PDA

View Full Version : NHC - Partick Thistle pleased to be continuing free for under 16s policy

joe breezy
12-09-2013, 07:46 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24056581#asset

LancashireHibby
12-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Good on them. Seem to be taking some decent support with them to away games as well.

GreenOnions
12-09-2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24056581#asset

What a breath of fresh air! I can't believe I've just heard a senior employee at a football club talking such sense.

Football in Scotland is in crisis in some obvious ways and also in some less obvious ways and I believe that other countries are following.

The trend is for more and more people to watch football on television with brand/club loyalty outside the top clubs declining.

That leaves individual clubs in an increasingly volatile business environment. Periods of success might bring increased crowds but under-achievement implies half-empty stadia with an ever-decreasing "core" support. More football supporters may feel less attachment to one particular club and may be quite happy to "switch off" their allegiance - or even simply "switch" to a more successful/glamorous club - perhaps one that isn't even in our country.

Clubs have to understand that the thing that makes football different from other things on which people spend money is the attachment felt by supporters to their club. This can only be achieved IMHO through regular attendance at games - particularly at an early age. This is the only thing that makes us "get the bug" and become true/loyal supporters. TV viewing leads to low levels of attachment in my opinion and clubs must not allow themselves to be seduced by the idea that TV revenues are a viable long term substitute for a strong level of attachment from a healthy "core support".

We must find ways to maintain and even increase our core support rather than rely on other forms of revenue that can dry up us quickly as it takes for someone to say "Barcelona are on the telly". Well done Thistle!

joe breezy
13-09-2013, 07:21 AM
What a breath of fresh air! I can't believe I've just heard a senior employee at a football club talking such sense.

Football in Scotland is in crisis in some obvious ways and also in some less obvious ways and I believe that other countries are following.

The trend is for more and more people to watch football on television with brand/club loyalty outside the top clubs declining.

That leaves individual clubs in an increasingly volatile business environment. Periods of success might bring increased crowds but under-achievement implies half-empty stadia with an ever-decreasing "core" support. More football supporters may feel less attachment to one particular club and may be quite happy to "switch off" their allegiance - or even simply "switch" to a more successful/glamorous club - perhaps one that isn't even in our country.

Clubs have to understand that the thing that makes football different from other things on which people spend money is the attachment felt by supporters to their club. This can only be achieved IMHO through regular attendance at games - particularly at an early age. This is the only thing that makes us "get the bug" and become true/loyal supporters. TV viewing leads to low levels of attachment in my opinion and clubs must not allow themselves to be seduced by the idea that TV revenues are a viable long term substitute for a strong level of attachment from a healthy "core support".

We must find ways to maintain and even increase our core support rather than rely on other forms of revenue that can dry up us quickly as it takes for someone to say "Barcelona are on the telly". Well done Thistle!

Totally agree - get the kids in and get them into the habit..,

bingo70
13-09-2013, 07:50 AM

I agree but I do think its a tough one for the clubs, most fans want cheaper tickets for them, now a precedent has been set with free for under 16s yet fans still want clubs to compete with English clubs for signings.

I totally get that It's good for the long term doing this but short term who picks up the shortfall?

marinello59
13-09-2013, 08:09 AM
I agree but I do think its a tough one for the clubs, most fans want cheaper tickets for them, now a precedent has been set with free for under 16s yet fans still want clubs to compete with English clubs for signings.

I totally get that It's good for the long term doing this but short term who picks up the shortfall?

Students. Scrap their cheap deals.:devil: :offski:

Islington Hibs
13-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Great post. It is sad but schoolchildren all support ManU or the like. It has become a consumer product like baked beans nicely packaged but not very interesting and bland. Give me the boy til 7 and I'll give you the man as someone once said.

wookie70
13-09-2013, 08:15 AM
well done Thistle. bigger crowds lead to more spectacle and in the long run they will win more adult supporters with this strategy. I am going to Perth on Saturday as it is only 15 quid for me and my two kids. If the Partick deal applies to away fans I will go there to. St Johnstone will be 15 quid richer as I wouldn't have attended at full price

linlithgowhibbie
13-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Can we sign that man???:agree:

GreenOnions
13-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Yep - I understand this point very well. I also know that Hibs would say that they already make it very cheap for kids to attend games - if they and their parent buy season tickets. It would be really interesting though if some surveys were done.

Do we know how much revenue we would actually forgo if under 16s who currently attend and pay were allowed in for free instead?

If we're actually already offering such cheap deals for them would this figure be so large?

Info on season ticket holders could be collated easily enough but do we have dates of birth etc for all those who buy tickets for individual matches? Possibly we do?

This would provide factual information about the potential revenue forgone. The only question would be about how much new revenue might such a move generate? i.e. Parents who wouldn't normally do so begin to attend games or even, perhaps, buy a season ticket because they know they can take their kids for free?

I think there will be quite a number in this category. It's not always easy to justify to one's family attending a football game on a weekend afternoon when you're not taking the kids. Perhaps it's not even feasible for some?

marinello59
13-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Yep - I understand this point very well. I also know that Hibs would say that they already make it very cheap for kids to attend games - if they and their parent buy season tickets. It would be really interesting though if some surveys were done.

Do we know how much revenue we would actually forgo if under 16s who currently attend and pay were allowed in for free instead?
If we're actually already offering such cheap deals for them would this figure be so large?

Info on season ticket holders could be collated easily enough but do we have dates of birth etc for all those who buy tickets for individual matches? Possibly we do?

This would provide factual information about the potential revenue forgone. The only question would be about how much new revenue might such a move generate? i.e. Parents who wouldn't normally do so begin to attend games or even, perhaps, buy a season ticket because they know they can take their kids for free?

I think there will be quite a number in this category. It's not always easy to justify to one's family attending a football game on a weekend afternoon when you're not taking the kids. Perhaps it's not even feasible for some?

That will vary greatly from club to club and each one will be well aware how making all under 16's free will cost them. We criticise the club for being run by accountants but I can't believe that they won't have done the sums on this one and weighed up the risk of lost revenue against potential benefit.
FWIW I think Hibs have the kids ST prices at a decent level. It's a pity the fitba is so off putting when we get them there.

HH81
13-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I agree but I do think its a tough one for the clubs,

My local rugby team are doing this for 5 years. I asked the chairman how? he explained that its all down to sponsors. We give away free season tickets and the company names are on them and around the ground.

The club worked out how much they had got through the gates in the previous 5 years and the sponsors made up the difference. I accept its on a smaller scale than Hibs.

joe breezy
13-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Our stadium sits half empty when we play. I can't help feel there would be long term financial benefits even more so with Hibs than the Jags

Andy74
13-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Our stadium sits half empty when we play. I can't help feel there would be long term financial benefits even more so with Hibs than the Jags

As noted above its a bit of a balancing act for us. We do make season tickets quite cheap for kids and we have an excellent Hibs Kids offering that now gives more than quarter of the home games for free.

Concession tickets make up a big chunk of our season ticket totals and if we went too far with free or cheap tickets we are reducing income. Those that are more than happy to pay would now be getting stuff free.

We also give ticets away to schools but again I know its limited so it doesnt put off those who were willing to put their money in.

marinello59
13-09-2013, 09:36 AM

It's half empty because the fitba is *****.
I do agree there are benefits in getting more kids in but there are factors other than cost at work here as well.

Andy74
13-09-2013, 09:38 AM
It's half empty because the fitba is *****.
I do agree there are benefits in getting more kids in but there are factors other than cost at work here as well.

It's half empty becuase it's big as well. There's been very few periods when our crowds have been all that much bigger than now.