PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick

Bronson
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
... Which would you choose:

Scotland to win the world cup v england in the final
or
Hibs to win the league and scottish cup double, beating hearts in the final 7-0.

Would have put in a poll but I'm still new to this and don't know how to:greengrin

Mon Dieu4
12-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Id take Hibs beating anyone 1-0 and winning the Scottish Cup rather than Scotland winning the world cup to very honest

TamHibs
12-09-2013, 03:32 PM

or
Hibs to win the league and scottish cup double, beating hearts in the final 7-0.

Would have put in a poll but I'm still new to this and don't know how to:greengrin

Hibs.

Every. Day. Of. The. Week.

Pretty Boy
12-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Hibs.

Not even a contest for me.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Tough one but id go with Hibs.

Still say to this day though seeing scotland beat england 1-0 at wembley in 99' was easily the best game ive ever been at, atmosphere wise, build up and just generally a good day. Ive no shame in chosing that over games like the 6-2 win, skol cup final, skol cup semi, first win at tynie in years, cis cup final and a few more.

Crossgates Hibs
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM

or

Hibs even just the league cup against anyone

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Hibs winning anything before Scotland for me. If someone said Hibs winning the SC 1-0 meant Scotland lost 7-0 to England. I'd pick Hibs every time.

stu in nottingham
12-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Much though it in some ways pains me to say, living in England, I'd take the long-term bragging rights of a nice little win by Scotland over England in the World Cup Final.

That would be immense - every day of my life.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM
World Cup for me. I doubt it wouldve been the same answer 10-20 years ago, but, there you have it.

B.H.F.C
12-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Not even a question as far as I'm concerned. If Hibs won the Scottish and it meant Scotland never won a game ever again then I'd still die a happy man.

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
If you ask me, International football isn't like it was. With the Champions League format top players play against each other every year. Not like Scotland games where it's the odd game. It doesn't have the same appeal like it used to have in say even the 80's. just look at the pull outs of players over the years.

Bit off topic I know, but Champions League has more appeal to most footballers than playing for there country. That's only my opinion mind.

Judas Iscariot
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Hibs
Every
Single
Time

One Day
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Hibs winning anything before Scotland for me. If someone said Hibs winning the SC 1-0 meant Scotland lost 7-0 to England. I'd pick Hibs every time.

Me too

Bronson
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd have hibs to win any cup too seeing as international football means nothing to me now, haven't looked forward to a scotland game since mcfadden was in his prime.

However having that over the auld enemy would be oh so sweet.

Hibs for me every time though.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
If you ask me, International football isn't like it was. With the Champions League format top players play against each other every year. Not like Scotland games where it's the odd game. It doesn't have the same appeal like it used to have in say even the 80's. just look at the pull outs of players over the years.

Bit off topic I know, but Champions League has more appeal to most footballers than playing for there country. That's only my opinion mind.

disagree completely. tell that to the lads that played for scotland the other night. some off whom will feature in this seasons champions league, bottom of the group, fighting together for a win and to scrape themselves off the bottom of the group for the sake of the country and the fans that made the journey.

Broken Gnome
12-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Hibs, just because of the emotional investment of winning the cup is so big, whereas winning the Euros or World Cup isn't remotely thinkable.

Arguably be a more difficult decision just compare it to Scotland qualifying for a knockout stage, at least that was semi plausible once upon a time. Still Hibs though. The dayjob means more.

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 04:07 PM
disagree completely. tell that to the lads that played for scotland the other night. some off whom will feature in this seasons champions league, bottom of the group, fighting together for a win and to scrape themselves off the bottom of the group for the sake of the country and the fans that made the journey.

Not just Scotland I'm talking about. Yes they done well. But CL football is where they all want to play at.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Not just Scotland I'm talking about. Yes they done well. But CL football is where they all want to play at.

so the likes of barry bannan and stevie naismith and stevie whittaker who all bust a gut and will probably never get another sniff at c/l football all just dream of playing in the c/l and not for their country then?

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 04:17 PM
so the likes of barry bannan and stevie naismith and stevie whittaker who all bust a gut and will probably never get another sniff at c/l football all just dream of playing in the c/l and not for their country then?

