grip.

Thecat23
15-09-2013, 11:13 AM

I'm not being negative though. Read my other comments as I'm delighted we won and Pat deserves the credit for when we do win. Not fair to slate him when we're winning. I'd also love it for it to continue.

My post was about you just dismissing the Europa cup as if it were nothing. Or in your words "pre season friendly" surely you can admit that's bollocks? Yes I did take the score to heart what Hibs fan didn't? Battered and embarrassed 0-7 at home in Europe is shocking. What Pat can do though is keep winning games and show he can entertain us. That will prove me wrong and I'll gladly admit it. Please just don't try and act like that score line didnt matter because it did, the attendances show it.

exHIBition
15-09-2013, 11:15 AM
I've read on here that PF is not up to 'it'. Can somebody give an indication of what 'it' actually is? What are the standards of 'it'? What results must a manager get to be up to 'it'?

I'm not having a go at anybody I am just curious to see what people view 'it' as.

blackpoolhibs
15-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Yet again its the fans who are to blame when we lose. :faf: we must have been doing some booing over the last few years eh? :rolleyes:

lord bunberry
15-09-2013, 11:22 AM
I've read on here that PF is not up to 'it'. Can somebody give an indication of what 'it' actually is? What are the standards of 'it'? What results must a manager get to be up to 'it'?

I'm not having a go at anybody I am just curious to see what people view 'it' as.

For me it is playing entertaining football and having us challenging up the top end of the league.

Thecat23
15-09-2013, 11:24 AM

I think (my opinion anyway) is Pat came from a part time league and its very different to the SPFL. He's struggled to adapt whether its regarding tactics or training. What I will say though is since Jimmy Nicholl has arrived the boys are finding training much better. I think having a good number two beside him could make quite a difference. LOB was sour faced who just liked to shout and point, even in training.

Hope this kind of helps with your question?!

Stewboy
15-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't think it is the fans at home which is the issue, it's the fact that away teams sit back and we don't have the creativity to break them down

United was different as losing there centre half screwed up there shape more than it did ours losing KT

basehibby
15-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think it is the fans at home which is the issue, it's the fact that away teams sit back and we don't have the creativity to break them down

United was different as losing there centre half screwed up there shape more than it did ours losing KT

:agree: This was the case for much of last season and, without the mercurial talents of Griffiths to fall back on, has been even more of a problem at the start of this one.

Hopefully the additions of Zoubir and Heffernan together with the returns of Crainey and Harris will give us the ability to unlock stuffy defences at ER now.

As for the support - they definately CAN make a difference both positively and negatively. From what I've seen this season though, despite a groundswell of opinion against the manager, there has been little barracking of the team from the stands for the 90mins and this is to the credit of the Hibs support as a whole.