No course not. Think your missing my point here. There are guys who do well for Scotland and will give their all. But if you asked them playing for Scotland or doing well in the CL you may be surprised. Guys like Gareth Bale for example. Sure he wants to do well for Wales but I bet you my morgage if he had a CL final or a play off or a World Cup game given the choice I'd say he'd pick the CL. The appeal isn't there like it was with Baxter, John Greig etc.. Played. Football has changed a lot money talks and players are no longer just all about their country. If you think different fair enough.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
No course not. Think your missing my point here. There are guys who do well for Scotland and will give their all. But if you asked them playing for Scotland or doing well in the CL you may be surprised. Guys like Gareth Bale for example. Sure he wants to do well for Wales but I bet you my morgage if he had a CL final or a play off or a World Cup game given the choice I'd say he'd pick the CL. The appeal isn't there like it was with Baxter, John Greig etc.. Played. Football has changed a lot money talks and players are no longer just all about their country. If you think different fair enough.

disagree completely, every pro wants to be playing at the top of their game, thats in the c/l and international level and the highest level for their club. you would be hard pushed to find a player that says different. unless they have retired from international level.

Hibbyradge
12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Hibs. Obviously.

Nothing to do with the hypothetical score being 7 - 0 or the opponents being Hearts.

Another interesting poll might be to ask if folk would be happy to trade a Scottish Cup against Hearts for Easter Road Stadium. :wink:

Franck Stanton
12-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Hibs win [against anyone, in any competition] rather than a Scotland win. Hate international football as it interferes with my Saturday "Fix" of seeing Hibs.

Owain_1987
12-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hibs as well I have watched Hibs my all life over many seasons and have gone through every emotion possible, as with Scotland beating England 7-0 in a world cup final would be insane but I would still have to pick Hibs.

jane_says
12-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Tough one but I'd go against the grain and say Scotland winning the World Cup. One of the best times in town was when we played Italy at Hampden and got beat in the last minute. Atmosphere was unbelievable anywhere you went.

Plus I was Scottish before I was a hibby.

Bunter
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Hibs every single time.
I make no apology about believing in club before country. I'm a Hibs supporter first, last and everything in between.

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 04:47 PM
disagree completely, every pro wants to be playing at the top of their game, thats in the c/l and international level and the highest level for their club. you would be hard pushed to find a player that says different. unless they have retired from international level.

That's what I'm saying, they want to do well at both but I honestly think most footballers would choose the club in this day and age.

brian6-2
12-09-2013, 04:49 PM
That's what I'm saying, they want to do well at both but I honestly think most footballers would choose the club in this day and age.

Thats obviously your opinion and thats fair enough but i would disagree, when you were a lad growing up the dream was the world cup final, not the c/l final :wink: (or scoring the winner against hearts)

hfc rd
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Both.

stu in nottingham
12-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Another interesting poll might be to ask if folk would be happy to trade a Scottish Cup against Hearts for Easter Road Stadium. :wink:

An unbelievable scenario.

Oh wait...

Thecat23
12-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Thats obviously your opinion and thats fair enough but i would disagree, when you were a lad growing up the dream was the world cup final, not the c/l final :wink: (or scoring the winner against hearts)

It was for us I agree. I'm only 35 but back then I used to dream that. I know a couple of players and sadly one or two would choose club. Have to say one guy who wouldn't was Kenny, he loved playing for Scotland.

The winner against hearts i played out in my local park Prob over 100 times :D

Sir David Gray
12-09-2013, 05:09 PM
I would vote for Hibs to win a pre-season friendly match against Albion Rovers over a Scotland victory, every single day of the week.

It's not something I even have to think about.

1068gary
12-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Sorry Scotland, but Hibs every time!!:flag:

Bad Martini
12-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Back in the real world you don't need to pick and in fact can dream off both!!

This real world thing is barry :D

HibbyAndy
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I cudnae give a flying **** about scotland.

Hibs EVERY time.

matty_f
12-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Hibs. No question.

blackpoolhibs
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
It has to be hibs for me, i'm starting to enjoy the international games a bit more but Hibs are on my mind every day, i can't say the same for Scotland.

Weststandwanab
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Hibs.

Every. Day. Of. The. Week.Every day of the rest of my life, without a shadow of a doubt.

Eyrie
12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Hibs every time.

I gave up on our national football team back in the 90s when they lost 5-0 to Portugal and can't remember the last time I watched them play or did more than skim read a match report.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-09-2013, 07:23 PM
It has to be hibs for me, i'm starting to enjoy the international games a bit more but Hibs are on my mind every day, i can't say the same for Scotland.

this.

Keith_M
12-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Irrespective of the score or oponent, it has to be Hibs.

However, if it came to a trade between winning the Cup and potentially losing the stadium, or even the club, through unsustainable spending, that would be just stupid. I'll leave that to other supports, I'm no use at baking cakes.

Andy74
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
It's not even close!

Hibbyradge
12-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Back in the real world you don't need to pick and in fact can dream off both!!

This real world thing is barry :D

I didn't have you down as a bottler.

Steve20
13-09-2013, 06:37 AM
I'd take Hibs winning tomorrow at St Johnstone over Scotland winning the World Cup.

The Gorf
13-09-2013, 07:38 AM

or

No brainer this one. Hibs any day of the week.
I am still patriotic to Scotland but Hibs are my club till I die.
:flag:

erin go bragh
13-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Im a proud Scot but its Hibs all the way .would be brilliant if Scotland could qualify for a Euro/world as its brutal missing out every 2 years . But a league and cup double ,,every freaking time for me .

Ggtth

PeterboroHibee
13-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I do enjoy watching Scotland games (although not much recently), but theres no situation where I would pick a Scotland win over Hibs.

snooky
13-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Years ago I may have slightly pondered however, these days the Scotland team isn't really Scottish.
It's made up of players who qualify because their granny had a Skye terrier, or the like.
Actually it was no contest then - and not even a question now.

yekimevol
13-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Always scotland, Country over club. If it was almost anything else it would be hibs.

francobaresi
13-09-2013, 02:43 PM
League and cup double over anyone, hooya...

HibbyAndy
13-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I'd take Hibs winning tomorrow at St Johnstone over Scotland winning the World Cup.

Snap.

Holmesdale Hibs
13-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Snap.

Nah, no chance. I'd pick Hibs from the 2 options available but you'd seriously rather see us beat St Johnstone than Scotland win the World Cup? No chance. Hibs edge it but not by much.

Seveno
13-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Scotland winning the World Cup would be wonderful and sharing the euphoria with the rest of the country would be a great experience.

Seeing Hibs win the Scottish Cup is something in which i have invetaed every emotion for 50 years. I would be in tears for at least 2 days and living on a cloud for a year. So no contest really.

seven nowt
13-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Scotland to win the World Cup would be my choice. Would be an amazing feeling if we could win the Scottish cup though. But think of the pride if Scotland won the World Cup, the whole world looking up to us and not to forget the celebrations - would be like nothing else!!

monteddie
14-09-2013, 01:09 AM

or

You have a great imagination…..I’ll have some of what you are smoking.

Pete
14-09-2013, 02:04 AM
I'd pick Scotland...only because I believe we are doing the double this season anyway.:greengrin

Think about all these poor sods who support teams like Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath and Falkirk who have never seen their team win a trophy. A league and cup double would be great but 2007 was also great. Share the glory!

We have more chance of winning the double than Scotland have of reaching a tournament and actually getting out of a group. A penalty shoot out would feel like a trophy won for the national team.

Bad Martini
17-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I didn't have you down as a bottler.

Nothing to bottle here Mr Radge...

It's like asking someone to pick which arm to have amputated. If someone writes a law that says you cannot have a national team and club team, I'll give it thought. Til then I'll support my local team and the country where I was born and live.

Sorted.

basehibby
17-09-2013, 12:51 PM
It's a pretty tough call - I love Scotland and just getting past the first round of the finals would be immense never mind winning the thing!

Having said that, Hibs is my full time football obsession and I have invested a lot more emotional energy in the Hibees over the years - so a league championship together with 7-0 tanking of the Yams in the SC Final (aye right - that's assuming they could overcome the might of Inverurie Locos et al in the 1st round) would just squeak by the much more likely Scotland WC final victory in my pantheon of total fantasies.

Islington Hibs
17-09-2013, 01:48 PM
No debate Hibs every day of the week!

Wilson
17-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Nothing to bottle here Mr Radge...

It's like asking someone to pick which arm to have amputated. If someone writes a law that says you cannot have a national team and club team, I'll give it thought. Til then I'll support my local team and the country where I was born and live.

Sorted.

Well I'm right handed so I'll say left.

JIm
17-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Scotland for me. Country over club every day of the week.

A strong national team means a strong infrastructure below, we'd end up winning the Scottish anyway just to top it off.

I'd probably celebrate by setting off loads of pyro also :wink: :thumbsup:

Bad Martini
17-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Well I'm right handed so I'll say left.

You never know when you'll need both arms mate :D